Chargers Header
Forum Home News Media Vault Schedule Team Charger Girls Tickets Fan Zone Community En Espaņol Fantasy Football Pro Shop

Go Back   The Official Los Angeles Chargers Forum > Chargers Talk > AFC West
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 11-29-2016, 03:09 AM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by charger1_sj View Post
Most of what you said is true. Except that we do not control our destiny. As pointed out many teams currently have better records than we do. Even if we go 10-6 we could lose out if those other teams don't lose many games. KC is 3 game up on us, Denver 2, Miami 2 and that doesn't even take into consideration all the other listed teams. Then there is the tie breaker which we currently lose with Indy and Miami. We're up on Houston, but they may win their division.

Quote:
KC has the toughest schedule but they are 3 games up on us with 5 to play.
Our best chance at this point appears to be beating out Denver, Miami and pray no other team makes it to 10-6. Very long shot.
If the Colts win the AFC South their tiebreaker over us is moot. We have the tiebreaker over the Texans and Titans.

The Broncos don't have any more easy games after Jacksonville. The Dolphins are doing good now but they'll be playing some teams who are also in position for the playoffs.

We have to avoid a tie with the Chiefs. I don't think we would have the tiebreaker over KC.
Old 11-29-2016, 11:09 AM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDCPB View Post
If the Colts win the AFC South their tiebreaker over us is moot. We have the tiebreaker over the Texans and Titans.

The Broncos don't have any more easy games after Jacksonville. The Dolphins are doing good now but they'll be playing some teams who are also in position for the playoffs.

We have to avoid a tie with the Chiefs. I don't think we would have the tiebreaker over KC.
Houston currently has a better record than we do. In fact there are currently 9 AFC teams with a better record than us. So the first order of things is to catch some of these teams in the standings, at least get it down to 4-5 teams.

I expect Denver to beat both Jax and Ten. That would give them 9 wins. Then they'll have to fight it out with NE, KC and Oak. They most likely win one of those games finishing 10-6. Assuming we win out it would go to the tie breaker. I think if they lose to one of KC or OAK we would win the tie breaker.

Miami is more of a problem than Denver as they hold the tie breaker. They also have two winnable games and three tough ones. But if they win one of those they beat us out.

Then there is Indy, Balt and Pitt to worry about. So it's still way to early to figure things out.
Old 11-29-2016, 12:51 PM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
KC has the toughest schedule but they are 3 games up on us with 5 to play.
Our best chance at this point appears to be beating out Denver, Miami and pray no other team makes it to 10-6. Very long shot.

Here is their remaining schedule.

KC @ ATL

OAK @ KC

TEN @ KC

DEN @ KC

KC @ SD

KC could drop 3-4 of their next 5 considering one of their games is against us. It's possible. But if they win 3 or more of the next 5, they deserve the playoffs either way. I'm not sure I see Miami dropping 3 of their next 5 with the way they are playing, but ya never know. I think out of the lot, Miami has the easiest path to WC spot right now.
Old 11-29-2016, 12:59 PM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD SneakKing View Post
Here is their remaining schedule.

KC @ ATL

OAK @ KC

TEN @ KC

DEN @ KC

KC @ SD

KC could drop 3-4 of their next 5 considering one of their games is against us. It's possible. But if they win 3 or more of the next 5, they deserve the playoffs either way. I'm not sure I see Miami dropping 3 of their next 5 with the way they are playing, but ya never know. I think out of the lot, Miami has the easiest path to WC spot right now.
KC maybe unreachable for us even if they lose 3 of their next 5. They may still hold the tie breaker over us depending on who they lose to. They would have to lose 4/5 in order for us to ensure we beat them out. Unlikely.

Denver is the move likely candidate to beat out as we win the tie breaker against them.

That leaves Miami, a giant hurdle.

But we can't yet rule out Buffalo, Indy, Houston, Tenn, Pitt and Balt although we hold the tie breaker over Houston and Tenn. Indy has us beat.

