Chargers Header
Forum Home News Media Vault Schedule Team Charger Girls Tickets Fan Zone Community En Espaņol Fantasy Football Pro Shop

Go Back   The Official Los Angeles Chargers Forum > Chargers Talk > General Discussions
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 12-12-2012, 10:19 AM
Veteran

i've been defending this guy to death, and i'm tired of doing it.

i was saying it's a new system and a new position for him on a team in turmoil. i would say we should give him a break. i even still justified his salary, hoping he'd prove worthy even if just for one game. i never got that game, and i'm done defending him.

i absolutely loved his game when he was at tennessee. i was so mad NO grabbed him before we had time to save ourselves the embarrassment of reaching for buster. then i loved watching him burn DB's while brees threw him dart after dart, first down after first down, TD after TD.

and this is what we have. dude got paid and got LAY-ZEE. there, i said it. danario alexander totally made me switch opinions on this guy. if danario could come in and produce like he has, despite so much discord occurring with this team (specifically on offense), then there is no justifying meachem's play, his salary, and of course his production.

i'm not throwing in the towel, but i'm finally admitting he has not delivered. at all. and if he doesn't by the end of this season, i think loooong and hard about getting rid of him. we don't need dead weight eating away at our cap year in and year out.
Old 12-12-2012, 10:41 AM
Hall of Famer

There will be changes at Chargers Park. I'd bring Meachem in to OTCs and training camp. He has some talent and we're on the hook for some cap money anyway. See what the new coaches think of his effort and potential.
Old 12-12-2012, 11:05 AM
Hall of Famer

I would trade him and every other under performer for a 6th round pick. Cut our losses now! Just get his bloated salary and his lazy butt out of here.
Old 12-12-2012, 11:43 AM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonorajim View Post
There will be changes at Chargers Park. I'd bring Meachem in to OTCs and training camp. He has some talent and we're on the hook for some cap money anyway. See what the new coaches think of his effort and potential.
Agreed. It simply doesn't make sense. Meachem from all accounts is a hard working player. I have no idea why he is in Norv's doghouse. The fact that we'll play literally any off the street WR ahead of him speaks volumes.

If the new leadership deems him a bad fit, then we can try to trade him. If there are no takers, then we let him compete for a roster spot next season. He's too talented to hardly see the field.
Old 12-12-2012, 11:47 AM
Hall of Famer

Meachem is a lazy route runner PERIOD. He does not come back to the ball on the 5 route, that is pop warner level stuff. He doesn't go up and fight for the ball, PR (for all his faults) gives his WR's a chance to make plays, he is not interested using his body.
Old 12-12-2012, 12:39 PM
hey yo phil...

the book was out on meachem before we brought him in people were talking about how the knock on him coming out of college was that he is not a "hands catcher" but a body catcher.

some said he got over the problem in NO. i bought that he worked on his hands, and has become a better receiver.

but the truth is that he is a body catcher and always will be,
and that is not what rivers needs in this offense.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Just like the country song goes, This aint nothing" - P.Rivers

NFL PLEASE STOP THE PLAY 60 BUS COMMERCIAL! IT SUCKS AND IS ANNOYING! 3 YEARS IS TO MUCH!!
Old 12-12-2012, 12:51 PM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fouts-Fan View Post
I am not defending Meachem but why on the CMB are people willing to cut/dump Meachem this quickly before he gets a coach that utilizes his talents? But so many here twist themselves into pretzels to defend the indefensible Larry English?
I don't think Rivers and Meachum are a good fit. Rivers flings it up there and lets his WR go get the ball. Meachum is not that kind of a receiver; he seems to needs a QB to put the ball *right* on him, and if it's 6 inches off target, he's not going to catch it or go up for it. I don't think that coaching is going to change much.

I don't know what to think about Rivers; we know that he is or at least was capable of playing at an elite level, though he hasn't done that in the last 2 years. I am willing to continue with Rivers at QB if we can upgrade the O-line to even a serviceable level, and it's much easier to replace a WR (and really, we have essentially replaced Meachum, and with WRs off the street) than it is to replace a QB.
Old 12-12-2012, 01:00 PM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by muffindonut72 View Post
Meacham is a slot receiver and not very big. How is he supposed to fight for jump balls?

Granted, he dropped a ball he should have caught in Cleveland. Still, he is nowhere near the disaster at wide receiver as Rivers is at QB.

It is funny, that people keep bringing up the one dropped ball at Cleveland, but few people bring up the horrible play of Rivers. Instead they blame the offensive line for Rivers' poor play. Rivers is a "franchise" QB that is rarely held accountable for anything.
Meachem is 6-2 215, he is the same size as Michael Irvin....it is not like he is Wes Welker or Victor Cruz.
Old 12-12-2012, 01:03 PM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Game3524 View Post
Meachem is 6-2 215, he is the same size as Michael Irvin....it is not like he is Wes Welker or Victor Cruz.
Check out Sunday how all 5'10" (if that) of Steve Smith goes up and fights for balls.

We signed Meachem to be our number one WR, not a slot guy.
Old 12-12-2012, 01:10 PM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by NavyDevil6110 View Post
Check out Sunday how all 5'10" (if that) of Steve Smith goes up and fights for balls.

We signed Meachem to be our number one WR, not a slot guy.

Yeah, it doesn't matter if your an X, Z, or slot. You have to have the ability to fight for the ball to play in the NFL. It is even more important in the Chargers offense which is built around WR beating man coverage and tight window throws.

I am not saying Rivers is totally excusable, he has to be more accurate. But Meachem hasn't done himself any favors.