PDA

View Full Version : Baseball is a Crime

Rivers4MVP
12-04-2010, 11:19 AM
Let me first say that I do like the Adrian trade, would have liked a 2B or SS, and getting an OF and 1B doesn't help that much, but baseball is A CRIME. When you can't even afford to pay your local star and are forced to trade him to the teams that buy world series titles, that is a joke. The parity in baseball is horrible. the same teams stink every year and fluke seasons happen one in every 10 years with small market teams. They simply cannot afford to pay their players and teams like the Yankees and Red Sox feast off of the other teams and take their players, they don't even need to draft well, the bottom dwellers are their minor league system, need a salary cap, look at the parity in the NFL.

JammerHammer23
12-04-2010, 11:23 AM
I got an idea. Get people in the stands. Know why the Yankees can pay their guys so much and get other players? Because we make money. To make money, you have to spend money.

Tycebrew
12-04-2010, 11:25 AM
I got an idea. Get people in the stands. Know why the Yankees can pay their guys so much and get other players? Because we make money. To make money, you have to spend money.

What a load of crap that is. Yankees and RedSox have the richest owners by far. It's not even close. They are allowed to pay a luxury tax to circumvent the "salary cap". Putting fans in the stadiums doesn't make a difference one iota.

Rivers4MVP
12-04-2010, 11:31 AM

so money just appears right? so we should spend 100 million, that way we will get 200 million! genius! that is the dumbest thing i have ever heard, people aren't in the stands because we can't afford to spend money, both the team and fans, you have no clue, you are a yankees fan.

JammerHammer23
12-04-2010, 11:44 AM
so money just appears right? so we should spend 100 million, that way we will get 200 million! genius! that is the dumbest thing i have ever heard, people aren't in the stands because we can't afford to spend money, both the team and fans, you have no clue, you are a yankees fan.

Please. If more people went to games, you have more money being spent on tickets, merchandise, food, etc. The Pads have no identity. Their last franchise player was Gwynn. You have no identity. You don't have a guy like Jeter, Perdoia, Pujols. A Gon was that guy but everyone knew he would leave. And why can't you spend money? You think NY is cheap to live in? Cuz it isn't. And notice how the Yankees spend money and they actually gain money! Imagine that! The Pads can't spend money because they don't make money.

JoeMcRugby
The Yankees can pay their players because they have a cable network deal that pays the organization $250 million annually.

That's $250 million in the Yankees bank account before the first fan steps into Yankee Stadium.

In the NFL, that money would be spread among all of the other franchises.

This is what you get in baseball. It's not a matter of spending money to make money. It's spending whatever you get from local market television deals.

Thus, the SD's, Minnesota's, KC's, Pittsburgh's, Tampa Bay's et al. will never be able to compete with the Yankees', Mets', Dodgers', Phillies', Cubs', Red Sox's et al. for free agents.

JammerHammer23
What a load of crap that is. Yankees and RedSox have the richest owners by far. It's not even close. They are allowed to pay a luxury tax to circumvent the "salary cap". Putting fans in the stadiums doesn't make a difference one iota.

And this is a lie. You think that if people didn't go to the Yankees game, we would be able to afford our guys? Come on man.

JammerHammer23
12-04-2010, 11:45 AM
The Yankees can pay their players because they have a cable network deal that pays the organization $250 million annually.

That's $250 million in the Yankees bank account before the first fan steps into Yankee Stadium.

In the NFL, that money would be spread among all of the other franchises.

This is what you get in baseball. It's not a matter of spending money to make money. It's spending whatever you get from local market television deals.

Thus, the SD's, Minnesota's, KC's, Pittsburgh's, Tampa Bay's et al. will never be able to compete with the Yankees', Mets', Dodgers', Phillies', Cubs', Red Sox's et al. for free agents.

But Minnesota has a good team. Tampa has a good team, but they don't get any support from their fanbase. Look at what big money has gotten the Dodgers and Cubs. Nothing.

Tycebrew
12-04-2010, 11:49 AM
And this is a lie. You think that if people didn't go to the Yankees game, we would be able to afford our guys? Come on man.

Yes, the Yankees would still have money if the stands were half packed. That's not the majority of your revenue.

Dude, you are clueless. Thats rich... a Chargers fan and a Yankees fan. That's a new bandwagon to me.

Tycebrew
12-04-2010, 11:59 AM

Here's proof it isn't a lie.

