PDA

View Full Version : Padres 2011

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Chiprocks1
11-01-2010, 11:18 PM
Previous Seasons

Padres 2010 (http://forums.chargers.com/showthread.php?t=77829)

Although the calendar isn't quite 2011 yet, it technically is now the start of the 2011 Season for the Padres with the conclusion of the World Series tonight. Time for us to chart everything from Free Agent signings and trades leading into Spring Training and then the new season.

This will be the year the Padres put it all together and bring home the Championship. :)

Chiprocks1
11-01-2010, 11:23 PM
I think Miggy will be back. As for the rest of the team, I think we will see a overhaul for the most part, meaning we will have a busy off-season till Spring Training.

Below is what I consider to be Position locks to start Season 2011 IMO. The rest are open for whoever comes in.

1st Base - A-Gon
2nd Base -
3rd Base -
Shortstop - Miggy
Left Field -
Center Field -
Right Field -
Catcher - Torrealba/Hundley

Pitchers - Garland/Richard/Latos/Stauffer
Closer - Bell

I see Tony Gwynn, Jerry Hairston, Chase Headley, Kyle Blanks returning, but probably at reduced playing time should we go out and fill in their spots. As for Will Venable, it depends on what happens with Ryan Ludwick. If we resign him, then you can pencil him into Right Field and Venable into Left field. We don't resign him, the Will back to Right, leaving left open for FA.

Tony needs to step up his game at the plate if he is to retain the Center Field spot. I think we will go out and sign someone (anyone) before the season begins and use Tony for late inning, defensive purposes. But should Tony somehow transform himself into a much better hitter between now and the start of Spring Training, he can reclaim his rightful spot in center IMO.

I still hope the Padres FO can resign Chris Young for a reduced contract price, to fill in the 5th spot. He is the unknown variable for the rotation. And by 5th spot, I mean he would of course be in the 1-2 spot of the rotation if signed.

This is how I see it. Remains to be seen how Jed Hoyer sees it though. Should be a very interesting off season. Just don't disappoint me Mr. Hoyer.

sdadc
11-01-2010, 11:25 PM
Nice, Chip. Starting early!? Let's go 2011!

Chiprocks1
11-02-2010, 01:46 AM
Nice, Chip. Starting early!? Let's go 2011!

It's never too early to start. We have a lot of moves to make over the course of the off season. Hopefully we will be filling up this thread with a lot of positives and very few negatives.

SERAPHiMxANGEL
11-02-2010, 09:44 AM
Beltre and Hudson please!=p

Chiprocks1
11-02-2010, 10:39 AM
Should Jed lock up any existing Padre players first before diving into the FA market? Or are you guys okay with grabbing what we can and then coming back and taking care of business at home?

sdadc
11-02-2010, 10:56 AM
Should Jed lock up any existing Padre players first before diving into the FA market? Or are you guys okay with grabbing what we can and then coming back and taking care of business at home?

If it means signing A-Gon long term.. then lock him up! Otherwise, i'd like to see some exciting news roll in about new free agents

ScootMagroot
11-02-2010, 11:12 AM
I hope you do realize that there is no reason to resign Ludwick....he's already under contract for 2011. Also Torrealba refused his option, though they would still like to sign him.

Chiprocks1
11-02-2010, 11:13 AM
If it means signing A-Gon long term.. then lock him up! Otherwise, i'd like to see some exciting news roll in about new free agents

So, do you think that Jed and Company will offer him a huge contract in the same way they did with Jake Peavy with the intention to trade him midway through the lifetime of his new contract? We all know that when Jake got his contract, they had in the back of their minds they were going to trade him away regardless if we were contending or not. This has been on mind going back to the middle of the 2009 season.

dekkerbasser
11-02-2010, 11:29 AM
Hey everybody.

Chiprocks1
11-02-2010, 11:34 AM
Hey everybody.

Took you long enough to make yourself known in this thread. :)

dekkerbasser
11-02-2010, 11:34 AM
Took you long enough to make yourself known in this thread. :)

Well, I figured that I'd let you guys go first...:rolleyes:

Chiprocks1
11-02-2010, 11:37 AM
Well, I figured that I'd let you guys go first...:rolleyes:

That's what she said. http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i266/Chiprocks1/Smilies/0%20All%20Smilies/rimshot.gif

Now, bring on the Free Agents!!!!

dekkerbasser
11-02-2010, 12:36 PM
Torreabla declined his option...

sdadc
11-02-2010, 12:41 PM
Torreabla declined his option...

does that just mean he wants more money?

Chiprocks1
11-02-2010, 12:42 PM

Yep. If he wants less, then he should fire his agent.

dekkerbasser
11-02-2010, 12:43 PM

Possibly. He declined to sign for his half of $3.5m...

That's too bad. I liked him.

sdadc
11-02-2010, 01:12 PM
Making sure Yorvit comes back has to be one of Jed's top priorities.. i'm pretty sure our pitching was nowhere near what it is now with Hundley/Blanco behind the plate

dekkerbasser
11-02-2010, 01:13 PM
Making sure Yorvit comes back has to be one of Jed's top priorities.. i'm pretty sure our pitching was nowhere near what it is now with Hundley/Blanco behind the plate

Totally agree. It's nice having a catcher that can catch people stealing bases...

Chiprocks1
11-02-2010, 01:22 PM
I think if the Padres don't resign Torrealba, it would be disastrous for our chances in 2011 IMO. He brings a lot to the table. More then just an arm to throw runners out. It's the intangibles and leadership he has that would be irreplaceable.

SERAPHiMxANGEL
11-02-2010, 02:03 PM
This is our last chance... A gon is gone next year. Its time to make a huge push.

Chiprocks1
11-03-2010, 03:22 PM
The Padres have declined the option on Chris Young, making him a Free Agent. Other news, the Padres exercised the option on A-Gon. No shock there. I hope the Padres and CY can work something out. I want to see him return to the Padres.

Rivers4MVP
11-03-2010, 09:24 PM
Next year and the year after is going to be brutal. the ownership doesn't want to spend the cash, the future is always bleak for small-market teams, this is why baseball is a joke at times

Chiprocks1
11-04-2010, 01:34 PM
Padres 2010 Season In Review (http://mlb.mlb.com/video/play.jsp?content_id=12744999&c_id=sd)

Ugh. Watching this hurt. What could have been. What should have been. Hopefully we can put all the pieces of the puzzle together for 2011.

RandomTask
11-05-2010, 09:28 AM
After seeing what free agents were signed and those that lefy I think one thing is very clear ... this team is going to look very different than it did last year (and that team won 90 games).

SERAPHiMxANGEL
11-05-2010, 02:40 PM
Pierzynski Yet To Hear An Offer From White Sox (http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2010/11/pierzynski-yet-to-hear-an-offer-from-white-sox.html)

By Mark Polishuk [November 3, 2010 at 8:36pm CST]
In an interview with Jim Bowden on MLB Network Radio today, A.J. Pierzynski (http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/p/pierza.01.shtml?utm_source=direct&utm_medium=linker&utm_campaign=Linker) said that the White Sox have not made him an offer (http://twitter.com/JimBowdenXMFOX/status/29607131749) to return to the club in 2011. (Twitter link) Pierzynski doesn't specify if the club has made any contact with him at all, and it's worth noting that Chicago still has three days left of exclusive negotiating time for pending free agents. Given that Pierzynski said he would like to keep playing in Chicago "but they are going to have to want him first (http://twitter.com/JimBowdenXMFOX/status/29607292333)," however, it seems unlikely that the Sox have opened negotiations.
Pierzynski went into detail about his criteria for a new team (http://twitter.com/JimBowdenXMFOX/status/29606967339) (another Twitter link): in order, his new club must be a contender, be willing to give him a starting job, be located close to his home in Florida and along those same lines must also have their spring training camp in Florida and be a "quick flight home." He says the Marlins, Padres, Rangers, Rays and Red Sox "would all be good fits." All of these teams except the Rays were mentioned by MLBTR's Ben Nicholson-Smith in his look at potential suitors (http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2010/10/potential-suitors-for-aj-pierzynski.html) for Pierzynski. All make some sense on Pierzynski's checklist, though the Rangers and Padres are in Arizona for spring training and San Diego is a cross-country flight away from his home.

we should get this guy. he wants to play for us. good hitter.

SERAPHiMxANGEL
11-05-2010, 02:40 PM
And if we trade A-gon. We need to get Adam Dunn.

dekkerbasser
11-08-2010, 01:22 PM
We're shopping Heath Bell.

Chiprocks1
11-08-2010, 01:57 PM
We're stopping Heath Bell from leaving.

Fixed for ya.

dekkerbasser
11-08-2010, 01:58 PM
Fixed for ya.

:confused:

CLINT WESTWOOD
11-08-2010, 03:57 PM
Padres 2010 Season In Review (http://mlb.mlb.com/video/play.jsp?content_id=12744999&c_id=sd)

Ugh. Watching this hurt. What could have been. What should have been. Hopefully we can put all the pieces of the puzzle together for 2011.

im still bummed too yo...

Timmet2332
11-08-2010, 09:09 PM
im still bummed too yo...

We all are. Some Giants fan said I should show a healthy level of detachment when I mentioned how much it sucked to watch them celebrate our championship; I told him to F himself.

Chiprocks1
11-08-2010, 09:19 PM
I told him to F himself.

Timmet ftw!!!!!!!!!! :LightsOut:

sdadc
11-09-2010, 11:37 AM
Since A-Gon isn't gonna be back in 2011.. who thinks we should just trade him now? We picked up his option, but can we still trade him before the season starts? I hate the fact that he's pretty much gone after this season and i don't like the idea of knowing he's not gonna be with us anymore. Let's get our future started now.. even if it means without A-Gon :(

dekkerbasser
11-09-2010, 11:48 AM
Since A-Gon isn't gonna be back in 2011.. who thinks we should just trade him now? We picked up his option, but can we still trade him before the season starts? I hate the fact that he's pretty much gone after this season and i don't like the idea of knowing he's not gonna be with us anymore. Let's get our future started now.. even if it means without A-Gon :(

I say we keep him. He wants to stay in SD and he's our best hitter. Hopefully we can get some other hitters in the offseason.

It's gonna be a sad day when he gets traded...

Chiprocks1
11-09-2010, 12:04 PM
Since A-Gon isn't gonna be back in 2011..

Don't you mean 2012? Jed Hoyer has said that he is a Padre for this coming season based his option being picked up. I think if we get off to a really bad start from opening day and it continues to stay bad for the first month of the season, he will be traded long before the July Trade Deadline. But if the Padres can repeat what they did for the 2010 season and contend, he will be with us to the end, which would mean that we will get nothing in return by way of trades and we will have to settle for draft picks.

dekkerbasser
11-10-2010, 01:44 PM
Hundley is gonna be starting as of right now. Gonzo is wearing a sling and cannot swing a bat for at least 4 months. Tsuyoshi Nishioka is interested in us along with the entire NLWest. Who the hell is that guy? Some 26yr IF currently playing in Japan. I wonder why he is so interested in the NLW...

