Chargers Header
Forum Home News Media Vault Schedule Team Charger Girls Tickets Fan Zone Community En Espaņol Fantasy Football Pro Shop

Go Back   The Official Los Angeles Chargers Forum > Chargers Talk > Quarterback Talk
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 01-16-2017, 09:21 PM
Do! Do Not! ...No Try!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crime Time View Post
He will still need a decent team to put up good numbers- if he throws 20+ picks each year the next 3 years, it won't help his cause.

I personally think he is a great QB and is HOF-worthy, but it's going to depend on the next couple of years. I don't think he has to win a Super Bowl, but he has to have better seasons going forward.

With a good team, he could put together a couple of 30 TD/10 INT seasons which would really boost his cause, even if he didn't win a Super Bowl. If he did that AND won a Super Bowl, then he'd be a HOF'er for sure.
Without a Super Bowl trophy, he is not a HOFer.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 01-22-2017, 02:02 PM
Solar Eclipse Ready

Yeah as a SB trophy helps you out a lot. He does have the numbers though.
Old 02-08-2017, 05:42 PM
Hall of Famer

Yes, now close this.
Old 08-04-2017, 06:21 PM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canmore View Post
Flacco has a SB trophy. You think he's better than Rivers?
Old 08-05-2017, 01:23 AM
Do! Do Not! ...No Try!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDCPB View Post
Flacco has a SB trophy. You think he's better than Rivers?
Probably not and he has one. When I think of the elite QBs Rivers comes up short. He is in the group just below. With a Super Bowl ring the story changes. He really enters the discussion. Without it, sorry.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 08-05-2017, 07:05 AM
Bandwagon Homer Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canmore View Post
When will the HOF be stripping Dan Marino of his gold jacket?

Los Angeles Super Chargers!
Old 08-05-2017, 08:03 AM
Hall of Famer

Sorry Mr. Fouts we will have to take back your gold jacket too. You came close but had no Super Bowl appearances or wins.

Ultimately, Rivers will get into the hall of fame. 1st ballot certainly not...as a Senior after 20 years of eligibility maybe.

The current class of Hall of Famers LT, Kurt Warner, Marshall Faulk, Terrell Davis, Deion Sanders and Michael Irvin talked about what qualities get you into the Hall of Fame. They talked more about attributes then statistics.

What impact you made in the game? Many took different paths to getting there free agent to 1st round picks, long to brief careers. The moments you we're given how big an impact you made on the game?

Consistency. How long you held that standard of excellence. One- three years or 5 and above?

Greatness...how did you dominate the game? Did your opponent had to account for you while game planning the week before? Assign a double team, chip out the backfield, blitz? Davis mentioned sweating the week before having to account for Seau when the Broncos played the Chargers.

Does Rivers meet any of the above attributes? I don't know and this debate on this thread tells you Rivers would be waiting a long long time before he gets into the hall of fame. I think Air Coryell will get in before Rivers.

Ultimately, he gets in because he is a modern day Dan Fouts. I do hope he proves me wrong by ending his career with a championship. Rivers is a hall of fame person. No debating that he is a family man and first rate team player through and through. No activism on pro-life issues...no drama in the locker room...none of that. We tip our hat to you Phillip more tipping will be done once you're long gone.
Old 08-05-2017, 11:08 AM
PADS 2021 WS. I CALLED IT

A few years ago I thought he was a no doubt HOF. He has the yards and TD's to get him in but that is kind of watered down in today's passing league.

Rivers has never been a sure fire top 5 QB in his career. He's always been borderline top 10. That's okay if you are winning SuperBowls or at least making noise in the playoffs, but he's only made 1 playoff appearance in the last 7 years, in the midst of his prime.

Do you think Mathew Stanford is a HOF? I don't, but their numbers are awfully similar.

PR is a hard sell if he finishes his year in a 10 year playoff drought having never made it to a SuperBowl. I think he needs to make a couple deep runs to have a chance.
Old 08-05-2017, 11:11 AM
<< Eeyooh, boy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Padres15 View Post
A few years ago I thought he was a no doubt HOF. He has the yards and TD's to get him in but that is kind of watered down in today's passing league.

Rivers has never been a sure fire top 5 QB in his career. He's always been borderline top 10. That's okay if you are winning SuperBowls or at least making noise in the playoffs, but he's only made 1 playoff appearance in the last 7 years, in the midst of his prime.

Do you think Mathew Stanford is a HOF? I don't, but their numbers are awfully similar.

PR is a hard sell if he finishes his year in a 10 year playoff drought having never made it to a SuperBowl. I think he needs to make a couple deep runs to have a chance.
Copy / Paste agree

Old 08-05-2017, 12:53 PM
Do! Do Not! ...No Try!

Quote:
Originally Posted by chargertom View Post
When will the HOF be stripping Dan Marino of his gold jacket?
Marino was widely regarded as the best QB of his era or the runner-up. Sorry, Rivers is not in that tier.