PDA

View Full Version : Raiders to cut JaFlopus Russell

Al "T.D." Bundy
04-27-2010, 04:31 PM
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/04/27/report-raiders-will-cut-russell-possibly-this-week/

It's a matter of "When", not "If".

charger1_sj
04-27-2010, 05:04 PM
If they cut him will he be the biggest bust of all time surpassing Ryan Leaf?
That is really the only question that matters. Get us off the books for that one.

MathewsNotMatthews24
04-27-2010, 05:12 PM
damn!!! i missed watching us beat him!!! maybe he'll go to the broncos :)

JoeMcRugby
04-27-2010, 05:13 PM
If they cut him will he be the biggest bust of all time surpassing Ryan Leaf?
That is really the only question that matters. Get us off the books for that one.

The Cryin' One certainly hopes so. ;)

"If I'm going to be the biggest bust, I have to own up to it,'' Leaf says. "I used to go to bed at night hoping somebody else like Heath Shuler might magically leapfrog me on those all-time bust lists.

"It never happened. Why? Because I am No. 1. I can't even think of anyone else in the ballpark that might be close to my combination of disappointment and failed expectations.''

He laughs, and I don't recall hearing that before, certainly not as a prelude to something even more unexpected, self-deprecating humor.

"I dodged a bullet,'' he says. "A strong case can be made that Peyton Manning is the greatest quarterback since Unitas. It's bad enough as it is, but just imagine if I had been picked ahead of Peyton.''

http://articles.latimes.com/2010/apr/17/sports/la-sp-simers-20100418

BMoseleyINC
04-27-2010, 05:18 PM
He's IMO a way bigger flop then Ryan. Ryan loved the game, just wasn't mature enough to handle all the pressure put on him. He still isn't mature either, but at least he was coaching college Qb's.

Russel doens't give a **** about football anymore now that he's paid. He's on the sideline eating skittles, and listening to his ipod.

808BOLTFAN
04-27-2010, 05:27 PM
Report: Raiders will cut Russell, possibly this week

Posted by Michael David Smith on April 27, 2010 4:57 PM ET
Even after the Oakland Raiders traded for Jason Campbell, coach Tom Cable said it was possible (http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/04/26/tom-cable-says-jason-campbell-shouldnt-assume-hell-start/) for JaMarcus Russell to earn the starting job. But a new report says the Raiders are going to cut Russell, possibly as soon as this week.

John Clayton of ESPN reports that the Raiders cutting Russell is a matter of "when," not "if," (http://espn.go.com/blog/afcwest/post/_/id/12778/clayton-raiders-preparing-to-cut-russell) and that the team could release Russell before Oakland's upcoming minicamp, which opens Friday.

The Raiders will save $6.45 million (http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/04/25/cutting-jamarcus-would-save-645-million/) if they cut Russell this year. It should probably go without saying that there's no trade market for him.

If Russell goes, the Raiders would have four quarterbacks left on their roster: Campbell, Bruce Gradkowski, Charlie Frye and Kyle Boller.

-------------
I was really hoping that they would keep him around..lmaooo..now we'll have some real competition from the Raiders.

nmboltsfan
04-27-2010, 05:29 PM
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!! I loved Russel. :(

MathewsNotMatthews24
04-27-2010, 05:29 PM
He's IMO a way bigger flop then Ryan. Ryan loved the game, just wasn't mature enough to handle all the pressure put on him. He still isn't mature either, but at least he was coaching college Qb's.

Russel doens't give a **** about football anymore now that he's paid. He's on the sideline eating skittles, and listening to his ipod.

ditto. you just summed it up. at least leaf wanted to play, and he was skinnier than JaFatass.

Al "T.D." Bundy
04-27-2010, 05:30 PM
http://forums.chargers.com/showpost.php?p=3030024&postcount=1

RaiderzFanInSD
04-27-2010, 05:39 PM
Good Riddance

madman
04-27-2010, 05:46 PM
there is no chance that they keep him.. Hes terribad and doesn't care about football

Tristan
04-27-2010, 05:51 PM
Lets pick him up! Big improvement over "Cry me a Rivers"!!

JOE KING
04-27-2010, 06:18 PM
I think he's a bigger bust than Leaf, literally and figuratively.

ChargerBeast11
04-27-2010, 07:15 PM
Aww I thought they might have given him another chance. Oh well, we'll always beat the Raiders.

JerryinCA
04-27-2010, 07:40 PM
Addition by subtraction, him leaving automatically makes them better as an offense, that's not saying much lol but that team could turn it around, they sure gave us all we could handle when we played them last year.

E SMITTY
04-27-2010, 07:44 PM
Damn he was our second best qb on the roster. 2 times a year he almost completed the same amount of passes that Rivers did to us lol .

SactownBolts
04-27-2010, 08:01 PM
I think he's a bigger bust than Leaf, literally and figuratively.

Hahahaha, man... Russell is so fat.

JoeMcRugby
04-27-2010, 08:43 PM
Addition by subtraction, him leaving automatically makes them better as an offense, that's not saying much lol but that team could turn it around, they sure gave us all we could handle when we played them last year.