Bolt Cola
11-10-2010, 01:57 PM
Hundley is gonna be starting as of right now. Gonzo is wearing a sling and cannot swing a bat for at least 4 months. Tsuyoshi Nishioka is interested in us along with the entire NLWest. Who the hell is that guy? Some 26yr IF currently playing in Japan. I wonder why he is so interested in the NLW...

if he can play second base or hit better than Chase at 3rd(not very difficult)...im all for this. As for the NL West...closer to Japan???

dekkerbasser
11-10-2010, 02:04 PM
if he can play second base or hit better than Chase at 3rd(not very difficult)...im all for this. As for the NL West...closer to Japan???

I thought that as well, but then what about ALW? Strange...

Rivers4MVP
11-13-2010, 01:53 PM
http://hardballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/11/13/padres-talking-with-marlins-about-cameron-maybin/

Maybin coming to town

Chiprocks1
11-13-2010, 02:42 PM
http://hardballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/11/13/padres-talking-with-marlins-about-cameron-maybin/

Maybin coming to town

NOW they decide to trade Mujica? And throwing in Ryan Webb is a plus for the Padres IMO.

MathewsNotMatthews24
11-13-2010, 03:41 PM
glad we didnt give up too much for maybin, as last year, the marlins were interested in a bell/maybin deal. glad we got another OFer and got to keep gregerson/adams/bell/frieri

Bolt Cola
11-13-2010, 04:21 PM
i think the writing is on the wall now for TGj...I'm not all that familiar with Maybin, but I know he is an upgrade over what we had.

sdadc
11-13-2010, 05:17 PM
Nice! Maybin has good potential in our lineup.. hopefully he doesn't turn into the TGJ of 2010 though.. so long Mujica and Webb, you guys were good, but not clutch.

SDfootball61
11-14-2010, 04:12 AM
haha ^ thats waht i was thinkin. Mujica just gave up too many long balls for my liking. I liked webb, but he wasn't essential for us. Our bullpen is the best in baseball and with Maybin added, i'm looking forward to how this season is gonna play out, espeicially if we add more pieces like i think we will.

SERAPHiMxANGEL
11-14-2010, 10:16 AM
So Maybin starting CF... If we keep Ludwick do we stick with venable in LF? Or put Ludwick in LF and look for a RF in Free Agency?

dekkerbasser
11-14-2010, 10:18 AM
So Maybin starting CF... If we keep Ludwick do we stick with venable in LF? Or put Ludwick in LF and look for a RF in Free Agency?

Venable showed some promise... I say keep him for now.

Chiprocks1
11-14-2010, 10:53 AM
Venable showed some promise... I say keep him for now.

This mornings sports section of SDUT were impying that Tony Gwynn, Ryan Ludwick, Scott Hairston, and Chris Denorfia were history with the trade for Cameron Maybin. I have to disagree with junking Tony Gwynn just yet. He has a lot to prove this off season obviously and hopefully something good will come out of this as his motivation.

As for Ryan, he will be coming back. Scott is as good as gone. And I really don't know what to make of Denorfia. Should we bring him back and just move on?

And what to do with Kyle Blanks? Can he even come back and regain whatever he had before the injury? We really only got a glimpse of what he could do for half a season in 2009. I just don't think he has it, if he ever had it to begin with. I dunno.

dekkerbasser
11-14-2010, 10:54 AM
We gave up ALL of that for Maybin?!?!!?!?!? :confused::mad:

Chiprocks1
11-14-2010, 10:56 AM

Don't worry. I'm sure there will be a couple of other pitchers to serve up your gopher balls. So you will still came away from the game with a souvenir that you are looking for.

Rivers4MVP
11-14-2010, 11:07 AM
it's a great trade

SERAPHiMxANGEL
11-14-2010, 01:42 PM
Ludwick is staying... Deno and Hairston are gone.

SDfootball61
11-14-2010, 02:46 PM
Carl Crawford FTWWWWW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

dekkerbasser
11-14-2010, 02:47 PM
Carl Crawford FTWWWWW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Arent the Yanks pulling for him?

JammerHammer23
11-14-2010, 05:22 PM
Arent the Yanks pulling for him?

We don't need him. We have a good LF in Gardner, and Grandy is good in CF. Cliff Lee is ours.

Crawford will probably go to the Sox or the Angels. No idea where Werth goes, but he isn't that great anyway.

And the Maybin deal seems pretty good.

dekkerbasser
11-15-2010, 08:33 AM
This mornings sports section of SDUT were impying that Tony Gwynn, Ryan Ludwick, Scott Hairston, and Chris Denorfia were history with the trade for Cameron Maybin. I have to disagree with junking Tony Gwynn just yet. He has a lot to prove this off season obviously and hopefully something good will come out of this as his motivation.

As for Ryan, he will be coming back. Scott is as good as gone. And I really don't know what to make of Denorfia. Should we bring him back and just move on?

And what to do with Kyle Blanks? Can he even come back and regain whatever he had before the injury? We really only got a glimpse of what he could do for half a season in 2009. I just don't think he has it, if he ever had it to begin with. I dunno.

Okay, I get it now. I thought that we gave up four players for Maybin but it turns out we only got rid of Mujica and Webb. Good trade for sure!

rjb1816
11-15-2010, 08:56 AM
so glad mujica is gone. Webb was decent but not that much of a loss when you upgrade offense and defense in CF. Great deal I think

Rivers4MVP
11-15-2010, 04:23 PM
Ludwick was complete trash, I don't want them to waste like 6 million on him. Hairston stunk last year, but I like him for some reason, he has always been clutch, keep him, if he is cheap. I loved Denorfia last year, old-school, scrappy player who actually had a very good season, he was pretty clutch as well. Gwynn, his glove is great, but his hitting doesn't cut it.

dekkerbasser
11-15-2010, 04:30 PM
Ludwick was complete trash, I don't want them to waste like 6 million on him. Hairston stunk last year, but I like him for some reason, he has always been clutch, keep him, if he is cheap. I loved Denorfia last year, old-school, scrappy player who actually had a very good season, he was pretty clutch as well. Gwynn, his glove is great, but his hitting doesn't cut it.

His bunts were pretty badass, too.

Chiprocks1
11-15-2010, 04:34 PM
His bunts were pretty badass, too.

His inside-the-park Home Runs even more so.

MathewsNotMatthews24
11-15-2010, 05:29 PM

Blanks is expected to become Adrian's sucessor....

SERAPHiMxANGEL
11-16-2010, 09:46 AM
I wish the padres season could start already.. sadly its only the begining of the off season.:(

Chiprocks1
11-16-2010, 09:57 AM
I wish the padres season could start already.. sadly its only the begining of the off season.:(

I may post my own Padres fantasy season to get me through this long and painful off season. :D

JammerHammer23
11-16-2010, 05:23 PM
Hate to say it, but it may be time to move A-Gon. It seems that right now, they won't be able to afford him, and while he does make it fun to watch SD baseball, getting some very good prospects (because you will get those) could help more in the long run.

Is Donovan Tate supposed to be up soon?

MathewsNotMatthews24
11-16-2010, 05:35 PM
Hate to say it, but it may be time to move A-Gon. It seems that right now, they won't be able to afford him, and while he does make it fun to watch SD baseball, getting some very good prospects (because you will get those) could help more in the long run.

Is Donovan Tate supposed to be up soon?

Not yet, tates been hampered with injuries so far, think he's in the AZ instructional league now. Still hasn't reached lake Elsinore (A) yet, so he's not ready yet...

As for a-gon, would it bd better to trade him & bell now? Or during the season? (July-ish)

Chiprocks1
11-16-2010, 06:36 PM
As for a-gon, would it bd better to trade him & bell now? Or during the season? (July-ish)

During the season. There's too many "what-if" scenarios that would come back to bite us in the a** if we got rid of him too soon. If we are in the hunt, he will stay, even at the expense of not getting the best deal by way of picks. If we are out of the race, then my guess is we would benefit from a bidding war with other teams jockeying for position to get the trade to happen with the...(insert team that wants him, here).

SERAPHiMxANGEL
11-17-2010, 07:20 AM
Braves got Uggla!=[

Chiprocks1
11-17-2010, 07:31 AM
Braves got Uggla!=[

Sounds like an infection.

Padres15
11-17-2010, 10:08 AM
The padres would be looking very good for 2012 2013 if they trade gonzo trade bell trade Ludwick (even though he's not worth much). By 2013 Castro Luebke Latos stauffer will all be studs in the rotation we will have one like the giants had this year. We'll have:
Luis Durango
Drew Cumberland
Cameron maybin
Kyle blanks
James Darnell
Aaron cunningham
Logan forsyth
Nick Hundley

SERAPHiMxANGEL
11-17-2010, 12:32 PM
Bud black manager of the year!!

RandomTask
11-17-2010, 12:32 PM
Bud Black wins Manager of the Year. Discuss...

Man you JUST beat me!

SERAPHiMxANGEL
11-17-2010, 12:33 PM
The padres would be looking very good for 2012 2013 if they trade gonzo trade bell trade Ludwick (even though he's not worth much). By 2013 Castro Luebke Latos stauffer will all be studs in the rotation we will have one like the giants had this year. We'll have:
Luis Durango
Drew Cumberland
Cameron maybin
Kyle blanks
James Darnell
Aaron cunningham
Logan forsyth
Nick Hundley
that doesnt look good at all..

Chiprocks1
11-17-2010, 12:37 PM
Bud black manager of the year!!

No comment.

SERAPHiMxANGEL
11-17-2010, 12:42 PM
No comment.

You got to give him SOME credit..

Chiprocks1
11-17-2010, 12:44 PM
You got to give him SOME credit..

Credit card is about all I'll give him. Just not mine of course.

Chiprocks1
11-17-2010, 12:50 PM
Reading the article on A-Gon in yesterday mornings sport section, he mentions why it would be beneficial for him to stay in San Diego (hometown, family lives here, etc...) and why it would be beneficial for him to go elsewhere (hitter's friendly park, etc...).

I've come up with a full proof solution. Build a retractable fence. When A-Gon comes to bat, move the fence inward about 100 yards. When his at-bat is over, retract fence back to original distance. Everyone is happy. Except the opposing team. But who cares right? We are not out to make them happy anyways. :D

So Jed, you need to get on this and hire a contractor and get to work. ;) This is gonna be a looooooooooong off season.

SERAPHiMxANGEL
11-17-2010, 12:52 PM
Are we going to resign Miggy?

Padres15
11-18-2010, 09:43 PM
Are we going to resign Miggy?

It would be a waste to put 5 mil into and old ss with declining range and we all got so attracted to his bat in august and september but he won't do that for a full season

dekkerbasser
11-19-2010, 09:53 AM
San Diego Padres 1B Adrian Gonzalez (shoulder) is not expected to return to game action until the end of Spring Training, which could hurt his trade value this winter, according to ESPN.com's Jayson Stark. "I think that complicates this for them (the Padres)," said one front-office man. "And it's got to be a concern for any team. They can always keep him and trade him at the deadline if they're out of it. But suppose he starts slow and then it gets even harder for them to get a real return."

joehess
11-22-2010, 10:22 PM
It would be a waste to put 5 mil into and old ss with declining range and we all got so attracted to his bat in august and september but he won't do that for a full season

As opposed to a guy who makes Khalil Greene look durable or picking a guy from a plethora of untalented nobodies?

Chiprocks1
11-24-2010, 01:28 AM
Padres offer trio arbitration, not Eckstein, Tejada (http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20101123&content_id=16187504&vkey=news_sd&c_id=sd&partnerId=rss_sd)

No surprises here. I just hope that Garland and Torrealba get confused by legal speak and forget about testing the market. :D Hopefully Correia thinks he is all that and a bag of chips and does try to test the market. I still want to see Miggy back in a Padres uniform though.

