Chargers Header
Forum Home News Media Vault Schedule Team Charger Girls Tickets Fan Zone Community En Español Fantasy Football Pro Shop

Go Back   The Official Los Angeles Chargers Forum > Chargers Talk > General Discussions
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 01-16-2018, 12:36 AM
Rookie

[QUOTE=T12355;4797282]I agree. Addressing the OL, I would think, is top priority after giving it some thought. I mean, I would LOVE Vita if he were there but he’ll be gone.

I look at it this way, if we can plug/play our #1 pick on the OL we immediately upgrade our run blocking. Doing that alone will help us win games simply by being able to convert those 1st downs needed on final drives to close out games. That’s at least two wins right there THIS YEAR.

Now, if we can find a kicker? Shoot that’s at least 6 more points/game next year against those defenses that happen to be able to shut us down in the red zone where we weren’t able to both pound it in or kick a blasted FG.

This team is close. Yes, every year is a new year and “you never know”. But this team is close.

We will have Lamp next year so already we are upgraded on the O Line but your 100% correct on needs. OT, DT and LB. When Perryman came back the run D improved greatly except for Chiefs game where he got hurt. If we keep getting leads we ran dime VERY well last year but that takes your backers off the field so my guess is...Free agency will tell all (but a stud DT and OT would solve so many problems)
Old 01-16-2018, 04:31 AM
Power of 51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xenos View Post
I'm always wary of Patriot olinemen simply because their oline coach Scar is such a wizard. I wonder how OL that leave the Pats do with other organizations.
Does that make Tom Brady the little baby kitten Lion King ?
Old 01-16-2018, 01:37 PM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
So the past three FA periods, we have had one splash pickup (ie. Franklin, Benjamin, and Okung) followed by smaller pickups like Slauson, Hayward, and Patrick Robinson.

So the question is:
1) Who will be that one big splash FA?
2) Who will be the underrated signings?
im interested in

Justin Ellis from the Raiders
DaQuan Jones from the Titans
Bennie Logan from KC

good run stuffers from the DT spot. Would also look into some LBs. If we wanna make a $$$$ go for Dontari Poe?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 01-16-2018, 02:04 PM
Madness? This is Chargers

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperBowlBolts View Post
im interested in

Justin Ellis from the Raiders
DaQuan Jones from the Titans
Bennie Logan from KC

good run stuffers from the DT spot. Would also look into some LBs. If we wanna make a $$$$ go for Dontari Poe?
Here's an interesting tidbit from Eric Williams when someone asked him whether we were going to get a DT like Payne in the draft. The bolded part is the most interesting to me.
http://www.espn.com/blog/los-angeles...plans-for-2018
Quote:
@eric_d_williams: Taking a big guy like Alabama defensive tackle Da’Ron Payne certainly is an option for the Chargers in this year’s draft, but I actually like the depth they have up front along the defensive line.
Brandon Mebane and Corey Liuget are both under contract. Damion Square and Tenny Palepoi are solid rotational players, and Darius Philon developed into a playmaker last season.

I also think guys such as Isaac Rochell and Whitney Richardson offer versatility and good upside. And defensive line coach Giff Smith does a nice job of finding and developing talent.

Obviously, most NFL observers point to the fact the Chargers gave up 131 rushing yards after contact last season, second-worst in the league, and automatically assume they need a two-gapping nose tackle to clog things up inside. That’s understandable.

But the Chargers don’t run that type of scheme, instead asking their guys inside to get up the field and create penetration.

And you also have to remember the Chargers played with at least five defensive backs on 712 snaps this year. And while safety Adrian Phillips had a nice year, the Chargers have to find bigger and more athletic linebackers either through the draft or free agency so they can play more base defense to help shore up the run defense next season. Think K.J. Wright for the Seattle Seahawks or Telvin Smith of the Jacksonville Jaguars.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Unleash the Rivers!!!
Old 01-16-2018, 02:07 PM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Here's an interesting tidbit from Eric Williams when someone asked him whether we were going to get a DT like Payne in the draft. The bolded part is the most interesting to me.
Doesnt mean we cant use a run stuffing DT. We may not run a two gapping system but we still need to be more solid up front.

edit

I do agree we need some better LBs as well though. I know our run defense improved significantly with Perryman on the field, but his health issues are a concern so we need more starters/depth there as well.

Last edited by SuperBowlBolts; 01-16-2018 at 02:15 PM..
Old 01-16-2018, 04:10 PM
Veteran

Quote:
The only thing I'll say about that is.... our DTs weren't exactly penetrating and creating havoc.... so.... I still believe we need to upgrade it so that we can rely on just have the front four pressure the QB and allow the rest to focus on the RB, TE and WRs.
Old 01-16-2018, 04:13 PM
outback goon

Quote:
Originally Posted by spaniard View Post
The only thing I'll say about that is.... our DTs weren't exactly penetrating and creating havoc.... so.... I still believe we need to upgrade it so that we can rely on just have the front four pressure the QB and allow the rest to focus on the RB, TE and WRs.
agree thats the winning formula

pressure with 4 and drop 7
Old 01-16-2018, 05:11 PM
Hall of Famer

Quote:

Zachary Crabtree
Martez Carter
Darius Leonard
Bryce Crawford

The woodMock '18 ...analysis/v2 soon
Old Yesterday, 03:18 PM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacob hester jr View Post

We will have Lamp next year so already we are upgraded on the O Line but your 100% correct on needs. OT, DT and LB.
Lamp can play at OT.