PDA

View Full Version : Hairston traded to the A's

Bolt Cola
07-05-2009, 08:00 PM
Hairston just got shipped to oakland for people i've never heard of.

http://sandiego.padres.mlb.com/news/press_releases/press_release.jsp?ymd=20090705&content_id=5719826&vkey=pr_sd&fext=.jsp&c_id=sd

SDFAN08
07-05-2009, 08:14 PM
What the heck are the Padres doing trading a player that is actually doing something on the team, while that BUM!!! Giles is still here. I hope Giles will be the next to go after he comes off the DL.

dv82u
07-05-2009, 09:03 PM
What the heck are the Padres doing trading a player that is actually doing something on the team, while that BUM!!! Giles is still here. I hope Giles will be the next to go after he comes off the DL.

Why are you surprised? They need to keep that payroll to 40M. Period.

SDFAN08
07-05-2009, 09:28 PM
Why are you surprised? They need to keep that payroll to 40M. Period.

At least he went to the A's. We know they are good signers at ST.

Jay21
07-05-2009, 11:32 PM
Wow...

Hairston has been a lot of fun to watch this season, and he's been our best offensive player outside of Adrian this year... but I can't help but feel that it's only a matter of time before he comes back down to earth as a 240-250 hitter who'll only blast ~15..maybe 20 HRs a season. At least we traded him while his value is high, and hopefully these young guys will help round out our rotation/bullpen in a couple years.

EDIT: this is interesting...

http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/9773158/A%27s-get-OF-Hairston-from-Pads-for-minor-leaguers

The player to be named later is key to the deal from the Padres' perspective, according to a major-league source. That player will be announced at the end of the month.

Perhaps that means we're going to get someone currently on the DL (IIRC, you can't trade players unless they are active) at either the minor or major league level.

gochargers.21
07-06-2009, 12:01 AM
Wow...

Hairston has been a lot of fun to watch this season, and he's been our best offensive player outside of Adrian this year... but I can't help but feel that it's only a matter of time before he comes back down to earth as a 240-250 hitter who'll only blast ~15..maybe 20 HRs a season. At least we traded him while his value is high, and hopefully these young guys will help round out our rotation/bullpen in a couple years

If what we got for him is for when his value is high, Id hate to see what we'd get if his value was low. We mine as well have traded him for a dozen bats, like that minor league player several years back.

RandomTask
07-06-2009, 07:37 AM
That so funny that the rumors had him going to the Giants and he gets traded across the bay instead. Maybe KT didn't want to trade within the division. I didn't realize the A's were "contenders". I thought they were going to trade Holliday. Maybe that's the move they'll make now that they have Hairston. Oh well trade Kooz to the Mariners and let the youth movement begin! Hairston was a good player for the Pads and on a team that's devoid of talent he was a "superstar". On any other team he's a 4th outfielder.

Jay21
07-06-2009, 04:09 PM
That so funny that the rumors had him going to the Giants and he gets traded across the bay instead. Maybe KT didn't want to trade within the division.

That could be. Or, if we're to believe the rumors, it's probably because the Giants wanted to pawn off Jonathan Sanchez on us and call it a deal.

RandomTask
07-06-2009, 06:03 PM
That could be. Or, if we're to believe the rumors, it's probably because the Giants wanted to pawn off Jonathan Sanchez on us and call it a deal.

Sanchez reminds me a bit of Oliver Perez. Great stuff when he's "on", very beatable when he's not. I wouldn't have been unhappy with that deal. Padres need more starters (Walter Silva) and it would have nice to have a lefty.

Jay21
07-06-2009, 10:48 PM
Sanchez reminds me a bit of Oliver Perez. Great stuff when he's "on", very beatable when he's not. I wouldn't have been unhappy with that deal. Padres need more starters (Walter Silva) and it would have nice to have a lefty.

