Go Back   The Official Los Angeles Chargers Forum > Chargers Talk > AFC West
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 08-05-2006, 02:03 PM
Podium

Default 2006 Denver Broncos

I'm going to post the schedules, rosters, depth charts, news and notes of all the AFC West rivals (making a thread for each) so that we can keep up to date on the enemy.

2006 Denver Broncos

Sun. Sep. 10 @STL
Sun. Sep. 17 KC
Sun. Sep. 24 @NE (Sunday Night Football-NBC)
Bye Week
Mon. Oct. 9 BAL (Monday Night Football- ESPN)
Sun. Oct. 15 OAK (Sunday Night Football-NBC)
Sun. Oct. 22 @CLE
Sun. Oct. 29 IND
Sun. Nov. 5 @PIT
Sun. Nov. 12 @OAK
Sun. Nov. 19 SD
Thu. Nov. 23 @KC (Thanksgiving Day - NFL network)
Sun. Dec. 3 SEA
Sun. Dec. 10 @SD
Sun. Dec. 17 @ARI
Sun. Dec. 24 CIN
Sun. Dec. 31 SF

(Ind-SD is going to be a tough 7 weeks for them)
Old 08-05-2006, 02:24 PM
Podium

{Roster and depth chart to be inserted later}
Old 08-05-2006, 02:26 PM
Podium

SOURCE: ESPN

Quote:
Broncos' Warren dislocates toe, out 2 to 4 weeks

DENVER -- The jarring scream instantly alerted everyone to the severity of the injury and the packed house at the Denver Broncos' training facility fell silent.

When defensive lineman Gerard Warren fell to the turf and clutched his left foot following a goal-line drill Saturday morning, he hollered and cursed up a blue streak.

"I was real concerned," linebacker Al Wilson said.

But the injury wasn't as bad as it appeared when Warren was first carted off the field. Warren will be out two to four weeks with a dislocated toe. Had it been fractured, the season would've been finished for Warren.

"At first I thought it was an ankle," Wilson said. "When I found out it was a big toe, that was encouraging."

The injury occurred when rookie running back Mike Bell tried to find an opening in the defense from 2 yards out and then bounced outside. It appeared Warren may have been stepped on or someone had fallen on him.
Concern was etched on the faces of coaches and players. Wilson immediately went over to comfort Warren after the injury occurred. So did Courtney Brown.

"He's our horse," defensive end Kenard Lang said. "He's the big horse that pulls this buggy."

That's why Denver signed him to a six-year, $36 million deal in the offseason. They realized his importance. Warren had just three sacks last season, but the Broncos were more than pleased with his ability to stuff the run. Denver's defense was second against the run in the NFL last season.

Given Warren's integral role, the Broncos will take a precautionary approach with Warren. They won't try to rush him back too soon.

"With something like that you want to make sure it's healed before you start working or it's going to linger throughout the season," coach Mike Shanahan said. "I'm not worried about the preseason. It's more important that he is ready for the season. He is an experienced guy.
"Hopefully, Gerard will be ready for the season."

The silver lining with injuries is that it gives someone else a shot. Demetrin Veal stepped into the void created Warren's absence on Saturday.

"Whenever someone goes down, you've got to be able to come in and pick up the slack," said Veal, who had one sack last season. "There can't be a drop off."

A hamstring injury to Champ Bailey during last year's training camp actually proved beneficial to Denver down the road. It allowed then rookie corners Domonique Foxworth and Darrent Williams to log some playing time against receivers like Indy's Marvin Harrison during the preseason.

When they were pressed into action thanks to injuries in the regular season, Williams and Foxworth -- who started 16 games between them -- weren't wide-eyed rookies anymore. They had been game tested.

"They were thrown to the fire and responded well," safety John Lynch said. "Hopefully, it's the same situation."

Given the way Warren screamed, the Broncos feel fortunate it wasn't anything more serious. It sounded much worse.

"It was a [scary moment] for a second," Denver defensive coordinator Larry Coyer said. "We're blessed."

This is the second year in a row Denver has lost a defensive lineman in training camp. Brown dislocated his left elbow on Aug. 4, 2005, but returned in time to play in the final preseason game on Aug. 30.

