Chargers Header
Forum Home News Media Vault Schedule Team Charger Girls Tickets Fan Zone Community En Espaņol Fantasy Football Pro Shop

Go Back   The Official Los Angeles Chargers Forum > Chargers Talk > Quarterback Talk
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 11-19-2012, 03:48 PM
swingtrader180 swingtrader180 is offline
Rookie
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: beverly hills
Posts: 2
Default We Shoulda Kept Brees

Norv, A.J. All just symptons of the real problem.

Who hired the guys who let Drew go and let Eli push them around because he stamped his feet?

Well Spanos?????? Please explain that. I mean those two guys have only led their teams to 3 of the last 5 Superbowls. Where exactly does the buck stop in San Diego?????
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 11-19-2012, 06:13 PM
BoltzSTi's Avatar
BoltzSTi BoltzSTi is offline
Veteran
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: San Marcos
Posts: 382
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by swingtrader180 View Post
Norv, A.J. All just symptons of the real problem.

Who hired the guys who let Drew go and let Eli push them around because he stamped his feet?

Well Spanos?????? Please explain that. I mean those two guys have only led their teams to 3 of the last 5 Superbowls. Where exactly does the buck stop in San Diego?????
Teams weren't exactly knocking at Drew's door. His shoulder was badly injured and had a real small chance of ever throwing again.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 11-19-2012, 08:31 PM
THORjr. THORjr. is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: TORRANCE
Posts: 879
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoltzSTi View Post
Teams weren't exactly knocking at Drew's door. His shoulder was badly injured and had a real small chance of ever throwing again.
And thats exactly when a GOOD GM steps in and takes him. The possible upside is tremendous, not to mention, a repaired torn labrum is not nearly as big of a deal as for a pitcher in baseball, and lots of them recover just fine.

I had the same injury, and the main issue after its done is range of motion. I can no longer extend my arm backwards as far as I use to when throwing a baseball, and it affects my throwing.

With Brees, they could have done some simple tests, ask the surgeon what he thinks, and then sign him back up.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 11-19-2012, 08:36 PM
JammerHammer23's Avatar
JammerHammer23 JammerHammer23 is offline
Draft This Man
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: ???
Posts: 24,997
Default

They did offer Brees a contract, it just didn't have as much guaranteed money as NO.... Dr. James Andrews, the most renowned doctor in sports, calling it a unique injury.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vau...08/2/index.htm
__________________

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

sean of BSX
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 11-19-2012, 08:42 PM
abernardojr's Avatar
abernardojr abernardojr is offline
Yes indeed
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: .
Posts: 4,166
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoltzSTi View Post
Teams weren't exactly knocking at Drew's door. His shoulder was badly injured and had a real small chance of ever throwing again.
You'd think more fans would know that, but often times it's the people that don't frequent forums or follow the team closely that don't remember why Brees left.


And in response to that other post, the Eli trade was a smart move, particularly at that time, because we got a ransom for a player that wasn't going to play here anyway. If Rivers would stop playing terribly, Merriman didn't get his knee blown up/take steroids, and Kaeding didn't choke in the playoffs, that'd still be one of the best draft-day trades.
__________________

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

The Right Side of the Rivalry

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 11-19-2012, 08:48 PM
Totally Bolted's Avatar
Totally Bolted Totally Bolted is offline
Moderator of Delusions
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Some where north of San Diego
Posts: 20,073
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by THORjr. View Post
And thats exactly when a GOOD GM steps in and takes him. The possible upside is tremendous, not to mention, a repaired torn labrum is not nearly as big of a deal as for a pitcher in baseball, and lots of them recover just fine.

I had the same injury, and the main issue after its done is range of motion. I can no longer extend my arm backwards as far as I use to when throwing a baseball, and it affects my throwing.

With Brees, they could have done some simple tests, ask the surgeon what he thinks, and then sign him back up.
Great post Jammer.
Just love this. A good GM would have? 30 other teams all passed him up. Miami looked, but even they were not sold. that 31 teams. So I guess only N.O has the good GM?

Quote:
Still, Brees faced an arduous rehabilitation, with long odds. "Lord, I was just hoping to give him a functional shoulder," says Andrews. "An average athlete would not recover from this injury."
Quote:
I thought, my God, what an injury," says Andrews. Four days later he examined Brees and diagnosed a rare 360-degree tear of the labrum, the ring of cartilage around the entry to the shoulder joint. During surgery Andrews discovered a deep, partial rotator cuff tear. He says the damage in Brees's shoulder joint represented "one of the most unique injuries of any athlete I've ever treated."
__________________

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

The best Offense is a good Defense.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 11-19-2012, 08:51 PM
ShocKWavE's Avatar
ShocKWavE ShocKWavE is offline
Betrayed
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: San Diego
Posts: 1,225
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JammerHammer23 View Post
They did offer Brees a contract, it just didn't have as much guaranteed money as NO.... Dr. James Andrews, the most renowned doctor in sports, calling it a unique injury.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vau...08/2/index.htm
A quote from that article:

Smith says, "People say the offer was an insult. I don't care what people think. If [Brees] wanted to come back, he would have accepted the offer."

Brees wanted desperately to return to San Diego. "I was supposed to be the guy to take that team to the next step," he says. "But then I started thinking, How can I go back when that's what they think of me?"


It was a tough personnel call for a bad injury....but it's interesting quote.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 11-19-2012, 08:51 PM
chargertom's Avatar
chargertom chargertom is offline
Bandwagon Homer Moderator
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Richfield
Posts: 72,999
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by THORjr. View Post
With Brees, they could have done some simple tests, ask the surgeon what he thinks, and then sign him back up.
Seriously? Ask the surgeon?

You mean the guy who publicly stated that he was just hoping to give Brees a functional shoulder?

Who performed groundbreaking surgery to repair the damage?

Is that the surgeon they should have asked?
__________________

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Los Angeles Super Chargers!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 11-19-2012, 08:51 PM
JammerHammer23's Avatar
JammerHammer23 JammerHammer23 is offline
Draft This Man
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: ???
Posts: 24,997
Default

Brees was passed on for Daunte Culpepper. Enough said. Don't come to a thread with that poor of an argument.
__________________

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

sean of BSX
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 11-19-2012, 08:53 PM
JammerHammer23's Avatar
JammerHammer23 JammerHammer23 is offline
Draft This Man
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: ???
Posts: 24,997
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShocKWavE View Post
A quote from that article:

Smith says, "People say the offer was an insult. I don't care what people think. If [Brees] wanted to come back, he would have accepted the offer."

Brees wanted desperately to return to San Diego. "I was supposed to be the guy to take that team to the next step," he says. "But then I started thinking, How can I go back when that's what they think of me?"


It was a tough personnel call for a bad injury....but it's interesting quote.
He says the damage in Brees's shoulder joint represented "one of the most unique injuries of any athlete I've ever treated."

Andrews and two other surgeons mended the labrum with the unheard-of total of 11 surgical anchors (three or four is common) and also repaired the rotator cuff. The 90-minute procedure was performed arthroscopically--a godsend for Brees. If the doctors had had to cut through shoulder tissue, his recovery would have been prolonged by months.

Still, Brees faced an arduous rehabilitation, with long odds. "Lord, I was just hoping to give him a functional shoulder," says Andrews. "An average athlete would not recover from this injury."

All that needs to be said. We had a great backup plan, no need to throw everything away on someone who might have never been the same. Loomis lucked into Brees being healthy.
__________________

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

sean of BSX
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 12:08 AM.


© 2017 Los Angeles Chargers. All Rights Reserved.