PDA

View Full Version : World Series Prediction Thread

Medford Bronco
10-26-2009, 10:33 AM
I am taking the Yanks in 6. I cant root for a team that their fans cheer when someone is hurt. Michael Irvin with a potential spine injury and the Philly fans cheered. I also hate the Flyers so much.

Go Yanks.

Bolt Cola
10-26-2009, 10:35 AM
Yanks in 5.....but I'm hoping for Phillies to sweep.

madflabby
10-26-2009, 11:47 AM
Philly in 6.

joehess
10-26-2009, 03:38 PM
Hope: Yankees in 4
Probably: yankees in 6

norcalcharger
10-26-2009, 03:50 PM
National League fan so I must root for them....Ta hell with the Spankees they've won enough..Go Phillies

JCDavey
10-26-2009, 04:22 PM
i want arod to finally get a ring since he's having his best playoffs ever

but i just think the phillies have too much experience

SD Snake
10-26-2009, 11:22 PM
Yanks in 6.

RandomTask
10-27-2009, 11:06 AM
Dodgers in 4 ;)

Medford Bronco
10-27-2009, 11:24 AM
Dodgers in 4 ;)

Yes on EA sports
LOL :D

good one :Beer:

Boltboy
10-27-2009, 05:12 PM
Phillies in 7

peteshawtheman
10-28-2009, 06:59 PM
Phillies in 7
I'll second that. Chase Utley is one of my favorite players; goodness, I wish he were a Padre. The Phillies bullpen and closer, though is very iffy. Good thing these two parks are bandboxes. If they played closer to Petco I would take the Yankees slightly stronger pitching.

Red Zone
10-28-2009, 07:07 PM
What happen to the LA vs LA series? ...aw too bad. :(

Phillies in 7. :eek:

Letsgobolts
10-28-2009, 11:18 PM
Born & raised outside the city. Some of my family is from NY. We're huge Yankee fans. (kind of odd that I'm a Chargers fan right?) Even though they lost today, I believe they can win. Philly is a tough team. The Yankee O didn't show up tonight, & the bullpen is filled with young, inexperienced kids (Joba, Hughes, D-Rob, Coke). Just jitters other than that it balances out that a lot of them do have the PS experiece like the "Old Guard" (AKA Jeter, Jorgie, Andy, & Mo). Hopefully tomorrow will be a better game. I'm excited I'll be at game 2. Its going to be loud. Yankee fans can't stand Pedro Matinez . I feel like the Yankees will rebound. The only thing I'm wry over tomorrow is AJ. Sometimes he walks a lot of people, & it doesn't help to take Posada's strong bat out of the lineup for Molina , even if Molina is a great defensive catcher.

lol anyway, people look at me like I'm nuts over here when I tell them the Chargers are my favorite team. Its a long story, but I've been a Chargers fan for a long long time.

ext3
10-29-2009, 12:56 PM
This seems much better than recent matchups, which
have fizzled in one-sided sweeps or near sweeps.
So I'll predict and hope for a 7 game series.
That catch by Cliff Lee was very casual(I mean the popup...not the ground ball behind his back...)
He just kept chewing his bubble gum, and seemed to be looking away from the ball, before it was even completely into his glove.

Medford Bronco
11-02-2009, 05:57 AM
Yanks looking good so far. :Beer:

Air Norv
11-02-2009, 05:29 PM
Barf, I hate the Yankee's. Go Phillies & the improbable come back.

Air Norv
11-02-2009, 09:34 PM
Phillies win & stay alive.

Medford Bronco
11-02-2009, 11:44 PM
Phils will not win 3 straight vs NY.

They got a win with their best on the mound and thier bullpen still is
shaky.

peteshawtheman
11-03-2009, 08:45 AM
Phils will not win 3 straight vs NY.

They got a win with their best on the mound and thier bullpen still is
shaky.
I must concur with my friend in Mass. The Yankees, not the Phils, are the ones putting up the crooked numbers. I hope Pedro doesn't get shelled tomorrow, but it's looking grim. Whatever happened to Ryan Howard? :(

Bolt Cola
11-03-2009, 08:48 AM
Could Chase Utley be the MVP on the losing team? He is tearing ish up.

Vengeance, Inc.
11-03-2009, 05:24 PM
Tomorrow's a little slow on it's giddy up. I can't wait!

I think the Phills win Game 6 but lose a close Game 7.