"We had a situation [with Warren], but it turned out probably the best we could hope for," Coyer said.

The Broncos are hopeful Warren, the third overall choice by Cleveland in the 2001 draft, makes a speedy recovery.

"He's probably going to have to sit out for a little while, but at least we don't lose him for a season," Wilson said.

Old 08-05-2006, 02:30 PM
Podium

SOURCE: NEWSDAY

Quote:
According to a person with knowledge of the situation, the Jets have expressed interest in running back Chris Brown, who has asked the Titans to trade him because of the logjam in their backfield that includes Travis Henry and second-round pick LenDale White (who played for Tennessee offensive coordinator Norm Chow at USC). The Titans haven't given permission to Brown, in the final year of his contract, to negotiate a new deal with another team to facilitate a trade. The Broncos, Dolphins and Rams also have expressed interest in Brown, according to the source.
Old 08-05-2006, 02:32 PM
Podium

SOURCE: Denver Post
Quote:

Plummer's trial set
A trial date for Broncos quarterback Jake Plummer was set Thursday in Englewood Municipal Court.
Plummer has been accused of "road rage" in an April incident in which he allegedly kicked a man's truck then backed into the same vehicle before driving off.
Plummer, who faces the misdemeanor charge of intent to injure or destroy property, did not appear in court Thursday.
His trial date has been set for Sept. 29, during the Broncos' bye week.

Lelie update
There are reports Atlanta and Baltimore could have interest in Broncos wide receiver Ashley Lelie, who is holding out in hopes of forcing a trade. Seattle also may have interest in a deal.
Old 08-05-2006, 04:56 PM
TJ21

The Denver Broncos have won the AFC West 10 times... 3 behind the division leading Oakland Raiders.
Old 08-05-2006, 05:15 PM
Podium

SOURCE:Denver Broncos

Quote:
BRONCOS SIGN FREE-AGENT RB DAMIEN NASH; WAIVE RB MARTY JOHNSON

ENGLEWOOD, Colo. — The Denver Broncos on Thursday signed free-agent running back Damien Nash and waived running back Marty Johnson, Head Coach Mike Shanahan announced.

Wide receiver Rashaun Woods, whom Denver claimed off waivers from San Diego on Wednesday, failed his physical and is not a member of the Broncos.

Nash (5-foot-10, 220 pounds) is a second-year running back who was waived on Monday by Tennessee, which selected him in the fifth round (142nd overall) of the 2005 NFL Draft. The 24-year-old has played three career games and posted six rushes for 32 yards (5.3 avg.) along with three receptions for 14 yards (4.7 avg.).

As a rookie for the Titans in 2005, Nash played three games and registered all of his rushing and receiving statistics in the Titans’ regular-season finale at Jacksonville on Jan. 1. He was inactive for 12 games and did not play in another contest for Tennessee.

Nash totaled 1,254 rushing yards on 253 carries (5.0 avg.) with 12 touchdowns in 23 career games (9 starts) during two seasons at the University of Missouri. Nash, who also recorded 36 career receptions for 281 yards (7.8 avg.) with two touchdowns at Missouri, began his collegiate career at Coffeyville Community College in Coffeyville, Kan.

During his senior year at East St. Louis Senior High School in East St. Louis, Ill., Nash posted 1,444 rushing yards and 28 touchdowns. He spent the first three years of his prep career at Riverview Gardens High School in St. Louis, helping the team capture the Class 5A Missouri state title.

Damien Darnell Nash was born April 14, 1982, in St. Louis. He will wear No. 29 for the Broncos.
Podium's portion: Nash is actually a decent player IMO, he's probably still a project, but I like him as a player.
Old 08-05-2006, 05:27 PM
Podium

SOURCE: Sports Illustrated

Quote:
Rookie Cutler getting more comfortable with offense

DENVER (AP) -- Jay Cutler is feeling it. What is more important, the Denver Broncos top draft choice is seeing it more clearly.

"It's slowing down, slowing down a lot for me," Cutler said. "I'm seeing things right before the snap, seeing rolls and where everyone is going."

"It's coming."

