PDA

View Full Version : Smoke Free QualcommStadium.

Maruchan
08-25-2009, 09:51 AM
The city of San Diego (http://www.nbcsandiego.com/topics?topic=San+Diego+Chargers) decided three years ago that fans should not smoke inside Qualcomm Stadium (http://www.nbcsandiego.com/topics?topic=Qualcomm+Stadium) and now they really mean it.
San Diego’s city council approved a smoking ban in August 2006, prohibiting fans from smoking inside the stadium except for in designated smoking areas.
Now, according to the San Diego Union-Tribune (http://www3.signonsandiego.com/stories/2009/aug/25/smoking-areas-stadium-eliminated/?metro&zIndex=154863), that ban is being enforced this year. Really.
In a fact-sheet for fans, the Chargers mention the ban. “Per City of San Diego ordinance, Qualcomm Stadium is a smoke-free facility (http://www.chargers.com/news/press-releases/article-1/key-information-for-fans-attending-games-at-qualcomm-stadium/bf25ead4-00d0-421d-ab44-e53b085710b3). Smoking is not allowed inside the stadium.”
What's different this time around is that the designated smoking areas created for fans after the 2006 ban are no longer available.
The stadium manager told the UT that the decision to eliminate designated smoking areas was made with the team, the police department and the mayor's office. Fans can still smoke in the parking lot.
Qualcomm (http://www.nbcsandiego.com/topics?topic=QUALCOMM+Inc.) was the first football stadium in California (http://www.nbcsandiego.com/topics?topic=California) to go smoke-free. Cigarettes were banned beginning October 2006. Chargers and Aztecs fans had to step outside the stadium to smoke. They were allowed to re-enter.
In September 2007, more than 50 people were ejected for smoking at the first Chargers home game. Thirteen of those were given misdemeanor citations by San Diego police officers.
What if you do light up despite the ban? You could be thrown out of the game and fined $136.
only smoke allowed is from the Cannon alley.....

If a repost...Mods Delete/merge...

vheman
08-25-2009, 10:08 AM
I noticed that reader comments in the U-T included fans saying they wouldn't have purchased season tickets if they'd known smoking was going to be banned.
I find that hard to believe.

norcalcharger
08-25-2009, 10:12 AM
Smoking is a disgusting habit anyway...Why should the few of us that don't need a cig every 5 minutes have to endure those smelly cancer sticks anyway....You want a smoke? Put your lips around your exhaust pipe next time you feel the urge to light up and I bet 1 of 2 things will happen, you'll quit smoking or you'll quit breathing. Signed: An Ex-SMoker

Jawlz
08-25-2009, 10:23 AM
Whatever @ the ban, don't care. But misdemeanor charges? Seriously? That is an excessive penalty, IMO.

Bolt4Life
08-25-2009, 10:27 AM
I don't get whats wrong with smoking at the stadium. I don't smoke too much, only about 7 cigs a game. I even got a specialized hole in my throat that is the perfect size for a cig. Damn

Maverick
08-25-2009, 10:31 AM
awesome! i love it....finally, no more lung rot from going back & forth to the concession stands.

Edoubledeezy
08-25-2009, 10:34 AM
I've gone to many games and only came across one smoker. It was my boss, and he was smoking a cigar in the plaza...no one said anything to him.

3rd&Long
08-25-2009, 10:43 AM
While I appreciate that there is no longer smoking in the seating area of the Q, it seems excessive that they would take away the designated smoking areas for those that choose to smoke. It's also a BS move to not really publicize it to the season ticket holders. To me, it sounds like a Jim Steeg thing...since he's come aboard, it's become less fan friendly and more about squeezing extra $$$ out of many long time fans.

mdsd77
08-25-2009, 10:57 AM
Dam it there go the hot chicks that smoke (they are usually 10 times more fun)

daniel dugdale
08-25-2009, 11:09 AM
my dad has been a season ticket for many decades. A smoker even longer, he will not be pleased!

If you can go out to the parking lot to smoke then I guess its fine....whats another 20 feet of walking. But currently they have the no re-entry policy. So this is kinda cloudy.

Lucid
08-25-2009, 11:12 AM
Kinda seems silly knowing that they ban smoking but still have unhealthy food.

After all obesity kills more people than smoking.

SDFeather
08-25-2009, 11:16 AM
While I appreciate that there is no longer smoking in the seating area of the Q, it seems excessive that they would take away the designated smoking areas for those that choose to smoke. It's also a BS move to not really publicize it to the season ticket holders. To me, it sounds like a Jim Steeg thing...since he's come aboard, it's become less fan friendly and more about squeezing extra $$$ out of many long time fans.

I think they are pushing for more of a family environment. Those designated smoking areas are marked by lines but that cloud of smoke covers the whole walkway. When you are walking past the area (and in my case with little kids) it's pretty bad. They can walk the extra 25 feet outside the stadium where they don't have to huddle and make one huge hot box.....

batgeek
08-25-2009, 11:20 AM
you can still smoke in California? would have thought the Republik of Kalifornia outlawed that by now because they know whats good for you more than you do.

Shu420
08-25-2009, 11:23 AM
So What!? There are no desinated smoking areas....that would be terrible

Jawlz
08-25-2009, 11:25 AM
Sounds like they should change the re-entry policy (honestly, when did it become no-reentry anyways? I can't remember).

Da_Cha-gers
08-25-2009, 11:51 AM
I think they are pushing for more of a family environment. Those designated smoking areas are marked by lines but that cloud of smoke covers the whole walkway. When you are walking past the area (and in my case with little kids) it's pretty bad. They can walk the extra 25 feet outside the stadium where they don't have to huddle and make one huge hot box.....

So is banning beer, wine, alcohol next? .....

You mention little kids ..... I'm honestly curious about something, if they attend school, do you or your kids have the "option" (one way or another) to either pray/or not, or say the pledge of allegence/or not? .... was that completely banned?

This is a serious/legit question as I attended school quite a few yrs ago when it was being done/allowed, however, I've read there have been changes in more recent yrs.

"IF" true that it was banned, maybe they'll come after the national anthem at some point?

Go Chargers! :logo

Time4aRing
08-25-2009, 12:00 PM
I understand if it is a problem for those walking by the designated areas, but there has to be some solution. There should be some way for smokers to take a break, without disturbing others and having to go way out of their way to do so. P.S. You shouldn't bash someone for a personal preference, your just as bad for discriminating against smokers. Signed, by non-smoker.

biermacht
08-25-2009, 12:07 PM
Wahhh! I can't smoke at the football game. Priorities people. Chargers #1, everything else secondary. If you can't go without a cig for 3 hours you need to start practicing. Or just sniff your clothes during the game, should be able to get some excess tar and nicotine out of those.

I wish they would ban alcohol at the stadium, it would save me a lot of money.

sdcfan720
08-25-2009, 12:08 PM

After all obesity kills more people than smoking.haha that reminds me of a south park episode with rob reiner trying to outlaw smoking all the while he is gorgoing himself on every unhealthy food known to man.

giant squid
08-25-2009, 12:08 PM
I understand if it is a problem for those walking by the designated areas, but there has to be some solution. There should be some way for smokers to take a break, without disturbing others and having to go way out of their way to do so. P.S. You shouldn't bash someone for a personal preference, your just as bad for discriminating against smokers. Signed, by non-smoker.

You'd think that if someone is paying for a ticket they'd have that option available to them.

I get some of you don't like smokers. I don't like annoying drunks. Are they going to fix that problem too? Because the annoying drunk population is always more abundant than the smokers.

Or how about this... Everyone just put up with everyone else's dumb habits and shut up about it.

giant squid
08-25-2009, 12:09 PM
Wahhh! I can't smoke at the football game. Priorities people. Chargers #1, everything else secondary. If you can't go without a cig for 3 hours you need to start practicing. Or just sniff your clothes during the game, should be able to get some excess tar and nicotine out of those.

I wish they would ban alcohol at the stadium, it would save me a lot of money.

No, thanks. I'll just stay at home and contribute to the blackout.

Da_Cha-gers
08-25-2009, 12:11 PM
you can still smoke in California? would have thought the Republik of Kalifornia outlawed that by now because they know whats good for you more than you do.

Big brother just looking out for your well being :rolleyes:

I wish the gov't would simply disburse factual, honest info without the bias propaganda and scare tactics while trying to dictate what people should or shouldn't do.

Many yrs ago there was an anti-marijuana campaign known as "reefer madness" ..... if you smoked it - you'd go crazy and/or insane!, they said ..... now, some are talking about legalizing and taxing it ..... :crazy:

I find it kinda humorous the pres of the United States is a closet smoker because of the negative stigma.

Bolt4Life
08-25-2009, 12:12 PM
You'd think that if someone is paying for a ticket they'd have that option available to them.

I get some of you don't like smokers. I don't like annoying drunks. Are they going to fix that problem too? Because the annoying drunk population is always more abundant than the smokers.

Or how about this... Everyone just put up with everyone else's dumb habits and shut up about it.

Yeah they should ban beer too. Because atleast with the smoking they had areas for it. With the beer they have the entire stadium.

giant squid
08-25-2009, 12:16 PM
Yeah they should ban beer too. Because atleast with the smoking they had areas for it. With the beer they have the entire stadium.

Exactly. You mean some people can't go 3 and a half hours without a beer?

I'm just using some of the reasoning in this thread.

How about no children either. I mean, kids are pretty annoying. Sometimes they leave turds in their pants and that smells. The only good thing kids have over smokes is that they don't give you cancer. But I think I'd rather have cancer than have a kid haha

zackalacka
08-25-2009, 12:22 PM
this is downright unconstitutional.

Lucid
08-25-2009, 12:23 PM
haha that reminds me of a south park episode with rob reiner trying to outlaw smoking all the while he is gorgoing himself on every unhealthy food known to man.

Ding, ding, ding... winner!

Good to know we both get our news from the same media outlets

biermacht
Here's the bottom line. Smokers are in the minority. The average fan and Chargers organization doesn't care for them. Now if the Chargers made money off of your addiction they would have huge designated areas for you. Would you like them to not allow you to bring in your own cigarettes and allow you to pay a 400% markup. That''s what they do to us alcoholics. So cheer up it's not so bad. Come on, it's only 3 hours.

Would you like a cigarette with your hot dog ma'am?

Bolt4Life

How about no children either. I mean, kids are pretty annoying. Sometimes they leave turds in their pants and that smells. The only good thing kids have over smokes is that they don't give you cancer. But I think I'd rather have cancer than have a kid haha

I personally don't smoke. But if people want to have a cigar at half time in the designated area, then let them. Beer starts more trouble and kills more people than smoking does. Someone will die from a AIDS, and if they smoked one cigarette in their life they will blame the cigarette.

zackalacka
08-25-2009, 12:25 PM
Big brother just looking out for your well being :rolleyes:

I wish the gov't would simply disburse factual, honest info without the bias propaganda and scare tactics while trying to dictate what people should or shouldn't do.

Many yrs ago there was an anti-marijuana campaign known as "reefer madness" ..... if you smoked it - you'd go crazy and/or insane!, they said ..... now, some are talking about legalizing and taxing it ..... :crazy:

I find it kinda humorous the pres of the United States is a closet smoker because of the negative stigma.

