Chargers Header
Forum Home News Media Vault Schedule Team Charger Girls Tickets Fan Zone Community En Español Fantasy Football Pro Shop

Go Back   The Official Los Angeles Chargers Forum > Chargers Talk > Bolt News
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 02-04-2017, 05:11 PM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by chargertom View Post
ARE YOU KIDDING ME??!!??!!??!!??!!

NO CORYELL AGAIN??!!??!!??!!??!!

This has gone beyond ridiculous. Way, way beyond.
Way to be happy for that Tomlinson guy......

Round 1 Pick 7: Christian McCaffrey, RB, Stanford
Round 2 Pick 6: Takkarist McKinley, OLB/DE, UCLA
Round 3 Pick 7: Desmond King, FS/CB, Iowa
Round 4 Pick 6: Nathan Peterman, QB, Pittsburgh
Round 5 Pick 7: Erik Magnuson, OT, Michigan
Round 6 Pick 6: Dylan Cole, OLB, Missouri State
Round 7 Pick 7: Ahmad Thomas, FS, Oklahoma
Old 02-04-2017, 05:26 PM
Pollyana-ish Homer Mod

Thumbs down

Innovator Don Coryell misses out on Hall of Fame again
Eric D. Williams
ESPN Staff Writer

SAN DIEGO -- Don Coryell's time may yet be coming.

Longtime NFL coach Mike Martz, the creator of "The Greatest Show on Turf," based his prolific offense on Coryell's pass-first offense. And Martz believed it was time for his mentor to make his way into the Pro Football Hall of Fame.

"This is by far his best chance to get in, and there's no reason for him not to," Martz said before the vote. "He's impacted this game so much. Everything we do is a takeoff of what he did."

Coryell was first a finalist for the Pro Football Hall of Fame in 2010, and now for a fourth time this year. Once again, he was named among 15 finalists, but fell below the 80 percent requirement and was not voted into the Pro Football Hall of Fame on Saturday.

Coryell's offense was dubbed "Air Coryell" because of its ability to create explosive plays through the air. He was one of the developers of the pass-catching tight end, spawned the three-digit, play-calling system that some NFL teams still use and originated the one-back offense.

Coryell also designed the "passing tree" of receiving routes that is now used at all levels of football.

Coryell's offense led the league in passing yardage six straight seasons, from 1978 to '83, while he was with the Chargers and again in 1985.

And that offense produced three Hall of Famers in receiver Charlie Joiner, tight end Kellen Winslow and quarterback Dan Fouts.

"Don Coryell has earned his place in Canton," Fouts told the team's website. "First and foremost, I would not be in the Hall of Fame had it not been for my nine years as Don's quarterback with the Chargers.

"It was Coryell -- with his revolutionary vision, his unique style of leadership and his successful implementation of the most innovative offense the NFL had ever witnessed -- that led me and my teammates, Kellen Winslow and Charlie Joiner, to the steps of the Hall of Fame."

Coryell finished 72-60 as coach of the Chargers. He led San Diego to the team's first two AFC title games in 1980 and '81 but failed to advance to the Super Bowl.

Coryell was inducted into the Chargers Hall of Fame in 1994 and in 2010 was named one of the 50 greatest Chargers of all time.

Before his time in San Diego, Coryell led the St. Louis Cardinals to division championships in 1974 and '75. Coryell's Cardinals finished 42-27-1 over five seasons.

He died in 2010 at age 85.

The sticking point for Coryell not getting in is he did not win a Super Bowl while with the Chargers or the Cardinals. And he went 3-6 in the playoffs.

However, Coryell's significant contributions to the game should outweigh that missing piece on his résumé.

Super Bowl-winning coaches who studied under Coryell include John Madden and Joe Gibbs. Other coaches who went on to successful careers as offensive coordinators include Martz, Jim Hanifan, Ernie Zampese, Rod Dowhower, Al Saunders and Tom Bass.

"As long as he gets in while I'm alive," said Martz, when asked about the long wait for Coryell to get into the Hall of Fame. "I just want to see him get in. I just would be so happy and thrilled to see him get in.

"There's hundreds, if not thousands, of guys that played for him over the years or have coached either with him or against him that want him to get in, too. I think if you're in the profession as a player or coach, you know the impact that he had. It's harder for the general fan to appreciate that. But from the football aspect, it's a no-brainer."

http://www.espn.com/blog/san-diego-c...n-hall-of-fame

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

You want analysis? Don't ask me: I'm just a Pollyanna lying idiotic know-nothing ball-watching stat boy.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 02-04-2017, 05:27 PM
Bandwagon Homer Moderator

Yet Jerry Freaking Jones gets in?

That's great. Another reason to hate Dallas.

Los Angeles Super Chargers!
Old 02-04-2017, 05:28 PM
Pollyana-ish Homer Mod

Quote:

Why they have a separate category for GMs and owners, while the coaches need to compete against players to get in???

You want analysis? Don't ask me: I'm just a Pollyanna lying idiotic know-nothing ball-watching stat boy.
Old 02-04-2017, 05:44 PM
Hall of Famer

Quote:

3 SB trophies.

Old 02-04-2017, 05:47 PM
Pollyana-ish Homer Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daygoboy6191 View Post
3 SB trophies.
Jack Kent Cooke won 3. Where's his bust???

And Jimmy Johnson (whose bust is not in Canton and almost certainly won't be due to coaches being in the same category as players) was responsible for all three Lombardi's.

Old 02-04-2017, 05:49 PM
Moderator of the Trenches

Jerry Jones wrote a check to get in. Congrats.

Coryell not getting in is ridiculous.
Old 02-04-2017, 05:59 PM
Hall of Famer

Jerrah before Barry Switzer ?

Ridiculous.

Old 02-04-2017, 07:53 PM
Veteran

Air Coryell should be in - period. how many coaches have an offensive system named after them that is still talked about nearly 40 years later? he was the first coach to pass routinely on 1st and 10.

it can't be all about SB titles...

such a shame....
Old 02-05-2017, 01:35 AM
Moderator of Insanity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daygoboy6191 View Post
3 SB trophies.
So what - he's an owner, not a player, not a coach.