Chargers Header
Forum Home News Media Vault Schedule Team Charger Girls Tickets Fan Zone Community En Espaņol Fantasy Football Pro Shop

Go Back   The Official Los Angeles Chargers Forum > Chargers Talk > Draft Talk
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 12-12-2016, 06:38 PM
Hall of Famer

Default Time to also start grooming Rivers's replacement

Okay, so the draftnik gurus are saying it's a weak QB class...I get it...but, on the other hand, this is an opportunity for the Bolts to find a hidden gem in the mid or late rounds...need I mention Dak Prescott, anyone? I for one am getting tired of Rivers getting rattled by pressure and then slinging the rock into double coverage and getting picked off. So, my wish list QB should be cool under pressure, and preferably have good enough footwork and mobility to stay out of trouble so he won't get rattled. It would even be nice to have a QB who is an occasional dual-threat...who breaks off one or two scrambles a game to keep the opposing D honest. Here we go:

1. DeShone Kizer, QB, Notre Dame
Height: 6-4. Weight: 230.
Projected 40 Time: 4.70.
Projected Round (2017): 1.
12/7/16: In this analyst's opinion, Kizer is the top quarterback prospect for the 2017 NFL Draft. He has a better physical skill set than Mitch Trubisky or Deshaun Watson. Some league sources have told me they think Kizer will be a high first-rounder.

Kizer is capable of making beautiful touch passes with superb accuracy and ball placement while being under fire from the pass rush. His field vision is very good as he moves his eyes through his progressions, even with defenders bearing down on him. Additionally, Kizer has the arm strength to make all the throws and beat good coverage. He consistently shows the ability to drop in accurate touch passes downfield and the mobility to make plays with his feet. Kizer is an excellent pocket passer.

Kizer had a rough game against N.C. State while playing in a downpour from Hurricane Matthew. He started this year with a tremendous game against Texas and gave evidence to NFL teams that he could be a future franchise quarterback. Kizer lofted in some beautiful passes between defenders against the Longhorns. Kizer also showed excellent decision-making while maintaing poise under the pass rush of Texas.

2. Mitch Trubisky*, QB, North Carolina
Height: 6-3. Weight: 220.
Projected 40 Time: 4.84.
Projected Round (2017): 1-3.
12/7/16: Trubisky looks like a second-round-caliber prospect, but that doesn't preclude teams from reaching on him in the first round. Teams have had second-day grades on many quarterbacks who ended up going as top-32 picks. Sources from three different teams told me they graded Trubisky in Round 2.

Trubisky has been very efficient in 2016, displaying good decision-making and accuracy. The junior has beaten up on some weak secondaries this year, but it still is impressive that he had three straight games throwing for over 400 yards without throwing a single interception.

3. Davis Webb, QB, California
Height: 6-5. Weight: 230.
Projected 40 Time: 4.78.
Projected Round (2017): 2-3.
12/7/16: In 2016, Webb completed 62 percent of his passes for 4,295 yards with 37 touchdowns and 12 interceptions. There is some buzz about him in the scouting community as Webb has a good arm with pocket presence and flashes good field vision. He can also make some pretty throws downfield and fit the ball into tight windows.

Webb also suffers from poor decision-making. He needs to do a better job of working through his progressions as he far too often pre-determines where he is going with the ball and stares down some reads.

4. Deshaun Watson*, QB, Clemson
Height: 6-2. Weight: 205.
Projected 40 Time: 4.60.
Projected Round (2017): 2-4.
12/7/16: I surveyed teams around the league to see where their initial draft grades were for Watson. Two playoff teams told me they had third-round grades on Watson. One said it was on the low end as a third- to fourth-rounder. Another playoff team told Walt that they had a third-round grade on Watson. Two other teams said they had second-round grades on Watson. One team thought that Watson still could be a late first-round quarterback, similar to Teddy Bridgewater, because of the dire need at the position across the NFL.

In this draft analyst's opinion, I would grade Watson as a third-round pick for the 2017 NFL Draft. Watson has been off with his accuracy this year, displaying poor ball placement, especially when going downfield. He has missed a lot of potential touchdowns as a result.

5. Pat Mahomes*, QB, Texas Tech
Height: 6-3. Weight: 219.
Projected 40 Time: 4.70.
12/7/16: Mahomes completed 66 percent of his passes in 2016 for 5,052 yards with 41 touchdowns and 10 interceptions. He also rushed for 12 touchdowns. Some team sources are intrigued by Mahomes, but others are skeptics. Mahomes has a good arm and has flashed the ability to be a pocket passer. He also has athleticism with enough mobility to buy time and pick up some yards on the ground. Mahomes is a sleeper who could be a steal.

One playoff team told me they have a second-round grade on Mahomes and compare him to Derek Carr coming out of Fresno State. Two other teams said they had Mahomes in the third round, while one playoff general manager said he had him in Round 4.