...they still lie about marijuana on a regular basis. they also spend billions incarcerating non-violent otherwise law abiding people. but that's a whole other rant.

Lucid
08-25-2009, 12:26 PM
...they still lie about marijuana on a regular basis. they also spend billions incarcerating non-violent otherwise law abiding people. but that's a whole other rant.

You mean Cheech and Chong are fugitives on the run?

BleedBolts
08-25-2009, 12:26 PM
I think this is a very biased stance. It is okay for people to buy alcohol and drink it right in their seats, act belligerent and enjoy the game. Now if you are a cig smoker you are asked to completely leave the stadium, this doens't sound too fare. I am not a smoker but I do drink. I just think that fare is fare and if people are allowed to act all crazy while drinking at a game, a person that smokes cigs should be allowed to enjoy what he or she may like. I have never seen a smoker cause trouble or get into any fights. I am not saying that I think drinking at the games should be baned but how about not having double standards. Leave a place for them to go that won't take a whole quarter to finish their business and let them be. If they want to stop the air from being polluted, invest in a room like most airports have, that smokers can go in and not bother anyone.

SDynasty
08-25-2009, 12:29 PM
I think this is a very biased stance. It is okay for people to buy alcohol and drink it right in their seats, act belligerent and enjoy the game. Now if you are a cig smoker you are asked to completely leave the stadium, this doens't sound too fare. I am not a smoker but I do drink. I just think that fare is fare and if people are allowed to act all crazy while drinking at a game, a person that smokes cigs should be allowed to enjoy what he or she may like. I have never seen a smoker cause trouble or get into any fights. I am not saying that I think drinking at the games should be baned but how about not having double standards. Leave a place for them to go that won't take a whole quarter to finish their business and let them be. If they want to stop the air from being polluted, invest in a room like most airports have, that smokers can go in and not bother anyone.

second hand smoke KILLS people

next

thehotdelancey
08-25-2009, 12:29 PM

I think mandatory diaper checks are in line, I recall a thread on here about a guy who wanted to wear a diaper to the charger game so he didn't have to wait in line to go to the bathroom at the Murph. . .

Many stadiums are non smoking, you can't just sit there and smoke in your seats because you might bother other folks. Go to the designated smoking area. If they don't provide one, or enough, then call, email, and complain like hell and let your voice be heard. Thats likely why this is going to be enforced anyways.

And don't be too afraid of a misdemeanor citation, it sounds a lot worse than it actually is. Consider it a speeding ticket, if you may. Many security/police personnel use discretion in choosing who to give citations to. Some people will listen and choose not to smoke when asked firmly and politely not to, as the threat of punishment scares them away. Others will light up even if asked to if they think they can get away with it and need the citation to give that punishment to discourage the behavior.

Bolt Cola
08-25-2009, 12:30 PM

yeah...because my drinking beer leads directly to your liver problems

Lucid
08-25-2009, 12:30 PM
Have they banned farting yet?

thehotdelancey
08-25-2009, 12:33 PM

I have. . . . .but I won't generalize people like that and take such a biased stance for/against someone based on the activity they partake in. Discrimination usually gets people in trouble.

Speling is you're freind.

biermacht
08-25-2009, 12:34 PM

Life isn't fair. Alcohol is a huge cash cow. I don't see cigarette sales being very high at the Q. I'm sure the Chargers get much more complaints about belligerent drunks than the smoke. But cash is king.

BleedBolts
08-25-2009, 12:35 PM

next

Good points man, so does drinking and driving. I am guessing that you didn't read my post because you clearly missed the very last sentence. There should be a room for the smokers to go and not have it affect people like yourself.

NEXT!

BleedBolts
08-25-2009, 12:36 PM
I have. . . . .but I won't generalize people like that and take such a biased stance for/against someone based on the activity they partake in. Discrimination usually gets people in trouble.

Speling is you're freind.

Speling? sorry if you are going to correct someone, come correct at least!

BoltNut2008
08-25-2009, 12:40 PM

next

Oh, please.... I could see it in a closed in room with 15 chain smokers sitting around a non smoker for years possibly causing that, but in an open stadium, and in a designated area... come on. This whole political correctness stuff is getting so old.

Walking down the street in downtown San Diego or any other metropolitan area is most likely more dangerous than second hand smoke. If the PC crowd has their way, we'll all be using the 'ol horse and buggy. LOL

Folks that want to have a smoke are treated like some kind of pariah any more. The government keeps taxing tobacco products more and more telling us it's for 'educating' people about the dangers of smoking.... what a load of BS.

Lightiningsmack
08-25-2009, 12:43 PM
Smoking in the seating areas and the halls is gross but the designated smoking area was alright since there was a screen to watch the game and it was away from kids and non-smokers.

After 3-4 beers a smoke is nice but to have that smoke you'll have to exit the stadium lol.

I should bring a couple sticks of nicotine gum because I hate milking chews

sbboundbolts
08-25-2009, 12:44 PM
Ban Ray Lewis from week 2 imo.

zackalacka
08-25-2009, 12:46 PM
all you self righteous anti-smokers are so easy to get up in arms for something that really doesn't effect you unless you allow it... just wait until your freedoms are infringed upon. this is america, damnit. you don't have to like or agree with what other people are doing, but refusing to respect their right to do it is ignorant and unamerican. this whole sense of "i'm doing the healthy thing" is just so hypocritical.

how about this, if you are so stuck up that you can't enjoy yourself at a game because someone is smoking a cig outside the seating area...you probably should just stay home. get over yourself.

Da_Cha-gers
08-25-2009, 12:51 PM

Good post! ..... a fair and reasonable "solution" of some sort should be sought between both (those that do and those that don't).

There's no doubt this is a hot button issue ..... and it's always easier to take away someone elses right than to give up our own (what ever happened to compromise?). What may not affect you today (non smoker) may affect you tomorrow (beer, wine, alcohol, red meat, junk food, tanning and on and on).

Is freedom of choice going by the wayside in favor of judging/dictating etc ???

BleedBolts
08-25-2009, 12:54 PM
Good post! ..... a fair and reasonable "solution" of some sort should be sought between both (those that do and those that don't).

There's no doubt this is a hot button issue ..... and it's always easier to take away someone elses right than to give up our own (what ever happened to compromise?). What may not affect you today (non smoker) may affect you tomorrow (beer, wine, alcohol, red meat, junk food, tanning and on and on).

Is freedom of choice going by the wayside in favor of judging/dictating etc ???

Very well put. Just because some people on here dont smoke, and neither do I for the record, doesn't mean that tomorrow something that you enjoy could be banned from the stadium. Then what, you will jump on the other side because it now affects you? Lets get real people, we are taking rights from people and soon yours will be taken as well. Stand up for whats right, not what suites just you!

Lucid
08-25-2009, 12:58 PM
If only there was some way of isolating air into a given area and purifying the exhaust...

Darn.

Oh well, I have to go work on my air handler and exhaust fans now

(for more information see mechanical engineering 101)

SilentMichael
08-25-2009, 12:59 PM
Well, you can say that this announcement, although not publicized, is "fan friendly" to the non-smokers, which is the majority.

I mean, smoking is really annoying, to me at least. Nasty cig smoke is in the air, with the wind blowing it everywhere. Not really a great experience. And then they come back from their smoke break and smell like their cigarette, yummy.

Anyone with a family member or friend that smokes can probably agree with me. I just don't want to be near them until that smell disappears from their body.

defiancy
08-25-2009, 01:00 PM
Very well put. Just because some people on here dont smoke, and neither do I for the record, doesn't mean that tomorrow something that you enjoy could be banned from the stadium. Then what, you will jump on the other side because it now affects you? Lets get real people, we are taking rights from people and soon yours will be taken as well. Stand up for whats right, not what suites just you!

What is right, is that I should be able to take my children to a game and not have to worry about them breathing in cigarette smoke. If they want to put a designated smoking area away from foot traffic and well ventilated I have no problem with that.

What about my and other patrons right to have a smoke free environment? Doesn't smoking especially in areas where I may pass infringe on my rights?

But I don't have a problem with smokers in general, I hope they find a solution or compromise to this situation. I believe smokers should have the ability to light up at the game if they choose, just not near me or other non-smokers.

thehotdelancey
08-25-2009, 01:03 PM
Speling? sorry if you are going to correct someone, come correct at least!

I'm glad that sarcasm didn't go over your head. ;)

BleedBolts
08-25-2009, 01:10 PM
I'm glad that sarcasm didn't go over your head. ;)

Good job smart arse!

Lightiningsmack
08-25-2009, 01:11 PM
What is right, is that I should be able to take my children to a game and not have to worry about them breathing in cigarette smoke. If they want to put a designated smoking area away from foot traffic and well ventilated I have no problem with that.

What about my and other patrons right to have a smoke free environment? Doesn't smoking especially in areas where I may pass infringe on my rights?

But I don't have a problem with smokers in general, I hope they find a solution or compromise to this situation. I believe smokers should have the ability to light up at the game if they choose, just not near me or other non-smokers.

There is no such thing as a smoke free environment. In fact everyday we are exposed to cancer causing particles in the air spewing from industrial waste/byproducts/products, the sun, cars/trucks, wild fires, and even food/water. Unless we all drive Priuses and stop smoking we will all die? Gimme a break you will die one day I'm sorry to break it to you.

Maruchan
08-25-2009, 01:17 PM
Sounds like they should change the re-entry policy (honestly, when did it become no-reentry anyways? I can't remember).
thats an NFL policy not Qualcom/Chargers/City of San diego..

mdsd77
08-25-2009, 01:20 PM
what is wrong with this picture?

the chargers lease the stadium, they have no say?, or too cheap to provide cleanup?

People smoke when they drink, so I say stop selling beer, ooooooh noooooo the chargers would NEVER AGREE TO SUCH A THING!!!!

everyone farts, is that the next polluted air act?

guess no more nachos or spicy dogs for sale??

I quit smoking but man, let the people be, they set aside a place to go smoke and now its the place to hang out and socialize...

and why in the hell did this not come up prior to the preseason?
Ticket sales oh I get it take their money but not let them smoke?

this sucks...for the smokers and the non smokers who actually like some of the smokers...

Maruchan
08-25-2009, 01:23 PM
they did the same for del mar, while the concerts are going on there is no smoking in the venuew.

defiancy
08-25-2009, 01:27 PM
There is no such thing as a smoke free environment. In fact everyday we are exposed to cancer causing particles in the air spewing from industrial waste/byproducts/products, the sun, cars/trucks, wild fires, and even food/water. Unless we all drive Priuses and stop smoking we will all die? Gimme a break you will die one day I'm sorry to break it to you.

That doesn't mean you pour gasoline on the fire. Besides what does any of that crap have to do with smoking at the Q? Absolutely nothing.

Druck
08-25-2009, 01:27 PM

I wish they would ban alcohol at the stadium, it would save me a lot of money.You sound like someone who doesn't smoke. I don't smoke anymore, but when I did I could go through a pack a game EASY. The games are stressful, so you smoke. I think it's pretty weak that they're taking the designated smoking spots out, it was already bad enough to make people go all the way down to the plaza (if, say, you're sitting in view) to smoke but now they're taking out that option too?