PhillyFan
11-03-2009, 05:26 PM
I'll second that. Chase Utley is one of my favorite players; goodness, I wish he were a Padre. The Phillies bullpen and closer, though is very iffy. Good thing these two parks are bandboxes. If they played closer to Petco I would take the Yankees slightly stronger pitching.

Our closer isn't iffy, he's a cardiac arrest just waiting to happen. The only thing that kept me sane was the fortunate timing of falling asleep Saturday night, before Lidge pulled a Chernobyl on us.

PhillyFan
11-03-2009, 05:29 PM
Tomorrow's a little slow on it's giddy up. I can't wait!

I think the Phills win Game 6 but lose a close Game 7.

I ain't likin the Phillies having to win 2 in NY. They should win tomorrow night, but if Hamels goes on Thursday, then hand the, steroids, and trophy to the team that $$$$$$$ built.

Medford Bronco
11-04-2009, 01:31 PM
Time for the Yanks to win tonight to shut up all the crybaby Sox fans that live near me lol

Jay21
11-05-2009, 12:20 AM
Thank god it's finally over. Now we can start getting new episodes of House again

JCDavey
11-05-2009, 12:25 AM
wtg arod!!!

finally you've got yourself a ring, well done

(give hideki a little bonus haha)

PhillyFan
11-05-2009, 04:49 AM
Bring on next year. The Phillies have proven they belong in the WS now, so let's bring the trophy back to Philadelphia, in 2010, without all of the dollar signs, and steroids.

Vengeance, Inc.
11-05-2009, 07:50 AM
That was sweet. Godzilla was literally a monster. Horns honking and some even had fireworks. (or gunshots) Sweet victory since The Core Four came back after nearly a decade-long hiatus on top.

Medford Bronco
11-05-2009, 01:23 PM
Bring on next year. The Phillies have proven they belong in the WS now, so let's bring the trophy back to Philadelphia, in 2010, without all of the dollar signs, and steroids.

The Phillies are far from the KC Royals

Phils increase '09 payroll to $131.5M

World Series champions lock up key players through '11

By Todd Zolecki / MLB.com
In these uncertain economic times, the Phillies seem pretty certain they have spent their money on a winner.
The last piece fell into place Sunday when Ryan Howard agreed a three-year, $54 million contract. It locked up a core of talent that should be together the next three seasons. Assuming the Phillies eventually pick up Jimmy Rollins' 2011 club option, Rollins, Howard, Chase Utley, Brad Lidge, Cole Hamels, Ryan Madson and Raul Ibanez are signed through 2011.
Of course, it came at a price. In a year when most teams seem to be cutting payroll or simply trying to maintain it because of a depressed economy, the Phillies' payroll has jumped from around $104 million on Opening Day 2008 to an estimated $131.5 million on Opening Day '09.
"We're fortunate to be in this position," Phillies general manager Ruben Amaro Jr. said. "If we can't put a World Series champion on the field at this level of payroll, that's my fault. We should be able to contend."
He is correct. Teams contend for much less. The Rays had a $43.8 million payroll last season, which ranked 29th in baseball. The Rockies had a $54.4 million payroll in 2007, when they reached the World Series. That ranked 25th in baseball. The Twins regularly contend in the American League Central with a small-market payroll. The Marlins spend little money, but always seem to be finding good young talent.
"You hope that the players perform to their contracts," Amaro said. "That's not always the case, so we are taking on risk here. But as far as our payroll is concerned, we depend on people coming to the ballpark. Just like any organization, we're going to have a finite level of revenues. As long as we have a quality product on the field, it equals people coming to the ballpark. That said, you don't know where the economy is going to take us. Frankly, we're hopeful that the economy straightens out so that it becomes less of a risk."
The Phillies' projected payroll is for a 25-man roster, plus three additional players: J.C. Romero, Adam Eaton and Jim Thome. Romero will open the season serving a 50-game suspension for violating the league's policy against performance-enhancing drugs. Eaton is not expected to make the team, but the Phils will be responsible for the majority of his salary should he be released and sign with another team. Thome is in the final year of the contract he originally signed with Philadelphia before the 2003 season. The club is paying $3 million of his $13 million salary.
Catchers Carlos Ruiz, Chris Coste, Ronny Paulino and left-hander Mike Zagurski are the only players on the 40-man roster unsigned. Ruiz and Coste or Paulino are expected to make the team, but two of them should cost no more than a combined $950,000. The projection also includes an estimated $3 million in signing bonuses for Ibanez and Lidge.
"It's a calculated risk based on what kind of talent we have on the club," Amaro said of the boosted payroll. "If you go up and down the lineup and through our rotation and bullpen, the people that we've targeted to longer-term deals, we feel like we have control over the next several years. I think we have the right mix of youth and veteran players. It's all about how the players perform. They're the ones who make us smart or dumb. We feel that we have a contending club for the foreseeable future."
Amaro said he didn't need to convince Phillies president David Montgomery to sign Howard, Hamels, Madson, Ibanez, Jamie Moyer, Jayson Werth and Greg Dobbs to multiyear contracts this offseason.
http://forums.chargers.com/mlb/images/news/hot_stove/y2008/include.jpg (http://forums.chargers.com/mlb/news/hot_stove/y2008/index.jsp)

