Chargers Header
Forum Home News Media Vault Schedule Team Charger Girls Tickets Fan Zone Community En Espaņol Fantasy Football Pro Shop

Go Back   The Official Los Angeles Chargers Forum > Chargers Talk > AFC West
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 04-07-2014, 08:02 AM
Hall of Famer

Default State of the AFC West

This is a pretty good pre-draft read from NFL.com on what each team in our division has been doing in the offseason. TT has been very low key in free agency because of salary cap constraints he inherited. It is amazing how Elway seems to have an endless supply of cap room to keep signing big time players.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap200...reset-afc-west
Old 04-07-2014, 08:09 AM
Green text is the worst

Denver's offseason has been ridiculously overrated. Most of their acquisitions have been replacing losses, rather than adding to the existing team. For example...

They lose DRC and bring in Talib. If both players perform in 2014 the same way they did in 2013, then this is actually a small downgrade.

They lose Phillips/Ayers at DE, and bring in Ware. Might be an upgrade if he's healthy, but if he's anything like he was in 2013 then this is a status quo move at best. Possibly even going backwards.

They lose Eric Decker and bring in Emmanuel Sanders. I think Decker is overrated, but this is definitely a downgrade nonetheless.

The only move that I thought was a legit upgrade was T.J. Ward. And yeah, there's no talking around the fact that the kid is a great player. But that and getting Miller/Clady back are the only ways that I think Denver got better so far this offseason. The other moves got a lot of pub, but were really just making up the ground that their departees had lost them.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 04-07-2014, 08:31 AM
Forever San Diego

This is a horrible Bronco fanboy article...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 04-07-2014, 08:40 AM
Next man up

I can't argue with Denver being the favorite.

Still this article looks like Denver propaganda as much as it does analysis in there section.

Chargers are insulted for playing checkers to Denver chess... when the cap situations are very different. Gaither's cap hit is the 8th highest on the team. That needs to be talked about beyond saying
"saying up against the cap." It deserves note the amount of dead money we have, and that two of the 3 biggest pits were caused by the previous regime. That does not mean that Denver is any less of a favorite this year. It does not mean that they didn't get better. With that said the fact they can play the big name game while we have no choice but to bargain hunt needs to be noted. The Broncos section read like "Worship Manning and Elway, everybody else sucks."

I don't know much about the Raiders and Chiefs cap situation... but they deserve some note to for where things were going into the season, how much dead money they are eating, etc. Should have been more clear if they could have done more, or if they were in the same boat as us.

Furthermore Broncos get an "in spite of injures." in their breakdown while Chargers snuck into the playoffs through the back door. We got to the playoffs despite Mathews and royal playing hurt, losing Ingram for much of the season, his replacement after a few games... both our forecasted starting WRs possible suffering career enders, how many different offensive line combinations? Then we played Denver without our starting RG, our starting RB went down early... and no mention of how they got to play against such a depleted roster in our final head to head.

Every fan wants to play victim to circumstance when they lose... but the national media should do a better job with comparisons then the average fan. Article could have been a lot better had the author done a better job looking at the big picture of the division and trying to give each team the same passes, or give none to anyone.

I hate the injury excuse... as far as I am concerned a team that can't overcome injuries should be viewed the same as a team that can't defend a forward pass. But if that pass is given to Denver, it should be noted for all 3 other teams!

Other than that it was decently written... but those flaws make me wonder how much smarter the experts are than the upper tier of CMB posters. (A club I don't consider myself a member of.)

Last edited by Strife9878; 04-07-2014 at 08:43 AM..
Old 04-07-2014, 09:04 AM
Hall of Famer

SD couldn't afford entry into the Chess room, but they can afford entry into the Checkers room......

It is all about cap space, nothing more...

GO BOLTS !
Old 04-07-2014, 09:09 AM

Ridiculous article. As someone said in the other thread, within 10 words they manage to say we are playing checkers not chess. That we were 'very mediocre' and 'snuck in' the 'back door'. This guy has no idea what he is talking about. Guess they give articles to anybody these days.
Old 04-07-2014, 09:24 AM
Mojo Is Dead

im going to wait until after the draft, but I see us winning the afcw so far.

thirty33three
Old 04-07-2014, 09:29 AM
Green text is the worst

Chris Wesseling has a writer's background, not a football background. If you listen to the ATL Podcast, it'll become clear that those guys are media entertainers first, and analysts second. Which is fine. I just wouldn't get too bent out of shape over anything they write.

Old 04-07-2014, 10:08 AM
Hall of Famer

Denver is the class of the division and it has nothing to do with the off season moves. It's going to take a couple years of drafting and rebuilding to overtake them. We need another good draft 2-3 starters this year and next, then we'll talk.
Old 04-07-2014, 12:27 PM
<< . . . . . . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by R4PT0R View Post
Ridiculous article. As someone said in the other thread, within 10 words they manage to say we are playing checkers not chess. That we were 'very mediocre' and 'snuck in' the 'back door'. This guy has no idea what he is talking about. Guess they give articles to anybody these days.
That was me. In TWO other threads. Now it's popped up a third time, and in its own thread. Oh vey. What is with that stupid thing? We can't seem to throw it away!