Chargers Header
Forum Home News Media Vault Schedule Team Charger Girls Tickets Fan Zone Community En Espaņol Fantasy Football Pro Shop

Go Back   The Official Los Angeles Chargers Forum > Chargers Talk > General Discussions
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 05-21-2017, 08:24 PM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by topcat4477 View Post
Correct, and you can start with drafting busts like Fluker, Watt and Teo. I don't think TT did all this in isolation. It's a joint decision, and you have to believe the two top decision-makers are the GM and HC...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dha View Post
ways to deflect blames on coaches that are no longer in the organization and off of TT. Coaches usually coach, GMs are the team builders. Of course coaches has inputs but the GM makes the ultimate final decisions.

There are far more voices that go into a draft pick than just the GM and HC.....and depending on the organization, the final call might very well be made by the owner, not the GM. In the Bolt organization, I am guessing that the collective is GM, HC, someone from Scouting, J Spanos and position specific coaches when it gets down to 2-3 options (players). There is a bunch of questions getting asked/answered, with each person presenting viewpoints from their respective area of responsibilities, before a decision is made. The people that make it into these positions are almost always strong personalities, and as such, these exchanges can get very intense. To put it simply, it isn't just wait until it is your turn to pick, and the GM says take this guy.

GO BOLTS !
Old 05-21-2017, 10:46 PM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by frozendisc View Post
There are far more voices that go into a draft pick than just the GM and HC.....and depending on the organization, the final call might very well be made by the owner, not the GM. In the Bolt organization, I am guessing that the collective is GM, HC, someone from Scouting, J Spanos and position specific coaches when it gets down to 2-3 options (players). There is a bunch of questions getting asked/answered, with each person presenting viewpoints from their respective area of responsibilities, before a decision is made. The people that make it into these positions are almost always strong personalities, and as such, these exchanges can get very intense. To put it simply, it isn't just wait until it is your turn to pick, and the GM says take this guy.
Agree, Monsieur Frozen, that there are other voices besides GM and HC, but those are two of the MAIN voices that carry a lot of clout in the draft...unless you're someone like Al Davis or the Johnny Highball Browns Owner, or Jerry Jones...
Martinas Rankin, OT, Mississippi State
3. Derrick Nnadi, DT, Florida St.
4. Rashaad Penny, RB, SDSU
Jamarco Jones, OT, Ohio State
Johnathan Abram, S, Mississippi State
7. Nic Shimonek, QB, Texas Tech
Old 05-22-2017, 07:33 AM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Agree, Monsieur Frozen, that there are other voices besides GM and HC, but those are two of the MAIN voices that carry a lot of clout in the draft...unless you're someone like Al Davis or the Johnny Highball Browns Owner, or Jerry Jones...
I can't speak to how it is in any other organizations room, but I know Berg really goes to far measure to empower everyone in the conversation to speak their thoughts freely. While in Ice Hockey we are looking at what will the player be in 2-4 years, which clearly involves subjective views, most owners do not have the evaluation skills to make these calls....and don't. Football is a much more 'now' draft, and therefore has less guess involved, imho. Clearly opinions can still be all over the spectrum, as just looking at the recent draft and QB's....who is the most ready ? This is why a fervent conversation is wise and productive towards making the best choice I believe.

GO BOLTS !
Old 05-22-2017, 07:57 AM
Hall of Famer

Let's get fervent.
Slauson/Pulley
Are essentially
THE two Centers
We do have
With experience
Taking NFL snaps.
There's your two
Center candidates.
Only so many ways
Of doing this.
Declare your Oline.
Declare now.
Or are you
A Trencher
After all?...
Zachary Crabtree
Martez Carter
Darius Leonard
Bryce Crawford

The woodMock '18 ...analysis/v2 soon
Old 05-22-2017, 08:30 AM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Correct, and you can start with drafting busts like Fluker, Watt and Teo. I don't think TT did all this in isolation. It's a joint decision, and you have to believe the two top decision-makers are the GM and HC...
The broadcast looks at LAC's draft room showed Telesco on the phone, Lynn & J Spanos close by along with many other resources I can't name. Putting their board together was a team effort. Scouts primarily, then position coaches, coordinators, etc. after the season ends and the reviews begin. This year featured a lot of new voices.
I don't know what went on with TT & MM but both were new to the GM & HC jobs. Mistakes were made.
I'd be very surprised if Telesco were not able to look back and see where he could have made better decisions.
It was a learning experience.
Old 05-23-2017, 02:30 PM
Hall of Famer

http://www.boltsfromtheblue.com/2017...date-from-otas

Posted this link in another thread but it is a nice write up about OTAs today.

Interesting the O-line combinations they used. Might not mean much except that they are just trying out different combos.
Old 05-23-2017, 02:34 PM
Power of 51

Okung and Hairston at RT ?
Barksdale and Burwell at LT ?

They are obviously looking at all combos. Baring injury, Okung will be your starting LT.
Old 05-23-2017, 02:37 PM
Power of 51

I think the missing link----the one guy that could elevate the whole unit------is Tuerk.

If he could fit at C or Guard, it drives talent to the other spots. Just my opinion.

(although if Pulley just takes a quarter step forward in his game this year---he is Gold.)
Old 05-23-2017, 02:46 PM
Boltgang74

Just as long as Wiggins stays off the field!Really hope we come up with a better option at RT this season then all Barks no bite dale.
Old 05-23-2017, 03:38 PM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chargerfreak View Post
Okung and Hairston at RT ?
Barksdale and Burwell at LT ?

They are obviously looking at all combos. Baring injury, Okung will be your starting LT.
I thought so for a second too but the way the list it is from Right to left.