Go Back   The Official Los Angeles Chargers Forum > Chargers Talk > Quarterback Talk
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 01-30-2018, 11:13 PM
Thanks for everything 85!

Default 3 things Philip Rivers kept in his car

http://tikiandtierney.radio.cbssport...ad-in-his-car/

Quote:
“I loved playing with Philip – and coming from Denver, I didn’t like the guy at all, so it was hard for me to even sign there,” said Royal, who played for the Chargers from 2012-14. “When I first met him, he had a bible, a kid’s toy and a playbook in his front seat. That tells you everything you need to know about Philip Rivers. It’s family, it’s football and it’s faith. Just the intensity that he brought every day, competing in practice – what you see is what you get. I hated to keep competing against him, but when you’re on his team, it’s like, ‘I’ll run through a wall for this guy.’ You hear that a lot about guys, but you really mean it when you say it about Philip Rivers.”
I take back anything bad I said about Rivers when the team was losing bad.
Old 01-30-2018, 11:31 PM
Hall of Famer

Nice to have the respect of his former players. Perception is everything. Even players at the time didn't like Rivers when he came into the league. Of course Royal played with the Broncos prior so it explains his feelings then.

Phillip has carried the Chargers forever and a day. It be nice to have one special season where they compete in a game in February over the maybe next year mantra. Be great to break Rivers mold of a nice guy good player mold. I hope TT and staff can put him into a position to lead the team to a championship season.
Old 01-31-2018, 05:54 AM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charger Dodger View Post

I read that too. Awesome to have a Guy like Rivers.

Last edited by florida SD fan; 01-31-2018 at 06:24 AM..
Old 01-31-2018, 08:01 AM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charger Dodger View Post

Nice link.... thanks for the read.

I still can't believe there are people who bash Rivers, after all that he's done for the team. Sure he isn't perfect... but hell... he's so much better than what we could have.
Old 01-31-2018, 03:27 PM
Hall of Famer

Rivers to me is so underrated. He didn't even play in 04 & 05 like Eli & Ben got to. Rivers would right now have at least 5k more yardage putting him in 6th place all time behind only Marino, Brady, Brees, Favre, & Manning (and he has more yardage in the past 11 years than Eli, Ben, Rodgers & even Brady, Brees only one with more, very underrated as well).

I firmly believe that if Brady can play to 45 so can Rivers. Don't draft a QB, 9 more years of Rivers! I'd rather have a DT or LB or OT or G. Even when it is time I'd rather do like the Cardinals have done and sign a proven free agent like Kurt Warner & Carson Palmer instead of a unproven rookie (watch Arizona get Kirk Cousins!)

Last edited by ChargingBolts; 01-31-2018 at 04:33 PM..
Old 01-31-2018, 03:31 PM
Legend

People forget '97 - '00, which were scary years.

Even when we had Flutie and Brees, we weren't really sure if who we had behind center was the right guy to carry the team. (Brees wasn't really the Brees we saw now until his last year; and in that year he had a potentially career-ending injury last game of the season.)

Having a franchise QB for so long, people tend to take it for granted.

That's why I hope we draft a QB this year and next year to play behind Rivers. I think he has 2 more years left, and possibly 3. If we whiff with who we draft this year, last year might be our only shot to get it right and get that seamless transition.
Old 01-31-2018, 06:20 PM
Hall of Famer

I think Rivers is already quoted as saying no way he plays until he is 45 years old. He envisions himself being a coach for his son's high school football team by that age. Let's enjoy him while he is still around. It may end sooner than we think.
Old 02-14-2018, 04:56 PM
Hall of Famer

Do you guys remember the story about when Rivers was scheduled to appear at a football camp but his flight got cancelled, and he ended up driving all night so he could make it to the camp? I'm pretty sure I got the major details right, but lost the link to the story.
Old 03-17-2018, 06:30 PM
Pollyana-ish Homer Mod

Default Nunc Coepi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crime Time View Post
Do you guys remember the story about when Rivers was scheduled to appear at a football camp but his flight got cancelled, and he ended up driving all night so he could make it to the camp? I'm pretty sure I got the major details right, but lost the link to the story.
It was for a 20-minute speech to a Catholic Men's Fellowship group in Phoenix. Commitment!!

Quote:
Rivers' commitment impresses
Friday, March 11, 2011 1:56 PM PST

SAN DIEGO – You’re scheduled to give a 20-minute presentation in Phoenix.

However, inclement weather makes you think your flight may not arrive on time.

What do you do?

If you’re Pro Bowl quarterback Philip Rivers, you get in your car and drive. Rivers, scheduled to speak to 1,200 men on faith, family and football for Catholic Men’s Fellowship, completed the 350-mile drive and arrived an hour before he was due to speak.

After making the 20-minute presentation, he got back into his car and returned to San Diego.

Rivers told no one of the effort, which would’ve gone unnoticed but for a letter to the team from Terry Sweeney of Mesa, Ariz.

Sweeney did not attend the conference after waking up on Feb. 26 with the flu, but spoke with the event’s director, Mike Phelan, days later and learned the story.

“I cannot tell you in this day and age of star athletes how humbled I was to hear this, and how humble and special Philip Rivers truly is,” Sweeney wrote in a letter addressed to Chargers Owner Alex G. Spanos.

“As a man struggling to make ends meet myself, with six children of my own, I am in awe of Mr. Rivers. He has changed my life for good now, by this simple act, when I would have ‘packed it in.’”

Asked about the deed, Rivers declined to comment and said he did not want to draw attention to himself.

Phelan, director of Marriage and Respect Life for the Diocese of Phoenix, met Rivers backstage at the conference.

“I’m so impressed with him. I’ve met maybe seven, eight professional athletes and he struck me as by far the most humble,” Phelan said.

“Everybody would’ve understood if he said, ‘You know what, the flight’s not leaving. I’m not going to make it. I apologize.’ To take his commitment that seriously just says a lot about his character. Honestly, I don’t know if I would’ve gone.”

Rivers emphasized integrity in his talk and told the audience that football goes better for him when he prioritizes his faith and family.

Phelan estimated Rivers got back to San Diego around 1 a.m. and said the quarterback also seemed to be fighting a cold.

Impressed, Sweeney wrote a letter to Rivers to ask for advice.

“I (wrote), ‘How did you do that?’” Sweeney said. “I hope he responds to me because I want to be like that. He made a commitment and he kept the commitment no matter what.”

http://www.chargers.com/news/2011/03...ment-impresses

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

You want analysis? Don't ask me: I'm just a Pollyanna lying idiotic know-nothing ball-watching stat boy.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 03-17-2018, 07:01 PM
Forever San Diego

Its a shame the Spanos wasted his talent. Chargers are lucky he is such a committed team player, he could have jumped ship long ago. Definitely this generations Dan Marino (so far...)