But they'll probably do what they do at Petco, let you go right outside the gate with your hand stamped.

Maruchan
08-25-2009, 01:33 PM
But they'll probably do what they do at Petco, let you go right outside the gate with your hand stamped.

thas just it tho, there is a no re-entry policy enforced by the NFL, unless the NFL changes it, there will be no re entry.

knottyone
08-25-2009, 01:34 PM
Smoke 'em if you got 'em!

gazork
08-25-2009, 01:42 PM
Smoke 'em if you got 'em!

I bet they don't say that in the military anymore. Back when I was in -- early 70s' -- I always felt obligated, when they'd shout that out as kind of the break announcement, to have one of my camel unfilters.

I quit in 1984 - best thing I ever did.

Da_Cha-gers
08-25-2009, 01:43 PM

Nice post, pretty fair & reasonable :)

Just curious, while many that choose to drink at the game can be fun and have a good time ..... what are your thoughts on those who might be seated around you and your kids who may have chosen to drink a few too many and are possibly being obnoxious, spewing profanity, or looking to fight etc?

Does that infringe on you and your family's right(s) also?

23skidoo
08-25-2009, 02:03 PM
So, when do they start enforcing Drunk in Public laws at Qualcomm? Breath-alyzers at the gates to get in? On your way out of the stadium?

I smoke. I don't want to get anyone's panties in a knot, so I usually smoke away from people who don't. I also don't need to smoke when I'm at the games, so while it sucks that I can't anymore, I will miss that halftime heater.

For the person who was upset about the smell on the clothes of a smoker, I have now decided that I will never wear deodorant to another game and I will make sure I step in every dog turd in my backyard before heading down to the game. I will make sure I don't smoke though, Where do you sit at the games? I'm looking for season tickets.

BoltNut2008
08-25-2009, 02:04 PM
Smoking in a crowded, enclosed environment is discourteous and not healthy. I'll give you that. I try to always consider the 'airspace' around others before lighting up. Even at home, I smoke outside. It is only common courtesy to not smoke around others who may not appreciate it. Using a designated smoking area is the least I or any other smoker can do in order to respect the rights of others who do not smoke.

On the same line, non smokers should also respect the 'right' of others to engage in this activity if they use the proper designated smoking areas. An example is at any of our local casinos. There are designated non-smoking areas where people who choose not to be exposed to smoke while losing their money. I stay in the smoking area while being seperated from my money. I cannot tell you how many times someone sits beside me and gives me one of those "if looks could kill" glances if I decide to light one up. Some even go as far as to insist that I put it out. I am not one of those who would tell these individuals to go and "pack sand", so I'll put it out. But I feel that I would be totally within my right to do so.

I would hope that common sense and mutual respect would prevail and a designated smoking area would be set up. If I can ever afford to buy Charger tickets again, I would refrain from smoking for the duration of the game since the rules are the rules. It's not impossible to abstain from smoking for that long. But I don't want to be told that I may not light up a smoke at all because of some politician or other 'do gooder' decides they want to be politically correct. And no one can tell me that this isn't what this is all about.

There are much bigger 'fish to fry' than whether or not someone lights up during a Charger game.

defiancy
08-25-2009, 02:04 PM

Just curious, while many that choose to drink at the game can be fun and have a good time ..... what are your thoughts on those who might be seated around you and your kids who may have chosen to drink a few too many and are possibly being obnoxious, spewing profanity, or looking to fight etc?

If fans are to rowdy or aggressive near me I usually either ask them to calm down or just tell the ushers.

But they now that they have the family section I will try to get tickets there so I don't have to worry about the distractions. I have no problem with fans drinking etc, I just ask them to have a little respect for the families. And I will respect that they want to have a good time by trying to get seating in the family section.

Besides a drunk I can handle, I can't do anything about cigarette smoke.

strykr619
08-25-2009, 02:07 PM
Here's the bottom line. Smokers are in the minority. The average fan and Chargers organization doesn't care for them. Now if the Chargers made money off of your addiction they would have huge designated areas for you. Would you like them to not allow you to bring in your own cigarettes and allow you to pay a 400% markup. That''s what they do to us alcoholics. So cheer up it's not so bad. Come on, it's only 3 hours.

Would you like a cigarette with your hot dog ma'am?

I would like to see how much the "smoker" give to the nation's tax coffers, i bet you its more then 30% of the country's whole population, yup we are in the majority alright. Its funny that America is soooo adamant in stomping out smoking yet alcohol is just as bad and they refuse to touch it.

bflag
08-25-2009, 02:28 PM
I have an idea, how about we bubble wrap the whole world so peoples kids don't get a boo boo.

Car accidents kill people every second all over the world so lets ban driving.

I love how some people are so concerned about cigarette smoke yet they stuff there fat faces with fast food, drink alcohol and sit on the couch all day and watch t.v. KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK HYPOCRITES!!

Lightiningsmack
08-25-2009, 02:32 PM
Qualcomm should be a Raider free stadium. LOL if you are wearing a Raider jersey you have to be in the parking lot.

Lucid
08-25-2009, 02:33 PM
How about we enforce our 2nd amendment rights and bring guns to the games.

fuat
08-25-2009, 02:38 PM
Qualcomm should be a Raider free stadium. LOL if you are wearing a Raider jersey you have to be in the parking lot.

Best idea so far! :LightsOut:

gazork
08-25-2009, 02:39 PM
I would like to see how much the "smoker" give to the nation's tax coffers, i bet you its more then 30% of the country's whole population, yup we are in the majority alright. Its funny that America is soooo adamant in stomping out smoking yet alcohol is just as bad and they refuse to touch it.

Yea, it's amazing anyone would still smoke at these prices; back when I smoked it was .50 or something. Thanks for the tax revenue!

As far as smoking Vs. alcohol at the Q, of course, they are making lots of money on beer.

Luckily for me, I go to the game to see football so I don't even drink there - I won't pay that much for a beer.

To the guy who sometimes sits in the alcohol free section, the Club seats are another good option but more expensive and harder to get. Not many drunks up there at all and the field view is great - don't sit in the 1st row though.

bflag
08-25-2009, 02:40 PM
Just make sure you don't shoot yourself in the foot or you'll get 2 years in prison.

fuat
08-25-2009, 02:41 PM
I guess its official
http://www.chargers.com/news/article-1/city-eliminates-designated-smoking-areas-at-stadium/90ea4da1-ddc4-4747-9fc7-036c7447cf97

City eliminates designated smoking areas at stadium

Casey Pearce
Posted 46 minutes ago

a (http://www.chargers.com/news/article-1/city-eliminates-designated-smoking-areas-at-stadium/90ea4da1-ddc4-4747-9fc7-036c7447cf97#)
a (http://www.chargers.com/news/article-1/city-eliminates-designated-smoking-areas-at-stadium/90ea4da1-ddc4-4747-9fc7-036c7447cf97#)

The City has asked the Chargers and all stadium tenants to adhere to the City of San Diego’s no-smoking ordinance and eliminate all designated smoking areas inside the stadium.

In 2006 the City of San Diego passed an ordinance that banned smoking inside Qualcomm Stadium. Since that time, the team was allowed to provide designated smoking areas inside the stadium.
That has changed this year.
The City has asked the team and all stadium tenants, including San Diego State and other event holders, to adhere to the no-smoking ordinance. The decision to make all stadium tenants adhere to the stadium’s smoke-free policy was made by the City.
“This year the City is strictly enforcing the no-smoking ordinance for all events in the stadium by eliminating designated smoking areas,” said Jim Steeg, the Chargers’ chief operating officer. “Qualcomm Stadium is owned and operated by the City of San Diego. Since the Chargers are merely a tenant in the City’s facility, we will abide by this City ordinance. We appreciate our fans’ feelings on both sides of this issue and hope for their understanding of the City’s ordinance.”
Steeg added that the team has had an overwhelmingly positive response from its season ticket base.
In an effort to provide the safest and most secure environment for its fans, the NFL and the Chargers have a no re-entry policy that does not allow fans to leave and re-enter the building once their ticket has been admitted. Thus fans are not allowed to return if they choose to exit the stadium to smoke.

bflag
08-25-2009, 02:48 PM
I would like to see a poll on this issue.

SDFeather
08-25-2009, 02:53 PM
So is banning beer, wine, alcohol next? .....

You mention little kids ..... I'm honestly curious about something, if they attend school, do you or your kids have the "option" (one way or another) to either pray/or not, or say the pledge of allegence/or not? .... was that completely banned?

This is a serious/legit question as I attended school quite a few yrs ago when it was being done/allowed, however, I've read there have been changes in more recent yrs.

"IF" true that it was banned, maybe they'll come after the national anthem at some point?

Listen, I used to smoke so I know what it's like when you have to go out of your way to light up. I'm not against it, nor people who do it...my argument is that it's not that big of a deal to go outside the stadium when they already had a section literally 10 feet from the exit.

My point about the Chargers trying to make a "family atmospere" came from the new "designated areas where there is no alcohol, smoking or foul language allowed". I don't know the details on where these seating areas are but I was just reiterating what I saw pertaining to the topic at hand.

No, my kids are toddlers so they are not in school and banning beer/alcohol in the stadium has nothing to do with smoking. If someone is drinking a beer next to my kid it's not affecting their health(I dont' care what you say there is no argument against that)

In my opinion, yeah, it would be nice if they made "smoking rooms" with ventilation like casino's have but is that really going to happen? Probably not, so there's the alternative. It's no different than California making a law that you can't smoke in a bar so I'm not really sure why so many are surprised. If you want to get into politics and the constitution that's a whole different argument and I'm not going to go there because we all know where that ends up...

I decided to quit smoking because my health is more important than lighting up now that I'm married with kids...just my personal choice. If you are a smoker you are no less of a person...just stating my opinion on the stadium issue.

SDFeather
08-25-2009, 02:57 PM
I guess its official
http://www.chargers.com/news/article-1/city-eliminates-designated-smoking-areas-at-stadium/90ea4da1-ddc4-4747-9fc7-036c7447cf97

I don't, however, agree with the no re-entry policy....that's crap. If they are allowing you to smoke in the parking lot before the game, but then let you leave the game to smoke and not let you back in....that's not cool.

fuat
08-25-2009, 03:08 PM
I agree, this is a crappy situation for smokers, I am not a smoker myself, but my buddy that I go to the games with is. But this, you can't smoke in here, you have to exit to do that. Oh your done smoking? too bad, you can't come back in, situation is seriously jacked up, and I think there will be a big negative impact to come.

SDFeather
08-25-2009, 03:15 PM

If somebody is being out of line you tell the rent-a-cops and they'll escort them out. Nobody said it was cool or ok to do those things either.

Whether it's drinking, smoking, profanity, fighting it doesn't matter...when you are there to watch a football game people should be respectful of others regardless of their vices or actions.

Da_Cha-gers
08-25-2009, 03:18 PM
If fans are to rowdy or aggressive near me I usually either ask them to calm down or just tell the ushers.

