Chargers Header
Forum Home News Media Vault Schedule Team Charger Girls Tickets Fan Zone Community En Español Fantasy Football Pro Shop

Go Back   The Official Los Angeles Chargers Forum > Chargers Talk > Quarterback Talk
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 10-24-2016, 07:32 PM
Hall of Famer

Default LT: Chargers would have won the Super Bowl in 2006 with Brees at QB

This article is about a month old, so may have been posted already. I just saw it though. LT thinks the team would have gone all the way in '06 with Brees at QB. Says LT:

“If Drew had been our quarterback [in 2006], we would have won the Super Bowl. There were a lot of circumstances that were in play — obviously, Drew’s injury right at the end of the (2005) season and the front office wasn’t willing to make the (financial) commitment to keep him.

“Philip hadn’t played enough to get it done at that time.”

http://thebiglead.com/2016/09/29/lad...-bowl-in-2006/

LT might have a point, as it is true that Rivers was a rookie starter at that time. Still, with all the turnovers we had that day, no guarantee that Brees gets it done either.
Old 10-24-2016, 07:35 PM
Hall of Famer

With all due respect......who cares. My memory of LT's final day with the Chargers are not great.
Old 10-24-2016, 07:36 PM
Hall of Famer

The biggest problem I have with this idea is that if you look at that game against the Patriots, Rivers wasn't in the top 5 reasons they lost. Maybe not in the top 7 or 8.

Suggesting that having Brees there would have made the outcome different, while conceivable, is just as speculative as saying that if Rivers, Gates and LT hadn't been hurt in 2007 we'd have won the Superbowl that year. Nothing more than idle daydreaming.
Old 10-24-2016, 07:37 PM
Hall of Famer

Why do many like to live in the past???!!!. Stop eating the Member Berries. This should go to a hindsight section if only we had one.
Old 10-24-2016, 07:37 PM
Obtain Glory

LT the analyst is annoying me. LT the Charger is the greatest
Old 10-24-2016, 07:38 PM
Hall of Famer

I believe that view of his was brought up weeks ago here.
Old 10-24-2016, 07:43 PM
Hall of Famer

we may have beaten the pats, but there's no telling if we'd be 14-2 with Brees. Maybe we'd have been the 4 seed.

Regardless, Marty wouldve found a way to blow it.

-Mario Lopez
Old 10-24-2016, 07:44 PM
Hall of Famer

Shoulda, coulda, woulda but didn't. A young Tom Brady took over for an injured Drew Bledsoe to lead the Patriots in an upset win in the Super Bowl. Brady led them for a come from behind victory on the biggest stage. He did it.

Magic Johnson as a 20 year old rookie and with an injured Jabbar on the bench, led the Lakers to a championship with a game for the ages. No excuses, injuries...if only's. These guys are special and made everyone around them better and were just money on the biggest stage. They thrived under pressure.

Saying Brees would of done the same is just mere speculation and nice daydreaming...merrily...merrily life is but a dream. Continue to daydream
Old 10-24-2016, 07:45 PM
Hall of Famer

Default LT ranks Norv last on the list of coaches he played for

Also found this recent radio interview with LT. He was asked to rank the coaches he played for. He ranked Marty first and Norv last. LT says:

"Norv was a great playcaller. The reason I think that he didn't have as much success as a head coach is because he lacked the ability to connect with the players and to motivate them."

https://cdn3.vox-cdn.com/uploads/cho...omlinson.0.m4a
Old 10-24-2016, 07:53 PM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rivers2Gates49 View Post
Also found this recent radio interview with LT. He was asked to rank the coaches he played for. He ranked Marty first and Norv last. LT says:

"Norv was a great playcaller. The reason I think that he didn't have as much success as a head coach is because he lacked the ability to connect with the players and to motivate them."

https://cdn3.vox-cdn.com/uploads/cho...omlinson.0.m4a
No secret LT wasn't in love with norv. Marty was like a dad to him. A loser dad who couldn't think straight when under pressure. Norv took over and had success with the Chargers. LT was injured most of 08 and 09. If LT could've played in the 07 championship Norv may have been at the top of his list.

-Mario Lopez