MathewsNotMatthews24
11-24-2010, 09:43 AM
Padres offer trio arbitration, not Eckstein, Tejada (http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20101123&content_id=16187504&vkey=news_sd&c_id=sd&partnerId=rss_sd)

No surprises here. I just hope that Garland and Torrealba get confused by legal speak and forget about testing the market. :D Hopefully Correia thinks he is all that and a bag of chips and does try to test the market. I still want to see Miggy back in a Padres uniform though.

i dont want correia back. i still kinda hope yorvit returns though. tejada, i would love to see him return, as i can see him being a solid producer here.

Padres15
11-24-2010, 06:53 PM
As opposed to a guy who makes Khalil Greene look durable or picking a guy from a plethora of untalented nobodies?

Id much rather have Cabrera at short and use that 5 mil toward a Gonzalez contract then have an old washed up shortstop with no range low average and declining power

MathewsNotMatthews24
11-24-2010, 07:35 PM
Id much rather have Cabrera at short and use that 5 mil toward a Gonzalez contract then have an old washed up shortstop with no range low average and declining power

There's no use putting aside money for Adrian. We're either going to trade him before the end of the '11 season or let him walk then & pick up some comp. picks. Besides, I'm still not sold on cabrera. The dude makes way too many errors and was an awful hitter this season.

Padres15
11-25-2010, 12:30 PM
There's no use putting aside money for Adrian. We're either going to trade him before the end of the '11 season or let him walk then & pick up some comp. picks. Besides, I'm still not sold on cabrera. The dude makes way too many errors and was an awful hitter this season.

Yes Cabrera was terrible last year BUT he was hurt for a lot of the year that might have have contributed to the poor year offensively, he has the potential to steal 40 50 bases, he hit 250 as a rookie after he jumped from low A to the majors, he deserves another chance and if it doesn't work then get rid of him but like you said the pads are going to trade AGon or let him walk so why not let guys like Cabrera Cunningham Maybin and Blanks all play this year so we know what we will have in 2012. If AGon goes at the deadline Ludwigh better go with him.

sdadc
11-25-2010, 01:04 PM

Oh god.. no. Please, no. Hahaha, even with Tejada on the decline he still provides veteran fiery leadership that would be missed if he leaves.. i wouldn't wanna waste the opportunity we have to make the playoffs this year by putting in Cabrera and hoping he returns to his 09 form.. He needs to stay in the minors for a while before he can start for us.. he looked HORRIBLE last year. just sayin.

Padres15
11-25-2010, 06:42 PM
I agree he was HORRIBLE!!! If we were to bring in a veteran fa for 5 mill id much rather have Orlando Hudson he would bring leadership higher batting average more speed and better defense. Just sayin.

MathewsNotMatthews24
11-26-2010, 01:19 PM
well, garland is officially gone. just signed a deal with the dodgers. no word yet on how long the deal is....

sdadc
11-26-2010, 02:01 PM
well, garland is officially gone. just signed a deal with the dodgers. no word yet on how long the deal is....

Well now that he's gone.. i never liked him.

jk, i liked him, but really though.. i didn't like his attitude. he had the temper of Mat Latos, except he's already had years and years of experience to fix it, but hasn't

Chiprocks1
11-26-2010, 02:21 PM
I think with Garland now gone, Chris Young's value just went up. I really don't like the idea of filling in the roster with to many young arms, ones that don't have a lot of experience at the MLB level. With Chris there is that leadership that we need to anchor the staff. Man, I really thought for sure that Garland would still be in a Padres uniform for the 2011 season. Ugh. Now, even more reasons to hate the Dodgers. :mad:

So, does anyone else even want CY back with the Padres? Or are you content for a big name FA signing or just filling up the rotation with young arms?

dekkerbasser
11-26-2010, 02:24 PM
I think with Garland now gone, Chris Young's value just went up. I really don't like the idea of filling in the roster with to many young arms, ones that don't have a lot of experience at the MLB level. With Chris there is that leadership that we need to anchor the staff. Man, I really thought for sure that Garland would still be in a Padres uniform for the 2011 season. Ugh. Now, even more reasons to hate the Dodgers. :mad:

So, does anyone else even want CY back with the Padres? Or are you content for a big name FA signing or just filling up the rotation with young arms?

Bummed to see Garland leave. CY should be traded.

Jay21
11-26-2010, 02:29 PM

I'd love to see him come back, but only if he signs an incentive-laden deal to protect us if (when) he gets injured again. If not him, then Brandon Webb is an interesting option for a similar deal.

The Dodgers rounded out their starting rotation today, signing Jon Garland (http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/g/garlajo01.shtml?utm_source=direct&utm_medium=linker&utm_campaign=Linker) to a one-year $5MM deal with an option for 2012. The $8MM option vests after 190 innings, a threshold Garland has reached every year since 2002 and the deal also includes bonuses.

He turned down $6.5MM from us to play for $5MM next year from the Dodgers? Those had better be some good bonuses otherwise he just hosed himself.

MathewsNotMatthews24
11-26-2010, 02:29 PM
Bummed to see Garland leave. CY should be traded.

traded? He's a FA. Anyways, I hope we re-sign CY, and then after a year pitching at Petco, it'll build up his value, and he could sign a bigger contract elsewhere, or be deadline tradebait if we're outta contention. Kinda like what garland did.

dekkerbasser
11-26-2010, 02:30 PM
traded? He's a FA. Anyways, I hope we re-sign CY, and then after a year pitching at Petco, it'll build up his value, and he could sign a bigger contract elsewhere, or be deadline tradebait if we're outta contention. Kinda like what garland did.

I should have put that I believe we will sign CY. I think I posted that a few months ago... :confused:

Padres15
11-26-2010, 06:44 PM
Don't think losing garland was to big of a lose. Actually think it is better for the team (as long a they can re sign CY).Garland had his best year last year I doubt he will repeat that and besides CY is a great pitcher when healthy just look what he did last year. Sign CY to an Incentive laden deal with an option for 2012, when he gets hurt a month into the year it's time for Mr. Castro baby!!

SERAPHiMxANGEL
11-29-2010, 12:11 PM
So are the padres going to do anything this off season?... The giants and Dodgers are going to get better and were just staying put.. kinda blows.

MathewsNotMatthews24
11-29-2010, 04:45 PM
So are the padres going to do anything this off season?... The giants and Dodgers are going to get better and were just staying put.. kinda blows.

Remember, Jed works his magic in January. We waited & waited, and then he scooped up garland & yorvit!

SERAPHiMxANGEL
11-29-2010, 04:48 PM
Yorvit to Rangers...:(

dekkerbasser
11-29-2010, 04:50 PM
Yorvit to Rangers...:(

That totally sucks!

MathewsNotMatthews24
11-29-2010, 05:03 PM
That totally sucks!

I think he didn't want to stay here and back up hundley. Seems like he wanted a full-time gig. I've heard rumors of bengie Molina possibly being our new backup...

Bolt Cola
11-29-2010, 05:08 PM
I think he didn't want to stay here and back up hundley. Seems like he wanted a full-time gig. I've heard rumors of bengie Molina possibly being our new backup...
ughh... imagine if Molina and Adrian got on base at the same time. Talk about slow as molasses.

MathewsNotMatthews24
11-29-2010, 05:32 PM
Looks like the mets are closing in on a deal with CY. Very pissed about this, really wanted to see CY back here next season!

Chiprocks1
11-29-2010, 05:59 PM
It's starting to piss me off that we are just sitting back and letting this happen. :mad:

Sayowww
11-29-2010, 06:22 PM
It's starting to piss me off that we are just sitting back and letting this happen. :mad:

Just as expected imo. I hoped they would do something, but stopped hoping because they "tried" this season and it didn't work. Hopefully I can be proven wrong that the Padres are not a "cheap" organization. I am just happy that they did very well last year and I hope they can play some quality baseball and if they make the playoffs..thats just icing on the cake.

Jay21
11-29-2010, 10:02 PM
That totally sucks!

Blessing in disguise? He just came off a career year where he more than doubled his highest WAR for a season.

Padres15
11-30-2010, 09:18 AM
Just think how good this team would be if they had an owner that would at least expand the payroll to 70 million like it was a few years back. We would have enough money to sign cliff lee and Orlando Hudson!! If ownership really wanted to win they could easily put together a great team with just a few added pieces

SERAPHiMxANGEL
11-30-2010, 07:13 PM
Miggy to giants. I give up on the padres. There never going to be winners. Screw Jed

Bolts76
11-30-2010, 07:15 PM
Padres? Nothing to see here...move along...move along....

Chiprocks1
11-30-2010, 07:26 PM
It seems like the only way the Dodgers and Giants can beat the Padres is by cherry picking our team piece by piece during the off season, because neither team could beat us during the season.

This blows and now I have nothing but hate for Jed Hoyer. In my eyes, he's on par with Tom Werner now. :mad:

dekkerbasser
11-30-2010, 07:29 PM
Jed might make a good move.

But then again, I am a homer.

SERAPHiMxANGEL
11-30-2010, 07:41 PM
Were so screewed. Trade ludwick while were at it.

dekkerbasser
11-30-2010, 07:42 PM

Rebuild a team that didnt make the PO's just barely?! 2nd... 2nd...

Chiprocks1
11-30-2010, 08:13 PM

LOL That made me laugh. Your implying that someone else is dumb enough to accept a trade.

SERAPHiMxANGEL
11-30-2010, 09:28 PM
Rebuild a team that didnt make the PO's just barely?! 2nd... 2nd...

Well we are probably going to trade A-gon by the deadline any way. So might as well trade this guy. Theres no way we get to the playoffs with Ludwick and Adrian from what Ryan showed us last year. And i dont see Jed making any moves.

Chiprocks1
11-30-2010, 11:33 PM
Priorities first! I sure hope that we have Dick Enberg under lock and key for this upcoming season. If not, the Padres may never win another game. Ever.

JCDavey
11-30-2010, 11:38 PM
change their name to the san diego cheapies

Jay21
12-01-2010, 12:34 AM
Hello Jason Bartlett?

sdadc
12-01-2010, 01:41 AM
This offseason is a FAIL so far. If the chargers move to LA, THIS is what we have to deal with? For god sakes, we don't have a middle of the infield!!

Chiprocks1
12-01-2010, 09:13 AM
we don't have a middle of the infield!!

Or a General Manager.

sdadc
12-01-2010, 09:42 AM
Ah think about our team up the middle of the baseball field:

C: Hundley, SS:? 2B:? CF:Maybin

come on! DO SOMETHING!

sdadc
12-01-2010, 01:03 PM
http://sandiego.padres.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20101201&content_id=16235842&vkey=news_sd&c_id=sd

Chris Denorfia is coming back for 800k. NICE! Can't wait to see what he does over a full season.

SERAPHiMxANGEL
12-01-2010, 05:05 PM
Woo Denorfia. were going to the world series book it! Anyways it doesnt matter LA Doyers are gonna take the Division there putting together a good team.

