Forum Home News Media Vault Schedule Team Charger Girls Tickets Fan Zone Community En Espaņol Fantasy Football Pro Shop

Go Back   The Official Los Angeles Chargers Forum > Chargers Talk > Bolt News
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 09-05-2018, 01:24 PM
HelloKitty Defense

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maniaque 5 View Post
Ekeler and Newsome are the best #2-3 RB since Turner and Sproles.
I remember a time when we had LT/Turner/Sproles at RB and Brees/Rivers at QB. The 2018 squad is probable the deepest since that era.

Gordon/Ekeler/Newsome is like 75% as good as that historical trio.
Old 09-05-2018, 01:39 PM
Go Chargers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowcker View Post
Not sure what your issue is here. Yes, the Steelers have drafted two QBs in the last two years because Ben has talked about retirement (which BTW puts them in a different situation than the Chargers where Rivers has not). As the 15 year veteran with 2 super bowl rings, it his not his place to explain to the backup QB how they can best help the team? Isn't that active tutoring?

Is the issue that he said he was shocked? Maybe he was shocked because a guy he's spent a lot of time with in the QB room just lost his job. Sure it is a fact of life in the NFL but that doesn't mean his reaction is wrong.
The Giants have also drafted QB's the last 2 yrs, I don't think Eli has been talking about retirement, or has he?, they just discarded last yrs 3rd rd pick Davis Webb and kept this yrs 4th rounder Kyle Lauletta plus a vet, the Steelers discarded the vet and kept the 2 younger recent draft picks, Philip was taken in the same draft and did mention he and his wife had discussions about retirement, but it appears he wants to play out his contract and play in the new stadium scheduled to open in 2020? .... and maybe beyond?

Quote:
When Charlie was drafted in 2006, Rivers was a first year starter and the Chargers were in an entirely different situation than after he established himself. When he returned to the Chargers in 2012 he was a 5 year veteran and was fulfilling the job as I described it. Hopefully you can see that that is what I was talking about.

Cardale is on the practice squad and IMO those guys are interns with strong throwing arms. That is a differnt job. They are not there to help Rivers. They are there to sit and learn. The Chargers always seem to have a QB on the PS. I was not refering to them.
The only reason I mentioned Charlie was because he wasn't a vet like the others mentioned when he first joined the Chargers as a 3rd rd pick, aside from that I can see it when a guy is considered the long term starter (health permitting) having a vet behind him, but who knows how much longer Philip will play?, he's closer to the end of his career than the beginning.

On the very last highlight .... I can't remember the last QB to be on the PS, Brad Sorensen? .... that's been a few yrs ago, can't recall any more recently.

Thanks for the story, along with the one Joe posted, it's interesting reading and makes sense for QB's who are more in their prime vs later in their career IMO.

One last thing on big Ben, he was 'surprised' when they drafted Mason Rudolph this yr too - lol.

Go Chargers!
Old 09-05-2018, 02:16 PM
Pollyana-ish Homer Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Da_Cha-gers View Post
The only reason I mentioned Charlie was because he wasn't a vet like the others mentioned when he first joined the Chargers as a 3rd rd pick, aside from that I can see it when a guy is considered the long term starter (health permitting) having a vet behind him, but who knows how much longer Philip will play?, he's closer to the end of his career than the beginning.
One thing to note about when Whitehurst was drafted in 2006: Billy Volek was signed as the primary backup while Whitehurst was the developmental QB.

The Chargers kept 3 active QBs on the roster during the 2006-2009 stretch: PR (1), Volek (2), Whitehurst (3).

They dropped it to down to 2 active QBs after they traded Charlie in 2010.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

You want analysis? Don't ask me: I'm just a Pollyanna lying idiotic know-nothing ball-watching stat boy.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 09-05-2018, 02:24 PM
Go Chargers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeMcRugby View Post
One thing to note about when Whitehurst was drafted in 2006: Billy Volek was signed as the primary backup while Whitehurst was the developmental QB.

The Chargers kept 3 active QBs on the roster during the 2006-2009 stretch: PR (1), Volek (2), Whitehurst (3).