Here is the current situation:

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/news/nf...044239713.html
Old 11-29-2016, 01:03 PM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDCPB View Post

With KC it could get interesting. If somehow KC loses all 3 of their remaining division games (and win their other 2 games) and Chargers win out, KC and SD would both sit at 10-6 with a 3-3 record in the division and 7-5 in conference. Not sure how tie breaker plays out.
Old 11-29-2016, 01:12 PM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD SneakKing View Post
With KC it could get interesting. If somehow KC loses all 3 of their remaining division games (and win their other 2 games) and Chargers win out, KC and SD would both sit at 10-6 with a 3-3 record in the division and 7-5 in conference. Not sure how tie breaker plays out.
The more obvious choice to beat out is Denver not KC, since we hold the tie breaker against them. If KC wins one more Division game they would hold the tie breaker, not to mention that they are 3 games up on us with 5 to play.

KC and Miami currently hold the edge. We're on the outside looking in.
Next three weeks either starts eliminating some teams or things start getting interesting.
Old 11-29-2016, 01:56 PM
Hall of Famer

For the Dolphins. We need the Patriots to play their starters in week 17 against Miami. We need the Raiders to keep doing well so that they push the Patriots to keep doing well. Oakland and New England are going to be fighting for the number 1 seed in the AFC. I think the Dolphins could lose 3 or 4 of their remaining games. I expect the Ravens to beat Miami. The Bills and Jets always gives Miami fits. Then there's Arizona who I think isn't just going to bow down.

For the Chiefs. I think they are capable of losing 3 or 4 of their last 5 games. The Falcons, Raiders, and us can surely beat KC. If the Titans can somehow beat KC that will help a lot. All of this while we win out.
Old 11-29-2016, 02:13 PM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
The more obvious choice to beat out is Denver not KC, since we hold the tie breaker against them. If KC wins one more Division game they would hold the tie breaker, not to mention that they are 3 games up on us with 5 to play.

KC and Miami currently hold the edge. We're on the outside looking in.
Next three weeks either starts eliminating some teams or things start getting interesting.
That only works if Miami fails to win 3 or more of their next 5 - if they do then Great! I'm assuming that if we beat out KC, we will be beating out Denver in the process either way. KC is ahead of Denver right now. If KC and Miami are both ahead of us at the end of the season, none of this will matter. Both WC spots will be gone as Oakland will more than likely already have taken the division title. If Miami is in, we need to get ahead of both KC and Denver either way as I originally suggested.

Bottom line. Win the next 5 and hope for a gift from the football ***s

Let's start with TB this week.

Last edited by SD SneakKing; 11-29-2016 at 02:25 PM..
Old 11-29-2016, 03:31 PM
Hall of Famer

I'm ruling out catching KC as they are 3 games up on us and would hold the tie breaker with one more division win. They are currently 3-0 in the division. We are 1-3.

In a tie breaker we would have Denver beat assuming they lose one game to either KC or Oakland.

Miami is a problem. We'd have to beat them out, the tie breaker goes to them and they are currently 2 games up on us.

Bottom line Miami, KC and Den need to lose a lot of games and then pray the chips fall our way with the rest of the teams.
Old 11-29-2016, 04:04 PM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
I'm ruling out catching KC as they are 3 games up on us and would hold the tie breaker with one more division win. They are currently 3-0 in the division. We are 1-3.

In a tie breaker we would have Denver beat assuming they lose one game to either KC or Oakland.

Miami is a problem. We'd have to beat them out, the tie breaker goes to them and they are currently 2 games up on us.

Bottom line Miami, KC and Den need to lose a lot of games and then pray the chips fall our way with the rest of the teams.
pretty easy scenario and NE doesnt even get in the playoffs.

The only thing that is slightly unlikely is the tie between denver and oakland, but we should be sitting as the 1 seed in 2017.

-Mario Lopez