Chargers Header
Forum Home News Media Vault Schedule Team Charger Girls Tickets Fan Zone Community En Espaņol Fantasy Football Pro Shop

Go Back   The Official Los Angeles Chargers Forum > Chargers Talk > Charger Wallpapers, Signatures and Avatars
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 04-28-2005, 10:19 PM
SwingingFriar

I'm not a graphic wiz, but here it goes anyway

One of the best method of image optimization is to use blurring at the appropriate places in the images. Have you ever notice how photographs (especially sports photography) on newspaper web sites usually have blurred background (an example)? Beside making the image size smaller, it has a cool side effect of putting the focus on the main subject (i.e Marty)

With sigs, the background is probably just as important as the main subject, so the blurring method is moot

Edit: FWIW, I blurred out that dude in the background of the Castillo's image on my avatar

Last edited by SwingingFriar; 04-28-2005 at 10:45 PM..
Old 04-29-2005, 12:50 AM
geekster

Default Optimizing JPGs with GIMP

After user "SwingingFriar" mentioned the "GIMP" (an open source graphics program) in another thread - I downloaded and installed the runtime files and the program itself tonight and found it works pretty swell for tweaking JPG file compression too..

All one has to do is open an image file with it, then click on "File | Save As" - make sure you have JPG selected as the format - then after you click save it will give another little popup which provides the opportunity to adjust the "quality" of the image. (I was careful to give the test file a different file name but discovered that as long as you are doing "Save As" it will give you the opportunity to tweak the compression every time, whether you change the file name or not).

This file is 40k in size:

After adjusting its "quality" to "65" here is a copy that is less than 20k in size:

GIMP does not show you the file size dynamically like PaintShop Pro - so I had to keep decreasing the quality" (thus increasing compression) until I got the file size I wanted for this example - but like the other guy said "the price is certainly right".

-=geekster=-

p.s. The above image has absolutely nothing to do with how I felt about the Broncos HC's selections in the recent NFL draft.
Old 04-30-2005, 08:05 PM
Hall of Famer

Why is the number so low?

Most sites let you have 20kb for the AV and like 100 for the sig
Old 04-30-2005, 10:39 PM
geekster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rip

I don't know Rip - you'll have to ask Joelbolt or Chargeroo - they (and the 20k file size rule) were already here before I came aboard last September.

Here is a copy of your new 22k sig reduced to less than 11k using the techniques mentioned earlier in this thread:

Not too "lossy"? Hope you can use it.

-=dave=-
Old 04-30-2005, 11:01 PM
First member of the board

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rip

The U-T allows only a 90x90 avatar and they have the IMG turned off so you can't even put an image in your signature.

The reason the number is low is because the more bytes that get used for the pictures, etc. the bigger the likelihood that the forum will start slowing down. The U-T forum had already been through that, if you'll recall.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 01-04-2006, 02:54 PM
JellyBean2144

Default thanks for the tip

Is the paint shop expensive? I might try it on my own.
Old 01-11-2006, 04:44 AM
CHARGERS MAKE ME EMO

Quote:
Originally Posted by geekster
For the two of our most talented graphics artists that responded THANK YOU for jumping on this with me!

I'm pretty familiar with PaintShop Pro - currently have version 8.0 and have kept up with it since version 3.0 - its one of those programs that was developed "on the web for the web" and pretty cost-effective for a retiree.
Unfortunately I am still a relative troglodyte when it comes to any kind of artistic talent.

If one of you that happens to use PhotoShop could come up with a similar "HOWTO" for this optimization stuff in PS and post it in this thread I'd really appreciate it. (I know time is at a premium and understand if you can't get to it).
Warmest Regards,
-=dave=-
For Adobe Photoshop, instead of "File > Save As", opt for "File > Save for Web." Simple as that. The adjustment menu is pretty self-explanatory.

There's also this site that'll do it for ya:
http://www.netmechanic.com/GIFBot/optimize-graphic.htm

Last edited by mk87; 01-11-2006 at 04:48 AM..
Old 04-23-2006, 07:38 AM
My Milkshakes

okay can sumeone help me get this sig to maximumsig pixels or w/e plzzzzz

Old 04-23-2006, 07:39 AM
My Milkshakes

they say its so big, and i dont no how cuz i put 400 x like 150 and thats way un der so can sumone help on to make it good enuf for the forum plzzz
Old 04-23-2006, 08:35 AM
<---------- the new #33

Default yo

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDchargerLT21
they say its so big, and i dont no how cuz i put 400 x like 150 and thats way un der so can sumone help on to make it good enuf for the forum plzzz
if you meant this one -

i got it from 37.5 file size to 19.33 file size using photoshop's 'save for web' feature and seting the quality down from 100 to 98 and saving it as a .jpg

so this one here is 19.33 and under the limit

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.