But they now that they have the family section I will try to get tickets there so I don't have to worry about the distractions. I have no problem with fans drinking etc, I just ask them to have a little respect for the families. And I will respect that they want to have a good time by trying to get seating in the family section.

Besides a drunk I can handle, I can't do anything about cigarette smoke.

I think it's great they have a "family section" and I hope you and your family enjoy some great Charger moments/games :)

While I support the removal of smoking within the seating areas, pushing someone outside the stadium gate is going just a little to far IMO.

I hope they can find a happy medium ..... something that works for those that choose to smoke and something that doesn't bother those that don't.

"I have no problem with fans drinking etc" ..... and ..... "a drunk I can handle"

Sounds like your very tolerant and have no problem with fans drinking ...... smokers not so much ...... I hope you never ever have to "handle" a drunk driver on gameday ...... or any other day for that matter ;)

LTismyfather
08-25-2009, 03:24 PM
don't care cause i dont smoke, and don't care if you are a smoker

No one is guaranteed the right to smoke wherever they go and any business can ask you not to smoke in their property, not a big deal. suck it up and smoke extra after the game.

Lightiningsmack
08-25-2009, 03:24 PM
Smoking inside a bar, airplane, office, home, and even a ventilated casino is different than smoking inside a stadium.

Guess why?

I'll tell you...Qualcomm is an open air outside venue

SeaTxHldr
08-25-2009, 03:28 PM
This is BS. Steeg says they have received "an overwhelming positive response from season ticket holders".......really!.......In what forum what this?

There has been much more of a problem with excess drinking than smoking in that stadium and this is a personal choice. I have been a smoker for several years and understand the few that are inconsiderate usually ruin things for the rest of us such as the beach ban on drinking and smoking. But thats just the issue in this case. Deal with the people out of line and leave the 90% of us that are respectful alone that choose to smoke.

And yes, this along with the ever increasing prices and the ever decreasing priveleadges (such as reducing the tailgate time from 5 to 4 hrs, corraling smokers into a severely undersized area etc.)

HechoEnSanDiego
08-25-2009, 03:31 PM
For the person who was upset about the smell on the clothes of a smoker, I have now decided that I will never wear deodorant to another game and I will make sure I step in every dog turd in my backyard before heading down to the game. I will make sure I don't smoke though, Where do you sit at the games? I'm looking for season tickets.

As a landlord in Escondido, I can vouch that cigarette smoke, no deodorant and the smell of dog turds is pretty accurate description of a good portion of my Escondido tenants.

HechoEnSanDiego
08-25-2009, 03:35 PM
Just ban people from bringing cigarettes into the stadium. Make them pay $10 each per pack inside the gate, just like beer sales.

We'll see how bad your addiction to nicotine really is.

SeaTxHldr
08-25-2009, 03:46 PM
You mean like how bad your beer addiction has been making bank for the stadium for years now............

Sure, I would pay more for smokes at the game to be fair. I just enjoy smoking and it should be left as an individuals choice.

I think it would have been fair to notify us of this ban before we bought our tickets this year. Along with everything else, I was teetering on getting them again.

bflag
08-25-2009, 03:49 PM
Just ban people from bringing cigarettes into the stadium. Make them pay $10 each per pack inside the gate, just like beer sales.

We'll see how bad your addiction to nicotine really is.

$10.00 are you kidding. There $5.50 a pack now up $3.25 from when I started smoking in like 1996 so it really doesn't matter how much you charge people will still smoke.

The drunks pay what like $7.00 for a beer when you can buy a 12 pack of Natural Ice for that price. Doesn't stop them.

Plus its easy to sneak a bottle of hard alcohol in so I'm sure trying to get some cigarettes wouldn't be all that difficult.

joehess
08-25-2009, 03:51 PM
I myself do no smoke and never have. I think the smell is horrible and leaves a permanent stench that makes my eyes water. HOWEVER, as it was stated before Qualcomm is an open air venue. As far as having smoking areas along the outer stadium wall ie: the gates during the game I have no issue with that. I do not like smoking but I like eroding personal freedoms a lot less. if I know where the smoking is i can avoid the area if you put it away from concessions and seats then I see no problem at all. I guess it's safer people smoke in fields with unmaintained brush then a concrete jungle.

HechoEnSanDiego
08-25-2009, 03:53 PM
$10.00 are you kidding. There $5.50 a pack now up $3.25 from when I started smoking in like 1996 so it really doesn't matter how much you charge people will still smoke.

The drunks pay what like $7.00 for a beer when you can buy a 12 pack of Natural Ice for that price. Doesn't stop them.

Plus its easy to sneak a bottle of hard alcohol in so I'm sure trying to get some cigarettes wouldn't be all that difficult.

$7.00 per beer was a few season ago.

The extra charge will help pay for cleaning up the butts and burn marks on the ground, walls, carpet, etc.

BrandonSD
08-25-2009, 03:54 PM
This whole thing is ridiculous. I get not having smoking everywhere in the stadium but I don't see the problem with the designated areas. Crying about having to walk 25 feet away from the area with your kids is pretty weak in my opinion. I don't like crying kids on an airplane, but I don't think they should be banned from them.

madmaxx
Smokers will still smoke in the stadium somehow. I can see this leading to the restrooms being the new halftime hangout for smokers. The smoking section downstairs was about 40 feet wide. For those who complained about getting second hand smoke when walking by...why choose to walk right by the smoking section when theres plenty of open space to walk smoke-free?

The city needs to do the right thing here and let smokers have a few puffs to relax at halftime. I say put an enclosure outside one of the gates so its not "inside" the stadium and doesn't bother anyone

Tycebrew
Just make sure you don't shoot yourself in the foot or you'll get 2 years in prison.

Well, San Diego is not in NY state.

SeaTxHldr
08-25-2009, 03:59 PM
What, do I hear someone saying how much $$ will be saved from not cleaning up butts................Ok, Steeg JR, I will spin that to how many jobs are lost from that lack of work in a struggling economy....

BleedBolts
08-25-2009, 03:59 PM
don't care cause i dont smoke, and don't care if you are a smoker

No one is guaranteed the right to smoke wherever they go and any business can ask you not to smoke in their property, not a big deal. suck it up and smoke extra after the game.

Well then what gives you the right to the air more so then someone else. If I want to smoke, which I don't, then I should be allowed to where I please(outside of course). Look people just want to be allowed to smoke during a football game. It really isn't that big of a deal. There are far worse things then to walk by someone that is smoking. IF you can't stand the smell, plug your nose!

bflag
08-25-2009, 04:01 PM
Well, San Diego is not in NY state.

Really dude, it was joke. But thanks for pointing that out I'm sure that made you feel better about yourself. So are you gonna be in 4th or 5th grade this year?

bflag
08-25-2009, 04:04 PM
$7.00 per beer was a few season ago.

The extra charge will help pay for cleaning up the butts and burn marks on the ground, walls, carpet, etc.

The extra charge is for all the extra police and security because all the drunk idiots who cant handle their booze.

BUT ITS OK TO DRINK YOUR DRUG RIGHT.....HYPOCRITES!

Lucid
08-25-2009, 04:04 PM
I am not a smoker, but I do know that smoke rises.

Knowing that means you know which direction smoke will travel.

Knowing where the smoke will go allows you to plan accordingly.

HechoEnSanDiego
08-25-2009, 04:08 PM
What, do I hear someone saying how much $$ will be saved from not cleaning up butts................Ok, Steeg JR, I will spin that to how many jobs are lost from that lack of work in a struggling economy....

Your ranting makes no sense.

You can spin it the other way to show how the Chargers are creating jobs (cigarette butt steward).

I can't haul my own booze into the stadium and drink it so why should smokers get to haul their cigarettes into the stadium? I am sure that a portion of the $9 beer charge goes towards cleaning up the thousands of plastic bottles at the end of the game. It should be similar for the smokers. Let the smokers smoke but ban them from bringing in their own cigarettes.

Sundiego
08-25-2009, 04:10 PM
I don't smoke. I know people who do. I don't like smoking personally.

However, everyone has a right to smoke. It is ridiculous that America and California continue to attack smokers. I get it, don't allow them to smoke in bars. Now they want to ban smoking everywhere to "protect people"

Tell you what they should ban all fattening foods, soda, candy for kids. What annoys me more than smokers are those kids that make all that noise run around and the horrible parents who do nothing to stop them. Seeing 10 year olds cry is horrible.

"Families" are trying to take everything in San Diego. Problem is in America the family structure is not the same as it used to be. Attacking people who don't fit in the norm isn't the American way, or even the way of the Western world.

Too bad America lost its way a while ago.

Timmet2332
08-25-2009, 04:12 PM

next

Breathing the pollutant ridden oxygen in our atmosphere is 100 percent healthy.

Lucid
08-25-2009, 04:14 PM
I look at this sorta like when Vegas tried to make itself more 'family friendly'.

Remember that, they dropped the 'sin city' vibe can started to come up with rides for the kids.... flop.

Then it came back hard with the 'what happens in vegas stays in vegas' and experienced the largest growth ever of any major US city

Face it, people like to sin

bflag
08-25-2009, 04:15 PM

You can spin it the other way to show how the Chargers are creating jobs (cigarette butt steward).

I can't haul my own booze into the stadium and drink it so why should smokers get to haul their cigarettes into the stadium? I am sure that a portion of the $9 beer charge goes towards cleaning up the thousands of plastic bottles at the end of the game. It should be similar for the smokers. Let the smokers smoke but ban them from bringing in their own cigarettes.

I can't haul my T.V. in the stadium so why do people get to bring cell phones make them use pay phones....Your argument is going nowhere.

Timmet2332
08-25-2009, 04:17 PM
Attacking people who don't fit in the norm isn't the American way, or even the way of the Western world

Sorry, but America has been marginalizing people who don't fit into the status quo since day one. It's called socialization and it is indeed the American way.

Bubba86
08-25-2009, 04:17 PM
i think its funny that theyre saying they just got rid of the smoking sections because i have been told by elites last season that those were gone.

i think its dumb to get rid of them, i understand that many people dont like being around smoke and i can understand not being able to smoke at the seats or underneath coverings but to get rid of the smoking sections altogether is a bit ridiculous to me. have it near the gates and point a big fan blowing the smoke outside of the stadium so that people dont walk by it and through a cloud of smoke.

its not surprising though. you can't smoke anywhere in this state.

HechoEnSanDiego
08-25-2009, 04:20 PM
I can't haul my T.V. in the stadium so why do people get to bring cell phones make them use pay phones....Your argument is going nowhere.

That is a really dumb analogy. Thanks for your input.

bflag
08-25-2009, 04:22 PM
That is a really dumb analogy. Thanks for your input.

Exactly my point....that's how I feel reading your post.

Sundiego
08-25-2009, 04:24 PM
Sorry, but America has been marginalizing people who don't fit into the status quo since day one. It's called socialization and it is indeed the American way.

Taking away freedom from minority groups due to xenophobia and other racist tendencies yes. Taking away rights, and lack of interest of people in this, is a relatively modern phenomena. The Nanny State so to speak.

23skidoo
08-25-2009, 04:37 PM
As a landlord in Escondido, I can vouch that cigarette smoke, no deodorant and the smell of dog turds is pretty accurate description of a good portion of my Escondido tenants.

