Go Back   The Official Los Angeles Chargers Forum > Chargers Talk > AFC West
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 08-06-2006, 08:04 PM
Podium

Hey Broncosgc,

Feel free to post news articles and notes and what not.
Old 08-06-2006, 10:41 PM
GET SOME BOY

Quote:
Originally Posted by broncosgc
i see no reason why we can't repeat as afc west champs...
Yeah, the Broncos scare me right now. I might be a hardcore bolt fan, but I won't act like we are invincible. Brandon Marshall and J-Walk scare me, yes, I just called him J-Walk
Old 08-07-2006, 10:40 AM
Podium

Source: Denver Post

Quote:
Lelie update
Although Ashley Lelie's holdout from training camp has reached 11 days, the Broncos and Lelie's agent are searching for a resolution. The agent, Peter Schaffer, said he and the team are looking for a suitable trade.
Interest in Lelie reportedly is heating up. Among teams that have shown interest are Baltimore, Philadelphia, Chicago, San Francisco and Atlanta.
Lelie has amassed $154,000 in training camp fines.
Source: Rocky Mountatin News
Quote:

LELIE UPDATE: The Broncos continue to entertain trade offers for disgruntled receiver Ashley Lelie, some as recent as during the weekend.
One team, believed to be the Chicago Bears, has offered a fourth- round draft pick in exchange for Lelie.
Shanahan and Lelie's agent, Peter Schaffer, could not be reached for comment Sunday night. Shana- han previously has said he wanted "equal value" for Lelie, and the team has been steadfast, according to several general managers in the league, that it wants a first- or second- round pick or a front-line player for Lelie.
Currently, the Atlanta Falcons and Philadelphia Eagles are limited at receiver because of injuries.
The Eagles were one of the teams to discuss a potential trade before the start of training camp, and Schaffer also is known to have approached the 49ers and Titans about a trade.
One of the trade proposals to the Titans included tight end and Denver native Bo Scaife, a deal the Titans turned down.
The Broncos believe their leverage for trade value goes up as injuries begin to occur around the league and preseason games begin.
Lelie has been fined $140,000 for missing the Broncos' first 10 mandatory days of training camp, and another $14,000 will be added when the team returns to the field this morning.
The Broncos formally have notified Lelie he will be fined $14,000 for each day of the preseason he is absent.
If Lelie stays out after the start of the regular season and no trade has been worked out, the Broncos are expected to try to recover part of the $3.3 million signing bonus he received when he signed the contract in 2002.
The Broncos also are likely to try to recover some of that signing bonus before any deal is made for Lelie.
Old 08-07-2006, 10:42 AM
Podium

