Chargers Header
Forum Home News Media Vault Schedule Team Charger Girls Tickets Fan Zone Community En Espaņol Fantasy Football Pro Shop

Go Back   The Official Los Angeles Chargers Forum > Chargers Talk > General Discussions
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 12-21-2012, 04:20 PM
Hall of Famer

We haven't been throwing just jump balls to Alexander. There have been screens, short slants and comebacks with him.

Meachem is simply a limited receiver, that is honest truth about it.
Old 12-21-2012, 04:35 PM
First member of the board

I think Meachem is a deep route guy. That takes time and he's a victim of our o-line problems just like Rivers and our RB's. I really doubt that VJ would have had much of a year if he was still a Charger this year. This team needs a much better o-line if they are hoping to get back on top in the AFCW. I can't imagine that whoever is running the show next season won't be aware that the o-line is our top priority. Forget all the other needs, we must improve the o-line first.

I do want to say this though. At the end of last season, the last five games, they looked pretty darn decent. Gaither did a very fine job and all of us were happy as could be when he was re-signed. His injuries killed this entire o-line because we didn't have a decent backup for him. We blame AJ for Gaither but we all wanted him back. Everyone praised that signing as well as the signing of the Free Agent WR's. None of us foresaw the problems with the WR's and although we were aware that Gaither had back trouble in the past, the evidence of those last five games made us believe we had a very good LOT. - Yet, we all blame AJ for signing him. I don't. I blame him for not adding a good backup at OT.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 12-21-2012, 04:42 PM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chargeroo View Post
We blame AJ for Gaither but we all wanted him back. Everyone praised that signing as well as the signing of the Free Agent WR's. None of us foresaw the problems with the WR's and although we were aware that Gaither had back trouble in the past, the evidence of those last five games made us believe we had a very good LOT. - Yet, we all blame AJ for signing him. I don't. I blame him for not adding a good backup at OT.
Yes but Gaither had a history and AJ chose to ignore it as did the fan base. You can forgive the ever hopeful fan base but the GM really should know better and have a contingency plan.

Can't agree about the WRs. Plenty of people didn't drink the kool aid AJ and Norv were serving up about Meachem. He'd never been a #1 in NO and they were both saying he could fulfill that role for us. It was wishful thinking without a basis. Again, just like Gaither, history don't lie.

In fact, you could say the same about Norv and his history but that's been said 100 times.

You can't expect players or coaches to come to San Diego and somehow drink from the magic elixir of the San Diego river and perform better than they ever have before. Yet the FO makes that mistake repeatedly
Old 12-21-2012, 04:47 PM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Moekid View Post
Yes but Gaither had a history and AJ chose to ignore it as did the fan base. You can forgive the ever hopeful fan base but the GM really should know better and have a contingency plan.

Can't agree about the WRs. Plenty of people didn't drink the kool aid AJ and Norv were serving up about Meachem. He'd never been a #1 in NO and they were both saying he could fulfill that role for us. It was wishful thinking without a basis. Again, just like Gaither, history don't lie.

In fact, you could say the same about Norv and his history but that's been said 100 times.

You can't expect players or coaches to come to San Diego and somehow drink from the magic elixir of the San Diego river and perform better than they ever have before. Yet the FO makes that mistake repeatedly
Agree to some degree. But really we had no choice at the time. We could have perhaps drafted an OT and then people would have been outraged over not taking a rush lb. As for the backups Roo is right on. We saw and knew already that our backup LTs were not up to the task and AJ did nothing to improve that situation.
Old 12-21-2012, 04:53 PM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by charger1_sj View Post
Agree to some degree. But really we had no choice at the time. We could have perhaps drafted an OT and then people would have been outraged over not taking a rush lb. As for the backups Roo is right on. We saw and knew already that our backup LTs were not up to the task and AJ did nothing to improve that situation.
yup. that's what I mean by contingency plan
Old 12-21-2012, 05:32 PM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Game3524 View Post
We haven't been throwing just jump balls to Alexander. There have been screens, short slants and comebacks with him.

