The Official Los Angeles Chargers Forum

The Official Los Angeles Chargers Forum (https://forums.chargers.com/index.php)
-   Around the NFL (https://forums.chargers.com/forumdisplay.php?f=142)
-   -   Vincent Jackson Going Off Again (https://forums.chargers.com/showthread.php?t=95784)

chargertom 10-21-2012 09:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by physicsgeek (Post 4001170)
Remember, the Giants were 9-1 the following year before Plex mid-season left and 3-4 (including play-off lost) after. It took some time before they recovered.

Hopefully it works out that way for us again. I remember the big holes that guys have left on our roster when they've left. And it seems that sooner or later, someone steps up to replace them.

Take Gaither for MM, example.

It's just how football is.

Since Merriman, we haven't really had a dominant, disruptive pass rusher. But now we have Ingram, and some others who could make us good up front again.

physicsgeek 10-21-2012 10:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chargertom (Post 4001182)
Hopefully it works out that way for us again. I remember the big holes that guys have left on our roster when they've left. And it seems that sooner or later, someone steps up to replace them.

Take Gaither for MM, example.

It's just how football is.

Since Merriman, we haven't really had a dominant, disruptive pass rusher. But now we have Ingram, and some others who could make us good up front again.

Definitely. However, timing is also very important.
-Sometimes you'll have an awesome line, but horrible QB.
-Sometimes awesome wideout, horrible QB
-Maybe awesome QB, horrible WR's.
And etc.

Now if they do get another top tier WR, will it be at a time that's too late for PR?

Atleast they were able to pick-up Gaither though, now only if he can stay healthy.

However, I think now the timing is right to draft defense. As of right now, they have some awesome defensive ends in Reyes and Luiget that move/collapse the pocket and even rush the passer, Ingram has a lot of potential and next season will no longer be a rookie, Butler is becoming a monster, and Weddle is already an elite safety. If they don't extend SP or Barnes hopefully they'll get an awesome pass rusher in this draft. Bonus if that pass rusher was also a good all-around defender. Then they can really have fun with Ingram.

If they get a good corner, maybe even get lucky with a shutdown corner this defense can be dominant. But they'd have to make sure to sign them to keep them on the team! Hopefully we don't lose any picks to this "sticky substance" thing.

In the end, "It's ok to make mistakes, as long as you learn from it." You don't learn by always being right afterall. Yeah, VJ is long gone and but we can also look back and wonder or sulk a little.
Let's get some defense now though!

chargertom 10-21-2012 10:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by physicsgeek (Post 4001197)
Let's get some defense now though!

I'm kinda hoping that they find us some stud Oline help. Yeah, a good corner could go a long ways towards helping the D. But other than that I think the pieces are there.

The Oline, on the other hand, still feels mix and match, and lacking alot in protecting PR.

physicsgeek 10-21-2012 10:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chargertom (Post 4001201)
I'm kinda hoping that they find us some stud Oline help. Yeah, a good corner could go a long ways towards helping the D. But other than that I think the pieces are there.

The Oline, on the other hand, still feels mix and match, and lacking alot in protecting PR.

Ahhh, o-line is another hole they need to fix. The good news is Gaither can be one of the best LT's in the league if he stays healthy.

It's a deep draft though, first three rounds can solve the CB, part of the o-line, pass rusher problem.

Maybe make another move or two in FA too.

chargertom 10-21-2012 10:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by physicsgeek (Post 4001214)
Ahhh, o-line is another hole they need to fix. The good news is Gaither can be one of the best LT's in the league if he stays healthy.

It's a deep draft though, first three rounds can solve the CB, part of the o-line, pass rusher problem.

Maybe make another move or two in FA too.

It'll be another interesting off season, that's for sure.

No telling what's going to happen. :crazy:

guerro619 10-21-2012 10:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by physicsgeek (Post 4001171)
And how many games have we won because Rivers, Jackson, Gates, or LT had monster games?

I should word it differently, although similarly. One player may not guarantee a win, nor really win games, but when they put up #'s it helps the team more than hurts. Maybe even elevates them to wins.

If a team plays well and has huge stats, more than naught they will win. But this is based on only one player having a huge game. Jackson so far is not a difference maker. He hasn't carried his team on to victory.

Bucball12 10-21-2012 10:42 PM

Thank you so much for vincent jackson. He has helped with Freeman's development. but i am pissed about not him scoring on that 95 yd catch and run.

muffindonut72 10-22-2012 12:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ImGoinToJackson (Post 4000554)
Good call AJ, good call. Looks like VJ having a career day.

Would the Chargers be better off with VJ on the roster? Yup, but not at the price it would have cost to keep him.

Clint Beastwood 10-22-2012 01:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bolt4Life (Post 4000655)
Robert Meachem, Eddie Royal, McClain, Gaither, & J. Johnson > VJ

yeah, Robert Meachem, especially Royal and Gaither have really stepped up this season, where would we be with out them....

Clint Beastwood 10-22-2012 01:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chargertom (Post 4001217)
It'll be another interesting off season, that's for sure.

No telling what's going to happen. :crazy:

ah yes, looks like we are closing in on the end of the Beathard era when we would look forward to the off-season during week six...