PDA

View Full Version : Mat Latos - Bright Spot 09

Air Norv
08-09-2009, 01:56 PM
In the wake of the Peavy trade, Mat Latos has been a huge bright spot in the bull pen. Only being 21, some think he could develop into an excellent ace.

“His stuff is very similar to (Tim) Lincecum,” said Padres catcher Eliezer Alfonzo, formerly a teammate of the 2008 Cy Young Award winner. “Very good stuff.”
What sets Latos apart from most young pitchers, Black said, is that he has three out pitches.

“A lot of pitchers rely on the called strike for the (strikeout),” Black said. “But with him, there's a strikeout in all three pitches. The fastball has enough life on it. The breaking ball has enough depth on it. And the changeup has enough variance in velocity.”
Two weeks ago in Washington, Padres CEO Jeff Moorad encountered former client Adam Dunn following Latos' first major-league victory, a 6-2 win over the Nationals.
“He said, 'Hey, Jeff, that kid's the best young pitcher I've seen in years,' ” Moorad recalled. “I said, 'Is that right?' He said, 'Unbelievable. Delivery right over the top, painted both sides at 96-98 (miles per hour) all night long. I've never seen anything like that, in a young pitcher especially.'”

http://media.scout.com/Media/Image/44/440650.jpg

http://www3.signonsandiego.com/stories/2009/aug/08/padres-sullivan-latos-look-potential-ace25847/?padres

Bolt Cola
08-09-2009, 02:03 PM
I have been to 3 of his 5 starts...and hopefully 2 more before the Padres shut him down for the season....this kid definitely will play a role next year in our rotation. I also like Clayton Richard, the lefty we got in the Peavy deal.

RandomTask
08-10-2009, 12:31 PM
I REALLY like what I've seen from him. I see improvement in each of his starts. His first start he was throwing rather than pitching and trying to strike everyone out with his fastball. Next he started mixing his pitches better. His most recent start I started to see some emotion from him especially when the ump didn't give him a call. I LIKE to see that. I think he has problems with leftys (giving up the long ball) and holding on runners but these are things they can work on in bullpen sessions and spring training. I'd like to see him "pitch to contact" and get more quick outs so he can go a little deeper in games. It might be a little early but I think he certainly has the "stuff".