Meachem is simply a limited receiver, that is honest truth about it.
The Chargers have a limited QB. I don't think Meacham is a limited receiver at all. Did he drop a ball that he should have caught in Cleveland? Yup. But, he has made far fewer mistakes than Rivers has this season. Rivers is able to throw to big slow plodding receivers. He seems to have issues passing the ball to fast slot receivers so that they can catch it in stride. A receiver streaking down the field isn't going to be able to rapidly adjust to one of Rivers "in the neighborhood" throws.

I don't know how many times I have seen Rivers make the simplest of throws almost impossible for the receivers/tight ends to catch them. I don't know how many times I have seen Gates have to adjust to one of Rivers throw the balls in the area and let the receiver/tight end deal with it type thorws. Yeah, more times than not Gates is able to catch those balls, but if Rivers was more accurate, the defense wouldn't have time to adjust.

Does Rivers have an easier time throwing to Alexander? Yes, because he is a big target.

Would Meacham be more successful with a competent accurate QB like Brady or Manning throwing to him? Yes.
Old 12-21-2012, 05:48 PM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by muffindonut72 View Post
The Chargers have a limited QB. I don't think Meacham is a limited receiver at all. Did he drop a ball that he should have caught in Cleveland? Yup. But, he has made far fewer mistakes than Rivers has this season. Rivers is able to throw to big slow plodding receivers. He seems to have issues passing the ball to fast slot receivers so that they can catch it in stride. A receiver streaking down the field isn't going to be able to rapidly adjust to one of Rivers "in the neighborhood" throws.

I don't know how many times I have seen Rivers make the simplest of throws almost impossible for the receivers/tight ends to catch them. I don't know how many times I have seen Gates have to adjust to one of Rivers throw the balls in the area and let the receiver/tight end deal with it type thorws. Yeah, more times than not Gates is able to catch those balls, but if Rivers was more accurate, the defense wouldn't have time to adjust.

Does Rivers have an easier time throwing to Alexander? Yes, because he is a big target.

Would Meacham be more successful with a competent accurate QB like Brady or Manning throwing to him? Yes.
PR has had no problem throwing to smallish receivers like Chris Chambers, Vincent Brown, and Patrick Crayton.

The difference is all three run precise routes, come back to the QB, and most importantly fight for the ball.

I am getting sick of the Meachum excuses. Unless the ball drops right into his hands while running a go route.

The bottom line is he is NOT a polished receiver. He has a lot of work to do in the offseason if he is going to contribute next year.

We will see sunday if he has dedicated himself to his craft
Old 12-21-2012, 05:57 PM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by NavyDevil6110 View Post
PR has had no problem throwing to smallish receivers like Chris Chambers, Vincent Brown, and Patrick Crayton.

The difference is all three run precise routes, come back to the QB, and most importantly fight for the ball.

I am getting sick of the Meachum excuses. Unless the ball drops right into his hands while running a go route.

The bottom line is he is NOT a polished receiver. He has a lot of work to do in the offseason if he is going to contribute next year.

We will see sunday if he has dedicated himself to his craft
Exactly.

The Chargers run a ton of iso routes and unless your a physical specimen like Vincent Jackson or Antonio Gates in his prime, then you better be a damn good route runner.

Rivers track record when it comes to smaller WR speaks for itself. He has had success with Chambers, McCardell, Brown, hell even Tutu is about the same size as Meachem and has had a good rapport with Rivers.
Old 12-21-2012, 06:41 PM
Fan since '68

Meachem started out good and then fizzled away. Kind of like the guy that throws him the ball.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 12-21-2012, 06:42 PM

Meachem and Rivers did not have enough time and practice to build chemistry it seems like. Not to mention Norv never designed any good plays for Meachem and Royal. Slants, wide receiver screens, more crossing routes etc.