MathewsNotMatthews24
12-01-2010, 05:18 PM
http://www.nctimes.com/sports/baseball/professional/mlb/padres/article_a62816d8-57e2-5323-b7c6-7754268efc4c.html

TGJ is gone! IM GLAD TO SEE THAT WE SIGNED THE ITALLION STALLION! I WOULD LIKE TO SEE HIM & CUNNINGHAM SEE MORE STARTS...

SERAPHiMxANGEL
12-01-2010, 05:53 PM
I HOPE we get rid of Scott Hariston.

dekkerbasser
12-01-2010, 05:55 PM
I HOPE we get rid of Scott Hariston.

That would make far too much sense. ;)

Bolt Cola
12-01-2010, 05:57 PM
That would make far too much sense. ;)
him and Gwynn Jr. were both non tendered today

http://sandiego.padres.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20101201&content_id=16236878&vkey=news_sd&c_id=sd

Padres15
12-01-2010, 08:13 PM
him and Gwynn Jr. were both non tendered today

http://sandiego.padres.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20101201&content_id=16236878&vkey=news_sd&c_id=sd

WIth the luck of the padres gwynn will go to a different team and het 300 steal 30 bases and be the leadoff hitter. Exactly what we needed last year.

I am not saying that I think he has the ability to do it but that is just the luck of the friars

Chiprocks1
12-03-2010, 04:31 PM
Anyone else think that Jed Hoyer and company are purposely sabotaging the Padres by allowing other teams to take our "above average" players all for the purpose of making it easier to trade A-Gon now? It's like they are saying "let's head off any chance of contending before it even starts" right out of the equation, because we all know the 2010 Padres f----- up Jed's plans last season.

MathewsNotMatthews24
12-03-2010, 05:42 PM
Looks like we've signed hometown guy aaron harang to a deal, pending a physical. The man gas sucked the past few years (pitches at GABP-hitter park) so maybe petco will rejuvenate him. Also, according to many rumor sites, adrian Gonzalez---> boston talks have heated up. I'd like to see ellsbury or bucholz come here if a deal is done...

SERAPHiMxANGEL
12-03-2010, 05:51 PM
Ill take Elsbury or Buccholz any day. Im over this Adrian thing. Are there any 1B FA?

sdadc
12-03-2010, 05:54 PM
Looks like we've signed hometown guy aaron harang to a deal, pending a physical. The man gas sucked the past few years (pitches at GABP-hitter park) so maybe petco will rejuvenate him. Also, according to many rumor sites, adrian Gonzalez---> boston talks have heated up. I'd like to see ellsbury or bucholz come here if a deal is done...

Adrian + Thatcher --> Ellsbury, Buccholz, Lowrie

Rivers4MVP
12-03-2010, 06:13 PM
if you guys think buchholz is coming to SD you are sorely mistaken, he was one of the frontrunners for cy young last year, he is already one of the best pitchers in baseball, the red sox said they are only giving up minor league talent, but i like the trade, adrian serves no purpose in keeping

Padres15
12-03-2010, 08:01 PM
if you guys think buchholz is coming to SD you are sorely mistaken, he was one of the frontrunners for cy young last year, he is already one of the best pitchers in baseball, the red sox said they are only giving up minor league talent, but i like the trade, adrian serves no purpose in keeping

Could not agree with you more. These trades that include elsbury and buchholtz are never going to happen and why would we even want ellsbury?

Theres no reason we should keep gonzo around; we can't win with him and we can't resign him.

Don't no what players would be included in the trade but I think Jed is definatley going to get us Iglesias seeing how we have Noo shortstops in the system other than Cabrera. Hopefulley We can get Iglesias and Kelly with a couple more players

MathewsNotMatthews24
12-03-2010, 08:01 PM

Now they are saying bell could be involved in a Gonzalez trade to Boston. The thing that bothers me though is that people are reporting that the sox are only giving up prospects for those 2. Heck, if I'm giving up a top closer and a top 1st basemen, I better be getting bucholz outta it!

Padres15
12-03-2010, 08:03 PM
I also think harang is a great signing for this team had a rough few years but he has fought through injuries but a few years back he finished 4th in CY voting and posted great #s Petco along with great defense should boost his stats a lot now let's hope he can stay healthy and pitch to his ability.

Padres15
12-03-2010, 08:05 PM
Now they are saying bell could be involved in a Gonzalez trade to Boston. The thing that bothers me though is that people are reporting that the sox are only giving up prospects for those 2. Heck, if I'm giving up a top closer and a top 1st basemen, I better be getting bucholz outta it!

I'd rather get 2 TOP prospects then get a pile of draft picks...especially because the pads aren't known for drafting any superstars.

ScootMagroot
12-03-2010, 08:23 PM
you dont get draft picks in baseball trades. Adrian is gonna be gone.....good. His numbers will drop in Boston. Dont let the door hit you on the way out. I dont like the thought of Bell being gone, but the Sox are said to not be tendering Papelbon, so thats why Bell would be involved. IF it were for Bell and Gonzalez, they would have to include a major leaguer I would think.

SERAPHiMxANGEL
12-03-2010, 08:38 PM
Firesale is about to go down in sd guys..brace your self

MathewsNotMatthews24
12-03-2010, 08:43 PM
you dont get draft picks in baseball trades. Adrian is gonna be gone.....good. His numbers will drop in Boston. Dont let the door hit you on the way out. I dont like the thought of Bell being gone, but the Sox are said to not be tendering Papelbon, so thats why Bell would be involved. IF it were for Bell and Gonzalez, they would have to include a major leaguer I would think.

I think he was talking about the comp. picks we would get if we let him walk after next season. The sox also were in on mo, so they are in the market for a closer. But it's not Adrians decision, guys, as adrian said, its all in gods hands ;)

Padres15
12-03-2010, 09:09 PM

First of all stick with football you obviously don't no baseball, im saying they would get two compensation picks when Adrian walks in free agency

Second don't bag on Adrian because he is leaving his numbers are definatley not going down they will go waaay up. Like MVP up. You just mad because he is leaving, the thing I don't get is why everyone is getting so mad about trade Adrian and Heath? You would rather let them walk and get nothing in return except picks?

Can't wait to see Iglesias mannen short stop for us;)

ScootMagroot
12-03-2010, 09:17 PM
I'd rather get 2 TOP prospects then get a pile of draft picks...especially because the pads aren't known for drafting any superstars.

Actually....I guarantee I've forgotten more about baseball than I know about football, and you know about baseball.

Nowhere in your post does it talk about comps, so I thought you were talking trading for drafts (maybe you should clarify your posts)

And as for your thoughts on MVP numbers....explain that. Adrian is a opposite field power hitter. He hits wall scraping line drives in Petco....NONE of which would get out in Boston. He rarely pulls balls in Petco...SOME might leave in Fenway, but thats a small % of his HRs. He will have A TON of singles off the monster. He's also the 2nd slowest player in the game so those balls that leave Petco to CF will only be doubles if hes lucky in Fenway. He will not have MVP numbers. I want him to leave, I'm not mad about it at all.

Give me your rebuttal....I'll be waiting

Jay21
12-03-2010, 09:33 PM
Ill take Elsbury or Buccholz any day. Im over this Adrian thing. Are there any 1B FA?

It looks like there's more FA starters at 1B than there are teams who need them. Some of the options out there:

Lance Berkman
Adam LaRoche
Derrek Lee
Carlos Pena

Pena's likely to be the greatest value out of those. His numbers look bad, but he's been hitting really well at Tropicana (which is not hitter-friendly) and under .200 on the road. Unless there's some hidden reason for that, he's due for a huge rebound year playing on a cheap one-year deal (like Aubrey Huff was for the Giants). But he's mostly a pull hitter, and compared to Tropicana (HR factor of 89), Petco (HR factor of 59) will kill his power. The Cubs need a first baseman this year, and have the money to go after Pujols and Fielder next year, so that makes the most sense on both sides. Wrigley's friendly to lefties (HR factor of 119), so he'll probably go there to up his value.

I think Berkman's the best option out there for the Padres. If Blanks comes back in the middle of the season, it doesn't force Berkman's and his injury-prone knees to the outfield. Unlike Pena, he tends to go opposite field on his HRs, so he'd still give us a lefty power threat who can hit it to the friendliest part of Petco (righties HR factor of 95). And he's already shown that he can hit really well here too over his career (.338/.446/.766 in Petco) and even as he's gotten older (.295/.404/.659 over the last three years in Petco). If Adrian's dealt, he might not be available though. The A's and Rockies are pursuing him, and he's asking for $8-10M next year.

Padres15
12-03-2010, 10:33 PM
Actually....I guarantee I've forgotten more about baseball than I know about football, and you know about baseball.

Nowhere in your post does it talk about comps, so I thought you were talking trading for drafts (maybe you should clarify your posts)

And as for your thoughts on MVP numbers....explain that. Adrian is a opposite field power hitter. He hits wall scraping line drives in Petco....NONE of which would get out in Boston. He rarely pulls balls in Petco...SOME might leave in Fenway, but thats a small % of his HRs. He will have A TON of singles off the monster. He's also the 2nd slowest player in the game so those balls that leave Petco to CF will only be doubles if hes lucky in Fenway. He will not have MVP numbers. I want him to leave, I'm not mad about it at all.

Give me your rebuttal....I'll be waiting

About that MVP, I am not strictly talking home runs here but to start yeah he hits line drives out of Petco yeah yeah but last I checked Fenway is not near as Petco and it's not in San Diego?? Ball will travel a lot further AND the. Feild is smaller? By the way instead of playing away games dodger stadium and at the giants huge ball park he will be playing at New York Tampa Bay Baltimore Toronto...all jitters parks compared to petco

Let's see he will have men on base in front of him so expect 130 RBI ellsbury and pedroia are a hell of a lot better then the pads 1 2 hitters

This year he finished 4th in MVP voting. his HR totals and RBI totals will both go up can gaurantee it as a result he will make a strong run at MVP

Padres15
12-03-2010, 10:38 PM
It looks like there's more FA starters at 1B than there are teams who need them. Some of the options out there:

Lance Berkman
Adam LaRoche
Derrek Lee
Carlos Pena

Pena's likely to be the greatest value out of those. His numbers look bad, but he's been hitting really well at Tropicana (which is not hitter-friendly) and under .200 on the road. Unless there's some hidden reason for that, he's due for a huge rebound year playing on a cheap one-year deal (like Aubrey Huff was for the Giants). But he's mostly a pull hitter, and compared to Tropicana (HR factor of 89), Petco (HR factor of 59) will kill his power. The Cubs need a first baseman this year, and have the money to go after Pujols and Fielder next year, so that makes the most sense on both sides. Wrigley's friendly to lefties (HR factor of 119), so he'll probably go there to up his value.

I think Berkman's the best option out there for the Padres. If Blanks comes back in the middle of the season, it doesn't force Berkman's and his injury-prone knees to the outfield. Unlike Pena, he tends to go opposite field on his HRs, so he'd still give us a lefty power threat who can hit it to the friendliest part of Petco (righties HR factor of 95). And he's already shown that he can hit really well here too over his career (.338/.446/.766 in Petco) and even as he's gotten older (.295/.404/.659 over the last three years in Petco). If Adrian's dealt, he might not be available though. The A's and Rockies are pursuing him, and he's asking for $8-10M next year.

