PDA

View Full Version : Raiders All Pro Ray Guy Bankrupt - Sells Rings

chargertom
08-10-2011, 08:47 PM
http://static.foxsports.com/content/fscom/img/2011/08/10/guy_20110810173110264_660_320.JPG

Former All-Pro punter Ray Guy, under orders from a bankruptcy judge, auctioned off three Super Bowl rings he won with the Oakland and Los Angeles Raiders (http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/team/oakland-raiders/67050), The Augusta Chronicle reported Wednesday.

Guy, 61, filed for bankruptcy earlier this year, prompting the judge's order to auction off the championship rings.

"I don't want to talk about it," Guy told The Chronicle last week. "I'm not trying to be hateful, but sometimes you've got to do what you've got to do."

The diamond-encrusted rings tokens of the Raiders' Super Bowl victories in 1977, 1981 and 1984 fetched $96,216 at a Los Angeles-based auction house Tuesday night, according to the report.

Guy was drafted by the Raiders in the first round of the 1973 draft. The Georgia native was named to the Pro Bowl seven times in 14 NFL seasons, all as a member of the Raiders. He was named to the NFL's 75th Anniversary All-Time Team in 1994.

The former Southern Mississippi standout took a job with his alma mater in 2007, managing and directing the daily operations of the athletic department's alumni association, according to The Chronicle.

Read more (http://chronicle.augusta.com/latest-news/2011-08-10/guys-super-bowl-rings-bring-almost-100000)

BoltFAN1986
08-10-2011, 10:47 PM
As a rival, I don't care much for the raiders but thats still wrong... very wrong...

GGP
08-11-2011, 12:11 AM
Don't feel bad at all for this guy. Mehh..

JoeMcRugby
08-11-2011, 07:46 AM
Just to make it clear:

Guy didn't voluntarily sell his rings. When you file for Chapter 7 Bankruptcy protection, the judge orders the trustee of the "debtor's estate" to sell every asset to pay off the creditors to whom money is owed with the exception of exempt assets.

Try as I might, I can't find Super Bowl rings as being exempt assets under the US Bankruptcy Code. :(

HeadTrip
08-11-2011, 10:36 AM
It's sad that such precious heirlooms will be lost to that family forever because of poor financial decisions.

norcalcharger
08-11-2011, 12:41 PM
HOF should be ashamed.....granted I am not or never will be a Raider fan. It's just a great injustice to him and the people in the league that get looked over because of the position they played. @#$% deon sanders....what a joke. Primeslime!

chargertom
08-11-2011, 12:42 PM
Those rings are the kinds of things that you'd like to see passed down through the coming generations.

I feel bad for his family ... but you gotta pay to play.

freakshow
08-11-2011, 12:49 PM
Whats even more obtuse that Guy being in that situation when it seems he was a working part of society is the fact that he is not a part of the HOF. I can't think of a punter with a better ave per punt or hang time than Guy.

http://static.foxsports.com/content/fscom/img/2011/08/10/guy_20110810173110264_660_320.JPG

Former All-Pro punter Ray Guy, under orders from a bankruptcy judge, auctioned off three Super Bowl rings he won with the Oakland and Los Angeles Raiders (http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/team/oakland-raiders/67050), The Augusta Chronicle reported Wednesday.

Guy, 61, filed for bankruptcy earlier this year, prompting the judge's order to auction off the championship rings.

"I don't want to talk about it," Guy told The Chronicle last week. "I'm not trying to be hateful, but sometimes you've got to do what you've got to do."

The diamond-encrusted rings tokens of the Raiders' Super Bowl victories in 1977, 1981 and 1984 fetched $96,216 at a Los Angeles-based auction house Tuesday night, according to the report.

Guy was drafted by the Raiders in the first round of the 1973 draft. The Georgia native was named to the Pro Bowl seven times in 14 NFL seasons, all as a member of the Raiders. He was named to the NFL's 75th Anniversary All-Time Team in 1994.

The former Southern Mississippi standout took a job with his alma mater in 2007, managing and directing the daily operations of the athletic department's alumni association, according to The Chronicle.

Read more (http://chronicle.augusta.com/latest-news/2011-08-10/guys-super-bowl-rings-bring-almost-100000)

JoeMcRugby
08-11-2011, 12:49 PM
HOF should be ashamed.....granted I am not or never will be a Raider fan. It's just a great injustice to him and the people in the league that get looked over because of the position they played. @#$% deon sanders....what a joke. Primeslime!

Former HOF voter Dr. Z has opined on this many times over the years before he had a series of strokes a few years back. Here's a bit that he wrote in 1999:

Dave of Versailles, France, questions me about Ray Guy. I'm a no voter. Eighteen of this year's punters have a higher career average, also Ray was a middle-of-the-end-zone punter.

He never hit the corners, probably through John Madden's orders, but it took away some of his game. I believe that the first punter inducted should be Tommy Davis, the ex-49er. Look up his career stats some day. Much better than Guy's.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/inside_game/dr_z/news/1999/01/28/mailbag/

That's the reason why Guy wasn't inducted into the HOF. The voters have nothing to be ashamed of IMO.

norcalcharger
08-11-2011, 12:56 PM
Former HOF voter Dr. Z has opined on this many times over the years before he had a series of strokes a few years back. Here's a bit that he wrote in 1999:

That's the reason why Guy wasn't inducted into the HOF. The voters have nothing to be ashamed of IMO. Not arguing here, but then what's the excuse for Coreyell not being in there....and please don't use the ole addage "no rings"...