So this is what we have here: The Yankee difference is that they make much, much, much, much, much, much, more money than any other team in baseball. I suppose everybody understands this on a gut level, but when you look at the Forbes numbers (and remember, this is AFTER revenue-sharing) you see how stark it really is:

Top Five Revenue Teams
1. New York Yankees, $441 million
2. New York Mets, $268 million
3. Boston Red Sox, $266 million
4. Los Angeles Dodgers, $247 million
5. Chicago Cubs $246 million

Bottom Five Revenue Teams
30. Florida Marlins, $144 million
29. Pittsburgh Pirates, $145 million
28. Oakland Athletics, $155 million
27. Kansas City Royals, $155 million
26. Tampa Bay Rays, $156 million

Now, look at that again. The Yankees pulled in $173 million more than the No. 2 team in baseball, their city mates. They Yankees essentially made $200 million more than the Chicago Cubs. This is mind-boggling. And, of course the Yankees made about $300 million more than the bottom five teams.

Now, sure, some of this upsurge in revenue -- no team has ever made anything close to $441 million in revenue before -- is due to the new Yankee Stadium. But basically, this is a good look at reality. The Yankees are the biggest team in the biggest city. The Yankees are a global brand. The Yankees have, through their own good efforts and their various other advantages, been the most dominant sports franchise in American sports.

Well, hey, you can decide for yourself just how much of the Yankees' revenue is due to their location plus their television market and how much of it is due to their good business sense, but either way, when you actually look at the numbers you realize how ridiculous it is for Yankees fans to say that Kansas City and Pittsburgh and Oakland should just "try harder."

There you have it. Packing fans in Yankee stadium doesn't do it.

Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/writers/joe_posnanski/04/19/baseball.revenue/index.html#ixzz17AehyHba

JammerHammer23
12-04-2010, 12:01 PM
Yes, the Yankees would still have money if the stands were half packed. That's not the majority of your revenue.

Dude, you are clueless. Thats rich... a Chargers fan and a Yankees fan. That's a new bandwagon to me.

I'm sorry, I happen to live in NY. If that is bandwagon, news to me.

joehess
12-05-2010, 02:49 AM
It's funny to me how everyone at their first opportunity jumps on the Sox or Yanks back blaming them for all that is wrong with the game. When those teams travel to stadiums outside their division and especially interleague games they pack the house. Even on the west coast. Thing is they don't win every World Series and the last 2 years one of those teams has flat out missed the playoffs. Yes the $$ is incredibly unequal but you'll find that in almost any business. Some companies just have more $$ and resources that the others.

As far as them not needing to daft well, guess what THEY DO ANYWAYS. Much better than the crap the Padres take. Go look at the Padres top picks in the last 10 years or so then look at who was taken after It's embarassing. Padres got some lucky picks with Latos, Peavy and for a short time Khalil however the Burroughs, Schmidts, Bush's. Ramos of the world have been washes.

If you're not going to spend, develop. If you can't develop or spend, well, you have the Padres.

boltplug10
12-13-2010, 05:24 PM
without a salary cap in baseball...it is a pretty much flawed and dead sport. Honestly baseball will never go salary cap because there are only 5 markets that would really follow it anyways.

Rivers4MVP
12-13-2010, 10:18 PM
cool the phillies signed lee. Their rotation consists of Lee, Halladay, Oswalt and Hamels, 4 of the top 10 pitchers in baseball on one team, yeah, that's really fair, screw you MLB

sdadc
12-13-2010, 10:18 PM
Phillies sign Cliff Lee.. they could have

Roy Halladay
Cliff Lee
Roy Oswalt
Cole Hamels

...uhh yeah. Baseball is a CRIME

Rivers4MVP
12-13-2010, 11:13 PM
it is a complete joke, Philly, Boston and the Yankees ruin baseball

sdadc
12-13-2010, 11:24 PM
it is a complete joke, Philly, Boston and the Yankees ruin baseball

YUP, why can't they keep it legit like the NFL where the only way to keep your team in contention for years and years is to draft an elite QB or to have a solid defensive foundation.

Adeon
12-14-2010, 05:07 AM
It's funny to me how everyone at their first opportunity jumps on the Sox or Yanks back blaming them for all that is wrong with the game. When those teams travel to stadiums outside their division and especially interleague games they pack the house. Even on the west coast.
That's because they ensure that their product is the only thing in baseball worth watching. And that is NOT a good thing for the overall health of the sport. :logo