Go Back   The Official Los Angeles Chargers Forum > Chargers Talk > Draft Talk
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 01-24-2019, 02:56 PM
glutton for punishment...

Quote:
Originally Posted by spaniard View Post
Sure.... I'm expecting him to take a step forward as well. But not as a starter.

So you're saying our starting linebacking corps next year should be: Nwosu, FA, White....?????

I would kill to sign A stud DLineman in free agency.... but I just dont see it happening....
A very ideal case scenario is:

1: re-sign Perryman and Verrett to affordable contracts... ones that takes into account injury history

2: Go all in on Jarrett in FA.

3: Draft OT/ILB/FS in the 1st three rounds of the draft

4-3

Bosa - Jarrett - Jones et. al. - Ingram
Nwosu - Perryman - White

glutton for punishment.... glutton4Bolts
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 01-24-2019, 03:39 PM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by glutton4Bolts View Post

1: re-sign Perryman and Verrett to affordable contracts... ones that takes into account injury history

4-3

Nwosu - Perryman - White
Yeah thats cool....

The star on my bag signifies a World Championship... it's coming boys! It's coming!
Old 01-24-2019, 04:01 PM
Die Hard Fan

Germaine Pratt is my favorite MLB prospect. Hoping he falls to us in the 2nd but will probably have to move up in 2nd to get him if I'm being honest.

Great motor. Big physical player. Sideline to Sideline speed.
Old 01-24-2019, 04:40 PM
Hall of Famer

I have a round 3 grade on Pratt.
Mack Wilson projects better in coverage.
Devin White is obviously gone.
Old 01-24-2019, 05:03 PM

White and White at MLB and WILL... would be dynamic.

I really need to get around to watching tape on these guys. Pratt seems to have the size and speed to possibly be a difference maker outside the 1st round.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 01-24-2019, 10:03 PM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodeye2000 View Post
I have a round 3 grade on Pratt.
Mack Wilson projects better in coverage.
Devin White is obviously gone.
^ This. We need a ILB who can stop the run AND cover. If we're going to have a fighting chance vs. the Cheatriots, VERSATILITY is the key...
3. Darnell Savage, S, Maryland
4. Tytus Howard, OT, Alabama St.
5. JoeJuan Williams, CB, Vanderbilt
6. Nic Needham, CB, UTEP
7. Prince Tega Wanogho, OT, Auburn

Old 01-25-2019, 03:35 AM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by topcat4477 View Post
^ This. We need a ILB who can stop the run AND cover. If we're going to have a fighting chance vs. the Cheatriots, VERSATILITY is the key...
Straightline speed is not the only component leading to coverage skills. See Desmond King.

Amongst the linebackers, don't confuse "run and hit" only types with loose hipped, instinctive types. Anticipation is key. Recovery speed can help.

Coney, Pratt, et al do not have the skillset of Devin White, Devin Bush or Mack Wilson. This is why I mock Wilson to us.

Don't listen to me, if you wish. But do listen carefully to Daniel Jeremiah. What a resource ! We get the NFL Network's top scout calling our games and seeing everything.

We all saw what happened vs NE. All of CMB fixates on the trenches, as though carpet bombing Oline & Dline is some sort of intelligent football thinking. Neanderthal man is capable of mocking that way.
And that is not the answer. Every opponent will make your LBs cover.

Jeremiah saw James White make 15 receptions. gusD needs a 3 down MIKE. Have you forgotten what Denzel looks like in coverage ? My proposed depth chart shows a sea change at LB, with far greater athleticism.

Old 01-25-2019, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodeye2000 View Post
Straightline speed is not the only component leading to coverage skills. See Desmond King.

Amongst the linebackers, don't confuse "run and hit" only types with loose hipped, instinctive types. Anticipation is key. Recovery speed can help.

Coney, Pratt, et al do not have the skillset of Devin White, Devin Bush or Mack Wilson. This is why I mock Wilson to us.

Don't listen to me, if you wish. But do listen carefully to Daniel Jeremiah. What a resource ! We get the NFL Network's top scout calling our games and seeing everything.

We all saw what happened vs NE. All of CMB fixates on the trenches, as though carpet bombing Oline & Dline is some sort of intelligent football thinking. Neanderthal man is capable of mocking that way.
And that is not the answer. Every opponent will make your LBs cover.

Jeremiah saw James White make 15 receptions. gusD needs a 3 down MIKE. Have you forgotten what Denzel looks like in coverage ? My proposed depth chart shows a sea change at LB, with far greater athleticism.

Your comments certainly pique my interest... although, the Patriots are only a single team that would be in our way. I think the D had the guns even in their current form to give us a good chance at winning in Fox... they were just out-coached. How does it take you an entire half to start covering the RB out of the backfield? It was terrible.

At any rate... LBs were a total train wreck for us this year... And it all started with the loss of White. He looked like the real deal... and Brown did more than just hold his own when he took over... that is decent depth at that position going into 2019.... but ILB is literally empty. We really need a playmaker at ILB and there are several to be had early that can cover and stop the run. We are also weak at DT and there is a lot of talent in this draft early as well. Probably like to draft and get FA at both positions if possible.

As an aside, does the ILB generally cover the RB? Seems like a bad idea because they have to run from the center of the field to which ever side the RB catches the p***y pass on.

Old 01-25-2019, 09:37 AM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by glutton4Bolts View Post

4-3

Nwosu - Perryman - White

The bold above sounds all good, but the issue is other teams and the offers they make will eliminate the 'affordable' aspect.

Old 01-25-2019, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frozendisc View Post
The bold above sounds all good, but the issue is other teams and the offers they make will eliminate the 'affordable' aspect.
Certainly. These guys could easily find other landing places where a team is willing to overpay. But I am pretty sure Varrett, in particular, is not going to be offered all that much. We could easily live w/o him... we have for years. Perryman would be a better re-sign IMO... but we can't go into this year with no alternative at ILB... as a matter of fact, it would be great to have more flexibility and have a new stud ILB, Perryman and White on the field at the same time... it would give us a good blend of speed and thump. DT, ILB and OT are our biggest needs... those are some of the deepest positions in this draft. But since DT has a big bust factor... getting a stud DT FA like Jarrett or Suh would make it easier to select one of the three ILB woodeye mentioned.