"Fortunately for us, I have a boss who I certainly have to get agreements from and have to discuss certain things form, but we're kind of on the same page," Amaro said. "It was the right thing to do."
Here is a look at that projected 2009 Opening Day payroll:
PITCHERS
Joe Blanton ($5.475 million)
Clay Condrey ($650,000)
Chad Durbin ($1.635 million)
Eaton ($8.5 million, plus a $500,000 buyout for 2010)
Scott Eyre ($2 million)
Hamels ($4.35 million)
J.A. Happ ($405,000)
Kyle Kendrick ($475,000)
Lidge ($11.5 million, plus an estimated $1 million signing bonus)
Madson ($3 million)
Moyer ($6.5 million)
Brett Myers ($12 million)
Chan Ho Park ($2.5 million)
Romero ($4 million, minus $1.25 million for 50-game suspension)

CATCHERS
Carlos Ruiz (unsigned)
Chris Coste or Ronny Paulino (unsigned)

INFIELDERS
Eric Bruntlett ($800,000)
Dobbs ($1.15 million)
Howard ($15 million)
Feliz ($5 million)
Rollins ($7.5 million, plus a $1 million signing bonus)
Utley ($11 million, plus a $250,000 signing bonus)

OUTFIELDERS
Ibanez ($6.5 million, plus a $2 million signing bonus)
Geoff Jenkins ($6.75 million, plus a $1.25 million buyout)
Matt Stairs ($1 million)
Shane Victorino ($3.125 million)
Jayson Werth ($3 million)
OTHER
Thome ($3 million)

Medford Bronco
11-05-2009, 01:24 PM
That was sweet. Godzilla was literally a monster. Horns honking and some even had fireworks. (or gunshots) Sweet victory since The Core Four came back after nearly a decade-long hiatus on top.

I loved it DS. The Sox can can all cry today like the babies that they are lol :D

PhillyFan
11-06-2009, 11:17 PM
Eaton ($8.5 million, plus a $500,000 buyout for 2010)

I still can't believe that this waste of roster space, in 2008, is still somehow connected to the Phillies.

I was one of the proud thousands that booed his arse, at the ring presentation game, waaaay back in April. He actually had the nerve to show up. Heck, even So Taguchi knew better than to make an appearance.

Letsgobolts
11-07-2009, 02:47 PM
I ain't likin the Phillies having to win 2 in NY. They should win tomorrow night, but if Hamels goes on Thursday, then hand the, steroids, and trophy to the team that $$$$$$$ built.

I hate to say it, but Philly fans are much worse then Boston Fans. People need to stop with the mentality of the money. Boston has a lot of money in stock too. Even if they put a salary cap on, do you honestly think that would stop certain players from wanting to be Yankees? A lot of people want to be a Yankee. They played awesome all season. Even when their key players went down the bench is so valuable that the young kids stepped up big time. (Nino, Cervelli etc)

PhillyFan
11-07-2009, 05:55 PM
Hey, I'm still learning the ways of baseball, and the almighty dollar, even now. I guess, the Phillies should look into signing Halladay, and Lackey at $250,000,000 a piece. Is that a fair price?

Tjchargerfan
11-16-2009, 06:09 PM
i am taking the yanks in 6. I cant root for a team that their fans cheer when someone is hurt. Michael irvin with a potential spine injury and the philly fans cheered. I also hate the flyers so much.

Go yanks.

you called it

SDChargersCV
12-19-2009, 07:43 PM
Padres all the way this YEAR YEAH! :LightsOut:

Medford Bronco
12-21-2009, 06:37 PM
Padres all the way this YEAR YEAH! :LightsOut:

lol good luck on that one. At least you got a GM that might make some changes. Just dont trade Gonzales to Boston too early. Jacoby Ellsbury and Clay Bucholtz are good players. You will like them, but losing AG would hurt. (just my rumors heard in Boston here. )