Is this a shot at me because I live in Escondido? Or because I smell like BO and Dog Poo? Landlord? Interesting I manage some real estate. Where do you sit? I will get a bunch of my Escondido tenants and come sit by you so you can tell them what you think of them.:layup

If the Chargers could make money on people smoking in the stadium, then people would be allowed to smoke in the stadium. On this I agree with you. It honestly doesn't bother me too much, I'll just bring some chew if I want a little Nic. I'm allowed to spit that stuff anywhere, right?

Timmet2332
08-25-2009, 04:40 PM
23skidoo I'm loving your profile name. Are you a fan of Robert Anton Wilson?

Timmet2332
08-25-2009, 04:42 PM
Taking away freedom from minority groups due to xenophobia and other racist tendencies yes. Taking away rights, and lack of interest of people in this, is a relatively modern phenomena. The Nanny State so to speak.

OK, now I understand what you were getting at.

thumper300zx
08-25-2009, 04:43 PM

After all obesity kills more people than smoking.

Yeah, but the guy sitting next to the hot dog eater doesn't participate in the eating of the hot dog.

Bubba86
08-25-2009, 04:45 PM
Yeah, but the guy sitting next to the hot dog eater doesn't participate in the eating of the hot dog.

maybe if the guy eating a hot dog is a messy eater and slops some of it on the other guy then sure he does

or if watching the guy eating a hot dog makes you really hungry

HechoEnSanDiego
08-25-2009, 04:47 PM
Exactly my point....that's how I feel reading your post.

You feel dumb reading my posts? Are they over your head?

FYI - you can bring in a TV as long as it can't be used as a weapon.

thehotdelancey
08-25-2009, 04:51 PM
maybe if the guy eating a hot dog is a messy eater and slops some of it on the other guy then sure he does

or if watching the guy eating a hot dog makes you really hungry

It makes me something else. . . . .

BoltNut2008
08-25-2009, 04:51 PM
Politicians and other liberal minded individuals continually try to do something they once insisted that no one should do.... legislate morality. It's okay for the elitist, knee jerk, global warming crowd to tax the piss out of cigarettes and other tobacco products on one hand and then ban the practice of using these products with the other. Why is that? People like Al Gore spout off about this sort of thing and at the same time he own tons of tobacco stocks and other interests. It's the same thing with him and his "carbon credits"... talk about hypocrites. This guy is the poster child for hypocrisy.

More and more it is apparent that the American people can no longer think for themselves. If they could, they'd see through all this garbage and actually reason things out for themselves. When Rob Reiner pushed through the first tax on tobacco products with the lie that the money would go to educating people on the dangers of cigarette smoking and also for the future medical costs of treating smoking related illnesses, it should have been easy to figure out. How many more times have taxes on tobacco been increased with no real explanation of where the money goes? Does anyone actually believe that any of this money will go to pay for treating any smoker for lung or heart disease? People who commit fraud usually end up in prison. These days we elect them into congress or other political office.

Lucid
08-25-2009, 04:54 PM

Na, we just pay for his increased health care costs

SeaTxHldr
08-25-2009, 04:55 PM

As I said in my previous post, I would pay for them in the stadium, but that is not the issue here is it. It is a ban with no warning well after tickets were purchased.

Hencho, if you cant understand our posts dont reply to them.

thehotdelancey
08-25-2009, 04:58 PM
Politicians and other liberal minded individuals continually try to do something they once insisted that no one should do.... legislate morality. It's okay for the elitist, knee jerk, global warming crowd to tax the piss out of cigarettes and other tobacco products on one hand and then ban the practice of using these products with the other. Why is that? People like Al Gore spout off about this sort of thing and at the same time he own tons of tobacco stocks and other interests. It's the same thing with him and his "carbon credits"... talk about hypocrites. This guy is the poster child for hypocrisy.

More and more it is apparent that the American people can no longer think for themselves. If they could, they'd see through all this garbage and actually reason things out for themselves. When Rob Reiner pushed through the first tax on tobacco products with the lie that the money would go to educating people on the dangers of cigarette smoking and also for the future medical costs of treating smoking related illnesses, it should have been easy to figure out. How many more times have taxes on tobacco been increased with no real explanation of where the money goes? Does anyone actually believe that any of this money will go to pay for treating any smoker for lung or heart disease? People who commit fraud usually end up in prison. These days we elect them into congress or other political office.

You can believe what you want, but its resulted in a cleaner, smoke free environment to take kids and go out without having smoke blown in your face.

Sure, I guarantee that many politicians have many corrupt friends to whom their careers are linked. But I dont see how the bans correlate with making those politicians money through the taxes.

Dahvied
08-25-2009, 05:00 PM
had no idea there was a smoking section..

23skidoo
08-25-2009, 05:01 PM
23skidoo I'm loving your profile name. Are you a fan of Robert Anton Wilson?

Nope, but after the google I guess the guy had a thing with the number 23? Sounds like an interesting guy, but not my cup o' tea.

It is crazy to me that this would cause such a reaction in the forum. Now we are getting political rants?

I like to smoke with the best of them, but don't see what all the fuss is about.

HOLY SMOKES:LightsOut:

thumper300zx
08-25-2009, 05:01 PM
Na, we just pay for his increased health care costs

I would likely agree with any argument you have about obesity and health care, etc. I think we overlook it when we shouldn't, mostly because right now, it's not really acceptable to talk about "fat". I think that's changing a little bit. Just as we became more educated about the effects of cigarettes, we are finally starting to accept the effects of being obese (we'll see if it changes anything).

But, I don't think, just because we are overlooking obesity, that it should change how tabacco is being addressed. While obesity has caused insurance for even the healthy to rise ridiculously, you don't get obese by rubbing up against an obese person. Smoke, though I can choose to avoid it for the most part (avoid hanging out where smoking is prevalent, don't allow it in my house or cars, etc), I still can't do anything about taking some in if the guy sitting next to me is doing it.

Last time I went to a game was the TEN/SD playoff game (I don't live in SD, so I don't go much). I thought how they had it setup was fine. There were some designated areas outside the seating. I don't think they have to make it more strict than that.

bflag
08-25-2009, 05:02 PM
As I said in my previous post, I would pay for them in the stadium, but that is not the issue here is it. It is a ban with no warning well after tickets were purchased.

Hencho, if you cant understand our posts dont reply to them.

His post are ridiculous....glad I'm not the only one that see's that.

Lucid
08-25-2009, 05:09 PM
I would likely agree with any argument you have about obesity and health care, etc. I think we overlook it when we shouldn't, mostly because right now, it's not really acceptable to talk about "fat". I think that's changing a little bit. Just as we became more educated about the effects of cigarettes, we are finally starting to accept the effects of being obese (we'll see if it changes anything).

But, I don't think, just because we are overlooking it, that it should change how cigs have been addressed. And while obesity has caused insurance for even the healthy to rise ridiculously, you don't get obese by rubbing up against an obese person. Smoke, though I can do things to avoid it, I can't really do anything about if I'm near it.

3 things

1. I am a former smoker who now hates smoke so it not like I am trying to make the world my ashtray, however limiting rights is pretty silly.

2. Smoke can be contained (see ATL.s airport as an example). There are plenty of things man and nature can do to curb the smoke from festering. These include the cheap things (such as designating an area where the prevailing winds are constant such as an open space with East and West openings to use the natural flow of air). Or adding fans to help the air circulate.

3. Not everyone who smokes dies of cancer, but everyone with unhealthy diets become obese and currently obesity kills more people than cancer (trust me our friends on pill hill {Torrey Pines Mesa} have been doing research on this for since 2004)

I agree that the actual seats should be non-smoking, but give the smokers their own place to have a puff and watch a screen without having to leave the stadium

23skidoo
08-25-2009, 05:10 PM

You can add me to that list. With the exception of the selling cigs. in the stadium part, that makes sense to me. It has become a "money thing". The city wants those fines for smoking paid so they are making the rules be enforced.$$$$. I bet they are writing more speeding tickets lately too.$$$

bflag
08-25-2009, 05:15 PM
^$$$$ is exactly what this is about....nice post.

BoltNut2008
08-25-2009, 05:16 PM
You can believe what you want, but its resulted in a cleaner, smoke free environment to take kids and go out without having smoke blown in your face.

Sure, I guarantee that many politicians have many corrupt friends to whom their careers are linked. But I dont see how the bans correlate with making those politicians money through the taxes.

Please excuse my political rantings here on the Chargers' message board. This isn't really the forum for this sort of thing, but this topic and others like it just seem to push all my hot buttons.

I'm all for a cleaner environment whether it is in our sports stadiums or in the world in general. Our kids are exposed to filth every day. Trash on the street, in the stadium, at school, on TV, whatever. This is nothing new, and I doubt that just because the city of San Diego bans smoking that somehow now we are in a better place for it. That's just silly.

From what I understand, there have been smoking areas designated up until the enactment of this smoking ban policy. If smoke is "being blown in your face", you must have been going by one of these smoking sections. I'm all for the prohibition of smoking in the general seating areas, but there is no reason to ban designated smoking areas. This serves no purpose other than to alienate.

mrcwalk619
08-25-2009, 05:16 PM
i don't get his whole thing at all....

i mean how are smoking and drinking any different from each other???

Katdnzr
08-25-2009, 05:19 PM
The difference between drinking and smoking is when you drink, you can kill me with your car and you will be held accountable. When you smoke, you kill me and you can go on your merry way!

23skidoo
08-25-2009, 05:21 PM
The difference between drinking and smoking is when you drink, you can kill me with your car and you will be held accountable. When you smoke, you kill me and you can go on your merry way!

Really?? I just had a smoke, are you dead?

BoltNut2008
08-25-2009, 05:26 PM
i don't get his whole thing at all....

i mean how are smoking and drinking any different from each other???

They really aren't. They're both unhealthy habits and should most likely be avoided. The issue is "second hand smoke" and it's affects on those who do not smoke. I agree with you in that I feel there are just as many negative affects and possible health issues from "second hand booze consumption". These negative affects go far beyond the confines of the Q. These drunken slobs are going to drive home on the freeways around San Diego after the game. I would imagine this may endanger everyone including smokers.

bflag
08-25-2009, 05:26 PM

You can't smoke in parks, beaches, restaurants, bars, etc...so where are you when smokers are "killing" you? Stay out of designated smoking areas and you should be fine.

StevenSD
08-25-2009, 05:29 PM
3 things

1. I am a former smoker who now hates smoke so it not like I am trying to make the world my ashtray, however limiting rights is pretty silly.

2. Smoke can be contained (see ATL.s airport as an example). There are plenty of things man and nature can do to curb the smoke from festering. These include the cheap things (such as designating an area where the prevailing winds are constant such as an open space with East and West openings to use the natural flow of air). Or adding fans to help the air circulate.

3. Not everyone who smokes dies of cancer, but everyone with unhealthy diets become obese and currently obesity kills more people than cancer (trust me our friends on pill hill {Torrey Pines Mesa} have been doing research on this for since 2004)

I agree that the actual seats should be non-smoking, but give the smokers their own place to have a puff and watch a screen without having to leave the stadium

I agree 100% with everything you're saying.