6. Luke Falk*, QB, Washington State
Height: 6-4. Weight: 205.
Projected 40 Time: 4.79.
12/7/16: In 2016, Falk has completed 71 percent of his passes for 3,935 yards with 37 touchdowns and 10 interceptions. He has a quality arm to hurt teams from the pocket, but his numbers are inflated by a college spread offense. Falk also needs to work on moving his eyes and working through progressions rather than locking onto one receiver or one side of the field.

7. Brad Kaaya*, QB, Miami
Height: 6-4. Weight: 209.
Projected 40 Time: 4.72.
Projected Round (2017): 3-4.
12/7/16: One general manager of a playoff team that is very skilled at quarterback evaluation said they had Kaaya as fifth-round pick. They feel he has no mobility, can't throw well while under pressure, and while his arm is decent, he doesn't blow them away. Two other teams said they graded Kaaya as a late third-, early fourth-rounder.

8. Mason Rudolph*, QB, Oklahoma State
Height: 6-5. Weight: 235.
Projected 40 Time: 4.85.
Projected Round (2017): 3-5.
12/7/16: Rudolph has completed 63 percent of his passes on the season for 3,777 yards with 25 touchdowns and four interceptions. He also has six rushing touchdowns. Rudolph threw for 540 yards against Pittsburgh. The junior has nice size with an arm to deliver the ball downfield. He throws nice touch passes and locates passes well. However, he is going to need a lot of work on his field vision for the NFL. Rudolph rarely works off his primary read and constantly stares down his first option.

9. Chad Kelly, QB, Ole Miss
Height: 6-2. Weight: 215.
Projected 40 Time: 4.75.
Projected Round (2017): 4-6.
12/7/16: A torn ACL ended Kelly's 2016 season early, and given the timing of the injury, he won't be able to work out completely for NFL teams prior to the 2017 NFL Draft. Kelly will attend the 2017 NFL Scouting Combine surely, but won't be able to do all the drills. His team interviews will be critical as he is going to get grilled about his off-the-field antics. Kelly completed 63 percent of his passes in 2016 for 2,758 yards with 19 touchdowns and eight interceptions.

10. Taysom Hill, QB, BYU
Height: 6-2. Weight: 225.
Projected 40 Time: 4.68.
12/7/16: In 2016, Hill has completed 60 percent of his passes for 2,323 yards with 12 touchdowns and 11 interceptions. He has eight rushing touchdowns as well. Hill put together an ugly game against Utah with a number of poorly thrown passes and turnovers. His play has been disappointing, but he did lead BYU to an impressive double-overtime win over Mississippi State.

11. Tyler Stewart, QB, Nevada
Height: 6-4. Weight: 220.
Projected 40 Time: 4.78.
12/7/16: Stewart completed 63 percent of his passes this season for 1,161 yards with nine touchdowns and three interceptions. He demonstrated the ability to throw some precision passes in the short to intermediate part of the field, but needs to work on his field vision and not holding onto the ball too long. In 2015, Stewart completed 57 percent of his passes for 2,139 yards with 15 touchdowns and seven interceptions.

12. Seth Russell, QB, Baylor
Height: 6-3. Weight: 220.
Projected 40 Time: 4.68.
12/7/16: In 2016, Russell has completed 55 percent of his passes for 2,126 yards with 20 touchdowns and eight interceptions. 7/29/16: Russell was enjoying a tremendous 2015 season as he beat up on weak opponents and put together some staggering numbers. Across seven games, Russell completed 60 percent of his passes for 2,104 yards with 29 touchdowns and six interceptions.

13. Baker Mayfield, QB, Oklahoma
Height: 6-2. Weight: 214.
Projected 40 Time: 4.71.
12/7/16: In 2016, Mayfield has completed 71 percent of his passes for 3,669 yards with 38 touchdowns and eight interceptions. He has six rushing touchdowns, too.

14. Josh Dobbs, QB, Tennessee
Projected 40 Time: 4.74.
Projected Round (2017): 5-7.
12/7/16: In 2016, Dobbs has completed 63 percent of his passes for 2,655 yards with 26 touchdowns and 12 interceptions. He also has seven rushing touchdowns.

15. Riley Ferguson*, QB, Memphis
Height: 6-4. Weight: 210.
Projected 40 Time: 4.83.
12/7/16: In 2016, Ferguson has completed 63 percent of his passes for 3,326 yards with 28 touchdowns and nine interceptions. He's in his first year as a starter after replacing Paxton Lynch.

16. Greg Ward Jr., QB, Houston

17. J.T. Barrett, QB, Ohio State

18. Kenny Hill*, QB, TCU

19. Patrick Towles, QB, Boston College

20. Mitch Leidner, QB, Minnesota

http://walterfootball.com/draft2017Q...CrQCfjMZSF3.99
Old 12-12-2016, 06:53 PM
Release DJ Fluker!!