See what your saying but I would have to think the padres have interst in Reynolds because that's who they would put at 1st and still have the power hitting middle of the lineup bat, if they trade Gonzalez I wouldn't be suprised to see them trade for Reynolds as a replacement instead of signing an aging vet such as lee or berk. I just don't see why else they would have interest in reynolds other then that reason.

Anybody think something like that is a possibility??

ScootMagroot
12-03-2010, 11:13 PM
Thats quite possibly the WORST argument I have ever seen......btw, heres the dimensions of Fenway:

http://www.bostonspastime.com/dimensions.gif

Those line drives will not get over the shorter distance, but huge wall in left, and unless he hits Pesky's pole....he rarely pulls homeruns 380ft unless they are in the game. 420 to center with a 20ft wall? Hes not doing that either. True Yankee stadium is a hitter park, Toronto, Tampa Bay, and Baltimore are more hitter friendly than Petco....what stadium isnt? If Ellsbury and Pedroia can stay healthy..they will be on a lot....for Youkilis or the to drive in. Singles won't drive in runs, and he will hit a lot of singles. Its gonna happen, so I won't say anymore on the subject until the proof is shown.

ScootMagroot
12-03-2010, 11:13 PM
See what your saying but I would have to think the padres have interst in Reynolds because that's who they would put at 1st and still have the power hitting middle of the lineup bat, if they trade Gonzalez I wouldn't be suprised to see them trade for Reynolds as a replacement instead of signing an aging vet such as lee or berk. I just don't see why else they would have interest in reynolds other then that reason.

And what Reynolds are you talking about?

Bolt Cola
12-04-2010, 12:40 AM
And what Reynolds are you talking about?
Mark "strikeout machine" Reynolds??? god i hope not

Jay21
12-04-2010, 01:00 AM

It's possible. But, trading for Mark Reynolds, who's under contract through 2012 with a $11M option for 2013, means Kyle Blanks is stuck in the outfield. If the Padres are okay with that, I could see Reynolds being a possibility. Looking at his career away and @Petco numbers averaged over 162 games, it appears that he's capable of 35-40 HRs a year even while playing here. I'd imagine that would be a key factor in the Padres having any interest in him since outside of hitting HRs, he doesn't really have anything going for him. It's interesting. I can see why the Padres would at least have shown some interest in that scenario... dunno if it's serious though. It's probably more to gauge what Towers would want in a trade. It would have to be little enough to justify not just giving Blanks the 1B job when he's ready to play again. Blanks isn't expected to be ready to play again until the middle of the season, and even then might need some time in AAA until he gets back to full strength. That's why a one-year deal to a vet would make sense. If Adrian's gone, we need someone better than Oscar Salazar to play 1B this year. But, we wouldn't need that player to stick around in 2012 and beyond....

ScootMagroot
12-04-2010, 07:31 AM
They aren't gonna spend 11 mil on someone like him when they are trying to dump salary. That makes no sense, and it would never happen. Their talking not being able to financially keep Gonzalez, Bell and Ludwick because that makes up just under 20 mil. Why would they get rid of Adrian only to get a 3rd baseman which will make twice what Adrian is making? And a trade with Towers? Get real.

MathewsNotMatthews24
12-04-2010, 08:10 AM
well, adrian is now in boston. i think theyre trying to work on an extension with him. some of the names that have shown up are reymond fuentes, casey kelly, anthony rizzo, & ryan kalish. but there is still no confirmation on who...

SERAPHiMxANGEL
12-04-2010, 08:19 AM
The day has finally come....

MathewsNotMatthews24
12-04-2010, 08:27 AM
The day has finally come....

ya, it was inevitable. now theyre saying its adrian gonzalez for casey kelly, anthony rizzo, & reymond fuentes (cousin of carlos beltran)

SERAPHiMxANGEL
12-04-2010, 08:31 AM
Ew. Dang I really wanted jacoby. Oh well. So does this mean we are going to sign more fa's?

MathewsNotMatthews24
12-04-2010, 08:39 AM
darn, looks like hoyer is now trying to trade bell as well. possibilities: white sox, angels, rangers, marlins, cardinals, blue jays, rays

angels-peter bourjors?
cardinals-colby rasmus anyone?

Chiprocks1
12-04-2010, 09:10 AM
Oh well. See you guys in 2012.

MathewsNotMatthews24
12-04-2010, 09:25 AM
ya, it was inevitable. now theyre saying its adrian gonzalez for casey kelly, anthony rizzo, & reymond fuentes (cousin of carlos beltran)

now its adrian gonzalez for anthony rizzo, reymond fuentes, casey kelly, & a PTBNL

joehess
12-04-2010, 09:44 AM
I think its absurd we did not receive one big league player for Adrian. Well done by Theo bent the youngin over his knee and gave it to him. Hope these "Prospects" work out. When I was young I remember trading Mc Griff for prospects and the best of the lot was Melvin Nieves.... yeah exactly.

If Bell is traded I hope it is to the ANgels and that Hank COnger comes our way. We need a catcher for the future. Hundleys below average bat isn't going to cut it.

MathewsNotMatthews24
12-04-2010, 09:47 AM
I think its absurd we did not receive one big league player for Adrian. Well done by Theo bent the youngin over his knee and gave it to him. Hope these "Prospects" work out. When I was young I remember trading Mc Griff for prospects and the best of the lot was Melvin Nieves.... yeah exactly.

If Bell is traded I hope it is to the ANgels and that Hank COnger comes our way. We need a catcher for the future. Hundleys below average bat isn't going to cut it.

Conger! That's the other angels guy I was thinking of!

Padres15
12-04-2010, 10:07 AM
I really can't believe Jed would make this trade without getting Iglesias SS is our biggest need!! Anthony rizzo's minor league #s aren't even that good but he is going to make it in the show??

Padres15
12-04-2010, 10:09 AM
darn, looks like hoyer is now trying to trade bell as well. possibilities: white sox, angels, rangers, marlins, cardinals, blue jays, rays

angels-peter bourjors?

Prey but no way Rasmus would be traded for bell that is a terrible trade for the cardinals, no chance

SERAPHiMxANGEL
12-04-2010, 10:31 AM
Oh well. See you guys in 2012.

Pretty much. were done. Probably gonna be the worst team in baseball sad really.

MathewsNotMatthews24
12-04-2010, 10:31 AM
Prey but no way Rasmus would be traded for bell that is a terrible trade for the cardinals, no chance

Prey? Anyways, I know a straight up bell-for-rasmus won't work, we'd need to add some prospects. The cards need some bullpen help, and rasmus isn't in love with st louis or Tony larussa. If it's such a bad trade, I'd like to see your possible destinations/proposals for bell.

Chiprocks1
12-04-2010, 10:36 AM
Pretty much. were done. Probably gonna be the worst team in baseball sad really.

But Petco Park will become quite festive as more and more people will be drunk, stumbling around, trying to forget this off-season. I fully expect to see Bolt Cola in the drunk tank at least a minimum of 10 times this season. :D

SERAPHiMxANGEL
12-04-2010, 10:39 AM
But Petco Park will become quite festive as more and more people will be drunk, stumbling around, trying to forget this off-season. I fully expect to see Bolt Cola in the drunk tank at least a minimum of 10 times this season. :D

There wont be anyone in that Park... When we had Adrian barely any one showed up.. Now think about it without him.

JammerHammer23
12-04-2010, 10:43 AM
Ew. Dang I really wanted jacoby. Oh well. So does this mean we are going to sign more fa's?

Jacoby Elsbury sucks. Why would you want him?

JammerHammer23
12-04-2010, 10:44 AM

angels-peter bourjors?

You weren't being serious right? That's a joke.

And thanks for giving the Sox A Gon. :mad:

SERAPHiMxANGEL
12-04-2010, 10:44 AM
Jacoby Elsbury sucks. Why would you want him?

Have you seen our OF?... Anything is better then what we have. Maybin is alright.

MathewsNotMatthews24
12-04-2010, 10:49 AM
You weren't being serious right? That's a joke.

And thanks for giving the Sox A Gon. :mad:

What do you mean?

JammerHammer23
12-04-2010, 10:50 AM
Have you seen our OF?... Anything is better then what we have. Maybin is alright.

If you need an OFer, I'm sure we could give you Gardner for Latos...... ;)

Padres15
12-04-2010, 11:34 AM
If you need an OFer, I'm sure we could give you Gardner for Latos...... ;)

Ha yeah Jed needs to hop on that move before that offer is taken off the table

JammerHammer23
12-04-2010, 11:47 AM
What do you mean?

Rasmus for Bell isn't close to fair at all. Period. Bell is 33. Rasmus is 24 and one of the best young OFers in the game.

JammerHammer23
12-04-2010, 11:48 AM
Ha yeah Jed needs to hop on that move before that offer is taken off the table

We'll throw in Burnett if you want...........

Padres15
12-04-2010, 11:48 AM
My question is why didn't we get Jose Iglesias we desperately need a SS we have NONE in the minors and we don't need Anthony rizzo a 1b who hits 260 in AA.. Mike Baxter hit better then that inAAA last year! I just don't understand what Jed was think when he first get iglesias

MathewsNotMatthews24
12-04-2010, 11:52 AM
My question is why didn't we get Jose Iglesias we desperately need a SS we have NONE in the minors and we don't need Anthony rizzo a 1b who hits 260 in AA.. Mike Baxter hit better then that inAAA last year! I just don't understand what Jed was think when he first get iglesias

Agreed. I thought jeds priority was SS. I wouldve loved to get Iglesias. Right now, it looks like everth cabrera will be our opening day starting SS! Yipee! Either cabrera, or we could sign one of these "tempting" FA SSs:
Orlando cabrera, Craig counsell, Bobby Crosby, Adam Everett, or Julio lugo.

SERAPHiMxANGEL
12-04-2010, 01:22 PM
Who is going to be our 2nd baseman as well?

Jay21
12-04-2010, 01:27 PM

Drew Cumberland?

Padres15
12-04-2010, 01:32 PM
Drew Cumberland?

All the scouts say drew cumberland is a major league SS he is more of a 2b, he's a great player but is also hurt alot.

Major league starting SS are hard to come by and we already have many guys we can put a first base. Just don't get that part of the trade but the other two players are gelreat prices;)

Jay21
12-04-2010, 01:35 PM

Yes on Conger :)

If the Nats can get someone's top prospect (a catcher, don't remember his name though) for Matt freakin Capps, we had better be able to land Conger... if not more!

Jay21
12-04-2010, 01:51 PM
All the scouts say drew cumberland is a major league SS he is more of a 2b, he's a great player but is also hurt alot.

Major league starting SS are hard to come by and we already have many guys we can put a first base. Just don't get that part of the trade but the other two players are gelreat prices;)

Gotcha. I agree with you. There will probably be a lot of analysts saying that we wanted a 1B in return, but it doesn't make sense. Hoyer must have asked for Iglesias in return. But, with Marco Scutaro being 35, the Red Sox probably said no, that they want to keep him but can part with Rizzo. At the very least, he becomes a trade chip.

Padres15
12-04-2010, 01:51 PM
Conger would be great! We need a shortstop more than a catcher though

sdadc
12-04-2010, 02:23 PM
wow i just found out. jed hoyer fail. why don't we turn the padres into a football team and give them to LA so that the chargers can stay.

sdadc
12-04-2010, 02:26 PM
BTW, anyone know how this wil affect our salary next year? This better necessarily mean we sign someone like crawford. I don't want the offensive face of our franchise to be.. Ryan Ludwick.