My friend and I actually left at halftime during the first preseason game because of this ban. It's ****ing rediculous. To anyone trying to valide this is just making the stadium a more family safe enviorment, **** THAT, what the hell are you doing letting your kids around the smoking section to BEGIN with? It's bad enough accepting the fact that we have to feel like cattle while entering and leaving the smoking section, but to ban it completely? **** that! Beer should've been the first thing banned from the staduim completely, but then again the city benefits more from the DUIs that come from people attending games, they also benefit from all the brawls that fall out from the drunks.

BleedBolts
08-25-2009, 05:30 PM

That seems very odd. . . There is no way that walking by someone that is smoking, if you chose to, will cause any damage. Second hand smoke only kills people that choose to live with someone that smokes indoors. This is in an open air venue we are talking about. So that has no relevance. Look I don't smoke either, but there is no way by me walking next to someone that is smoking that they will have caused my death. Why can't we all be grown up about this situation and realize that people smoking in their own secluded area will not effect your everyday life.

BoltNut2008
08-25-2009, 05:31 PM

Please think about what you are saying before you post it. You'll only make yourself look foolish. I understand what you are trying to say, but you've lost all credibility with statements like this.

Jay21
I bet they are writing more speeding tickets lately too.$$$

I wouldn't be surprised, especially after the way I was treated by a CHP officer a couple weeks ago. He was doing pretty much everything in his power including trying to knock me out of my lane to get me to speed or do something he can write a ticket for. He finally gave up and went after a van that was going maybe 67-68 tops, but he was barking his head off at me as he drove by. It really made me think these guys have quotas, and that ******* wasn't meeting his that particular day

StevenSD

then stay the **** away from the smoke! holy **** are you serious with that ****ing comment?

the ignorance of this country.

you're litterly saying that you're okay with drunk drivers, more so than people that smoke cigarettes

Lucid
08-25-2009, 05:32 PM
I agree 100% with everything you're saying.

My friend and I actually left at halftime during the first preseason game because of this ban. It's ****ing rediculous. To anyone trying to valide this is just making the stadium a more family safe enviorment, **** THAT, what the hell are you doing letting your kids around the smoking section to BEGIN with? It's bad enough accepting the fact that we have to feel like cattle while entering and leaving the smoking section, but to ban it completely? **** that! Beer should've been the first thing banned from the staduim completely, but then again the city benefits more from the DUIs that come from people attending games, they also benefit from all the brawls that fall out from the drunks.

Thanks man, I dabble in architecture... so if you can find the money for a new stadium give me a shout and I will design it

StevenSD
08-25-2009, 05:33 PM
Why can't we all be grown up

you're asking too much for society now-a-days

SeaTxHldr
08-25-2009, 05:35 PM

Well, I guess I made the mistake of assuming he researched the issue of Steeg and his comments regarding the butt cleanup. My misake, I gave him the benefit of the doubt.

My point was just that statistics can be skewed depending on the presenter. In this case, Steeg was referring to how much money could be saved by not cleaning up the butts, but not looking at the fact of how all these restrictions and increased prices are driving people away from attending the game.

thumper300zx
08-25-2009, 05:51 PM
3 things

It took a while for obesity to catch up, but it has. And I agree with the above. I just find that smoke bothers me directly/physically (not just in thought). My Dad's eyes get red immediately when there is smoke around -- when he used to travel recruiting, the hotels were a nightmare for him.

mdsd77
08-25-2009, 05:56 PM
Time for Blucigs.com !!
the cigarette you can smoke anywhere anytime.

check them out, its a water vapor, you can use them on a plane in a cab, or in your seat at the stadium!

dont ya love the USA!

I have seen and tried these, not bad really, you get the hit you are looking for too and they are cheap!
blucigs.com

hankster
08-25-2009, 06:00 PM
my dad has been a season ticket for many decades. A smoker even longer, he will not be pleased!

If you can go out to the parking lot to smoke then I guess its fine....whats another 20 feet of walking. But currently they have the no re-entry policy. So this is kinda cloudy.

My dad also was a season ticket holder for many years. Now he's dead as a result of smoking. I miss calling him and talking about the Chargers. Damn the tobacco companies and good for the new policies. The tobacco companies fund phony research and convince some idiots that second hand smoke is not hazardous. If you read the research by the real scientists working for American Lung Association, American Cancer Society, American Heart Association and anyone with an ounce of integrity you'll know that second hand smoke is a Class A carcinogen. It is actually quite dangerous. If smokers can't wait, they can always chew nicorette gum in the stadium.

StevenSD
08-25-2009, 06:03 PM
My dad also was a season ticket holder for many years. Now he's dead as a result of smoking. I miss calling him and talking about the Chargers. Damn the tobacco companies and good for the new policies. The tobacco companies fund phony research and convince some idiots that second hand smoke is not hazardous. If you read the research by the real scientists working for American Lung Association, American Cancer Society, American Heart Association and anyone with an ounce of integrity you'll know that second hand smoke is a Class A carcinogen. It is actually quite dangerous. If smokers can't wait, they can always chew nicorette gum in the stadium.

damn the tobacco company for letting their customers make their own decisions!

geez, i'm sorry about your father, but honestly it's what he chose to do, you're choosing something different so good for you.

in america, we're allowed to do things for ourselves, if we want to ignore the hazards of smoking, than it's on us as the smoker, not the ****ing companies

Arkansas Ron
08-25-2009, 06:07 PM
For the record, I don't smoke. However We the People don't seem to look at the big picture. The more we are told what we can and can't do, the more freedom we lose. After all freedom is Choice. I choose to wear my motorcycle helmet in a state that doesn't require it. I should have that right.
Does anyone remember the movie DEMOLITION MAN? They had the "perfect society". We are really headed in that direction I'm afraid. Wake UP people and see the big picture.

Tristan
08-25-2009, 07:28 PM
Don't like it? Here's an option: Don't smoke. "Oh no! I have to go outside to smoke and they won't let me back in! Woe is me! My panties are all in a bunch!" No, you don't have to go outside to smoke, you can just not smoke. Simple!

StevenSD
08-25-2009, 07:29 PM
Don't like it? Here's an option: Don't smoke. "Oh no! I have to go outside to smoke and they won't let me back in! Woe is me! My panties are all in a bunch!" No, you don't have to go outside to smoke, you can just not smoke. Simple!

Don't like smoke?

STAY AWAY FROM IT

Anything else you want to try to morally incline here? I have every right to want to smoke, hazzard warnings and all I choose to, but I do have the deceny to be hurded into a small corner with hundreds of others just so I can stay out of your way in the stadium.

vodka&boltzs
08-25-2009, 07:36 PM
As long as people are not smoking crack then it should be ok to smoke cigs, I guess next thing to go will be the beer

SeaTxHldr
08-25-2009, 07:39 PM

You weenie Tristan..... You dont get it do you. The bigger picture isnt just smoking here. Its like living under socialist rule where they decide what you can and cannot do. (And by the way, this isnt about illegal substances).

The issue here is that they are taking away priveleadges and restricting your ability to something that is an individuals choice. If you have been going to games long enough, you would see a distinctive pattern of "pay more...get less" and this issue doesnt even have anything to do with revenue.

I guess you wont understand until you loose something YOU care about.

Tristan
08-25-2009, 07:51 PM
BS - what makes one substance illegal while another isn't? Taxability. Who ever said it is your right to smoke? How is it anymore your right to smoke than to use profanity? Speech is specifically accounted for in the first amendment. Smoking isn't a right any more than driving is a right. It is a privilege. If you want to smoke, drive, drink, etc., play by the rules.

StevenSD
08-25-2009, 07:58 PM
BS - what makes one substance illegal while another isn't? Taxability. Who ever said it is your right to smoke?

Whoever said it is your right to NOT smoke?! Who the **** are you anyways to try to preach this morality crap?

How is it anymore your right to smoke than to use profanity? Speech is specifically accounted for in the first amendment.

Freedom of choice isn't in the amendment?! HOLY CRAP

Smoking isn't a right any more than driving is a right. It is a privilege. If you want to smoke, drive, drink, etc., play by the rules.

You're right, next time I pay $6 for a pack, I'll remind myself that I'm purchasing a privilege more so than I'm choosing my freedom to make my own choices. And I do play by the rules, again, no one had a problem crowding themselves in that small ass corner in the Q with over hundreds of other people just so they can execute their right to freedom of choice, and to NOT incoveinant anyone like you.

teeper
08-25-2009, 07:59 PM
what keeps annoying me is that while it's still legal to sell and market cigarettes, it's barely legal to smoke them anymore in some states. i can understand that people don't appreciate breathing smoke, but banning smoking completely is just bs. you either ban them completely at a state level or respect the state laws and compromise.

StevenSD
08-25-2009, 08:06 PM
what keeps annoying me is that while it's still legal to sell and market cigarettes, it's barely legal to smoke them anymore in some states. i can understand that people don't appreciate breathing smoke, but banning smoking completely is just bs. you either ban them completely at a state level respect the state laws and compromise.

welcome to socialism

teeper
08-25-2009, 08:08 PM
welcome to socialismi'm pretty sure this has extremely little to do with socialism. in fact, it reminds me very much of capitalism.

LTismyfather
08-25-2009, 08:11 PM
Well then what gives you the right to the air more so then someone else. If I want to smoke, which I don't, then I should be allowed to where I please(outside of course). Look people just want to be allowed to smoke during a football game. It really isn't that big of a deal. There are far worse things then to walk by someone that is smoking. IF you can't stand the smell, plug your nose!

you should be allowed to smoke where you please AND the owner of that property allows you. No where did i say i had more right to the air, i just said that no where is it guaranteed that a smoker has the freedom to smoke wherever he/she has a lighter. Any property owner can tell you not to smoke on or near their establishment, and if you don't like that, then you can choose to not attend events at that property. Regardless of your view of smoking, the tenants of any property have the right to enforce a smoke-free environment. You may be disappointed in that decision, but no where is it guaranteed that you have a say in their decision. And trust me, this has very little to do with real morality or for god's sake socialism.

Sundiego
08-25-2009, 08:28 PM
i'm pretty sure this has extremely little to do with socialism. in fact, it reminds me very much of capitalism.

How does it have anything to do with Capitalism? Banning cigarettes has nothing to do with free market or any capitalistic ideas.

Great the Q wants to ban cigarette smoking, that is their right. Just one of the many reasons why people won't go to games or buy tickets.

High ticket prices, old decaying stadium, massive police presence, ridiculous rules, restrictions on freedom all of these are reasons. They just want to keep getting more.

People are using this opportunity to go after stupid rules imposing by certain cities and counties that didn't have voter approval.

I wonder where they are going to get tax money from when no one smokes anymore and alcohol becomes semi underground to avoid taxes.

Oh wait they have already started. Increased taxes on soda and other non health foods. San Francisco has a tax on restaurant food which is separate from high sales tax.