Cutler demonstrated that during the team's first day in pads and in contact drills. During several plays he picked up stunts from the defensive front and found secondary receivers Charlie Adams and Todd Devoe for positive yardage.

"Jay is very sharp," coach Mike Shanahan said. "He picks things up as quickly as anyone."

Cutler, who warned that he was not afraid to throw interceptions in camp, had been plagued by them in several of the first eight days of camp. He threw none on Saturday.

"There are times when I see things and I'm going to try and stick it in there," he said. "Today I did a better job of checking down and not forcing thing."

Overall, he gave himself passing marks for his performance through Saturday.

"The two-minute drills are the only problem," Cutler said. "When we are in team and seven-on-seven and all the run stuff I feel great."
He said he would use his day off Sunday to buy furniture.

RELATIVELY PAIN FREE SCRIMMAGE: Nose guard Gerard Warren was carted off with a dislocated toe. Several players were seen limping and others had to be taped after jarring, painful collisions.

The pain paled in comparison to a year ago when quarterback Jake Plummer put a scare into the team. He strained a knee after catching a cleat in the grass.

"These guys were tired and you like to see what they can do when they are tired," Shanahan said. "They are pretty sore, their legs are gone, but they fought through it."

Cornerback Champ Bailey had to have his right calf taped after being rolled by a block. Safety Hamza Abdullah limped between plays after breaking up a pass intended for Charlie Adams.

"We feel it," Adams said. "You're sore from being out here everyday."
The Broncos will get Saturday afternoon off and won't practice Sunday. They will return to the practice facility Sunday night for meetings and preparation for the upcoming week.

"Overall, we've had a good nine days," Shanahan said. "They deserve a days rest."

BROWN UPDATE: Defensive end Courtney Brown was a non-participant Saturday. Instead, he watched from a bench with his sore left knee propped in the air.

"He's got a little inflammation," Shanahan said.

Brown, who has an injury-plagued career, was limited to five games in 2001 and two in 2004 with the Cleveland Browns. He got into all but two game a year ago with the Broncos.

"We don't want to put him out there too quickly because those things can linger on," Shanahan said. "We'll see how he does day-by-day."

Brown has not been ruled out for Denver's preseason opener with Detroit.

SHANY SAYS: Shanahan had nothing but glowing things to say about Cutler.

"He's very, very sharp, very accustomed to the passing game and very impressive to where he is at this time," Shanahan said after Saturday's practice.

BRONCO BRIEFS: Punter Todd Sauerbrun threw a football to a fan with this warning. "If you drop it, I'm coming back to get it," he said. ... Linebacker Nate Webster had the hit of the day when he crushed Adams after he made a catch. "I feel like I'm back to my old self," Webster said. ... Safety John Lynch turned in a teeth-rattling hit when he leveled receiver Darius Watts near the goal line, prying the ball out of Watts' hands. ... Offensive lineman Adam Meadows spent part of practice Saturday walking around with ice taped to his left hamstring. ... Safety Sam Brandon (hamstring), defensive tackle Antwon Burton (foot), center Greg Eslinger (shoulder), receiver Domenik Hixon (calf), linebacker T.J. Hollowell (calf), tackle Erik Pears (finger) and receiver Rod Smith (hamstring) didn't practice Saturday. ... Tight end Nate Jackson returned to practice after missing four days with a hamstring injury.

Copyright 2006 Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
Old 08-05-2006, 07:49 PM
Podium

Source: Denver Post

Quote:
Denver enjoys nickel riches
By Bill Williamson
Denver Post Staff Writer

The defense was closing in, with linebacker D.J. Williams leading the charge. He raced in and knocked the ball away. The intended receiver slowly shuffled back to the huddle.

"That a way, D.J.," yelled Broncos linebacker Ian Gold. "That a boy, D.J."
For every good play executed by Williams, Gold's playing time could be in peril. But Gold knows the Broncos benefit from having Williams on the field as much as possible. He makes things happen. Just as Gold does.
It's a "thank goodness we have this" dilemma. Williams and Gold are at the center of a classic "what do you do?"