SERAPHiMxANGEL
12-04-2010, 03:27 PM
Right if the chargers move to LA. SD is going to be stuck with the dreadfull padres. Padres dont deserve a new stadium. Chargers should have gotten one!

sdadc
12-04-2010, 03:31 PM
Man if the voters of San Diego had access to a newspaper from today's date back then.. the Chargers may already be playing in a new stadium to stay in san diego.

Jay21
12-04-2010, 06:26 PM
BTW, anyone know how this wil affect our salary next year? This better necessarily mean we sign someone like crawford. I don't want the offensive face of our franchise to be.. Ryan Ludwick.

Here's what salary looks like so far, just estimates though:

Everyone who doesn't have a $ figure next to them is still pre-arb and is somewhere around $420k each.

1B:
2B:
SS: Cabrera
3B: Headley ($2.0M, super-2 arbitration)
LF: Ludwick ($7.0M, 3rd-year arbitration)
CF: Maybin
RF: Venable
C: Hundley

Bench:
C:
UT: Salazar
UT:
OF: Cunningham
OF: Denorfia ($800k, contract)

SP: Latos
SP: Richard
SP: Harang ($3M, contract)
SP: Stauffer ($1M, 1st-year arbitration)
SP: LeBlanc/Luebke

CL: Bell ($6.5M, 3rd-year arbitration)
ST: Adams ($1.1M, contract)
RP: Gregerson
RP: Frieri
RP: Thatcher
RP:
RP: LeBlanc/Luebke

total: pre-arb (13x$420k = $5.5M), arb-yr-contracts ($800k+$1M+$1.1M = $2.9M), Headley ($2.0M), Ludwick ($7.0M), Harang ($3M), Bell ($6.5M)

plus: buyout amounts paid to Garland and Torrealba ($800k)

TOTAL: $27.7M

Good things:
+ there still about $15-17M to spend
+ the rotation is set
+ a decent middle reliever can be found in AAA/Rule 5 draft/off the street for next to nothing
+ we're looking at getting 3 picks in the supplemental round for losing Garland, Torrealba, and (soon) Correia

Bad things:
- that lineup is really depressing looking
- Ludwick is the offensive face of the franchise
- we don't have an infield
- Cabrera needs to be sent to AAA...
- ...which means we need a 2B and a SS
- payroll will probably be kept to a bare minimum so that we have the money to sign two first round picks and three supplemental round picks in the coming draft
- does that really change anything, though? seems like what we were already expecting

Some observations/predictions:

The Adrian trade makes it more difficult to trade Ludwick. Teams have to realize more than ever that moving him is purely a salary dump, and would not offer anything good in return. So, we might as well get used to it. And, hey, the guy has nowhere to go but up, right?

The best shot at shedding salary is by moving Heath Bell. But, it's been rumored that Bell is a candidate for a contract extension from the Padres. And, it's also rumored that his highest trade value would be at the July trade deadline.

The offense looks depressing. There's no way around it, and Hoyer has to be aware that the only chance the Padres have at being competitive in 2011 is through superior pitching and defense. With that said, don't be disappointed when the Padres trade for...

SS: Brendan Ryan ($1.2M, 1st-year arbitration)

...from the Cards. He's not going to win fans over with his bat. But, he's one of the best defensive shortstops in the league right now. The Cards trading for Theriot makes him expendable, and a great bargain for teams too cheap to pay (in trade and $$$) for Bartlett or Hardy. For a team that values WAR over BA, there's your guy.

2B: Orlando Hudson ($4.5M, three-year deal)

Again, with the focus on defense. With Antonelli busting, the Padres' farm system is lacking any real options at 2B for at least two years. Eckstein was a great value stopgap, but looks to be retiring. I think Hudson is a reasonable possibility, and a much-needed veteran presence on the team, but only if the Padres offer him something that other teams have not: job security. For someone as consistent as he has been, it's suprising that he's been bounced from team to team. If the Padres can get him on a three-year deal for $5M/yr average, it stops the revolving door for a while on both sides.

1B: Nick Johnson ($3M, one-year deal)

The most recent rehab update on Kyle Blanks has him at 75% for spring training, though that's probably being optimistic. It's likely that Kyle Blanks misses part of the season, it's only a question of how much. And, given his struggles at the beginning of last year, would he benefit from extended rehab in AAA? Although it would be nice to land one of the top FA 1B as a stop-gap, I'd imagine the Padres would look at the $8M price tag on Berkman and figure that to be too much to spend on someone like Lee who might not have to play 1B all season. Behind him, the two best options (for power) are Pena and LaRoche, lefty pull hitters who would not fare well at Petco.

I'm projecting Blanks to miss significant time, so I'm going ahead and predicting a Nick Johnson signing. Though he isn't a defensive stud, he does something very well: OBP. Remember the offense before the 10-game losing streak? It was effective (actually above-average if you consider park factors) in large part because the players were patient, made pitchers work for every out, and were not afraid to walk instead of swinging for the fences. Even if Johnson isn't starting every day, it's having the mentality on the team that's important. And, with his recent injury struggles, Johnson can reasonably expected to be within the Padres' price range. Unlike Pena, he's not a player whose offensive numbers should change much because of Petco, so coming here over somewhere else should not be a deterrent.

C: Bengie Molina ($2M, one-year deal)

I'm not entirely sure why, but this one just seems inevitable. Looking at the market out there, we could do a lot worse than a Hundley/Bengie platoon. Miguel Olivo is an attractive option with strong defensive credentials, but it depends on how serious the Padres are when they say that Hundley is taking over as the primary catcher.

UT: Jerry Hairston Jr. ($2.5M, one-year deal)

There's a lot of other names that could fit this role, but there has been talks that JHJ really wants to come back to the Padres next season. And, the feeling seems to be mutual... to what extent is unknown. It would be pretty awkward though if he comes back and not Scott.

RP: J.P. Howell ($1M, one-year deal)

I don't this signing is actually that likely, but the Padres have made it clear that they are the top place for injured/declining pitchers to rejuvenate their careers. We've been doing it with starters in the past few years (Prior, Garland, Harang, even picking up CY's $6.25M option this last year), so why not relievers? I don't think you could pick a better spot to shine. Seriously, we even turned Linebrink and Mujica into players other teams actually wanted!

Howell didn't play at all last year, but was an elite reliever in 2008 and 2009. It's not expected that he will be ready to play again until May-July, so a flip at the trade deadline isn't likely. But, since he was used as a starter in 2005-07, he gained little MLB service time... and still has two arbitration years left (including 2011). So, if he performs well, and the Padres want to move him later, it's still an option. Additionally, while here, he provides something the Padres are lacking: a quality LHP who isn't named Joe Thatcher. Not being one injury away from an all-righty bullpen seems important to me, maybe not so much to Black/Hoyer, but it's an extra reason to consider him. If he doesn't pan out (or before he's healthy again), there's guys like Russell, Perdomo, even the AAA starters who can handle middle relief. And if he does... we basically have an entire bullpen of legit setup men and/or closers. How ridiculously awesome is that prospect?

Total: $42M, seems about right what we should expect

Jay21
12-04-2010, 06:40 PM
Not sure what this means exactly, but saw it out there in regard to the Adrian trade. If the interpretation is correct, it means the PTBNL cannot be someone the Sox drafted this year because there's a one year window where draftees can't be traded.

http://sonsofsamhorn.net/wiki/index.php/MLB_Rules_and_Procedures#Player_to_be_Named_Later

In many trades, one or both of the teams may agree to send "a player to be named later". A specific player must be agreed upon within six months of the initial trade; if this does not occur, the two teams may agree upon a cash amount to be sent instead. Often, the teams will agree to a list of players who can be used as the PTBNL; such an agreement would happen before the trade has been announced, and once the trade is final, the team receiving the PTBNL may take any of the players from the list within six months.

MathewsNotMatthews24
12-04-2010, 07:16 PM
Not sure what this means exactly, but saw it out there in regard to the Adrian trade. If the interpretation is correct, it means the PTBNL cannot be someone the Sox drafted this year because there's a one year window where draftees can't be traded.

http://sonsofsamhorn.net/wiki/index.php/MLB_Rules_and_Procedures#Player_to_be_Named_Later

Ya, a lot of speculation was around 2010 1st rounder kolbrin vitek, whom
the padres considered drafting this year...I'm hoping for someone like ryan westmoreland or Anthony raunudo...

sdadc
12-04-2010, 07:33 PM
Ya, a lot of speculation was around 2010 1st rounder kolbrin vitek, whom
the padres considered drafting this year...I'm hoping for someone like ryan westmoreland or Anthony raunudo...

I'm still hoping for Jed Lowrie.. although they already confirmed the PTBNL is a minor leaguer huh?

MathewsNotMatthews24
12-04-2010, 08:18 PM
Jay21-nice analysis, Nick Johnson might be a good short term solution. BTW-harangs deal is for about 3 mil, so you cann add that to your calculations...

Padres15
12-04-2010, 08:22 PM
I'm still hoping for Jed Lowrie.. although they already confirmed the PTBNL is a minor leaguer huh?

Why lowrie the plans obviously are not to win this season it's for 2013 14 why not get another 22 year old prospect for when castro Kelly maybin Rizzo Fuentes and Cumberland all come up and contribute at the show

MathewsNotMatthews24
12-04-2010, 08:41 PM
A friend of mine over on Twitter posted a list of probable 1st baseman choices:

Russell Branyan (35)
Jorge Cantu (29)
Troy Glaus (34)
Nick Johnson (32)
Casey Kotchman (28)
Adam LaRoche (31) - Type B, offered arb
Derrek Lee (35) - Type A, not offered arb
Xavier Nady (32)
Lyle Overbay (34)
Ty Wigginton (33)
Jason Giambi
Hank Blalock
Hell, let's put mike Baxter at 1st

Jay21
12-04-2010, 08:57 PM
Jay21-nice analysis, Nick Johnson might be a good short term solution. BTW-harangs deal is for about 3 mil, so you cann add that to your calculations...

Thanks, added that in :)

Padres15
12-04-2010, 09:27 PM
A friend of mine over on Twitter posted a list of probable 1st baseman choices:

Russell Branyan (35)
Jorge Cantu (29)
Troy Glaus (34)
Nick Johnson (32)
Casey Kotchman (28)
Adam LaRoche (31) - Type B, offered arb
Derrek Lee (35) - Type A, not offered arb
Xavier Nady (32)
Lyle Overbay (34)
Ty Wigginton (33)
Jason Giambi
Hank Blalock
Hell, let's put mike Baxter at 1st

Kinda like LaRoche he would be the best option available but yeah I have no problem with Baxter at first he had a great year inAAA last year.

sdadc
12-05-2010, 01:41 PM
Lol i guess we get to keep Adrian for now..

http://sandiego.padres.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20101205&content_id=16258248&vkey=news_sd&c_id=sd

anyone think Adrian just wanted to stay?