JohnnyB1SD
08-25-2009, 08:34 PM
Life isn't fair. Alcohol is a huge cash cow. I don't see cigarette sales being very high at the Q. I'm sure the Chargers get much more complaints about belligerent drunks than the smoke. But cash is king.You're right there are 20 cigs in a pack, even if they ban cigs coming in and you could only smoke stadium smokes the profit isn't high enough

JohnnyB1SD
08-25-2009, 08:35 PM
Oh, please.... I could see it in a closed in room with 15 chain smokers sitting around a non smoker for years possibly causing that, but in an open stadium, and in a designated area... come on. This whole political correctness stuff is getting so old.

Walking down the street in downtown San Diego or any other metropolitan area is most likely more dangerous than second hand smoke. If the PC crowd has their way, we'll all be using the 'ol horse and buggy. LOL

Folks that want to have a smoke are treated like some kind of pariah any more. The government keeps taxing tobacco products more and more telling us it's for 'educating' people about the dangers of smoking.... what a load of BS.amen :LightsOut:

JohnnyB1SD
08-25-2009, 08:46 PM
Actually it doesn't, if you're that concerned all you have to do is find out where those areas are and avoid them. Just like the smoker has to find out where the somking areas are. It's both your freedom to do that.

thumper300zx
08-25-2009, 08:48 PM
you should be allowed to smoke where you please AND the owner of that property allows you. No where did i say i had more right to the air, i just said that no where is it guaranteed that a smoker has the freedom to smoke wherever he/she has a lighter. Any property owner can tell you not to smoke on or near their establishment, and if you don't like that, then you can choose to not attend events at that property. Regardless of your view of smoking, the tenants of any property have the right to enforce a smoke-free environment. You may be disappointed in that decision, but no where is it guaranteed that you have a say in their decision. And trust me, this has very little to do with real morality or for god's sake socialism.

Yep -- that's the skinny.

Bolt4Life
08-25-2009, 08:48 PM
IMissMarty - "If we had Marty we would have never had a ban on smoking"

Sundiego
08-25-2009, 08:57 PM
IMissMarty - "If we had Marty we would have never had a ban on smoking"

Awesome. That is something he would say.

mdsd77
08-25-2009, 09:12 PM
so if you got a weed license?

what then? it says you can smoke anywhere anytime, if medically necessary and what not.

DefenseWins
08-25-2009, 09:17 PM
This isn't about football... and has digressed into a social discussion. Hence it's now moved. A reminder to future posts in this thread - political discussions aren't permitted on the forums... keep the discussion off of politics. :)

Da_Cha-gers
08-25-2009, 10:24 PM
Since this is now in the feedback section ...... here goes :)

I think a fair and reasonable solution should have been explored and possibly implemented ..... in the case a satisfactory solution couldn't be reached, those affected who feel the change may negatively affect their Charger football experience should be given an option of keeping their tickets or receiving a refund.

StevenSD
08-26-2009, 12:25 AM
so if you got a weed license?

what then? it says you can smoke anywhere anytime, if medically necessary and what not.

you'd still get crap from the cops, been there done that

Tycebrew
08-26-2009, 02:24 PM
Really dude, it was joke. But thanks for pointing that out I'm sure that made you feel better about yourself. So are you gonna be in 4th or 5th grade this year?

You left your sarcasm filter off then. State laws rule when it comes to gun laws. Some states are more strict than others.

And Im well beyond my masters degree in college thanks. But thanks for showing your immaturity.

Tycebrew
08-26-2009, 03:15 PM
Funny how some people interpret laws as suppressing there legal rights. BS.

If you don't like the rules, then dont play or go somewhere else.

If the smoking ban bothers you that much, then don't come. Apparently, your "rights" are much more important to you than seeing a game.

The NFL has rules... no throat slashing, spearheading and things of that nature... etc. It should be a "right" for them to do whatever they want right? Wrong. The players can do it knowing they will get a fine and possible suspension.

Therefore, if the Q makes a rule saying no smoking, well don't go or don't smoke, or pay the consequences if you do.

StevenSD
08-26-2009, 03:54 PM
Therefore, if the Q makes a rule saying no smoking, well don't go or don't smoke, or pay the consequences if you do.

Funny how you choose to ignore the loss of revenue the Q will receive when smokers decide to stay home

freakshow
08-26-2009, 04:04 PM
Is it possible to leave the stadium and come back in?

If no grab your last puff before you go in, slap a patch or two on and 3.5 hours later feel free to suck on another f a g. If the Q really loses $$ do to this, it would be a laughable amount any way.

Stay Healthy San Diego!

Lucid
08-26-2009, 04:07 PM
I think we should outlaw fatty food

Tycebrew
08-26-2009, 04:28 PM
Funny how you choose to ignore the loss of revenue the Q will receive when smokers decide to stay home

BS. People will show up anyways.

BleedBolts
08-26-2009, 05:18 PM

I understand all your points and don't disagree in any way, but, when something that was allowed by the same owner and now is banned it makes it a little different. It is like when you were young and really wanted to do something and so you ask your mom and naturally she says no, so you go to your dad and he says yes, now your torn. That may not have been the best example but if all of a sudden you weren't allowed to drink inside the side the stadium, wouldn't you be voicing your opinion? Im not saying that we should have a right to smoke wherever whenever but when it was just allowed and now all of a sudden it isn't, just makes me angry, and I don't smoke! I just don't want all of our rights to go by the waste side because there will always be a few people that agree with what the rule change is going to be, and that doesn't make it right!

Tycebrew
08-26-2009, 06:50 PM
Really, if people can't go 3 hours without a puff, that's quite a problem.

How do you get on a plane coast to coast for 5 hours without a puff? You just wait, right?

Da_Cha-gers
08-26-2009, 08:53 PM
Funny how some people interpret laws as suppressing there legal rights. BS.

If you don't like the rules, then dont play or go somewhere else.

If the smoking ban bothers you that much, then don't come. Apparently, your "rights" are much more important to you than seeing a game.

The NFL has rules... no throat slashing, spearheading and things of that nature... etc. It should be a "right" for them to do whatever they want right? Wrong. The players can do it knowing they will get a fine and possible suspension.

I don't know if it's funny or not how laws, rules, policy's and the like can sometimes "change" (better or worse) sometimes on the whim of sentiment ..... I think it may depend on whether or how it might affect you or not.

To the smokers who are now considered public enemy #1 by many, I'm sure they don't appreciate the skyrocketing prices due in large part to higher taxes, which are partially designed to get them to quit (who's making the decision? the individual citizen or the gov't?) including funding anti-smoking education which they then have to see on their TV's etc. and then basically banished to ever decreasing smoking areas or the closet.

I don't know why, but in some ways it kinda reminds me of some events from our country's past (some not so nice events), such as burning supposed witches at the stake, because people of that day really believed they were witches .....

There seems to be a movement to either tax, curb, or eliminate things that are considered non healthy choices ...... but who's choice is THAT? ..... the individuals or ??? ...... I understand there are a variety of things being looked at and soda, junk food, alcohol etc are among them. There's an organization Michael Vick is very familiar with named PETA, their generally an animal rights group but many/most of their folks are vegatarian and they just abandoned a billboard campaign because it may have gone a little too far, it read: "Save the Whales. Lose the Blubber: Go Vegetarian." ..... it was aimed at overweight people.

Here's an article on junk food taxes - if interested:
http://www.fox40.com/news/headlines/ktxl-news-taxingjunkfood0824,0,5131751.story?track=rss

On to football! ..... I ran across a couple articles pertaining to alcohol and the NFL ...... I guess back in may Roger Goodell changed the policy for teams: "NFL clubs may no longer serve alcohol at team functions or on buses or flights, extending a ban that until now applied only in locker rooms".

and for fans: The NFL will try to crack down on binge drinking by fans at games during the 2009 season. Following up on the Fan Code of Conduct it implemented last season, the league office is making recommendations to teams about maximum serving sizes for beer, wine and spirits sold at games and about the number of alcoholic drinks a customer can purchase at one time.

This is the fan article:
http://www.usatoday.com/sports/football/nfl/2009-08-20-nfl-beer-sales_N.htm

The world is changing ..... I'm kinda partial to the way it was - when you could actually make your own choices, rather than have someone make them for you.

PacMan
08-26-2009, 09:36 PM
I work for elite and they told us that it will be a BIG problem and WE have to inforse it

Tycebrew
08-26-2009, 10:07 PM
I work for elite and they told us that it will be a BIG problem and WE have to inforse it

I really don't think it will be a big problem. Smokers are just complainers.

I remember vividly talking to smokers when they 1st found out they would no longer be allowed to smoke in bars/restaurants, when the ban took place in CA many years ago. The 1st 10 smokers I talked to said they would no longer go to bars and would prefer to stay at home and drink and smoked as they wished.

I laughed at them with ridicule.... Ya, sure you will pal, you will still go to the bars, go outside when you feel the need to puff, and then go back inside the bar and continue their drinking/socializing.

Look what happened. Everything I said was true. Smokers didn't stop going to bars. And after a few months, it wasn't even a big deal anymore. In fact, I think they enjoyed the fresh air outside as they smoked.

This will be no different. People will complain at first and then just get used to it.

mdsd77
08-27-2009, 08:17 AM
http://www.smokefreesandiego.org/downloads/BeachesParks_Policy_CityofSDStfReport.pdf

Curious, where does it refer to Qualcomm Stadium? (no where?)

and there is a Alcohol Ban in "Public Spaces" but no request for "No" Alcohol sales or consumption at Qualcomm.

Hope the city has their permits in order for the ABC, and the catering permits, cuz this could blow up in their faces.

one more thought.. the Chargers are abiding by this request, well the City does not "Pay" for anything, I am sure the smokers Pay for their tickets and money used in a transaction for goods or services in the past included a smoking area, well now they changed the rules (contract) without notice?
something is not right here? an option should be given to the people who want their money refunded, Personally I do not smoke, but pulling this stuff on the sly is another reason no one trusts their City government or the Chargers organization.

vheman
08-27-2009, 10:22 AM
That smoking ordinance from 2006 may not have anything to do with a brand new ruling on smoking at the Q. While in favor of the new ban, I agree that the city leaders probably stumbled onto the suspicious timing of the announcement...I can't give them credit for being smart enough to be devious.

bflag
08-27-2009, 01:11 PM
I really don't think it will be a big problem. Smokers are just complainers.

I remember vividly talking to smokers when they 1st found out they would no longer be allowed to smoke in bars/restaurants, when the ban took place in CA many years ago. The 1st 10 smokers I talked to said they would no longer go to bars and would prefer to stay at home and drink and smoked as they wished.

I laughed at them with ridicule.... Ya, sure you will pal, you will still go to the bars, go outside when you feel the need to puff, and then go back inside the bar and continue their drinking/socializing.

Look what happened. Everything I said was true. Smokers didn't stop going to bars. And after a few months, it wasn't even a big deal anymore. In fact, I think they enjoyed the fresh air outside as they smoked.

This will be no different. People will complain at first and then just get used to it.

First off, I don't think anybody believed that smokers wouldn't go to bars again after the ban. I think anybody with a brain could have called that one, but it's funny how you give yourself credit for seeing that (quote "Everything I said was true"). All this from talking to 10 smokers out of 4 million people who smoke in this state.