Source: Rocky Mountain News

Quote:
Broncos offensive line still a block party
By Jeff Legwold, Rocky Mountain News
August 7, 2006
ENGLEWOOD - There it was, one huge, three-ring binder, cover closed, just waiting for the pile of pages to be turned. A grab-the-lapel first impression that left a rather tidy mark.
"That's a lot thicker," Broncos rookie center Greg Eslinger said. "That was what I thought when I saw the playbook. A lot thicker."
And while professional football often is a sea of learning curves, seemingly one after the next for those trying to make their way, a Broncos offensive line prospect must pack a little something else into the kit.
Comfortable shoes, because it might be a while.
"It would be really tough to play here as a rookie and still pretty tough your second year," said guard Cooper Carlisle, who waited five seasons in Denver before he was a full- time starter in his sixth. "Certain things about it just take time. You definitely learn more of it and become more comfortable with it every year you're in the system."
"It's kind of worked out that way," said offensive coordinator Rick Dennison, who also coordinates the run game as offensive line coach.
"We've got a pretty good core, so it's hard to displace them, No. 1, because they are good players. And two, because there is so much involved, it takes some time to sink in. Sometimes it takes a lot of time to sink in."
The Broncos offensive line, as has been chronicled throughout Mike Shanahan's tenure as coach, goes a little lighter than most teams.
Most teams routinely stretch 315-pounders across the front, tossing in perhaps a 340-pounder or two.
Among the current Broncos starters, only right tackle George Foster tops 295 pounds.
And in the Broncos' running game, they often move, right or left, as a group, each picking their way through traffic, finding the correct defender to block, and often it is not the one directly in front of them.
So the group relies on agility, timing and being able to think quickly enough to select the "most dangerous" defender in their area. If the timing is off, even the slightest, and the right choices aren't made, then the offense isn't moving.
"I don't know, but I do know it was difficult for me to learn . . . ," said Dennison, who holds a masters degree in civil engineering. "I'm far from a rocket scientist, but I studied it hard. And if they study it hard, they will get it.
"There are just so many little things that happen that we can't cover, but they still have to find a way to adjust in game situations.
"A lot of it, because I can't stand right behind them and tell them 'I'd do this' and 'I'd do that.' I can do that on film, but at some point in time, it has to soak into them that they make the decisions.
"And, obviously, the older guys have seen it more and they do a better job of adjusting. That can be difficult for a younger player."
Hence, there is an apprenticeship of sorts.
Shanahan has said center Tom Nalen, entering his 13th season, is "a no-question Hall of Fame player," and Nalen didn't start full time until his second season with the Broncos, playing behind Dave Widell during his rookie year.
Three of the other four starters - Ben Hamilton, Matt Lepsis and Foster - also waited one season before they started full time.
While backup tackle Cornell Green has played six NFL seasons, this will be his third with the Broncos, and he has yet to start a regular-season game for them.
Chris Myers, a center-guard prospect the Broncos took in the sixth round of the 2005 draft, has the typical timeline of a player they hope to see in their starting lineup at some point.
He spent the first month of last season on the practice squad before playing nine games on special teams and being inactive for three others.
Eslinger is, with former running back Floyd Little, one of the most decorated college players the Broncos have selected.
Eslinger last year won the Outland Trophy as the best interior lineman in NCAA Division I-A and the Rimington Trophy as the best center.
He also didn't miss a game with Minnesota, starting all 50 during his collegiate career.
"You know it's going to be different when you come to an organization like this," Eslinger said. "You have to study, to work and master the technique to have any chance. The correct steps, the correct everything."
Added Dennison: "The more you have experience in that part of it, the better off you're going to be. Sometimes that can be a difficult time for a younger player or even someone coming from another team. But experience has an impact, there isn't a question about that."
Old 08-07-2006, 11:13 AM
Podium

Mike Bell named #1 RB for preseason opener
Old 08-07-2006, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Podium
My draft board has just been updated! hehehehe!
Old 08-07-2006, 12:11 PM
mef31

I dislocated my big toe during a high school football game stayed off it for a couple days and was back in the next game. He must be a pansy if he was making a big deal out of it. I can understand wanting it to heal properly but 4 weeks is a bit much.
Old 08-07-2006, 01:32 PM
Prodigal19

Quote:
Originally Posted by mef31
I dislocated my big toe during a high school football game stayed off it for a couple days and was back in the next game. He must be a pansy if he was making a big deal out of it. I can understand wanting it to heal properly but 4 weeks is a bit much.
First of all are you a defensive linemen? They have to be on their toes all the time and hes a big guy putting a lot of weight on them. Second, some dislocations are worse than others. his might be worse. Third, you were younger, you heal faster. And lastly, theres no point in rushing it since it is just training camp. Theyd rather have him 100% for the season then have him come back early and only be 80% for the whole season.
Old 08-07-2006, 04:58 PM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Podium
Hey Broncosgc,

Feel free to post news articles and notes and what not.

Thanks Podium...I will most certainly take you up on that....

This thread rocks BTW....great idea
Old 08-07-2006, 05:13 PM
Obtain Glory

Podium is a genius i say