Last year, because of the return of a healthy and productive Gold, Williams - a 2004 NFL defensive rookie of the year candidate - didn't play as much as the Broncos had hoped. The goal is to get Williams, a former first- round pick, on the field more. Defensive coordinator Larry Coyer estimates Williams played about 700 of Denver's 1,100 defensive plays last season. At issue most is the nickel defense, when Gold plays while Williams sits.
"I got what D.J. wants and he's going to work hard to get it," Gold said. "It helps the team to have this type of talent."

To help get more from Williams, the Broncos are planning to use him strictly at strongside linebacker in the base defense. The strongside linebacker typically lines up on the same side as the tight end. Williams was a weakside linebacker as a rookie. He and Gold switched back and forth often last season.

However, because the basis of the nickel defensive package is to have only two linebackers but five defensive backs, the Williams-Gold rub will come into play often. NFL defenses are in the nickel package a majority of the time. Gold and middle linebacker Al Wilson - anchors of one of most respected linebacking corps in the NFL - are the nickel players. That leaves Williams on the sideline if Gold and Wilson aren't brought out for an occasional breather.

"That's all stuff we have to figure out," Coyer said. "It's a great problem to have. We have a great young player who needs to be on the field more, but we also have great players like Ian and Al who we have to keep on the field. The issue is, we have to keep those guys on the field and get D.J. on it more. That's the job."
Denver coach Mike Shanahan concurs.

"D.J. will play more," said Shanahan, who has made a point of saying how valuable Williams is on the field.

The Broncos could stay in their base defense longer or occasionally use 3-4 alignments.

"There's things you can do," Denver safety John Lynch said. "I think the lesson learned last year was that we have to find a way for D.J. to get more time."

Coyer said he was impressed by the work ethic shown by Williams in offseason workouts. He said Williams came to work with the mission of getting on the field more. Williams said he wasn't discouraged by the lack of playing time last season because he sees the big picture.

"I do want to help the team as much as I can," Coyer said. "It's a unique situation here. Whoever we have out there, the team is going to be better and that's a situation I can be satisfied with."

Because of the presence of Gold and Wilson, Coyer may have to keep that sunny disposition.

"Here's the bottom line: We need to get D.J. out here more; we all know that," Denver cornerback Champ Bailey said. "But when you do that, everybody would be asking, 'Where's Ian?' or, 'Where's Al?' I guess having three great linebackers can be a problem, but I'll take that type of problem."

Staff writer Bill Williamsoncan be reached at 303-820-5450 or bwilliamson@denverpost.com.

Podium's portion: He may be on a division rival, but I hope DJ has a nice career and it looks like he's on his way to doing so.
Old 08-05-2006, 10:07 PM
Hall of Famer

Default Broncos' Warren might miss rest of camp with toe injury

Aug. 5, 2006
CBS SportsLine.com wire reports

DENVER -- Denver Broncos defensive lineman Gerard Warren will be out two to four weeks after dislocating a toe on his left foot during a goal-line drill Saturday.

Warren fell to the ground, screamed in pain and clutched his foot after participating in the drill. He was carted off the field, though the news on the injury wasn't as bad as it first appeared it could be.

"It was a (scary moment) for a second," Denver defensive coordinator Larry Coyer said. "We're blessed."

The injury occurred when rookie running back Mike Bell tried to find an opening in the defense from 2 yards out. It appeared Warren may have been stepped on or someone had fallen on him. He screamed in pain as linebacker Al Wilson and other teammates came over to check on him.

If Warren would have fractured the toe, he would have been out for the season. Denver had signed Warren to a six-year, $36 million deal in the offseason.

"With something like that you want to make sure it's healed before you start working or it's going to linger throughout the season," coach Mike Shanarat said. "I'm not worried about the preseason. It's more important that he is ready for the season. He is an experienced guy.

"Hopefully, Gerard will be ready for the season."

Warren had just three sacks last season, but the Broncos were more than pleased with his ability to stuff the run. Denver's defense was second against the run in the NFL last season.

This is the second year in a row Denver has lost a defensive lineman in training camp. Courtney Brown dislocated his left elbow on Aug. 4, but returned in time to play in the final preseason game on Aug. 30.

"We had a situation (with Warren), but it turned out probably the best we could hope for," Coyer said.

AP NEWS
The Associated Press News Service