Chargers Header
Forum Home News Media Vault Schedule Team Charger Girls Tickets Fan Zone Community En Espaņol Fantasy Football Pro Shop

Go Back   The Official Los Angeles Chargers Forum > Chargers Talk > General Discussions
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: Who do you want as our new HC, if Norv is replaced?
Ken Whisenhunt 22 6.67%
Chip Kelly 52 15.76%
Pat Shurmer 0 0%
Bruce Arian 61 18.48%
Andy Reid 21 6.36%
Vic Fangio 9 2.73%
Mike Zimmer 21 6.36%
Mike Holmgren 17 5.15%
Jon Gruden 115 34.85%
Lovie Smith 12 3.64%
Voters: 330. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-18-2012, 07:28 AM
Green text is the worst

Quote:
Originally Posted by muffindonut72 View Post
I agree with you. That is why I wanted them to fire Norv and promote Bisaccia to see if there is any positive change in the team. Of course the message that has popped on the CMB was, "who would run the offense?". I don't have an answer for that and it would have been a valid question to ask. If Norv was fired, then who runs the offense?
Oftentimes interim coaches do get positive results, but don't turn out to be good head coaches. Look at Crennell last year. Firing Haley and promoting Romeo galvanized the team, but come 2013 he showed he really wasn't up to the task.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 12-18-2012, 07:31 AM
Green text is the worst

Quote:
I have changed my mind on this. I want a head coach who delegates authority. I don't want a head coach to have his hands in only one aspect of the team. I want him to oversee his entire staff and look at the big picture. He can direct his staff as he sees fit, but I don't want him to get caught up in the day to day minutia that his coaching staff should be handling.

The defense for this team is playing okay at times. The offense really has problems. If the Chargers insist on hiring a new HC who has a specialty in only one area of the game, I would rather have it be on offense.
Almost every NFL head coach available has a specialty in only one area of the game. There aren't many (or any) guys with offensive and defensive NFL backgrounds. What you want to avoid is a guy who insists on running every aspect of his side of the ball right on down to playcalling on Sundays.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 12-18-2012, 07:37 AM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kemp17 View Post
Oftentimes interim coaches do get positive results, but don't turn out to be good head coaches. Look at Crennell last year. Firing Haley and promoting Romeo galvanized the team, but come 2013 he showed he really wasn't up to the task.
True enough, but if they were going to fire Norv, there was no way that they would have brought someone in from the outside. They just needed someone to finish out the season. After that, the Chargers could cast a wide net and see if they could find someone that they could bring in to right the ship.

If the Chargers consider Bisaccia a legitimate HC candidate, they should have just elevated him and see how the team responds. Granted, there is no guarantee that he is the answer to the Chargers problems, but at least the Chargers would have at least some info on how Bisaccia would run the team.

Again as I have said above in a previous post. I want the new HC to lead the team and delegate authority. I don't want him getting caught up in calling plays on the sideline.
Old 12-18-2012, 07:47 AM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kemp17 View Post
Almost every NFL head coach available has a specialty in only one area of the game. There aren't many (or any) guys with offensive and defensive NFL backgrounds. What you want to avoid is a guy who insists on running every aspect of his side of the ball right on down to playcalling on Sundays.
Agreed. Tomlin doesn't call plays, does he? I could be wrong on this, but I thought for the most part the DC called the defensive coverages and the OC called the offensive plays in Pittsburgh.

I think what hurts Norv, is that he seems to be the combination of OC/HC. If he wanted to be the HC, then be the HC. Let the OC call the plays. I just don't think Norv handles multitasking very well at all.
Old 12-18-2012, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NavyDevil6110 View Post
Man, I hope you are wrong...there is no way Norv gets fired before the season ends and Bisaccia gets the job whe Dean had a chance to audition him for a few games it would really accentuate how poorly the FO operates...
I don't get the Bisaccia love for HC. Two blocked punts in a single season eliminates him, imo. Shouldn't have any blocked punts, let alone two.

"We confide in our strength, without boasting of it; we respect that of others, without fearing it." Thomas Jefferson

"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power." Abraham Lincoln
Old 12-18-2012, 09:24 AM

How the crap do more people want Ken Whisenhunt than Nick Saban.
Old 12-18-2012, 09:25 AM
San Diego

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmboltsfan View Post
How the crap do more people want Ken Whisenhunt than Nick Saban.
How do people want either of them?!

Old 12-18-2012, 09:29 AM
Hall of Famer

We probably need to prepare ourselves for a very unpopular pick...

With any luck, it will be an upgrade from Norv and AJ.

I remember when USC got Pete Carroll, I was laughing, the alumni and fans were close to rioting (he was the 4th pick...Mike Riley was ahead of him LOL) and look what he did. Seahawk fans were to thrilled either when he came aboard...

Either way, change will be good.
Old 12-18-2012, 12:25 PM
Norv 2017 : The Resurrect

how about Bill Johnston?
Old 12-18-2012, 12:44 PM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Agreed. Tomlin doesn't call plays, does he? I could be wrong on this, but I thought for the most part the DC called the defensive coverages and the OC called the offensive plays in Pittsburgh.

I think what hurts Norv, is that he seems to be the combination of OC/HC. If he wanted to be the HC, then be the HC. Let the OC call the plays. I just don't think Norv handles multitasking very well at all.
Exactly!!! My feeling too. He should be a head coach. All the coaches report to him with their plans. Norv should of been coaching and mentoring the coaches and overseeing the whole team. It appears he didn't trust his coaches or isn't a good teacher/leader. But he seems to be a really nice guy. Unfortunately, his team failed to push themselves. Where great head coaches know when to push their players.