Chiprocks1
12-05-2010, 02:55 PM

http://sandiego.padres.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20101205&content_id=16258248&vkey=news_sd&c_id=sd

I think A-Gon realized that the trade was one sided for the BoSox and totally unfair to the Padres. So A-Gon took one for the team so that we can work out something better suited for the Friars. Even injured and in the off season, he comes through big time for us. :Cheers: This is how I will choose to remember him by, even if this story was totally fabricated by me. :D

Jay21
12-05-2010, 03:15 PM

It's nice to have him back, but this part bugs me:

But that doesn't mean the Red Sox and Padres won't rekindle the talks and try to get another variation of the deal done, perhaps with a different combination of prospects or Major League players going back to San Diego. Under that scenario, the Red Sox would acquire Gonzalez without an extension in hopes that they could work that out down the road.

The way I'm reading that is that unless another team (the Angels?) steps in and offers a comparable trade package, the Padres aren't getting a return as good as that offer again.

MathewsNotMatthews24
12-05-2010, 03:15 PM
Wow. Adrian turned down a lot if money! I think he either stays here or gets traded (as a rental) so that next offseason, there will be a nice bidding war taking place.

Chiprocks1
12-05-2010, 03:17 PM
Wow. Adrian turned down a lot if money! I think he either stays here or gets traded (as a rental) so that next offseason, there will be a nice bidding war taking place.

I stay we win it all with A-Gon in the line up and then give him a stake in the ownership of the Padres to stay. :D Granted....after he retires of course. ;)

Jay21
12-05-2010, 03:31 PM
I can't blame Adrian for thinking wanting a Texeira contract in this market. Not after...

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=5888329

Right fielder Jayson Werth (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/players/profile?playerId=4262) has agreed to a $126 million, seven-year contract with the Washington Nationals (http://espn.go.com/mlb/team/_/name/wsh/washington-nationals).

lol

If the Sox won't give Adrian the 8 years he wants, someone will. I don't think the prospect of trading him this offseason is anywhere near over.

Padres15
12-05-2010, 06:33 PM
I think A-Gon realized that the trade was one sided for the BoSox and totally unfair to the Padres. So A-Gon took one for the team so that we can work out something better suited for the Friars. Even injured and in the off season, he comes through big time for us. :Cheers: This is how I will choose to remember him by, even if this story was totally fabricated by me. :D

This isn't helping the pads, now if a trade were To go down the package probably won't be as good because of the uncertainty of him signing an extension.(personally I didn't think they were getting much in return anyways so I hope it doesn't go through)

Jay21
12-05-2010, 06:36 PM
http://twitter.com/si_jonheyman

Deal is done. A gon headed to #redsox (http://twitter.com/search?q=%23redsox). Press conf expected tomorrow about 1 hour ago (http://twitter.com/SI_JonHeyman/status/11582734577172480) via web

Hearing #redsox (http://twitter.com/search?q=%23redsox) satisfied a multiyear deal can be arranged w a-gon. have common ground on parameters. No extension will be announced now. 27 minutes ago (http://twitter.com/SI_JonHeyman/status/11587518281551873) via web

Appears #redsox (http://twitter.com/search?q=%23redsox) will add about 7 yrs at about $23 mil per to a gon's $6 mil '11 salary. But no extension will be announced yet. 18 minutes ago (http://twitter.com/SI_JonHeyman/status/11589791975997440) via web

prospects will remain same in deal. Going to #padres (http://twitter.com/search?q=%23padres) are kelly, rizzo, fuentes and 4th prospect 16 minutes ago (http://twitter.com/SI_JonHeyman/status/11590180183998464) via web

Did Jayson Werth just save the Padres?!

Chiprocks1
12-05-2010, 07:06 PM
This isn't helping the pads, now if a trade were To go down the package probably won't be as good because of the uncertainty of him signing an extension.(personally I didn't think they were getting much in return anyways so I hope it doesn't go through)

We need at least one proven player to go along with prospects so that we can at least salvage the season. Getting 4 prospects (with potential) is a crap shoot. They could all go belly up and not pan out. But on the plus side they could all become monsters in the Bigs. Personally, the "trade" that we originally got for A-Gon was a joke IMO. I for one am glad that the trade is dead...for the time being.

Chiprocks1
12-05-2010, 07:08 PM
I for one am glad that the trade is dead...for the time being.

Never mind.

Padres15
12-05-2010, 09:00 PM
Never mind.

I agree the trade was a load if crap we pads should have asked for more then that come on, but it's better than the 2 comps we would have gotten

SDfootball61
12-05-2010, 09:04 PM
Just a question. I dont follow baseball that much looking in to the minors and all, but i'm just curious, why dont people like this deal. Yes i see that we dont get anybody that will help us right now, but Gonzo was gone after this year anyway, and we already lost a very large part of the team with Torrealba, Garland, and a few others gone. This was a one year wonder season, and i dont think we will be as good next year, but what do you think about our future. To me it looks good. Im curious about the guys who we've had in our farm system, and who is our best prospect. I know Donovan Tate, and the guys that we got, as well as the prospects we brought up last year (Durrango, Lubke, Poreda).

So i'm just asking if our future roster looks good. Guys like Cameron Maybin, Tate (Where the hell does he play anyway), and all the guys we got from the Gonzalez and Peavy trade. I know its nothing set in stone, but doesn't our future look quite good?

Padres15
12-05-2010, 09:04 PM
And if Kelly can become the pitcher he is thought to become in 2013 we would have a rotation of

Latos
Castro
Kelly
Stauffer(if he pitches like he did last year)
Luebke/Richard/Hefner

That's the potential rotation but management will probably decide to trade Latos Castro and Kelly because that would make our team to good. They don't want to feild a good team cuz that means they would actually have to sign players to a contract and not be able to just pay everyone the league min.

SDfootball61
12-05-2010, 09:08 PM
And if Kelly can become the pitcher he is thought to become in 2013 we would have a rotation of

Latos
Castro
Kelly
Luebke/Richard/Hefner

That's the potential rotation but management will probably decide to trade Latos Castro and Kelly because that would make our team to good. They don't want to feild a good team cuz that means they would actually have to sign players to a contract and not be able to just pay everyone the league min.

But that's how it goes in baseball. Big market teams are able to steal away the small market team's good players when they become great players, so we build up a team of great prospects, and let them hit at once, and then when there about to run out of their contract, trade them away to get another wave of prospects and wait for them to come up.

Thats why every few years you see a small market team at the top for a few years, and then fade back down.

MathewsNotMatthews24
12-05-2010, 09:37 PM
We need to lock up latos for a looooong time. But to a contract we can afford. I don't want to sign him to a huge $-wise deal and them complain of him being payed too much & then have to trade him, like what happened to peavy.

Chiprocks1
12-05-2010, 09:41 PM
This weekend has sucked big time for San Diego. Padres and their crappy trade and the Chargers with their crappy playing. Bah. :mad:

Jay21
12-05-2010, 11:18 PM
We need to lock up latos for a looooong time. But to a contract we can afford. I don't want to sign him to a huge $-wise deal and them complain of him being payed too much & then have to trade him, like what happened to peavy.

That Peavy deal was ridiculous. But, wasn't it to prevent him from becoming a free agent? I agree with you that Latos needs to be locked up for a long time. And, it needs to happen now... not just because the fans are upset. Latos is eligible for free agency in 2016, which means he only has 5 more seasons with the Padres. That doesn't just mean that Hoyer should buy out his arbitration years now to save a few million down the road. He needs to be aggressive and offer up some money to buy out at least one if not two of Latos' free agent years. What the Rays did with Longoria is a good model for the Padres to follow.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/l/longoev01.shtml#contracts

http://img508.imageshack.us/img508/5026/longoriasalaries.jpg

Counting the 2008 season that they left off, they locked him up for 9 years as opposed to the usual 6(?) years. And, it's not at all unreasonable for a player like him. The Padres aren't going to get as good a deal for Latos. The Rays got three extra years by signing him like a week into his rookie season, but Hoyer has to at least try.

Jay21
12-05-2010, 11:26 PM

Latos
Castro
Kelly
Luebke/Richard/Hefner

That's a lot of (hopefully) quality young pitching. You have to figure that playing in Petco, the Padres will be able to land veteran starters each year who give the team a discount they wouldn't elsewhere (like Harang for $3M). That's one spot in the rotation. And it looks like there's easily a surplus of pitching. I'll bet Hoyer does make a trade, but to get an MLB-ready position player. If Brett Lawrie plays well with the Brewers' AAA team next year, I wouldn't be surprised to see one or two of Stauffer, Richard, and Luebke used as trade chips.

Padres15
12-06-2010, 10:20 AM
That's a lot of (hopefully) quality young pitching. You have to figure that playing in Petco, the Padres will be able to land veteran starters each year who give the team a discount they wouldn't elsewhere (like Harang for $3M). That's one spot in the rotation. And it looks like there's easily a surplus of pitching. I'll bet Hoyer does make a trade, but to get an MLB-ready position player. If Brett Lawrie plays well with the Brewers' AAA team next year, I wouldn't be surprised to see one or two of Stauffer, Richard, and Luebke used as trade chips.

I know it's a lot of hopefullys but my point was the starting rotation has a very bright future but instead of keeping them all when they get to the bigs and have a top staff for years to come we will trade them when they get too expensive...like peavy and gonzalez and continually try to rebuild year after year. Kinda like the Rays that team last year was stacked with studs now look they are all gone to free agency, my point is that who cares about Rizzo and kelly and Latos they will all get traded when there time comes

Bolt Cola
12-06-2010, 11:13 AM
It is extremely hard to be very optimistic about this team right now, We've lost Garland, Torrealba, Tejada, Gonzalez, Webb, Mujica, Gwynn Jr., Hairston, and its looks as though CY will be the next followed by Hairston, Jr. and in return got Maybin, Harang, 3 guys I've never heard of that aren't MLB ready, and a player to be named...who is also not gonna be MLB ready.

Go Padres 2011....I'll still be there with my season tickets but its looking like it might be rough.

Chiprocks1
12-06-2010, 12:26 PM
Maybe Matt Bush will come back and play for us if we offer free booze in the Clubhouse. We are definitely scraping the bottom of the barrel in getting players this year with a heartbeat, because this team will be DOA at the start of the 2011 season. Just sayin'.

TreyTime
12-06-2010, 12:36 PM
Season is going to be rough..

dekkerbasser
12-06-2010, 12:38 PM

I love the Chargers, Padres and I root for the Clippers.

Yeah, thank goodness there is disc-golf.

Chiprocks1
12-06-2010, 01:06 PM
Yeah, thank goodness there is disc-golf.

Not to worry. Ownership will probably trade you away too, in spite of your skills at disc-golf.

SERAPHiMxANGEL
12-06-2010, 01:08 PM
Season is going to be rough..

How dare you take my Avi.

Padres15
12-06-2010, 03:30 PM
We are starting to look like a AAA again like we did in 08

Chiprocks1
12-06-2010, 04:39 PM
We are starting to look like a AAA again like we did in 08

We will be lucky to look like a AAA team with the way things are unfolding.

Padres15
12-06-2010, 06:48 PM
We will be lucky to look like a AAA team with the way things are unfolding.

No I dont think it will be that bad I'm thinkin like 75-87 the pitching will still be pretty good even without Webb and bell.
The offense will be dreadful though. Might as well just let all the young guys play no reason to have Salazar Ludwick denorfia ect. When we are not planning on competing for the division. Let the young guys develop

SDfootball61
12-06-2010, 11:24 PM
No I dont think it will be that bad I'm thinkin like 75-87 the pitching will still be pretty good even without Webb and bell.
The offense will be dreadful though. Might as well just let all the young guys play no reason to have Salazar Ludwick denorfia ect. When we are not planning on competing for the division. Let the young guys develop

:confused: Where did Bell go? i didnt hear any news of him being moved?