They dropped it to down to 2 active QBs after they traded Charlie in 2010.
Thank you for your correction and clarification Joe.

Go Chargers!
Old 09-05-2018, 02:32 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by 21and500 View Post
imo ben wants a caddy, a good caddy, like jones, not necessarily a successor.

active tutoring on how to help ben perhaps, but his priority should be in whatever the coaches tells him.
if it's one in the same, then fine, but ben isn't his boss, and proving his worth to ben isn't his job.

if ben ever looked up from the sideline when Jones was playing, he'd realize jones is a horrible, on-field nfl qb, so "shocked" is a strange reaction for me.
Yes, a caddy appears to be what Rivers wants also as evidenced by having the likes of Volek, Whitehurst, Clemens and Smith as the backup QB. Which is the point I have been trying to make. Everyone who argues that the Chargers need to draft a QB to sit behind Rivers as a succession plan (when Rivers has not expressed a desire to hang up the cleats) or argue that the Chargers should keep the rookie because he may develop into a good QB some day where as Smith's ship has passed is missing the point. When you have a franchise QB playing at a high level that has shown he is durable, you should: 1. Spend draft picks elsewhere to make the team better and 2. Have a QB2 that is a caddy.
Old 09-05-2018, 02:43 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Da_Cha-gers View Post
The Giants have also drafted QB's the last 2 yrs, I don't think Eli has been talking about retirement, or has he?, they just discarded last yrs 3rd rd pick Davis Webb and kept this yrs 4th rounder Kyle Lauletta plus a vet, the Steelers discarded the vet and kept the 2 younger recent draft picks, Philip was taken in the same draft and did mention he and his wife had discussions about retirement, but it appears he wants to play out his contract and play in the new stadium scheduled to open in 2020? .... and maybe beyond?
However, Eli was benched last year in week 13 in favor of Geno Smith. Maybe the Giant's concern at this point isn't that Eli is talking about retirement, but that he isn't talking about retirement.
Old 09-05-2018, 02:49 PM
Go Chargers!

Quote:
Yes, a caddy appears to be what Rivers wants also as evidenced by having the likes of Volek, Whitehurst, Clemens and Smith as the backup QB. Which is the point I have been trying to make. Everyone who argues that the Chargers need to draft a QB to sit behind Rivers as a succession plan (when Rivers has not expressed a desire to hang up the cleats) or argue that the Chargers should keep the rookie because he may develop into a good QB some day where as Smith's ship has passed is missing the point. When you have a franchise QB playing at a high level that has shown he is durable, you should: 1. Spend draft picks elsewhere to make the team better and 2. Have a QB2 that is a caddy.
He discussed retirement with his wife around late 2015, here's one article and it has a link to an article by Michael Gehlken when he worked @ UTSD that's more in depth:
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap300...last-offseason

One more recent from Aug '18:
https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...er-in-my-head/

Philip is signed for 2 yrs, he's said he'd like to play in the new stadium in 2020 or whenever it opens, he's probably got a 'few' yrs left, but there's no guarantees.

It seems prudent to a least be looking at younger QBs, C. Jones may or may not pan out, he's in his 3rd yr and doesn't look nearly ready.

Go Chargers!
Old 09-05-2018, 02:59 PM
Go Chargers!

Quote:
However, Eli was benched last year in week 13 in favor of Geno Smith. Maybe the Giant's concern at this point isn't that Eli is talking about retirement, but that he isn't talking about retirement.
Ha Ha Ha! ....

Both the HC/GM lost their jobs over that, apparently it caused quite a public backlash in NY.

The point is all 3 of the '04 top first rd QB picks who have had really good careers are getting up there, hard to know how many more yrs they have left, just because a QB plays to 40 doesn't mean all QB's will.

The Giants and Steelers have both used mid rd picks the last 2 drafts on QB, the Chargers haven't, which is OK, but they should be on the lookout IMO.

Go Chargers!
Old 09-05-2018, 03:56 PM
Blame Butts for me

Quote:
These people will miss the point less if you stay on topic.
And Bill Belichick disagrees.