I can see that, but I wouldn't put Sanchez on the same level as Ollie is (was?). I agree with you that Sanchez is very on-and-off, seemingly by month. But, at least Ollie could put together a good season when he stayed healthy. Sanchez, in what is now 4 years in the big leagues, has inconsistent, but consistent in his overall play. I don't see any reason to believe that he is suddenly going to stop being a ~5 ERA pitcher, regardless of whether he starts or plays relief. The thing I worry about, should the Pads have taken the Giants' offer, is that we would wind up with nothing to show for it. If Sanchez continued to put up the numbers he has been, then we likely don't offer him arbitration in 2(?) years, and let him leave. Maybe we get a very young and/or lousy relief pitcher in return when it gets to that point.

jhasley
07-09-2009, 12:16 AM
shows no commitment to winning

this team only wants to make money..
they bs us all the time saying they dont have the money to compete

bobbyC1987
07-09-2009, 01:34 AM
As a fan I am not happy with this move at all.....for now. When SH drops back to earth and starts playing like he should we'll all feel better. The thing I don't understand is the baseball part of this deal for us, Scott may not continue playing at this level, but he has been fairly consistent with us and has given some much needed protection for Adrian, I understand dealing him while the value is there, but the value (for now) doesn't seem to be that high (pending the player to be named). I understand the financial aspect, but why not dump Giles for a low level pitcher or two and keep the younger, more productive and cheaper player? I understand why we made this trade but some aspects of it are still a little fuzzy, things will be (hopefully) a little more clear when that player to be named is named.

And for some people don't get so mad about the front office showing no commitment to winning, we weren't going to even come close to winning anything this year anyway, we are a rebuilding team, it will take time. Just look at the Bolts, we were trash in the early 2000's and then a plan was made to build the team and look where we are now, let's just be patient and hope the Pads can get the right people to do the same.

501chARgerguy
07-09-2009, 10:03 AM
That's how we do it baby! Get rid of our good/decent players for 2-3 players you need to google their name because you've never heard of them.

I just LOVE the management of this team!!! No need to win a WS whatsoever. Just win enough to keep your job. Seems like the US Government took over the Padres FO.

chargerpadre19
07-09-2009, 11:36 AM
really? I hope this is as good as the Adrian Gonzalez and Chris Young trade, but I don't think it was a good trade, how can we trade for two players with sky high ERAs

Jay21
07-09-2009, 01:09 PM
I understand the financial aspect, but why not dump Giles for a low level pitcher or two and keep the younger, more productive and cheaper player?

Towers is probably trying, and finding no takers. If Giles was still producing, then I'd agree that we should trade him (and probably would have by now). But, since he's hitting at the Mendoza line, and his walks are down, I don't see him having any value. The Padres would likely have to eat his salary, maybe throw in some cash, and pray for a bag of used balls in return

Bolt Cola
07-09-2009, 07:11 PM
Giles will not be shipped off...as much as I'd like to see it happen, he has a no trade clause, and even if he accepted a trade there is anothe clause that would give him an extra $2 million... the Padres will have to either cut him and eat the entire cost of his current contract or let him play it out on the bench when he returns from the DL...i really hope they just waive him

Jay21
07-10-2009, 10:21 PM
You know, Jonathan Sanchez isn't looking so bad right now...

...but that's probably because he's going up against an astute lineup with hitters that would never swing at a pitch that hits them :mad:

jhasley
07-10-2009, 10:40 PM
You know, Jonathan Sanchez isn't looking so bad right now...

...but that's probably because he's going up against an astute lineup with hitters that would never swing at a pitch that hits them :mad:

its not tough vs a AA team

this team is truly pathetic and the ownership is worse

RandomTask
07-11-2009, 09:41 AM
I can see that, but I wouldn't put Sanchez on the same level as Ollie is (was?). I agree with you that Sanchez is very on-and-off, seemingly by month. But, at least Ollie could put together a good season when he stayed healthy. Sanchez, in what is now 4 years in the big leagues, has inconsistent, but consistent in his overall play. I don't see any reason to believe that he is suddenly going to stop being a ~5 ERA pitcher, regardless of whether he starts or plays relief. The thing I worry about, should the Pads have taken the Giants' offer, is that we would wind up with nothing to show for it. If Sanchez continued to put up the numbers he has been, then we likely don't offer him arbitration in 2(?) years, and let him leave. Maybe we get a very young and/or lousy relief pitcher in return when it gets to that point.

Is it too late to make the Hairston trade for Sanchez?