Chargers Header
Forum Home News Media Vault Schedule Team Charger Girls Tickets Fan Zone Community En EspaŮol Fantasy Football Pro Shop

Go Back   The Official Los Angeles Chargers Forum > Chargers Talk > General Discussions
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: Which defensive player do the Bolts MOST need to replace?
Teo 41 22.16%
Addae 35 18.92%
Flowers 35 18.92%
Emanuel 62 33.51%
Other--see my post 12 6.49%
Voters: 185. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-23-2017, 11:06 AM
Hall of Famer

Default Rosenthal ranks us #8 front seven

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap300...hawks-panthers

8) Los Angeles Chargers

Seven key cogs: Joey Bosa, Melvin Ingram, Corey Liuget, Denzel Perryman, Brandon Mebane, Kyle Emanuel, Jatavis Brown.

The list of defensive players I would rather have in 2017 than Joey Bosa: J.J. Watt, Von Miller and Khalil Mack.

The list of defensive players I would rather have for the next 10 years than Joey Bosa:

Bosa is a more natural fit for Gus Bradley's 4-3 defense in Los Angeles than as a 3-4 outside linebacker in San Diego -- and Bosa should be even scarier with a full offseason and training camp to get ready. He's surrounded by a group of players that covers all bases. Perryman provides thump at inside linebacker, while Brown adds speed. Ingram is a complete bookend to pair with Bosa, while Mebane and Liuget bring quality beef to the interior defensive line. The Chargers are ranked low on this list for the same reason that Bradley's old team in Jacksonville didn't make the list at all. Thus far, this group has looked better on paper than on the field.
Old 05-23-2017, 11:21 AM
Moderator of the Trenches

Except Bosa didn't play 34 OLB for us.

These writers are lazy.
Old 05-26-2017, 08:31 AM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacstud View Post

These writers are lazy.
I saw that. Still I liked the fact that he's considering us a top 10 D, even if it's just on paper.
Without having played a game under Bradley it's obviously a premature declaration but guessing is all we got right now.
I agree that we should be in the top 10 statistically after the dust has settled IF we stay moderately healthy.
Old 05-26-2017, 09:17 AM
Embrace the change

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonorajim View Post
I saw that. Still I liked the fact that he's considering us a top 10 D, even if it's just on paper.
Without having played a game under Bradley it's obviously a premature declaration but guessing is all we got right now.
I agree that we should be in the top 10 statistically after the dust has settled IF we stay moderately healthy.
And yet you still put credence into the article.
Old 05-26-2017, 09:21 AM
Embrace the change

Quote:

These writers are lazy.
So much emphasis has been put on just getting stories out to fill the sites that honest, in depth analysis is a thing of the past.
Old 05-26-2017, 02:07 PM
I had 6k post poof gone

Default McCain entered the offseason feeling primed to succeed at the LEO position.

http://www.chargers.com/news/2017/05...radleys-system
By Ricky Henne

Chris McCain Standing Tall in Gus Bradley's System

Week 2 of OTAs
Itís been impossible to miss Chris McCain on the practice field this offseason.
After all, how do you miss a 6-5, 236-pounder who along with Joey Bosa is the tallest player on the Boltsí defense?
After joining the Chargersí practice squad last season, McCain is looking to carve out a meaningful role under Defensive Coordinator Gus Bradley. The former Cal standout has actually appeared in 20 NFL games for the Miami Dolphins and New Orleans Saints since entering the league in 2014 as an undrafted free agent, logging a pair of sacks in limited snaps.
However, he firmly believes Bradleyís system affords him his first real chance to establish himself as a force in the NFL. McCain entered the offseason feeling primed to succeed at the LEO position. His first two weeks of OTAs have only reinforced that notion.
ďAs the speed end, I can play a little more freely on the open side,Ē he said. ďI can show a little more of what I can do with my speed. The LEO is a good fit for me with my body type and what Iím good at. I think it helps me show what I bring to the table for the coaches. (Thatís) a lot of aggression. I hustle every play. No matter how tired I get. I play aggressively full speed and all out. I love to get after it, and I can do that at the LEO.Ē
He also notes his unique frame suits the new position.
ďIíve got long limbs, but Iím also pretty fast. I can threaten from the end with my speed, but also get you off-balance and come inside. I know Iím a real long, lanky guy, but I use that to get pressure and affect the quarterback. With the snaps Iím getting, I think Iím showing up on film a lot. I get good and bad feedback. Even when you do well you can always improve and do better, but Iím feeling comfortable. I believe Iím taking full advantage this offseason.Ē
McCain knew heíd have a chance after conversations with former teammate and close friend Andre Branch, who played under Bradley for three seasons in Jacksonville.
ďI never studied Gusí defense, and the defenses I was a part of were completely different. But his defense is very good. I played with a guy he coached in Jacksonville in Andre, and he is my body size. He did really (well) at the LEO position. He was always in a good spot and I loved how he did things. And I watched him before I even knew Gus was going to be here! Now that Gus is here, I see how Gus likes aggressive, big guys with speed. Thatís me. So, I think this fits what I can do.Ē
Itís important to note that Bradley isnít the only coach McCain is lauding this offseason. Heís worked closely with Defensive Line Coach Giff Smith, who he vows has taken his game to new heights.
ďI just love being around Coach Giff. I am trying my best not to let him down. He lets me play my game. Heís made me better technician. I really just love being around him. He is perfect for someone like me.Ē
Joey Bosa knows the value Smith brings to a young defensive lineman like McCain. The 21-year old credits his position coach for getting the most out of him in 2016, which ended in Bosa capturing Defensive Rookie of the Year honors.
ďLuckily, I had an amazing coach in college to set me up for the NFL, but you canít really ask for a better coach than Giff. Schematically, he really knows defense. We work hand-in-hand and together well to take everybody to the next level when it comes to hand usage and pass rush moves. Itís cool being at a high level like this to work alongside Giff. He gives me ideas, but he is open to ideas I give him. Itís certainly been nice, and itís why he does a good job with young players like Chris.Ē
Old 05-26-2017, 02:24 PM
Hall of Famer

Quote:

These writers are lazy.
If we had stuck with the 3-4 defense,
like we should have,
Bosa would be a great OLB.

Old 05-26-2017, 04:11 PM
Hall of Famer

There's some competition for LEO. Ingram, Attaochu, Landrum and McCain. Philon & Rochell back up Bosa.
Old 05-26-2017, 04:24 PM
more mojo please

I'm not "rooting" for anyone in particular
And I just want to see a true competition at Leo but
My guess is that it becomes obvious by the end of 2017
That JA is the best Leo we have and likely make ingram expendable
If still he plays 2017 under the tag

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 05-26-2017, 08:45 PM
Veteran

Is S. Merriman the best LEO the Chargers had?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Maniaque 5