The Official Los Angeles Chargers Forum

The Official Los Angeles Chargers Forum (https://forums.chargers.com/index.php)
-   Bolt News (https://forums.chargers.com/forumdisplay.php?f=163)
-   -   USA Today ranks Bolts as top D Line (https://forums.chargers.com/showthread.php?t=106371)

sonorajim 07-12-2017 01:54 PM

USA Today ranks Bolts as top D Line

http://www.chargers.com/news/2017/07...defensive-line

Looks like I'm not the only one who likes our DL. :Cheers:

Quote:

USA Today Ranks Bolts as NFL's Top Defensive Line
Wednesday, July 12, 2017 1:19 PM PDT
By Ricky Henne

As the calendar inches closer to the start of training camp, analysis and predictions throughout the NFL continue to heat up regarding the 2017 campaign.

On Wednesday, USA Today’s Nate Davis ranked all 32 defensive lines.

His top choice was none other than your Los Angeles Chargers, as he convincingly made the case for the unit as the best in the business:

“1. Los Angeles Chargers: Defensive rookie of the year Joey Bosa finished with 10 ½ sacks in just 12 games. He and newly minted Melvin Ingram, who's converting from linebacker, could give J.J. Watt and Jadeveon Clowney serious competition as the league's top end tandem. Ex-Seahawk Brandon Mebane's reunion with new DC Gus Bradley means he should be more comfortable in the middle. And if a lighter, healthier Corey Liuget rebounds in a scheme players typically love, this could be a special quartet.”

What Davis didn’t mention was the impressive depth the Bolts possess behind those starters. Re-signing Damion Square and Tenny Palepoi was a priority this offseason, and the team locked them up in March. They join the likes of Caraun Reid, Jerry Attaochu, Darius Philon, Ryan Carrethers, Chris McCain and others who only add to the Bolts’ formidable defensive line.

woodeye2000 07-12-2017 02:07 PM

Eye was scolded--chastised even--for daring to suggest that DL is our deepest position.

You can now refer to me as "Your Snideness."

sonorajim 07-12-2017 02:20 PM

PFF ranks us #11 Front Seven.
What the heck? can't these guys get together?

https://www.boltsfromtheblue.com/201...misses-top-ten

PFF: Chargers Front Seven Just Misses Top Ten

The Chargers front seven performed well above expectations last season. Will that become a trend?
by Ryan Doyle@RDoyle27 Jul 12, 2017, 12:49pm PDT

As Pro Football Focus continues ranking the position groups for each team, the Los Angeles Chargers front seven landed in the 11th spot in PFF’s recent projections.

This is a pretty optimistic ranking for a team that has had issues defensively the past two seasons. Of course, the defense was strong last season once Joey Bosa arrived, but the defense didn’t garner any national recognition.

Here is what PFF’s Louie Benjamin had to say about the Chargers ranking.

The Chargers found a diamond in the rough in 2016 fifth round pick Jatavis Brown, who finished as the 27th highest graded linebacker. They also have an outstanding pair of edge-rushers in Joey Bosa and Melvin Ingram, who finished as the fifth and sixth highest graded players at their position last year (Bosa’s first), respectively. Former first round pick Corey Liuget has had an up-and-down career, but last year posted the worst grade of his career since his rookie year at 49.3. If Liuget can improve from last year, this group could easily be on the rise.

The analysis here is sound. The Chargers boast a young front seven that has a very high ceiling. Joey Bosa and Jatavis Brown both can become leaders for this unit and should continue to ride the wave of their rookie year success.

This unit also has a trio of veterans that are going to be asked to do less in 2017. Corey Liuget is going to be freed up as opponents focus on Bosa on the opposite side. Same goes for veteran nose tackle Brandon Mebane, who played well before going down with an injury mid-way through last season.

The key this season is Melvin Ingram. The defensive line should be in a great spot next season but the linebacking corps could become an issue. Not so much at inside linebacker. Brown, Korey Toomer, and Denzel Perryman all look to be solid options, but the depth chart is paper thin at outside linebacker.

For the outside linebackers to have a successful 2017, Ingram needs to play at his best. Kyle Emanuel is very good against the run, but Ingram appears to be the only reliable pass rusher at the position. There’s a slim chance the Jeremiah Attaochu figures it out, but that doesn’t seem realistic.

With the defensive line and inside linebacker positions looking stout, and a premiere pass rusher in the mix, it’s no wonder why the Chargers front seven looks good on paper.

Like always, the success of this unit depends on health. There’s no debating that this team has the talent of a top-ten front seven. The question remains, will that talent be playing on Sundays?

Fudge 07-12-2017 02:54 PM

I live in Denver, so I made it a point to post this article at a few of my co-workers desk. God I can't wait for week 1!

SDCPB 07-12-2017 03:50 PM

Different strokes for different folks.

Damage Inc 07-12-2017 05:13 PM

Pre-season rankings mean nothing, producing on the field when it counts does, but it is nice that people outside the organization recognize the improvement. I have said it before, but I think Liuget is going to bounce back with a monster year. At 27 years old I think his best football is still ahead of him.

If the DL is in the top 10 come seasons end then the Bolts will be in the playoffs. The front 4 sets the tone for the whole defense. Pressure allows the back 7 to make plays.

Also, the Chargers play teams ranked in the bottom 11 (based on the USA Today rankings) a total of 9 times. Raiders, Broncos & Chiefs 6x & the Redskins, Cowboys & Browns. That should benefit the rebuilt OL.

I AMazing I 07-12-2017 07:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fudge (Post 4752470)
I live in Denver, so I made it a point to post this article at a few of my co-workers desk. God I can't wait for week 1!

Well done.

Brownie points for Fudge.

frozendisc 07-12-2017 08:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by woodeye2000 (Post 4752466)
Eye was scolded--chastised even--for daring to suggest that DL is our deepest position.

You and USA Today both deserve to be scolded for your foolishly wild statements of evaluations......

This defence is full of marginal, poorly coached, low talented players. They are going nowhere.....no worries Donks, easy first game for whomever ends up being your QB.

woodeye2000 07-13-2017 04:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by woodeye2000 (Post 4752466)

Quote:

Originally Posted by frozendisc (Post 4752488)
You and USA Today both deserve to be scolded for your foolishly wild statements of evaluations......

This defence is full of marginal, poorly coached, low talented players. They are going nowhere.....no worries Donks, easy first game for whomever ends up being your QB.

What about PFFffft ?
PFFffft has our front 7 @ upper percentile !!!!

You can publically humiliate woodeye.
You can degrade USA Today.
But do not disparage, do not disrespect PFFffft.
Don't go there...

It appears the passenger list
On the Ship of Fools
Is getting bigger and bigger...

Like a grade B piece of meat
At a Montreal steakhouse
Philon will be
A tough cut...

:ranger:

sonorajim 07-13-2017 07:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by frozendisc (Post 4752488)

You are very general in your opinion. Since this thread is regards DL, allegedly the NFL's best, who among Bosa-Mebane -Liuget-Ingram fills the DL with marginal, poorly coached (? we haven't seen them play for this DC), low talented players?