You say smokers are complainers, well no s**t, who isn't. I hope your not saying that smokers are the only one's that complain cause that's BS and you know it. EVERYBODY COMPLAINS so what does that have to do with anything?

If they took away alcohol the drunks would complain, if they took away Big Mac's the fat people would complain but you get over it and you go on with life, not exactly a new concept but thanks for clearing that up.

Maruchan
08-28-2009, 11:09 AM
Same Here, :LightsOut:

Nater
08-29-2009, 02:18 PM
Yeah, it's a nasty habit.. mostly because we know it's destructive to one's body.
Because of that, people have taken up this lobby of shutting down the producers of the product by destroying it's base - the consumer.

So, to smoke and enjoy the game, you're limited to a narrow window of time to where you can exit the stadium, get your smoke on and back in time for the action.

This basically forces you to get all of ONE cigarette, should you choose to attend a live game.

If I had a compulsive habit that I'd have to curb for a ~3 hour stretch, I'd probably choose an alternative venue. Thus, no ticket purchase.

I think this all creates a subsequent negative attitude regarding the stadium, the team, the policies involved and poses a dilemma for the team to continue selling tickets in this regard.

hankster
11-20-2009, 02:48 PM
For those of you who want to smoke at the Q, you can go to the top of the circular walkway C and smoke freely there. We went to meet some friends at half time of the last game and there were well over 100 people smoking in this area. The security just ignores the situation. Personally, I thought there should be a smoking area of some sort in the stadium. Well now, unofficially, there is a smoking area. Happy smoking to all the nicotine addicts!

Bolt4Life
11-20-2009, 02:51 PM
Good I'm glad the police are using the 'spirit of the law on this one'. I don't smoke personally, but I don't care if someone wants a smoke during the game or at half time. Testicular cancer and drinking kill more people per year than smoking does.

OC BOLTED
11-20-2009, 03:00 PM
It reminds me of how birds all group together and poop in the same spot....ok, just kidding. Haha, pretty soon in CA you will have to wear an ankle bracelet if you smoke!

Maruchan
11-20-2009, 03:03 PM
security is to ask of you to put it out, and thats it, police are the one's "enforcing" the law...

mdsd77
11-20-2009, 03:06 PM
security has been told not to force the issue, the Police are to make aware then force the issue.

nd being rent a cops on OT or employed with an outside agency, who would want to do the paperwork?

joehess
11-20-2009, 03:16 PM
I have no problem with a designated smoking spot for people. I myself am no smoker but I do have an issue with barring people from smoking in outdoor venues if its away from the main crowd

sdcat
11-20-2009, 03:30 PM
I think there should be a no smoking ban in the State of California.

KIdding.

But, if they go smoke far away from the seating and eating areas, they can smoke their brains out.

Dying from different forms of Cancer doesn't add to the arguement that smoking is OK. People are slowly killing themselves.

Smokers........quit. The life you save could be your own.

I feel better.

chargertom
11-20-2009, 03:40 PM
My friend refers to smoking as a "suicide layaway plan".

jackfrost
11-20-2009, 03:47 PM
My friend refers to smoking as a "suicide layaway plan".

Hey Top Cat..........

We've all gotta go sometime, may as well go doing something you enjoy I say .......

I've never drank, done the chem's or so forth, so this is my vice.

hell, I could walk out the front door this morning and get hit by a bus or a lightning bolt (thats one I'm wishing for actually)http://forums.chargers.com/images/icons/icon12.gif

You need to try one of Big Stiffy's Cuban cigars at next years reunion game.......... its one of life's true pleasures left I tell ya..............hahahahaha.

gazork
11-20-2009, 04:04 PM
"We've all gotta go sometime, may as well go doing something you enjoy I say ......."

Actually, you really don't enjoy it. It's just because you're addicted that you THINK you 'enjoy' smoking. When you quit, you really enjoy not smoking.

Quit shelling out $6.75 a pack or whatever it is and sucking poisonous fumes into your lungs, it's stupid and you will truly enjoy not smoking. I quit in 84' after 16 years of smoking 1 1/2 packs a day, after I was able to convince myself that quitting was easy, not hard, and that all of the 'pleasure' I was deriving from smoking was from the perspective of a smoker. When I became an ex-smoker, I eventually did not miss smoking, enjoyed taking clean breathes of air in, and saved a lot of money (and they were only .50 back then). When I quit smoking, it made me feel like I could do anything - it was in the bank. If I knew an asteroid was on the way, I still wouldn't light up now.

There's your unwanted and preachy but free and very valuable advice.

sdcat
11-20-2009, 04:05 PM
Saw a guy get zapped by lightning once. It took a while for him to pass.

I get your point. This takes a lot longer. Have fun.

BoltFanDan
11-20-2009, 04:11 PM
Why not just go up to the top of that walkway...and then jump off? It will be easier on your family/ loved ones in the end...they wont have to go the hospital and actually watch you die....Trust me...been there, done that...

jackfrost
11-20-2009, 04:13 PM
"We've all gotta go sometime, may as well go doing something you enjoy I say ......."

Actually, you really don't enjoy it. It's just because you're addicted that you THINK you 'enjoy' smoking. When you quit, you really enjoy not smoking.

Quit shelling out $6.75 a pack or whatever it is and sucking poisonous fumes into your lungs, it's stupid and you will truly enjoy not smoking. I quit in 84' after 16 years of smoking 1 1/2 packs a day, after I was able to convince myself that quitting was easy, not hard, and that all of the 'pleasure' I was deriving from smoking was from the perspective of a smoker. When I became an ex-smoker, I eventually did not miss smoking, enjoyed taking clean breathes of air in, and saved a lot of money (and they were only .50 back then). When I quit smoking, it made me feel like I could do anything - it was in the bank. If I knew an asteroid was on the way, I still wouldn't light up now.

Oh I hear ya mate...............and your absolutely spot on with your evaluation, I do realize that.

As for the "shelling out" part !!!!...............try $13.00 a pack down here ..........hahahahahaha

Totally absurd of me I know !!! http://forums.chargers.com/images/icons/icon10.gif

.....problem is I enjoy a smoke with my Coffee/Mocha/Tea............

Time will tell I guess, though I'm not getting any younger or smarter, so maybe its just mean't to be !!!

Bolts Chick 56
11-20-2009, 04:42 PM
Just a heads up they got lucky because two years ago I went to the Q for a football game against KC and smoked out there and they kicked us out without any refund so NO DO NOT SMOKE IT IS NOT WORTH IT. SMOKE WHEN YOU TAILGATE!!

ReggieF
11-20-2009, 04:56 PM
Good I'm glad the police are using the 'spirit of the law on this one'. I don't smoke personally, but I don't care if someone wants a smoke during the game or at half time. Testicular cancer and drinking kill more people per year than smoking does.

Well said. I'd like the "spirit" of the law to be enforced more often than the "word" hehe. Wow, I didn't know testicular cancer was that deadly. <insert inappropriate cmb joke here>

mc attack
11-20-2009, 05:06 PM
I think there should be a no smoking ban in the State of California.

KIdding.

But, if they go smoke far away from the seating and eating areas, they can smoke their brains out.

Dying from different forms of Cancer doesn't add to the arguement that smoking is OK. People are slowly killing themselves.

Smokers........quit. The life you save could be your own.

I feel better.

But then again, if they die....then their season ticket seats become available......hmmm.....I'm on the fence with this one

FutbolAmericano
11-20-2009, 05:19 PM
As for the "shelling out" part !!!!...............try $13.00 a pack down here

I don't smoke, but for those of you who do, at what price does it become economically feasible to grow your own tobacco and make them yourself?

Jay21
11-20-2009, 05:30 PM
I don't smoke, but for those of you who do, at what price does it become economically feasible to grow your own tobacco and make them yourself?

That is the way to go at almost any price. Organic grown, cured tobacco makes brand name cigarettes feel like swallowing shards of glass :)

Riverslovechild
11-20-2009, 05:45 PM

I love smoking to be honest. I hate smoking as well because of other people's intolerance and snooty "I am greater than you" perspective.

I actually had a guy once tell me that smoking was bad and he was holding a beer in one hand and a cheeseburger in the other. I was also once told by another person that smoking can cause problems for "innocent" people within range of my smoking. Then that person climbed into a car and drove off into the sunset leaving me in an exhaust cloud of spent fossil fuel. We all know fossil fuel contains plenty of healthy vitamins and minerals.

So when someone can come up to me who doesn't eat bad food that can cause serious harm in the long term to their bodies and doesn't drive a car I will be glad to listen to their gospel on the dangers of smoking that I already know and choose to bypass.

Are you that person?

hankster
11-20-2009, 06:33 PM
Just a heads up they got lucky because two years ago I went to the Q for a football game against KC and smoked out there and they kicked us out without any refund so NO DO NOT SMOKE IT IS NOT WORTH IT. SMOKE WHEN YOU TAILGATE!!

They would have needed at least 50 or more security guards and police. People were not hiding it at all and were smoking right in front of the security. I don't disagree with you - it's not worth it - but it was obvious that they were not going to enforce the rule in this particular area.

hankster
11-20-2009, 06:42 PM
This thread was originally about how you can now smoke with impunity in the stadium - at least that was my observation. Some overly retentive mod merged it at the end of a 3 month old thread having a different intent and meaning and thus losing what I was trying to convey. I guess this happens a lot as I read other posts complaining about similar happenings. Ticks me off.

jackfrost
11-20-2009, 06:50 PM

So your suggesting I rip out the roses and other shrubbery and plant some tobacco plants ????

Hmmm.......let me look into that FA !!! http://puntroadend.com/yabbse/Smileys/classic/thinking2.gif (javascript:void(0);)

jackfrost
11-20-2009, 06:56 PM
They would have needed at least 50 or more security guards and police. People were not hiding it at all and were smoking right in front of the security. I don't disagree with you - it's not worth it - but it was obvious that they were not going to enforce the rule in this particular area.

I and many others smoked down by the Gate F wall at the Monday Night Bronco's game......... other than a Rent-a-Cop coming by and asking for us to distinguish them, it was no problem whatsoever, quick puff-puff and it was on your way..............but I did see Cops ticketing others around Gate Oa at the Raider game..............had to be in stealth double secret probation mode on that occasion.....http://forums.chargers.com/images/icons/icon10.gif

FutbolAmericano
11-20-2009, 07:30 PM
So your suggesting I rip out the roses and other shrubbery and plant some tobacco plants ????

Hmmm.......let me look into that FA !!! http://puntroadend.com/yabbse/Smileys/classic/thinking2.gif (javascript:void(0);)

Yeah, I think you have to have some humidity, too, to grow tobacco. If your area of Australia is too dry (I don't know), then you could have a little green house. They grow it out on the east coast.

I'm thinking one leaf might produce the equivalent of almost a pack.

http://www.curingdeath.com/Images/Nicotiana_Tobacco_Plants.jpg

I was thinking of making a little green house to grow other herbs (legal ones) here in SD.

Kind of funny how this was merged with the other smoking at the Q thread and is in 'feedback'. I hope the webmaster doesn't think we're suggesting that they start growing organic tobacco at Chargers' park.