Chargers Header
Forum Home News Media Vault Schedule Team Charger Girls Tickets Fan Zone Community En Espaņol Fantasy Football Pro Shop

Go Back   The Official Los Angeles Chargers Forum > Chargers Talk > AFC West
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 02-07-2014, 05:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LongTimeOCBolts View Post
I don't buy this at all.

I saw Bill Polian talking about Manning's departure from Indy. He said that Manning asked: "Is there any way I can stay?" , to which the Colts answered "No."

If anyone made a cold-blooded business decision, it was the Colts, not PM.
Believe it or not, I am 100% on board with him being a Merc.

I'm not sure how what Polian claims happened, or what Peyton allegedly said to the Colts, means anything. They were in the rare position to draft their future guy with the #1 overall pick, Manning was aging and physically questionable, it would be ridiculous not to draft Luck.

What scenerio would work with Manning sticking around ? Taking a backup role and applicable pay cut ? Hah ! There was zero chance of that happening.

It is a fact that Manning went the highest bidder, and two years later admits he surprised himself on how well he was able to perform (he took the hefty contract despite the questionable thoughts of himself though). Any of the "well he said this to the Colts" stuff is just hearsay, and meaningless. He's gonna continue to play as long as someone is gonna continue to throw millions of dollars his way, just like any other Merc would do. I said that was gonna happen whether or not he won the SB this past weekend, and nothing he ever said suggested otherwise. Every single time he was asked if this was his last season, he stated he planned to play next year, the retirement talk was purely fan speculation. I am pretty sure that nearly $20 million guaranteed is a huge reason why his plan has always been to play in 2014...

i like that my franchise will do whatever it takes to win, and if all they get is a slap on the hand for it in return, more power to them...

Last edited by chopper31; 02-07-2014 at 05:20 AM..
Old 02-07-2014, 05:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Moekid View Post
Agree and it was probably the right decision.

Manning then did what every single professional -- not just athletes -- does. Tried to find the right situation that would give him the best opportunity to fulfill his goals (I'm sure money was one of them).
One of them ?

Money is the only thing Denver offered the best of, and that's what he took.

He could have went to SF for a better chance at a Championship, to be part of one of history's most winning organizations and home field weather that suits his abilities. There would have been less money though, so he passed.

Instead he went to the highest bidder, and wears a spandex body suit under his jersey and gloves on his hands to stay warm during late season home games. I'm gonna go out on a limb and say that if Denver was not the highest bidder, he would not have went there...

i like that my franchise will do whatever it takes to win, and if all they get is a slap on the hand for it in return, more power to them...

Last edited by chopper31; 02-07-2014 at 05:29 AM..
Old 02-07-2014, 09:09 AM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by chopper31 View Post
One of them ?

Money is the only thing Denver offered the best of, and that's what he took.

He could have went to SF for a better chance at a Championship, to be part of one of history's most winning organizations and home field weather that suits his abilities. There would have been less money though, so he passed.

Instead he went to the highest bidder, and wears a spandex body suit under his jersey and gloves on his hands to stay warm during late season home games. I'm gonna go out on a limb and say that if Denver was not the highest bidder, he would not have went there...
Not true. He wanted to stay in the AFC. I'm sure he also didn't want to compete with a young stud QB. Denver was easily the best choice for him including money.
Old 02-07-2014, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Not true. He wanted to stay in the AFC. I'm sure he also didn't want to compete with a young stud QB. Denver was easily the best choice for him including money.
^ all just hearsay, even if coming from Potato Head's own mouth.

The only thing that can not be disputed is that he went to the highest bidder.

Besides even off the field, he's a merc. Throw an appearance fee at him you get this:

Give an invite without an appearance fee (and with the expectation that he actually provide a gift) you get this:

Last edited by chopper31; 02-07-2014 at 10:29 AM..
Old 02-07-2014, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Kaep was an unknown at the time.

As much as it hurts me to say this, Chop is right.

Last edited by WootMonkey; 02-07-2014 at 12:59 PM..
Old 02-07-2014, 01:24 PM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by WootMonkey View Post
As much as it hurts me to say this, Chop is right.
it should woot. it should hurt bad.

"Back in March 2012, Manning was an unrestricted free agent but was clearly looking to stay in the AFC all along, and he bonded with Broncos exec John Elway, which is why he picked Denver."

http://www.mercurynews.com/tim-kawak...erback-upgrade
Old 02-07-2014, 01:37 PM
<< . . . . . . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by chopper31 View Post
Believe it or not, I am 100% on board with him being a Merc.

I'm not sure how what Polian claims happened, or what Peyton allegedly said to the Colts, means anything. They were in the rare position to draft their future guy with the #1 overall pick, Manning was aging and physically questionable, it would be ridiculous not to draft Luck.
Your hate blinds you, young Chop.

Of course the nature of one's departure is relevant to the question of whether one is acting as a "merc". The first, and I mean the first, threshhold question, is whether he left his current team voluntarily. If not, no merc.

Your argument whether the team did the right thing for its future success is irrelevant. It is not the team being accused of anything in this argument.
Old 02-07-2014, 01:47 PM
Marion Butts

Quote:
Originally Posted by LongTimeOCBolts View Post
Your hate blinds you, young Chop.

Of course the nature of one's departure is relevant to the question of whether one is acting as a "merc". The first, and I mean the first, threshhold question, is whether he left his current team voluntarily. If not, no merc.

Your argument whether the team did the right thing for its future success is irrelevant. It is not the team being accused of anything in this argument.
why wouldn't manning want to stay in indy. Aside from it being the only place he played his whole career he was due 28 million dollars. If I was the owner id dump him too. Of course Irsay also said how difficult it was to drop him, but im sure he got over it pretty quick.

Irsay insisted that the decision was financial. So if Peyton indeed was begging to stay in indy and asked if there was anything poor old peyton could do to stay in indy, im sure Irsay said, sure, take a paycut so we can still field a competitive team...peyton assumedly said no chance.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports...-luck/3076797/

-Mario Lopez

Last edited by marion butts; 02-07-2014 at 01:52 PM..
Old 02-07-2014, 01:49 PM
Marion Butts

Quote:

"Back in March 2012, Manning was an unrestricted free agent but was clearly looking to stay in the AFC all along, and he bonded with Broncos exec John Elway, which is why he picked Denver."

so why were the Arizona Cardinals his 2nd option? There were other AFC teams interested. Houston, Tennessee and Miami as well as the jets all called and he went and visited all of them if I recall. Seems he was just getting his price up. I guess using the cardinals? Why was he even visiting NFC teams otherwise?

-Mario Lopez
Old 02-07-2014, 02:14 PM

Quote:

Oh good grief Moe, its so obvious you are just trolling right now. I know you are a lot smarter than to think that what a columnists writes as his opinion is anything more than hearsay. I'm just surprised you took the time to do the research.

Lemme save you any further trouble, and point out that until you post a link that states he turned down an offer for more money, there is no such thing as concrete proof that can be thrown in the face of those that want to view him as a merc. You will find no such link.

So you can view him as innocent if you want, but in my eyes he is guilty until proven innocent...