I keep reading the QB class this coming year is just as bad as this year.

I would rather wait until next season to grab a QB.
Old 12-12-2016, 08:17 PM
LAme

I want to wait until next year too but it's mainly a $$ decision. If we draft him this year he's going to be coming off his rookie deal by the time Rivers is retiring and we risk having an Osweiler scenario.

That and spending a draft pick on QB feels like throwing in the towel on Rivers' career. We need to go all out for a SB push this next two years.

1. Malik Hooker, S
2. Forrest Lamp, OG
3. Tim Williams, Edge
4. Jake Butt, TE
5. Desmond King, CB/S
6. Stevie Tu'ikolovatu, NT
Old 12-12-2016, 09:56 PM
more mojo please

Good reasons to wait for 2018 draft
But if a franchise qb is there in round 2, I wouldn't be against it.
Depending on who's our coach post rivers, wouldn't mind going the FA alex smith route either... can't believe I'm typing this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 12-12-2016, 10:04 PM
LAme

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDC-SBV-1D View Post
Good reasons to wait for 2018 draft
But if a franchise qb is there in round 2, I wouldn't be against it.
Depending on who's our coach post rivers, wouldn't mind going the FA alex smith route either... can't believe I'm typing this.
Ha! It's been that kind of season I guess.

1. Malik Hooker, S
2. Forrest Lamp, OG
3. Tim Williams, Edge
4. Jake Butt, TE
5. Desmond King, CB/S
6. Stevie Tu'ikolovatu, NT
Old 12-12-2016, 10:14 PM
Learn to THINK

Another Rivers thread?

Now?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 12-13-2016, 01:34 AM
Power of 51

J.T. Barrett, QB, Ohio State

You can get him in the mid-rounds. If he ain't panning out, draft an early rounder in 2018.

I would say his strength is accuracy.

Old 12-13-2016, 05:17 AM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chargerfreak View Post
J.T. Barrett, QB, Ohio State

You can get him in the mid-rounds. If he ain't panning out, draft an early rounder in 2018.

I would say his strength is accuracy.
This is exactly my thought. Except, I have us taking 2 QBs late in the draft. If we hit a Dak type guy, awesome! If not, Draft high in the 2018 class which will have much more talent at the position.

Dobbs is my guy late in this draft. He isnt the most physically gifted QB but he makes good reads and has a very high football IQ (Something TT likes).

Round 1 Pick 7: Christian McCaffrey, RB, Stanford
Round 2 Pick 6: Takkarist McKinley, OLB/DE, UCLA
Round 3 Pick 7: Desmond King, FS/CB, Iowa
Round 4 Pick 6: Nathan Peterman, QB, Pittsburgh
Round 5 Pick 7: Erik Magnuson, OT, Michigan
Round 6 Pick 6: Dylan Cole, OLB, Missouri State
Round 7 Pick 7: Ahmad Thomas, FS, Oklahoma
Old 12-13-2016, 07:29 AM
Moderator of the Trenches

Nobody before the 5th.
Old 12-13-2016, 07:35 AM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boltup90 View Post
This is exactly my thought. Except, I have us taking 2 QBs late in the draft. If we hit a Dak type guy, awesome! If not, Draft high in the 2018 class which will have much more talent at the position.

Dobbs is my guy late in this draft. He isnt the most physically gifted QB but he makes good reads and has a very high football IQ (Something TT likes).
Here's some more on Dobbs:

Josh Dobbs, QB, Tennessee
Projected 40 Time: 4.74.
12/7/16: In 2016, Dobbs has completed 63 percent of his passes for 2,655 yards with 26 touchdowns and 12 interceptions. He also has seven rushing touchdowns.

In the season opener against Appalachian State, Dobbs showed some accuracy issues with poor ball placement and struggled to move the ball through the air. He had a number of overthrows and also some fumbling issues. That set the tone as Dobbs has not looked like an NFL pocket passer this season as he struggles with accuracy and operating out of the pocket.

7/29/16: Dobbs played his tail off for Tennessee in 2015 even though the Volunteers came up short in some tough losses. On the year, he completed 60 percent of his passes this season for 2,125 yards with 15 touchdowns and five interceptions. On the ground, he averaged 4.2 yards per carry for 476 yards and seven scores. Dobbs is more of a college spread quarterback, but perhaps he will show more pocket passing skills in 2016.

In 2014, Dobbs completed 63 percent of his passes for 1,206 yards with nine touchdowns and six interceptions. He has physical talent, but he needs to develop his overall game as a passer.

http://walterfootball.com/draft2017Q...tGSQRwQGkQc.99