The Official Los Angeles Chargers Forum

The Official Los Angeles Chargers Forum (https://forums.chargers.com/index.php)
-   AFC West (https://forums.chargers.com/forumdisplay.php?f=161)
-   -   Rival Report - Chokeland (https://forums.chargers.com/showthread.php?t=103530)

DefenseWins 07-01-2015 06:54 PM

Rival Report - Chokeland

Rival Report: The Oakland Raiders
Quote:

Additions: Head Coach Jack Del Rio, RB Roy Helu (Redskins), RB Trent Richardson (Colts), WR Michael Crabtree (49ers), S Nate Allen (Eagles), C Rodney Hudson (Chiefs), QB Christian Ponder (Vikings), NT Dan Williams (Cardinals), LB Curtis Lofton (Saints), LB Malcolm Smith (Seahawks), DB James Dockery (Panthers), TE Lee Smith (Bills)

Losses: Interim Head Coach Tony Sparano, RB Darren McFadden (Cowboys), RB Maurice Jones-Drew (Retired), S Tyvon Branch (Chiefs), DT Pat Sims (Bengals) CB Chimdi Chkewa (Patriots), LaMarr Woodley (Cardinals)

Draft Class:
First Round, Fourth Overall: WR Amari Cooper, Alabama
Second Round, 35th Overall: DT Mario Edwards, JR, Florida St.
Third Round, 68th Overall: TE Clive Walford, Miami
Fourth Round, 128th Overall: OG Jon Feliciano, Miami
Fifth Round, 140th Overall: ILB Ben Heeney, Kansas
Fifth Round, 161st Overall: OLB Neiron Ball, Florida
Sixth Round, 179th Overall: OLB Max Valles, Virginia
Seventh Round, 218th Overall: OL Anthony Morris, Tennessee St.
Seventh Round, 221st Overall: WR Andre Debose, Florida
Seventh Round, 242nd Overall: CB Dexter McDonald, Kansas

Three Key Questions
Based on reports and outside opinions out of Oakland, here are three key questions the media have about the Raiders heading into the season:

Will Carr Take Off? – Although they finished with a 4-12 record, Derek Carr earned high marks for his rookie campaign. The quarterback completed 348 of 599 attempts (58.1%) for 3,270 yards, 21 touchdowns and 12 interceptions. Oakland hopes he can take that next step, giving him two new targets in first round pick Amari Cooper and free agent pickup Michael Crabtree. The leap between year one and two for an NFL QB is pivotal, so this could be a telling season for the Raiders’ signal caller.

Who Carries the Rock? – Oakland ranked dead last in rushing the football last season, averaging just 77.5 yards per game. Maurice Jones-Drew and Darren McFadden are no longer around to carry the load, as the team signed Trent Richardson and Roy Helu to join Latavius Murray in the backfield. After ranking at the bottom of the NFL in 2014, Oakland knows they need to improve in order to balance their offensive attack.

What is the Del Rio Effect? – Oakland stated they wanted a culture change when they hired native son Jack Del Rio as head coach. He grew up a die-hard Raiders fan and lobbied hard for the job. Del Rio previously served as head coach of the Jaguars from 2003-11, leading Jacksonville to a 69-73 record while going 1-2 in the postseason. He spent the last three years as the Broncos’ defensive coordinator. While Oakland made a number of player moves this offseason, perhaps none matter as much as Del Rio’s impact on the overall team.

When We Meet:
Week 7 (10/25) at Qualcomm Stadium (1:05pm)
Week 16 (12/24) at Oakland (5:25pm)

All-Time Record:
Oakland leads the all-time record 59-50-1 http://forums.chargers.com/images/icons/icon13.gif

R4PT0R 07-02-2015 01:15 PM

It does seem like they got a bit better, with those additions and the coaching changes. Carr should be even better in year 2 with Cooper and Crabtree.... I still think they will finish last in the division though.

Side note: In that picture you posted, why is that kid cheering? All of the other fans are clearly pissed about something that just happened. Classic Raider fan, has no idea what is happening in football :LightsOut:

Fully-Charged 07-06-2015 01:10 PM

Raiders has always given us a hard time even when we are clearly the better team. They got much better during this off season, so I would not take them lightly.

LongTimeOCBolts 07-06-2015 01:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fully-Charged (Post 4517349)
Raiders has always given us a hard time even when we are clearly the better team. They got much better during this off season, so I would not take them lightly.

Cool avi.

First I've seen that. :helmet

sonorajim 07-16-2015 11:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fully-Charged (Post 4517349)

It never pays to take an NFL game lightly, especially a division opponent. The Raiders should be around .500 this year for the 1st time in a long time and they have some potential.
The Chargers should sweep them. Key word "should". No guarantees.

Kemp17 07-23-2015 04:47 PM

Derek Carr's rookie season has been ridiculously overrated. I don't think he's going to amount to much.

I AMazing I 07-23-2015 10:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kemp17 (Post 4519668)
Derek Carr's rookie season has been ridiculously overrated. I don't think he's going to amount to much.

I don't put much emphasis on "ratings" or being "overrated" but I thought he looked pretty good for a rookie. Just my personal 2 cents.

Kemp17 07-24-2015 07:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by I AMazing I (Post 4519694)
I don't put much emphasis on "ratings" or being "overrated" but I thought he looked pretty good for a rookie. Just my personal 2 cents.

Ok, in what way? He completed 58% of his passes despite inflating that total with a bunch of gimme check downs on long 3rd downs and having one of the shortest depths of target in the league. His YPA was last by a whopping 1.5 yards. He had great protection. He didn't handle pressure well when it did come. His QBR was bottom 3 in the league. He stunk.

Game3524 07-24-2015 04:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kemp17 (Post 4519710)
Ok, in what way? He completed 58% of his passes despite inflating that total with a bunch of gimme check downs on long 3rd downs and having one of the shortest depths of target in the league. His YPA was last by a whopping 1.5 yards. He had great protection. He didn't handle pressure well when it did come. His QBR was bottom 3 in the league. He stunk.

Yeah, I don't get the Carr hype at all.

One of the lowest YPA in NFL history and only completed 58% of his passes, he is basically a less accurate Alex Smith.

Totally Bolted 07-24-2015 07:59 PM

The hype is Carr is a pretty athletic and its thought that his athletism will allow him to get better esp if he can keep his INT's down.

Not advocating either way.
He's the best they have had in awhile.