Go Back   The Official Los Angeles Chargers Forum > Chargers Talk > General Discussions
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 01-16-2019, 04:05 PM
Bolted4Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kellyb72601 View Post
They put N.E. in enough 3rd downs but couldn't get a stop so before you know it the game is 21-7 and that took us out of the offensive gameplan, which I believe was solid going in.

3 3rd downs that NE did not convert in the first quarter.

but those ended up being defensive penalty's, automatic first down. go figure.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Just like the country song goes, This aint nothing" - P.Rivers

NFL PLEASE STOP THE PLAY 60 BUS COMMERCIAL! IT SUCKS AND IS ANNOYING! 3 YEARS IS TO MUCH!!
Old 01-16-2019, 04:26 PM
First member of the board

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eskimo Fabio View Post
So, I should say I really hate most of these guys. However I feel like they have a point. (Iíll link at the bottom)
I think we need to evaluate either Lynn and company or just simply Gus Bradley.
And before I start let it be known I LOVE our coaches. But we were better than that patriots road performance. Hereís. Few quick reasons why.
Really Iíll give you one:
Baltimore.
Do you guys remember how freaking badly we got WHOOPED week 16? What did we have, like 108 TOTAL yards in the first half? It was horrendous. They eat the clock up with ease (like New England) and slowly crawled down the field, would score, and our offense would come out and slam into a brick wall.
We couldnít protect Rivers. Get a first down to save our life, and our offense would stagnate by the 40 yard line.
Sound familiar?

Flash forward to the playoff game and remember Lynn breaking down that post game playoff Ravens win? ďGuys, It Felt Like We Doninated Out There!!Ē And we DID. It was like, what, 21 days difference?!

Exact same players.
Exact same coaches.
Just a few weeks apart.
How is that even possible?

Like I dare any of you to sit down, with your favorite adult beverage or food or game day comforts. Camp out and throw on our first chargers ravens game and then follow up immediately with the full playoff ravens game.

I mean if you didnít know better, those games looked like different TEAMS on different YEARS!
I remember shouting, (talking to my girlfriend) ďBabe! We just tackled behind the line of scrimmage!!Ē I mean how long has it felt since weíve seen that? Oh and SACKS? 7? In a game? Against that same offensive line and GREAT running back and running attack that did SQUAT against us, again, on the grand scheme of things, days away from when we couldnít stop them to literally win the division and save our life?

The only answer I have is coaching.
Typical chargers, back against wall and with an EMBARESSEMENT tape to study, they rebound with style and stomp. You bet your sweet butt if we played next week (if we had hockey playoffs lol) we would be rebounding with heroic flare.

But we donít have time to rebound in the playoffs.
Iíve seen this pattern a few times now, if we donít make a change now we could kill a Ďmccoyí worthy number of years.
It was too late for LT
Couldnít quiet get there for Gates (fingers crossed on a cheap bones bonus contract..that we all know isnít happening)

We need a big day game plan whether thatís head coach or offensive, DEFENSE coordinator and Lynn just Ďtrusting his guysí too much. Brady was LAST against the blitz!! Among all starting qBís!! When you see four isnít working WHY KEEP SENDING FOUR?!

Evident by the ravens game, we can stop elite backs and we can do as we please. On a quick turn around with the SAME players.
We need coaches that donít need a rebound tape.

Iím too old for this Charger crap to happen again next year.
Letís go big time and get this crap fixed. THE Brady bill Mahomes, Mike Mayock with 200 first round picks.. this isnít going to get any easier.

We need a new standard.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TMPY_y6nLrg
I think most of us are overlooking the big factor here. The same factor was at work in the first Balt. game, the second Baltimore game, and the NE game.

That factor is motivation.
Lets look at it -

In the first Balt. game they had their backs against the wall. A loss would have kept them out of the playoffs, we were already in the playoffs - they were fired up trying to save their season.
In the second game,we were the team that had their backs against the wall. We had something to prove. The embarrassment of that earlier game was also a motivation. Add to that, the defense that Gus devised and we outplayed them.
In the NE game, it's been mentioned that they were well rested and had three weeks to plan for the game but I think the more important thing was they had those three weeks to read over and over that they weren't very good. That Brady was on the downside. A lot of the so called experts were picking us - some by a large margin. That gave NE a lot of motivation.

It's not bad coaching as much as some people are saying. For instance the same guy that got the defense ready for the first Balt. game also devised the defense for the second game.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 01-16-2019, 04:45 PM
glutton for punishment...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RIPgriggs View Post
3 3rd downs that NE did not convert in the first quarter.

but those ended up being defensive penalty's, automatic first down. go figure.
Yeah.... that PI against Hayward was a killer... Gronk wasn't even expecting it.... he kind of threw a hand up after he saw a flag... That was a giant man putting his hands all over our tiny DB and Hayward just trying to stay on top of him. Just a joke. But I knew we would have to play well enough to beat the refs too... alas... it was not to be.

glutton for punishment.... glutton4Bolts
Old 01-16-2019, 05:17 PM
Hall of Famer

Outside of Rivers and Gates, this wasn't a very experienced playoff team, including head coach. PR gets all the headlines, so that little fact gets lost in the shuffle, but we're a fairly young team that was not too far off from teams like the Bears and Colts in that regard. Yet, the narrative is that they have bright futures and we blew one of our last opportunities. Go figure. I get that it's hard to separate this team from past Chargers' teams in the media's eyes because of PR, but it's really a whole new team that should get a clean slate.

