PDA

View Full Version : Mat Latos traded to the Reds

msd1172
12-17-2011, 12:57 PM
Pads get back Edinson Volquez, Yonder Alonso and two other prospects.

http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/7362616/san-diego-padres-trade-mat-latos-cincinnati-reds-edinson-volquez-yonder-alonso-two-prospects

NoVA619
12-17-2011, 01:48 PM
That sucks, I thought he was our No1 arm? Who's our starters now, and were we that short on position players to give up Latos?

BoltzSTi
12-17-2011, 02:32 PM
Man and they wonder why more people don't go to the games. Now who's gonna take his spot?

AirCro
12-17-2011, 02:41 PM
Very surprising to see him dealt. The Reds clearly really wanted him bad by what they gave up.

ElectricGlide
12-17-2011, 06:29 PM
What is wrong with them right now? I mean I understand Heath Bell leaving but why Ryan Ludwick, Mat Latos?? I even hear theyre going to try trading Aaron Harang. I will go insane if Cameron Maybin is traded.

SDfootball61
12-17-2011, 07:43 PM
We got an insane deal for him. Alonso is a very Petco like hitter, actually similar to a 1st baseman that we just had not to long ago... Line drive, hit to all fields kind of guy. Volquez can be the comeback player of the year very easily. He's an incredibly talented player, hoping his Arm isn't too bad from the Tommy John he had 2 years ago, he should be a very good #1 or #2.

I dont know who the catcher is, but a couple of guys from ESPN compared him HEAVILY too Jason Varitek in terms of leadership and ability to call a game. I guess he's supposed to be good.

But i guess now with Alonso, the hope was to get Matt Garza out of Chicago for Rizzo. I dunno, seems like a great deal to me. But then again, i know absolutely nothing about the guys other than Volquez, and i'm going completely off of what guys from ESPN said about these guys.

Hopefully all these guys end up really good.

ScootMagroot
12-17-2011, 10:08 PM
What is wrong with them right now? I mean I understand Heath Bell leaving but why Ryan Ludwick, Mat Latos?? I even hear theyre going to try trading Aaron Harang. I will go insane if Cameron Maybin is traded.

Ummm....Aaron Harang wasnt resigned, and signed with the Dodgers. Maybin isn't going anywhere. Rizzo will be dealt next. Then hopefully Bartlett and Hudson.

chargerpadre19
12-17-2011, 10:25 PM
They weren't looking to trade Latos, but when they get offered that much and they aren't contending right now they have to take it

Totally Bolted
12-18-2011, 01:33 PM
We got an insane deal for him. Alonso is a very Petco like hitter, actually similar to a 1st baseman that we just had not to long ago... Line drive, hit to all fields kind of guy. Volquez can be the comeback player of the year very easily. He's an incredibly talented player, hoping his Arm isn't too bad from the Tommy John he had 2 years ago, he should be a very good #1 or #2.

I dont know who the catcher is, but a couple of guys from ESPN compared him HEAVILY too Jason Varitek in terms of leadership and ability to call a game. I guess he's supposed to be good.

But i guess now with Alonso, the hope was to get Matt Garza out of Chicago for Rizzo. I dunno, seems like a great deal to me. But then again, i know absolutely nothing about the guys other than Volquez, and i'm going completely off of what guys from ESPN said about these guys.

Hopefully all these guys end up really good.

The padres need hitters. Pitching has kept them in most games, hopefully this is a step to change that.
Sure would be nice to have the team competitive.