As the 1-15 Chargers did to the 12-4 AFC West division champ Raiders a few years back:

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/sdg/2000.htm

It's a rivalry game that often results in closer scores than you'd otherwise expect.

Bottom line: 13 games and counting. :Cheers:

chargertom
04-27-2010, 09:01 PM
I say we should offer him a job as our new NT.

nIdentify
04-27-2010, 09:11 PM
In all honesty, the Raiders are an improving team, and I've always told everyone that if JaMarcus wasn't the starter, they'd have a team very capable of .500.

To me, this is terrible news.

JoeMcRugby
04-27-2010, 09:23 PM
In all honesty, the Raiders are an improving team, and I've always told everyone that if JaMarcus wasn't the starter, they'd have a team very capable of .500.

To me, this is terrible news.

I've been hearing that same old line for 6 years now - through multiple QBs, coaches and players.

Did anyone see Campbell play against the Chargers 2nd string last December with a similar team as the Raiduhs? If you did, you've seen a microcosm of his entire NFL career:

He's a check-off passer who doesn't look down the field for receivers - a bad match for the Raiders.

Unbelievably, the Raiders stuck with Cable for another season. After 2010, they'll be searching for their next head coach. :Cheers:

David110
04-28-2010, 12:20 AM
Hahahaha, man... Russell is so fat.

LOL...I can on thing of The Hangover with this post...

He's so funny because he's fat....

LarryAW
04-28-2010, 12:26 AM
ditto. you just summed it up. at least leaf wanted to play, and he was skinnier than JaFatass.

I had the distinct impression Ryan wanted his big payday and and didn't care after that. But, I've been known to be wrong a few (million) times.

Maybe the NFL Commissioner will step in and declare Russell too big to fail. Sorry, I couldn't resist.

Charger Dodger
04-28-2010, 09:38 AM
I've been hearing that same old line for 6 years now - through multiple QBs, coaches and players.

Did anyone see Campbell play against the Chargers 2nd string last December with a similar team as the Raiduhs? If you did, you've seen a microcosm of his entire NFL career:

He's a check-off passer who doesn't look down the field for receivers - a bad match for the Raiders.

Unbelievably, the Raiders stuck with Cable for another season. After 2010, they'll be searching for their next head coach. :Cheers:

THIS

I'm sick and tired of hearing people, especially Raider fans who are mostly my friends in real life say now they're in the hunt for a SB w/ all these acquisitions, Draft, Jason Campbell. Despite his size, he doesn't win games. And the games I saw he played in were mediocre at best. He's a very mediocre QB. With Tom "Unable to head coach" Cable, they are stuck with their lame "smash mouth football". It hasn't worked for 2 years, its not going to work with Campbell. You could put my money on that.

Raider Disliker
04-28-2010, 11:35 AM

Given Cable's domestic battery troubles, he should pick up Clinton Hart (in a Florida jail for domestic battery)! I could see Russell as QB of the Las Vegas Locomotives of the UFL; he can work himself back into shape. What you say about Campbell makes me quite happy -- Al likes to "stretch the field vertically," and Campbell is apparently a "dink and dunk" man (nickel and dime).

starry
04-28-2010, 01:43 PM
I've heard his playing stats are actually better than Ryan Leaf, so maybe he isn't worse than him even though he is poor.

JoeMcRugby
04-28-2010, 02:05 PM
I've heard his playing stats are actually better than Ryan Leaf, so maybe he isn't worse than him even though he is poor.

The stakes were just as high - if not higher - with Russell being the #1 pick.

It's neck-and-neck for the "top spot". ;)

jagerbolt
04-28-2010, 02:36 PM
Awwww I'm gonna miss that big ole interception machine.

His replacement is nothing amazing, BUT if Gradkowski of all people can lead them to some wins then Campbell will be an improvement. Maybe they'll hit .500 this season?

21and500
04-28-2010, 03:50 PM

im undecided as of now, but what comes to mind is ryan snapping at jay posner and waiting for seau to come rescue him from not having to ACTUALLY do anything. hahaha im sliding to favoring a lazy QB than an immature morron with an attitude. its a great debate no doubt.

call me crazy, but since the ryan era has been dead and gone, and we're a winning franchise now, i kinda take pride in our turn around. it makes it a greater accomplishment having ryan be the unofficially biggest bust of ALL time. its kinda funny to be infamous. but if there is a loser that will one day over shaddow leaf, why not let it be a raider? especially since teams are generally less patient than in the past.

renojim
04-28-2010, 06:53 PM
A thought... the Raiders wont let Russell go without Uncle ALs OK. Is AL listening to people now or did it sink in how bad Russell is. I agree with Joe about Cable.

Jay21
04-29-2010, 03:07 AM
Not so fast...

http://twitter.com/adam_schefter

Surprise, surprise: Raiders have not cut QB JaMarcus Russell and they plan to have him attend this weekend's minicamp to compete.

:crazy:

MrNAFTA
04-29-2010, 02:49 PM
damn!!! i missed watching us beat him!!! maybe he'll go to the broncos :)

You can look forward to us breaking Tebow down year after year on national tv.