I think it's natural to get caught up in the excitement of a big winning streak and several exhilarating comebacks, and don't get me wrong, we had the talent to get it done...with some breaks going our way, of course. But man, we were 5-11 a couple of seasons ago and fired our coach, missed the playoffs again last season after starting 0-4. From that perspective, this was a damn successful season and a great stepping stone for bigger things ahead. In hindsight, it shouldn't be surprising at all that we lost to the more experienced team (and that's an understatement), and it shouldn't be understated how big of a learning lesson this could end up being for a coach who's proven he can change and adapt over his short tenure so far and a young, close-knit team that's as hungry for success as any we've had.

I fully expect us to bounce back and respond like the Saints did to their playoff disappointment last year. The best is yet to come...
Old 01-16-2019, 05:32 PM
Madness? This is Chargers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kellyb72601 View Post
I kept telling people don't take anything from the Ravens game and try to forecast that foreword. The Ravens were getting by running a gimmick 3 play offense where the principles of normal defensive football didn't apply as much. The staff actually had a really good defensive gameplan the first time they played, but the players needed to see it again. When they did they shut it down completely.

Against New England the flaw I think was taking too much from the regular season game they played last year. In that game they shut the run down completely, held new england to field goals, and only lost because they had 2 TDs called back on penalties. The thought for the playoff game was probably if they played defensively like they did last year and did a little better offensively they'd win. They put N.E. in enough 3rd downs but couldn't get a stop so before you know it the game is 21-7 and that took us out of the offensive gameplan, which I believe was solid going in.
You pretty much summed up everything perfectly. Thanks! Plus, I would say that Belichick, like Reid, is deadly when he has an extra week to prepare.

Unleash the Rivers!!!
Old 01-16-2019, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackMamba View Post
Outside of Rivers and Gates, this wasn't a very experienced playoff team, including head coach. PR gets all the headlines, so that little fact gets lost in the shuffle, but we're a fairly young team that was not too far off from teams like the Bears and Colts in that regard. Yet, the narrative is that they have bright futures and we blew one of our last opportunities. Go figure. I get that it's hard to separate this team from past Chargers' teams in the media's eyes because of PR, but it's really a whole new team that should get a clean slate.

I think it's natural to get caught up in the excitement of a big winning streak and several exhilarating comebacks, and don't get me wrong, we had the talent to get it done...with some breaks going our way, of course. But man, we were 5-11 a couple of seasons ago and fired our coach, missed the playoffs again last season after starting 0-4. From that perspective, this was a damn successful season and a great stepping stone for bigger things ahead. In hindsight, it shouldn't be surprising at all that we lost to the more experienced team (and that's an understatement), and it shouldn't be understated how big of a learning lesson this could end up being for a coach who's proven he can change and adapt over his short tenure so far and a young, close-knit team that's as hungry for success as any we've had.

I fully expect us to bounce back and respond like the Saints did to their playoff disappointment last year. The best is yet to come...
Love this post as well. The only thing I would add is while the comebacks are nice, point differential is a big thing. We can't expect to sustain a level of success if the point margin is so slim. It's what happened to the Raiders after 2016. Carr led all these great comebacks in 2016 but became fully human again in 2017.

Unleash the Rivers!!!
Old 01-16-2019, 05:35 PM
All-Pro

It was over by halftime.It looked over at there first two drives.Bad game plan!
Old 01-16-2019, 05:36 PM

The advantage of the bye besides recovery, is that coaches have more time to gameplan. Not necessarily against an opponent, but also to view their weaknesses and tendencies. NE obviously made sure to shore up their weaknesses as well as change how they attack on defense. Though to be fair, it still doesn't make the loss any better.

Unleash the Rivers!!!
Old 01-16-2019, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boltsnfsu View Post
It was over by halftime.It looked over at there first two drives.Bad game plan!
Not at the half. If the offense had continued from the first drive and scored more often, while the defense continued to keep NE to 6 points, it would still have been a game.

Unleash the Rivers!!!
Old 01-16-2019, 05:51 PM
Hall of Famer

You look at the 49ers with their west coast offense in the eighties. Short passes seen as long hand offs. Move the chains 3,5,7 drop passes once they sustain a rhythm. Real tough to stop. The Walsh's offense was dismantled through a dominant defenses ala Giants (twice), the Bears and Redskins in the eighties. They had to step up their game to match the West Coast offenses.

The Patriots embraced the short game but also we're able to run off tackle at will which set up play action. The Chargers played their best against the Ravens in the playoffs. For a moment there, they displayed elements of a swarming, aggressive hard hitting defense.

We need to add talented players in the middle of our defense. Players that can sustain the punishment of a full season. Derwin James is a huge piece of this defense Bosa too. Denzel is talented but you can't really trust him to finish a whole season. I question his motivation. If I'm him I'm working out to get in the best shape of my life with something to prove.

Melvin Ingram has that fire and work ethnic. I don't think Denzel has it and is expendable. Maybe he could be depth for us but he's looking to start elsewhere. We also need a defensive tackle that can rush the passer and snuff the run. A player that can be interchangeable with Bosa and Ingram. That would be a bad mutha group to mess with in the middle of our defense.

Hats off to the Saints in how they drafted especially their offensive line. We have free agents and middle round/ UFA talent on our line. It's showed on Sunday. We need to upgrade our offensive line. The hurt stings...especially for Philip being where he is at the end of his career. I think this was his best chance to win it all.

It's hard to make a run be 12-4...this season surpassed my expectations. Can we improve going into next season? The core is a young group....or do we seek to draft a talented quarter back to grow with this young core? Right now you have the Browns, Eagles, Ravens, Jets, Texans and Chiefs all emerging with new generation of quarterbacks. The tide is turning and Rivers clock is ticking....management needs to decide on keeping him and filling the holes or drafting a top QB. Easier said than done.