Chargers Header
Forum Home News Media Vault Schedule Team Charger Girls Tickets Fan Zone Community En Espaņol Fantasy Football Pro Shop

Go Back   The Official Los Angeles Chargers Forum > Friar Talk > Friars General Discussions
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 08-16-2016, 01:08 PM
Hall of Famer

Default "Nearer my God to Thee" - the bitter end of the season

It will be recalled that the band aboard the Titanic, shortly before the ship sank, played "Nearer My God to Thee", symbolizing the unfortunate end for those still aboard.

I have loved parts of this season -- like Jankowski being a serial stealer of Home, Schimpf auditioning for his role in "The Natural" (guy who's been down in the Minor Leagues for 7 or 8 years gets a shot, and at times, you wonder if his bat is named "Wonder Boy", as the Home Run balls fly out of the yard), certain infielders like Ramirez and Solarte hitting Home Runs when you least expect it. However, the pitching -- when the main thing you can cheer for is "Maurer Power" (the late inning reliever), "Houston, we have a problem".

In short, we have reached that portion of the season, late August and September, where the team is hopelessly out of the race, and the winning or losing of games is almost irrelevant -- so they lose a few more. Until just a few days ago, I could squint my eyes and pretend we're having fun. Now, it's just a slog towards oblivion. I am reminded of a recent comic strip depicting a Marathon race in Hell, and the Devil says, "A free sweatshirt for all finishers!" The sweatshirt has the encouraging motto: "Still Dead".

At this point, my only speck of optimism is that I might move to Peoria, Arizona, fairly soon. Peoria is, of course, home to the Peoria Sports Complex, Spring Training home of the San Diego Padres and Seattle Mariners.

It is now generally conceded that the fictional "Mudville" in Earnest Lawrence Thayer's poem, "Casey At the Bat" is based on Stockton, California. Of course, we all remember the ending of that poem: "But there is no joy in Mudville -- mighty Casey has struck out!" 21st Century San Diego, as opposed to 19th Century Stockton, could now stand in for Mudville.

I am not at all sure as to what is the way out -- other than management's "Youth Movement". I have a few simple wishes before I die: (1) the Padres get to, and win, a World Series; (2) the Chargers get to, and win, the Super Bowl; and (3) the NBA Rockets wise up, leave Houston, and come home to San Diego. I am not holding my breath.

Postscript: Tuesday night score: Tampa Bay 15, San Diego 1. Ouch!

Last edited by Raider Disliker; 08-16-2016 at 07:30 PM..
Old 08-19-2016, 11:06 PM
Hall of Famer

Miserable failures? Yes.
Old 08-20-2016, 07:43 PM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caslon View Post
Miserable failures? Yes.
Then we get somebody like Schimpf who hits a 2 run Home Run and a 3 run Home Run to pull out a game that they had no business winning (not to speak of the 9 to 8 victory the night before). It's sort of like listening to the music of a brilliant composer like Beethoven or Sibelius, then listening to some modernist garbage. The contrast is hard to take -- occasional notes of brilliance, followed by spectacular failure.

Last edited by Raider Disliker; 08-20-2016 at 07:43 PM.. Reason: Close parenthesis