Chargers Header
Forum Home News Media Vault Schedule Team Charger Girls Tickets Fan Zone Community En Español Fantasy Football Pro Shop

Go Back   The Official Los Angeles Chargers Forum > Chargers Talk > Free Agents/Trade Talk
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 01-19-2013, 05:20 PM
Hall of Famer

Of the above mentioned FA's,
Bush and Bowe makes the most sense.Also signing Jammer wouldn't hurt either.
Old 01-19-2013, 11:56 PM
Paradise is on the left.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeMcRugby View Post
ESPN and all other media outlets reported the following regarding Marcus McNeill's contract extension in October 2010:

Kevin Acee broke down the contract and explained what "guaranteed" really means:

So despite McNeill being "guaranteed" $24 million, he only received $12.235 million before getting cut before the 2012 league year started.

It's hard to imagine that the Chargers didn't sign Gaither to a similar deal given The Big Lazy's past injury history and repuation for giving less than full effort in college and for the Ravens.

Bottom line is that the $5 million for Gaither is going to be freed up when the new brass inevitably cuts him loose before the start of the league year in March 2013.
One would hope this is the case, Joe. That being said, at the time of McNeil's contract, we still had Dielman and the prospects of having a pretty decent OL. Also, due to the lockout situation, the Chargers were in no way worried about losing McNeil and thus more able to play hardball with him...which they did, BTW. With Gaither they did not enjoy the luxury of dealing from a position of strength, which I'm sure they would have liked to have been able to do. We can talk all we want about how could they give him the contract they did, since we all knew his history, but the fact remains that barring that history, on a talent basis he was by far the most talented OT on the market and all hopes were pinned on him "getting it" and maintaining the level of play that earned him that contract to begin with. Since he was a UFA with several other suitors, I believe...but do not know for sure...that it would have been extremely difficult for the Chargers to try and dictate terms to him that give them the contract protections they were able to dictate to and negotiate with McNeil. One must also remember that we had no OLT, and no OLG at that point, and combined with other teams vying for his services, the Chargers were in a position of having to put up, or shut up. Real simple, IMO.

So while I understand what you're insinuating on the guarantees perhaps not being what they appeared to be in McNeil's case, the Gaither situation is an entirely different case. Again, I can't honestly say I know the intimate details of his contract with the Chargers, only what's been widely publicized and assumed. Thus my cap projections have all been based on those numbers.
Old 01-20-2013, 03:42 AM
Hall of Famer

Somehow, out of all those RBs, I like Brandon Jacobs for depth.

He might be 30, but he hasn't play much the last few years, so less wear and tear.

Bush is an intriguing option, he could fill Sproles' role. A home-town discount maybe? Time for him to come home to SD.

Knowshon Moreno might asks too much money as former 1st rd pick.
However, knowing he is now 2nd in Denver's depth chart, and McCoy is now our HC, we might stand a chance of luring him here, knowing that he could have a chance of being #1 with all that happened with Mathews.

Other than that, Kenny Phillips alongisde Weddle.

As much as I want Dwayne Bowe, it's just not happening. We tied up too much money on Royal and Meachem already, and we have enough depth so far, assuming we retain Ajirotutu and Danario.

I'd take either one of these: Branden Albert, Gosder Cherilus, Jake Long.

Not really sold on any of these CB...
Old 01-20-2013, 05:26 AM
bolts4ever

I think NT SS and 1 starting OL .
Casey Hampton fron Pittsburgh would be a really solid pickup NT
And I pray to God we get in the Jake Long sweepstakes thats if we cut Gaither.
Old 01-20-2013, 07:51 AM
Green text is the worst