Padres15
12-06-2010, 11:35 PM
:confused: Where did Bell go? i didnt hear any news of him being moved?

I'm betting he is gone by the trade deadline...he better be, no reason to have an all star closer if there is no games to close. Trade him at the deadline when the borderline contenders are in search of bullpen help and hopefully get a nice prospect in return. If we are going to rebuild we better completely rebuild so this doesn't Have to happen again in 5 more years

SERAPHiMxANGEL
12-07-2010, 11:04 AM
What do you guys think our record will be? Im betting on like 60-70 wins..

Chiprocks1
12-07-2010, 11:07 AM
What do you guys think our record will be? Im betting on like 60-70 wins..

If we are lucky. I truly believe we will be the worst team in baseball after gutting the 2010 team. Having said that, I still will be here cheering the Friars on. But I may have to get drunk a little more this season though.

Padres15
12-07-2010, 12:06 PM
If we are lucky. I truly believe we will be the worst team in baseball after gutting the 2010 team. Having said that, I still will be here cheering the Friars on. But I may have to get drunk a little more this season though.

We will not be the worst team..the offense wil be but we still have great pitching Latos will be even better and Stauffer for a whole year

Chiprocks1
12-07-2010, 12:09 PM
We will not be the worst team..the offense wil be but we still have great pitching Latos will be even better and Stauffer for a whole year

No offense with great pitching does not translate into wins. Expecting our starters to go 7+ innings every time, throwing a shut out is just way to much to expect or even ask of them with no run support. We need to score runs. It's not likely with the team we have right now. Thus, we will be at the very bottom in MLB.

Bolt Cola
12-07-2010, 02:15 PM
Just got this letter that went out to all season ticket holders....thought you guys might want to see what upper management thinks

Amid our baseball news during this holiday season, I wanted to share directly with you our thoughts about Adrian Gonzalez and our trade for four players.

As a Padres fan, and as a member of the Padres organization, I thank Adrian for everything he has done -- both on and off the field -- for this club and for the greater San Diego community. Adrian gave us five tremendous seasons, playing with heart and contributing to every game. He has been a fixture in the community, and there is no doubt that we will miss him.

As fans, it breaks our hearts when we trade players we've fallen in love with. We would have loved for it to be possible for our native son to be a lifetime member of the Padres. Over the past several weeks, it became evident that it would require $140 million to $170 million over the next seven to eight years to sign Adrian. To build a championship-caliber club from top to bottom, we cannot devote an exaggerated sum to one player if it comes at the expense of constructing an excellent team. As we know, championship clubs require strength and depth from one to 25 (and then some).

While we have the smallest television territory in Major League Baseball and the smallest number of Fortune 500 companies of any baseball market, we do have a beautiful ballpark and a devoted fan base. We are working hard to grow our revenues, and as we do, every new dollar will go back into the team. We can accomplish our goal of having a consistently winning team and one capable of winning a Championship. To do so, we will need a lot of talented players hitting their prime at the same time. We have a baseball staff that can build such a team.

Jed Hoyer and Jason McLeod know the Red Sox farm system as well as anyone, and they are thrilled to be bringing three players (Casey Kelly, Anthony Rizzo and Reymond Fuentes) whom they value so highly and whom they believe in so strongly. We have faith in their judgment.

We all have the same goal - to see a winning team year-in and year-out, one that plays October Baseball in hopes of winning the World Series. We want a team we can believe in, playing in a home we love, with an ambiance that is welcoming to all.

As Season Ticket Holders, you are the backbone of the franchise, and we are determined to reward your faith in us. We had a magical season this year that surprised fans throughout baseball. Although we came up short, it was a season of heart and joy and talent - one upon which we hope we can build. As we welcome Casey Kelly, Anthony Rizzo and Reymond Fuentes, Jed and his team will continue to do what they did so well in 2010: scout the best talent for the greatest value. We still have among the best pitching and defense in baseball, and we expect to build an exciting team of contenders that San Diego fans will be proud to support in 2011. The heart, energy, competitiveness and teamwork that you saw from Buddy Black's team in 2010 will be a hallmark of Padres baseball for years to come.

On behalf of Jeff Moorad and our entire organization, we thank you for your loyalty and active participation, and we wish you the happiest of holiday seasons. Remember: there are less than 75 days until pitchers and catchers report. I look forward to seeing you in Peoria, if not before then.

Sincerely,

Tom Garfinkel
President & Chief Operating Officer

SERAPHiMxANGEL
12-07-2010, 02:19 PM
Pads looking at Cantu and Derek Lee according to Marty.

Chiprocks1
12-07-2010, 02:21 PM
Pads looking at Cantu and Derek Lee according to Marty.

Sign Derek Lee and then re-sign Chris Young and sit back and wait for it to happen. ;)

SERAPHiMxANGEL
12-07-2010, 02:33 PM
IMO we should be looking at SS and 2B first.

SERAPHiMxANGEL
12-07-2010, 03:51 PM
Dodgers sign Tony Gwynn Jr.

JammerHammer23
12-07-2010, 03:52 PM
Sign Derek Lee and then re-sign Chris Young and sit back and wait for it to happen. ;)

Lee would be a decent signing for a year or so.

And Kelly could be coming up soon as well.

And the Pirates still exist, so you won't be the worst this year. ;)

Rivers4MVP
12-07-2010, 04:03 PM
that email is great, and i appreciate the Padres FO a lot for their outreach to fans, the Chargers have never done that type of stuff, but the Padres FO has done so much for the fans, so I fully support them and whatever they do and I think we go 84-78 next year, the pitching will still be very strong and one bat, even if it is Adrian, won't turn us from a 90 win team to a 60 win team, maybe not a playoff team, but we will be competitive and decent

Chiprocks1
12-07-2010, 04:34 PM
one bat, even if it is Adrian, won't turn us from a 90 win team to a 60 win team

Um...i do believe we have lost a lot more than just A-Gon's bat. This is going to be a completely different team in 2011. I really do hope that the Padres can stay competitive. Who knows, maybe another miracle year with a bunch of overachievers.

MathewsNotMatthews24
12-07-2010, 04:49 PM

Lol, I was just thinking that!

SERAPHiMxANGEL
12-07-2010, 05:31 PM
Marty1090 (http://twitter.com/#%21/Marty1090) Marty Caswell

RT @Ken_Rosenthal (http://twitter.com/Ken_Rosenthal): #Padres (http://twitter.com/#%21/search?q=%23Padres) close to signing free-agent RHP Dustin Moseley. Major-league deal. #MLB (http://twitter.com/#%21/search?q=%23MLB)

SERAPHiMxANGEL
12-07-2010, 05:31 PM
that email is great, and i appreciate the Padres FO a lot for their outreach to fans, the Chargers have never done that type of stuff, but the Padres FO has done so much for the fans, so I fully support them and whatever they do and I think we go 84-78 next year, the pitching will still be very strong and one bat, even if it is Adrian, won't turn us from a 90 win team to a 60 win team, maybe not a playoff team, but we will be competitive and decent

We lost more then just A-gon. We lost Jerry,Eck,Torr, and Miggy.

Rivers4MVP
12-07-2010, 05:36 PM
true, they still may re-sign JHJ, right?

SERAPHiMxANGEL
12-07-2010, 05:37 PM
true, they still may re-sign JHJ, right?

Probably not. Last I heard the Mets were close to a deal with him.

MathewsNotMatthews24
12-07-2010, 06:35 PM
I could see mosely fitting into our BP. I've also read that hoffy could come back here, or likely AZ, as long as he closes.

Chiprocks1
12-07-2010, 06:43 PM
I've also read that hoffy could come back here, or likely AZ, as long as he closes.

Link??????????????

MathewsNotMatthews24
12-07-2010, 06:57 PM
Link??????????????

yup.

http://insider.espn.go.com/mlb/blog?name=olney_buster&id=5845608&action=login&appRedirect=http%3a%2f%2finsider.espn.go.com%2fmlb %2fblog%3fname%3dolney_buster%26id%3d5845608
theres more in that article, but i just dont want to pay buster olney....

Padres15
12-07-2010, 11:08 PM
We lost more then just A-gon. We lost Jerry,Eck,Torr, and Miggy.

First of all we only had miggy for what 2 months? We did fine the first half of the year without him. And second eck and Jerry hair were both below average offensively and defensively if you think the loss of eck and Jerry will hurt the team your highly mistaken

SERAPHiMxANGEL
12-08-2010, 09:14 AM
First of all we only had miggy for what 2 months? We did fine the first half of the year without him. And second eck and Jerry hair were both below average offensively and defensively if you think the loss of eck and Jerry will hurt the team your highly mistaken

LOL. You really think were better off without these guys? Miggy gave us a nice bat.And um yeah with Eck and Jerry gone it will hurt this team. Whos going to be our SS? Everth? Whos our 2B? Exactly. So if you think these losses wont hurt this team, then you are mistaken.

RandomTask
12-08-2010, 09:36 AM
Sad realization that when the Padres open up the season at home against the Giants and all the bandwagon fans will be out in force.

Padres15
12-08-2010, 02:40 PM
LOL. You really think were better off without these guys? Miggy gave us a nice bat.And um yeah with Eck and Jerry gone it will hurt this team. Whos going to be our SS? Everth? Whos our 2B? Exactly. So if you think these losses wont hurt this team, then you are mistaken.

Well we are obviously are not going to be better without them this year because we don't have AGone, but what I am saying Is that it is not to hard to replace Eckstien who hit just 267 with absolutely no speed or power and Hairston jr. A utility infielder who hit just 244 with no speed (hit did hit 10 homers though which is pretty good for the role he plays). Yes Tejada brought a little power he hit a homers with us but... He only hit 269, no speed not very much range at shortstop. You guys make it seem like we are losing all star type players offensive but really.. THEY ARE ALL AVERAGE HITTERS. Everyone has given up on Cabrera because he had a horrid year last year but he is only 24 and super fast, even if he hits 255 like he did his rookie year that's more productive than ecks 265 or jerrys 244 because Cabrera knows how to run. Yeah they need to find someone to play the position but it's not that hard to find a 250 hitter.. that's not exactly irreplaceable.

Chiprocks1
12-08-2010, 02:52 PM
They may all be "average" as you say, but it's the intangibles that they brought to the team that will be missed. Leadership goes a long way in making those around you elevate your play to a higher level, which is exactly why we played so well for the first 3/4th of the season. We never had a team full of superstars, but we had a team that was gelling and playing as one. And Jerry, although "average" as you say, was a HUGE part of a our success. It's not lost on me (or anyone else on here) that as soon as he went down with the injury, we suffered through that horrid 10 game losing streak which in the end killed our chance of getting into the post season.

You have to look beyond just "numbers" and factor in what else they bring to the club as a whole. That's why the players we have lost (so far) will be missed IMO.

Rivers4MVP
12-08-2010, 04:05 PM
Hearing the #Padres (http://twitter.com/search?q=%23Padres) trade with #Rays (http://twitter.com/search?q=%23Rays) has real legs and could be done today. Cesar Ramos, Adam Russell for Bartlett. Would you take that?

rjb1816
12-08-2010, 04:10 PM
hell yea i would take bartlett for those guys