The Official Los Angeles Chargers Forum

The Official Los Angeles Chargers Forum (https://forums.chargers.com/index.php)
-   Draft Talk (https://forums.chargers.com/forumdisplay.php?f=152)
-   -   How do we save Rivers, Mathews, and get back in the play offs next year? (https://forums.chargers.com/showthread.php?t=96642)

country boy 12-07-2012 03:35 PM

How do we save Rivers, Mathews, and get back in the play offs next year?

First we go after OG Andy Levitre in FA. Next we swap our first round pick to Texans for their first 2 & 3 round picks plus OG/C Ben Jones. With the # 32 pick we take OG/C/OT Barrett Jones. Donít get me wrong I havenít gave up on OT Gaither at all just want some top notch back up. With the # 41 pick take OT lane Johnson. This takes care of the OL for next year, with plenty of back up. Should be able to protect Rivers and open holes for Mathews. With pick # 64 take CB Carrington Byndom. With pick # 71 DE/OLB Sean Porter. With pick # 94 S Phillip Thomas. We may have to trade some later round picks to jockey around to where we can fill our needs. We are a lot better than weíre made out to be.

Kemp17 12-07-2012 03:46 PM

I am all about signing Levitre. Love him. My top FA for us this offseason. But that's where you lose me. I would be so ticked if we traded our really high first round pick for a low 2nd, low 3rd, and a C/G who has been routinely abused this season.

country boy 12-07-2012 04:02 PM

The way I see it we've got so many needs we can't come close to getting it done with a high 1. We need as many picks in the top three rounds as we can get. Jones was a true center coming out of collage, in six games he was starting as OG, called the assignments in collage, never missed a game. We use him as a OG here and insurance for Hardwick. Not many rookies play a new position and become a starter by mid season, and this is the Texans he's done it with.

Kemp17 12-07-2012 04:27 PM

A lot of fans are going to want us to somehow trade around and get enough picks that we get address all our needs in the top two rounds. It's not realistic. And our first is going to be worth sooooo much more than their 2nd, 3rd, and Jones. If we trade back at all (I don't want to), it should only be a few slots so we can still land some upper echelon talent.

flwelshman 12-07-2012 04:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kemp17 (Post 4045797)
A lot of fans are going to want us to somehow trade around and get enough picks that we get address all our needs in the top two rounds. It's not realistic. And our first is going to be worth sooooo much more than their 2nd, 3rd, and Jones. If we trade back at all (I don't want to), it should only be a few slots so we can still land some upper echelon talent.

And even more importantly, as you pointed out in referencing Houston's draft slot, theoretically the drop in talent from the top 10 of a round to the last 8 picks, depending on what Houston does in the playoffs, is tremendous. A truly bad...bad...bad idea.

I could see dropping a few spots in the first if our main guy(s) are taken...depending on what's on the board, who's drafting behind us, and whether or not we think the next guy we want is going to be there, but that's a gamble too. We need QUALITY on this team, not quantity. We have plenty of quantity right now, which is one of the reasons for our record.

MrNAFTA 12-07-2012 04:51 PM

Quote:

Yeah even the Texans 1st would be more of a high 2nd round pick value for us. We would have to be damn sure that the teams picking before us, after a trade down, have no interest in Lewan to do that. Then we also have to be damn sure that we also don't move so far back another team can move in front of us to take the 2nd best OT, or that we have a solid backup plan if the top 2 tackles are off the board. Trading down always sounds good to people at first, who doesn't want more draft picks right?

country boy 12-07-2012 04:59 PM

I don't think we need a big push, just a good nudge to get us back to being a play off contender. I do reserve the right to change my mind at any time. Walter has us slotted in at # 6 pick and that is in the high impact player zone, just not ready to change my mind yet.

andocug 12-07-2012 05:00 PM

Quote:

So much will happen between now and draft day. A top 10 pick (or two) will slide down the draft while a mid to bottom 1st round prospect or two will be taken in the top 10. Trading down may ultimately be the right or wrong move but it's still so early. Sadly, the draft is all I (and several others) are looking forward to at this point.

It's going to be interesting to see who the next HC and GM will be as it will affect our offensive and defensive schemes. Changing to a 4-3 D or a run first offense would change the type of players we seek out.

I'm hoping we can take an OT with our 1st pick and an OG with our 2nd pick. I'm open to the idea of trading down but it needs be the right fit. Getting Levitre would be awesome but he likely won't leave Buffalo and if he does we'll have to overpay.

Hopefully we can find a stud OLB or CB in free agency but our best bet will be to draft and develop them. Odds are the free agents we'll find will be stopgap players.

This is going to be an exciting offseason indeed...but first we'll have to suffer through more poor offense and a few more losses.

pacstud 12-07-2012 05:33 PM

Can we stow the Levitre talk until he actually becomes an FA?

Guy will be resigned, book it.

The rest of the theory was a great and entertaining read.

flwelshman 12-07-2012 05:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pacstud22 (Post 4045847)
Can we stow the Levitre talk until he actually becomes an FA?

Guy will be resigned, book it.

The rest of the theory was a great and entertaining read.

I agree with that.