Go Back   The Official Los Angeles Chargers Forum > Chargers Talk > Quarterback Talk
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 12-17-2017, 09:11 AM
Hall of Famer

Default Is it time for Rivers to check himself?

https://sports.yahoo.com/chargers-ap...142735437.html

Quote:
We kind of fell apart in a sense, I guess
You fell apart, Philip.

For most of his career it's always been like this. The team struggles early in the season, they get hot in the middle to the end of the year, then the team chokes in crucial moments. We see the same story over and over again.

When the hall of fame voters judge him, they will be looking at how he does in the pressure moments. Sadly, Rivers falters more times than he delivers in the clutch.

He needs to check himself. Don't you ever get sick of the things you do to kill the team Philip? Do you want to cement your place in Canton, Ohio?
Old 12-17-2017, 09:36 AM
Hall of Famer

Rodney Harrison said it best when the Chargers we're on their winning streak. Chargers have a knack for playing well then breaking your heart. It happen again here in a must win game for the division lead. The Bolts controlled destiny and shot themselves in the foot.

Rivers was not in sync from the start. The Chiefs new they had to knock Rivers off his rhythm so they blitzed and succeeded early. The Charger defense played stellar all season. Even they couldn't bail him out and just got trumped in the run game. Where was Bosa all night? I don't think he affected the pass rush in hurries much less sacks. For the first time he was contained last night by an outstanding Chiefs rush offense.

Special teams had that gimme opportunity on the punt recovery fumble. 50/50 ball and the Chiefs we're smart enough to scrap for the ball pushing one guy to the turf. That was a desire play right there.

Chargers fought hard to take the lead in the 3rd quarter 13-10. Chiefs response was the turning point of the game. Again, our run defense was poor and Hunt gashed them for chunks of rush yards. The sprint out option pass from Smith to Kareem Hunt was easy pickings. From there it was Rivers interception, Eckler robbery by Peters which led to consecutive scores. From there the game was pretty much in hand.

We can blame Rivers alright.. quarterback sets the tone but overall it was a team loss. Credit to the Chiefs and their fans. First ever Saturday night game and electric atmosphere was tough to overcome.

Last edited by ltinabottle; 12-17-2017 at 09:56 AM..
Old 12-17-2017, 11:18 AM
Release DJ Fluker!!

Are we back to hating on Rivers? LOL

Just let me know which bandwagon we are on this week. Hating or loving.
Old 12-17-2017, 11:59 AM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bolt4Life View Post
Are we back to hating on Rivers? LOL

Just let me know which bandwagon we are on this week. Hating or loving.
Yes clearly
Old 12-17-2017, 09:36 PM
Hall of Famer

I wont start the hating, but maybe a rookie behind him may apply some needed pressure. Rivers needs to be reigned in at times. He under threw wrs twice in double coverage and was lucky they weren't INTs. Third time it was. PR can't be taking those chances or making those bad throws.
Old 12-18-2017, 02:36 AM
Power of 51

Quote:
Originally Posted by daygobrett View Post
I wont start the hating, but maybe a rookie behind him may apply some needed pressure. Rivers needs to be reigned in at times. He under threw wrs twice in double coverage and was lucky they weren't INTs. Third time it was. PR can't be taking those chances or making those bad throws.
I would ignore 90% of people on here that would post this. But you are such a good fan, I have to ask:

Rivers is hyper-competitive, he's also just hyper...........Do you really think some rookie QB is needed to "apply pressure" ? Would he see him as pressure ? If you don't think Rivers does well in pressure games, you think more pressure will help ?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 12-18-2017, 02:41 AM
Hall of Famer

I do not care if we crawl in.

There are no points for style.

Qualify for the Tournament.
Legendary AJ Smith

Old 12-18-2017, 06:33 AM
Veteran

Again, the stretch that lost us the game:

- Go up 13-10
- Defense immediately gives up lead 17-13
- Tyrell runs wrong route, Lynn confirmed, INT 20-13
- Ekeler fumbles 23-13
- Benji brain farts on 3rd down, Rivers arm hit on 4th down, INT. Game over

It's easy to blame everything on the QB, especially when the "choking" narrative is out there. But QB play did not lose us this game. We were dominated at the LOS on both sides, and multiple players made crucial mental mistakes.
Old 12-18-2017, 10:12 AM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chargerfreak View Post
I would ignore 90% of people on here that would post this. But you are such a good fan, I have to ask:

Rivers is hyper-competitive, he's also just hyper...........Do you really think some rookie QB is needed to "apply pressure" ? Would he see him as pressure ? If you don't think Rivers does well in pressure games, you think more pressure will help ?
Well, thank you. Id agree that rivers is already highly motivated. Its just a guess that a rookie would give him extra motivation, or maybe it would change some of throws he makes. Maybe he'd make smarter throws. I think sometimes he gets to hype and loses his ability to make the right decision. It seems to have done the trick to Alex Smith. Altho the two are on opposite end of the Hype scale. I just think the coaches need to harness PR's energy at times. We were up 13-10, then KC scored, but with plenty of time left. Not sure why PR started forcing things or why his decision making was so different than the prior few weeks. Right now, there is no option behind PR, it may be time to start grooming one tho.
Old 12-18-2017, 12:14 PM
Power of 51

Quote:
Originally Posted by daygobrett View Post
Well, thank you. Id agree that rivers is already highly motivated. Its just a guess that a rookie would give him extra motivation, or maybe it would change some of throws he makes. Maybe he'd make smarter throws. I think sometimes he gets to hype and loses his ability to make the right decision. It seems to have done the trick to Alex Smith. Altho the two are on opposite end of the Hype scale. I just think the coaches need to harness PR's energy at times. We were up 13-10, then KC scored, but with plenty of time left. Not sure why PR started forcing things or why his decision making was so different than the prior few weeks. Right now, there is no option behind PR, it may be time to start grooming one tho.
The red is a bad answer. The black bolded part is genius. Overall, well done.