JoeMcRugby
08-11-2011, 01:10 PM
Not arguing here, but then what's the excuse for Coreyell not being in there....and please don't use the ole addage "no rings"...

What is the excuse?

7 max get into the Hall each year, and far more than that number whom are Hall worthy retire each year. There's a huge logjam, especially at the receiver position. With the inflated numbers of recent years, the Hall could conceivably start inducting classes composed entirely of receivers based on the fact that their reception numbers exceed those already in the Hall.

I personally believe that Coryell should be in, but apparently his 3-6 career playoff record and .572 career winning percentage have kept him from reaching the 75% threshold of voters.

JoeMcRugby
08-11-2011, 01:17 PM
Whats even more obtuse that Guy being in that situation when it seems he was a working part of society is the fact that he is not a part of the HOF. I can't think of a punter with a better ave per punt or hang time than Guy.

Here are 72 of them:

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/leaders/punt_yds_per_punt_career.htm

Ray Guy is currently tied for 73rd in career punt average. I'm willing to bet that his net punt average is even worse.

As for hangime, Dr. Z (whom used to write about the art of punting all the time) writes this about Ray Guy and one Mike Scifres a few years back:

But once again, for the umpteenth time, Ray Guy appears on the Hall of Fame ballot. His lifetime gross average was an unimpressive 42.4. I got a letter on his behalf from some lobbying agency that tried to cover this number by explaining that he made up for it by pinning the enemy deep with coffin-corner kicks. This is a flat out lie written by someone who probably spells football with a pf. Guy's big weakness was that he didn't go for the edges. He was a middle of the end zone punter, although he had the livest leg in the game and when he caught one it really hung.

At one of our Hall of Fame selectors meetings, Peter King, who had meticulously gone through years of play-by-play sheets, presented the research he had done on what Guy's net would have been, had it been kept in those days. It was in the low 30, mediocre indeed.

But every time you get John Madden talking about Guy, whom he had coached in Oakland, he'd mention his hang time, "regularly in the high-5.0 range, sometimes as high as six seconds." This is, of course, nonsense. Never in history has there been a six-second hanger. But I do know what one looks like. How could this be? Well, when I used to be the New York Post's beat man, covering the Jets, I got to know the ball boys pretty well. One day, after practice we were messing around with the machine used by the return men, which simulated punts. I asked them to set it at the max, and let's see what the hang time would be.

The Oakland game was going along in orderly fashion on Sunday night, and then Mike Scifres, my all-pro punter of 2004, lofted one into the cool night air. When the play was over, I looked at my stopwatch. It read 5.74. Surely this must be a mistake. So during the timeout I ran the tape back and timed it four more times, and I got results ranging from 5.67 to 5.83.

This is the longest hang time I have ever recorded in 40 years of noting this statistic. I am still in shock. On Monday I called the Chargers' special teams coach, Steve Crosby, and the result of that conversation, plus a whole lot of other nifty stuff, will be the subject of tomorrow's column.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2005/writers/dr_z/12/07/ranks.week14.part1/index.html

Until last weekend, when, as I mentioned the other day, I clocked the Chargers' Mike Scifres in a range of 5.67 to 5.83 (the same punt, replayed three times) against the Raiders. Next day I was on the phone with San Diego's special teams coach, Steve Crosby.

"Five-seven-five was our clocking," Crosby said. "You have to remember that this punt hit the ground, and those are always going to be a little higher on the hang than the ones that are caught. The four feet difference between the catch and the ground means around four hundredths of a second."

But still ... 5.75, what a monster! I mean it's got to be the highest he's ever recorded, right?

"No," Crosby said. "Last year Mike hit a 5.8 in Atlanta. I thought it was gonna get tangled up in some equipment in the roof of the Georgia Dome. Joe DeCamillis, the Falcons' special teams coach, started yelling at me, 'Steve, Steve, I got 5.8! I've never seen this before.' I said, 'There's no one with a leg like this kid has.'

"When we played in Ford Field in Detroit they were goading him in practice to hit the speakers at the top of the roof. A few of his punts looked like they were disappearing somewhere in there. There was a whole bunch of guys gathered around. I mean it was a real spectacle."

Scifres was my all-pro punter last season, but it wasn't because of his gross yardage, or his net, both of which were excellent. It was because of a statistic that is not recorded as such but I think is vitally important. Percentage of punts returned. The lower the better, obviously. And touchbacks don't figure in the equation.

Scifres' figure was an NFL best 37.7 percent, and right now he's at 40 percent, slightly behind the Jaguars' Chris Hanson (39.3). But Scifres has him by 2 1/2 on the net so, yes, at this point, he is once again my all-pro punter.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2005/writers/dr_z/12/08/punters/2.html

I guess we need to set aside a few HOF classes for punters just as we will for receivers since Scifres, Lechler and about a half-dozen punters today are better than Guy ever was. ;)