Quote:
Originally Posted by bolts4ever View Post
I think NT SS and 1 starting OL .
Casey Hampton fron Pittsburgh would be a really solid pickup NT
And I pray to God we get in the Jake Long sweepstakes thats if we cut Gaither.
Aubrayo Franklin was actually better than Hampton in 2012 and he's younger. Jake Long has been below average for two full seasons now due to his balky knees. I wouldn't give him a big contract.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 01-22-2013, 01:17 PM
Pollyana-ish Homer Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by flwelshman View Post
One would hope this is the case, Joe. That being said, at the time of McNeil's contract, we still had Dielman and the prospects of having a pretty decent OL. Also, due to the lockout situation, the Chargers were in no way worried about losing McNeil and thus more able to play hardball with him...which they did, BTW. With Gaither they did not enjoy the luxury of dealing from a position of strength, which I'm sure they would have liked to have been able to do. We can talk all we want about how could they give him the contract they did, since we all knew his history, but the fact remains that barring that history, on a talent basis he was by far the most talented OT on the market and all hopes were pinned on him "getting it" and maintaining the level of play that earned him that contract to begin with. Since he was a UFA with several other suitors, I believe...but do not know for sure...that it would have been extremely difficult for the Chargers to try and dictate terms to him that give them the contract protections they were able to dictate to and negotiate with McNeil. One must also remember that we had no OLT, and no OLG at that point, and combined with other teams vying for his services, the Chargers were in a position of having to put up, or shut up. Real simple, IMO.

So while I understand what you're insinuating on the guarantees perhaps not being what they appeared to be in McNeil's case, the Gaither situation is an entirely different case. Again, I can't honestly say I know the intimate details of his contract with the Chargers, only what's been widely publicized and assumed. Thus my cap projections have all been based on those numbers.
The Chargers weren't involved in a great competition for Gaither's services last offseason. Everybody knew about Gaither's history, so protections were going to be taken no matter who signed him.

The important aspect to remember is that Acee used the term "virtually guaranteed" in his tweets. He defined what he meant by "virtually guaranteed" back in his 2010 article.

Here is the twitter exchange a couple of weeks back between Shammy and Acee:

Quote:
Quote:
UTKevinAcee ‏@UTKevinAcee

@jcortizmd The $13.5 million was "virtually" guaranteed. Usually, a player who made $9 mil in 1st yr wouldn't be cut b4 2nd yr.
Quote:
10h Shamrock ‏

@UTKevinAcee Do you have access to the actual contract? The query still stands. Is the 2013 base salary guaranteed or not?
Quote:
8h UTKevinAcee ‏@UTKevinAcee

@Shamrock Let me answer it for you as clearly as I can: The 2013 salary is not guaranteed.
Quote:
Shamrock ‏

@UTKevinAcee Thank you.
Just like Acee had access to information about McNeill's contract (whose future wasn't in question when he wrote his article) while everybody else was spouting $24 million guaranteed, I "guarantee" that Acee had the same access to the details of Gaither's deal (a guy who is pretty much a goner).

Having said that, feel free to wait for official word of the contract details before adjusting your cap space figures.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

You want analysis? Don't ask me: I'm just a Pollyanna lying idiotic know-nothing ball-watching stat boy.

Last edited by JoeMcRugby; 01-22-2013 at 01:25 PM..
Old 01-22-2013, 04:33 PM
God of Thunder+Bolts

I would love to get the Burner back as a 1 - 2 punch with RM.
#1a -- Jalen Ramsey Florida St CB/S 6'1 194lbs
#1b -- Myles Jack UCLA ILB 6'1 245lbs

Early:
Karl Joseph WVU SS 5'10 197lbs
CJ Procise Notre Dame 3rd Down RB/Workhorse RB
Sterling Shepherd Oklahoma Univ Slot WR/KR
Emmanuel Ogbah Oklahoma St 3-4OLB

Middle:
Antwaun Woods USC NT 6'1 320lbs

Late:
Soma Vainuku USC FB/ST 6'0 255 lbs
Jaylon Smith Notre Dame LB/S 6'3 229lbs
Old 01-23-2013, 09:49 AM
Veteran

Stephen Jackson wouldnt be a bad back up.. i could dig it.
Old 01-30-2013, 10:28 AM
Hall of Famer

Default The one free agent that would benefit the Chargers?

If you know more, please ellaborate. This weekend will end offically for football and we as fans, will have to play the waiting game.

Everyone around here seems excited, but we all know that a player or two can really boost the teams chances of a winning season, right?

Go RM (if Norv even let's you)!
Old 01-30-2013, 10:32 AM

In a perfect world Brandon Albert would be the best addition. Self explanatory.