Chargers Header
Forum Home News Media Vault Schedule Team Charger Girls Tickets Fan Zone Community En Espaņol Fantasy Football Pro Shop

Go Back   The Official Los Angeles Chargers Forum > Chargers Talk > AFC West
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #51  
Old 02-07-2014, 02:19 PM
chopper31's Avatar
chopper31 chopper31 is offline
.
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: ...
Posts: 10,676
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LongTimeOCBolts View Post
Your hate blinds you, young Chop.

Of course the nature of one's departure is relevant to the question of whether one is acting as a "merc". The first, and I mean the first, threshhold question, is whether he left his current team voluntarily. If not, no merc.

Your argument whether the team did the right thing for its future success is irrelevant. It is not the team being accused of anything in this argument.
The major flaw in your logic is the assumption that I place the Merc label on him, solely becuz of 2012. He was one WELL before that.

In fact in 2010, Jim Irsay wanted to do his contract extension during the bye week, which he said was going to make him the highest paid NFL player in history. Manning turned that down, and wanted to wait until the end of the season for "maximum leverage". Being the highest paid player in history was not enough, he wanted to see if he could inflate the number even more !

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d...-bye#recommend

I'm not gonna go through the guy's entire history, but there are many reasons I have viewed him as a merc for many years...
__________________
Quote:
the Pats cheated, got 4 rings... good for them... we cheated and got 2 rings... yay for us!...

i like that my franchise will do whatever it takes to win, and if all they get is a slap on the hand for it in return, more power to them...

Last edited by chopper31; 02-07-2014 at 03:18 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #52  
Old 02-07-2014, 02:52 PM
chopper31's Avatar
chopper31 chopper31 is offline
.
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: ...
Posts: 10,676
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by marion butts View Post
so why were the Arizona Cardinals his 2nd option? There were other AFC teams interested. Houston, Tennessee and Miami as well as the jets all called and he went and visited all of them if I recall. Seems he was just getting his price up. I guess using the cardinals? Why was he even visiting NFC teams otherwise?
It must have been out of respect. The Cardinals are one of the most respectable organizations in NFL history, with a rich track record of success.

It wouldn't be very Manning-like to snub an NFL team, interested in his services, would it ?
__________________
Quote:
the Pats cheated, got 4 rings... good for them... we cheated and got 2 rings... yay for us!...

i like that my franchise will do whatever it takes to win, and if all they get is a slap on the hand for it in return, more power to them...
Reply With Quote
  #53  
Old 02-07-2014, 03:36 PM
The Moekid's Avatar
The Moekid The Moekid is offline
Hall of Famer
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 35,619
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by chopper31 View Post
Oh good grief Moe, its so obvious you are just trolling right now. I know you are a lot smarter than to think that what a columnists writes as his opinion is anything more than hearsay. I'm just surprised you took the time to do the research.

Lemme save you any further trouble, and point out that until you post a link that states he turned down an offer for more money, there is no such thing as concrete proof that can be thrown in the face of those that want to view him as a merc. You will find no such link.

So you can view him as innocent if you want, but in my eyes he is guilty until proven innocent...
let's see a link that says Denver was willing to pay more than Tennessee. Or San Francisco.
Reply With Quote
  #54  
Old 02-07-2014, 03:38 PM
The Moekid's Avatar
The Moekid The Moekid is offline
Hall of Famer
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 35,619
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by marion butts View Post
so why were the Arizona Cardinals his 2nd option? There were other AFC teams interested. Houston, Tennessee and Miami as well as the jets all called and he went and visited all of them if I recall. Seems he was just getting his price up. I guess using the cardinals? Why was he even visiting NFC teams otherwise?
why do you say that? I think it was Tennessee.
Reply With Quote
  #55  
Old 02-07-2014, 03:44 PM
DefenseWins's Avatar
DefenseWins DefenseWins is offline
Moderator of Insanity
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: EdgeOfSeat
Posts: 30,063
Default

You're all wrong... he went for the simple reason that with Elway around he wouldn't be the scariest smashed face in town...
Reply With Quote
  #56  
Old 02-07-2014, 03:56 PM
chopper31's Avatar
chopper31 chopper31 is offline
.
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: ...
Posts: 10,676
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Moekid View Post
let's see a link that says Denver was willing to pay more than Tennessee. Or San Francisco.
http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on-...-5-years60-mil

He signed for 5 years/$96 million (more than his last contract with the Colts).

Tennesee couldn't have paid that even if they were willing, as they didn't have the up front cap room, and obviously he wasn't gonna take a backloaded contract.
__________________
Quote:
the Pats cheated, got 4 rings... good for them... we cheated and got 2 rings... yay for us!...

i like that my franchise will do whatever it takes to win, and if all they get is a slap on the hand for it in return, more power to them...
Reply With Quote
  #57  
Old 02-07-2014, 03:58 PM
chopper31's Avatar
chopper31 chopper31 is offline
.
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: ...
Posts: 10,676
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Moekid View Post
why do you say that? I think it was Tennessee.
They were.

SF was 3rd, but didn't have the money to match the top 2 when it got to $90 million.

The guy got a $6million raise from his last contract from the Colts, and wasn't even sure he would be able to perform.
__________________
Quote:
the Pats cheated, got 4 rings... good for them... we cheated and got 2 rings... yay for us!...

i like that my franchise will do whatever it takes to win, and if all they get is a slap on the hand for it in return, more power to them...
Reply With Quote
  #58  
Old 02-07-2014, 04:00 PM
marion butts's Avatar
marion butts marion butts is offline
Marion Butts
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Queens
Posts: 16,591
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Moekid View Post
why do you say that? I think it was Tennessee.
http://m.espn.go.com/nfl/story?story...73&src=desktop

Espn had the cards. There's another article from I think the az paper that stated the cards dropped out because of kolbs contract.
__________________
"Being a Charger fan is tough.. It's sad actually"

-Mario Lopez
Reply With Quote
  #59  
Old 02-07-2014, 04:02 PM
Tjchargerfan's Avatar
Tjchargerfan Tjchargerfan is offline
All-Pro
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Tijuana
Posts: 629
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by chargertom View Post
One heck of a game.
Could not have happened to a nicer team! LOL!!!
__________________
Baseball is designed to break your heart, Football is designed to break your body.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote
  #60  
Old 02-07-2014, 04:25 PM
LongTimeOCBolts's Avatar
LongTimeOCBolts LongTimeOCBolts is offline
<< . . . . . . .
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Lots of different places
Posts: 19,872
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by chopper31 View Post
The major flaw in your logic is the assumption that I place the Merc label on him, solely becuz of 2012. He was one WELL before that.

. . .

I'm not gonna go through the guy's entire history, but there are many reasons I have viewed him as a merc for many years...
Okay. I am not arguing his entire history (besides, that would be boring, at least to me). Just the one move that was presented.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 09:14 AM.


© 2017 Los Angeles Chargers. All Rights Reserved.