Go Back   The Official Los Angeles Chargers Forum > Chargers Talk > Quarterback Talk
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 11-22-2012, 01:47 PM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by v-jaxdabeast View Post
I'm tired of people saying that we should have kept brees. In hindsight, yes we should have. But when you have a qb who has been decent his whole career and then had one good season with a serious shoulder injury versus a top-5 pick qb sitting on your bench, would you really give brees a big contract and not play rivers? There's a reason only 2 teams even had any interest in brees, and one(miami) ruled that his shoulder wasn't healthy enough to play in the future. Have AJ and Dean made many mistakes in the draft free agency etc.? Yes. But if you look at it at the time they made the decision, not all of them are terrible decisions. 75% of people here were happy that we got meachem/royal/johnson instead of v-jax, but now we criticize AJ for not paying him, as all three of those have not lived up to expectations. So please, stop looking at everything in hindsight and look at it based on the situation that the decision was made in.
You are correct that we were happy when we signed Meachem, Royal.
However at the time we were going through the VJ issue some if not many were saying that the situation was mis-handeled and guess what it was.
Old 11-22-2012, 01:49 PM
Moderator of Delusions

Quote:
Originally Posted by charger1_sj View Post
Ridiculous argument since they signed Gates 3 weeks later with the CBA still in question.

Bottom line the Chargers did not want to sign VJ to a long term contract for whatever reasons. That's the story right there.

Wasn't making an arguement. The point was VJ should have been signed to a 1 year deal. I was just stating I didn't think VJ would of signed it and why. The CBA was more of a question. Though the difference with VJ and Gates in risk for off field issues was night and day.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

The best Offense is a good Defense.
Old 11-22-2012, 01:51 PM
All-Pro

Quote:
You are correct that we were happy when we signed Meachem, Royal.
However at the time we were going through the VJ issue some if not many were saying that the situation was mis-handeled and guess what it was.
I don't think it was mishandled this past year, but the year before when he held out because we refused to give him a long contract
Old 11-22-2012, 01:56 PM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Totally Bolted View Post
Wasn't making an arguement. The point was VJ should have been signed to a 1 year deal. I was just stating I didn't think VJ would of signed it and why. The CBA was more of a question. Though the difference with VJ and Gates in risk for off field issues was night and day.
Not sure about the time frame we are discussing. During the CBA debacle VJ didn't have a choice. We could have traded him or offered him something better than the $200K he ended up making. I don' know but we may have gained some good will had we signed him for about $8M instead of playing hard ball.

The next year we F-Tagged him. If we're talking about that time frame then no. VJ was free and was not going to sign a 1 year contract so we didn't have a choice but to franchise him since we did not or could not work out a long term deal.
Old 11-22-2012, 02:08 PM
Moderator of Delusions

Quote:
Not sure about the time frame we are discussing. During the CBA debacle VJ didn't have a choice. We could have traded him or offered him something better than the $200K he ended up making. I don' know but we may have gained some good will had we signed him for about $8M instead of playing hard ball.

The next year we F-Tagged him. If we're talking about that time frame then no. VJ was free and was not going to sign a 1 year contract so we didn't have a choice but to franchise him since we did not or could not work out a long term deal.
Totally on board with the missed signing. Though I did feel AJ extended an olive leaf by stating "sigh the tender and we'll see where it goes", VJ refused the tender @ 3 mill or something like that. I think if VJ would of signed went to camp the bolts would of worked something out with him Though VJ agents are to blame there i think. Once he refused and was payed chump change, the bad blood was done.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

The best Offense is a good Defense.
Old 11-22-2012, 02:54 PM

Quote:
No at that point it was decided. They simply could not work out a long term deal the Chargers liked. I don't know why but we can speculate that it had to do with his DUIs and most likely the length of the contract. VJ signed for 5 years in Tampa. He'll be nearly 36 when his contract is up. I'm sure the Chargers didn't want to be on the hook for $10M with a 35/36 year old WR.

Look at Meachum contract, 4 years. Royal 3. Floyd 2. This tells me they don't want to commit to long contracts with WRs that are aging. Smart or not that's what part of the decision seems to be based on.
I'm talking right after his DUI. And when the was not going to be a CBA. A year before the lockout. But you made a very valid point. That does make sense as far as his age goes. Spot on.
Old 11-22-2012, 03:08 PM

Quote:

He was franchised, and he didn't want to sign the tender, and held out. He wasn't allowed to play for 5 games based on his suspension. Mac held out as well, but he signed before. Jackson didn't.
Old 11-22-2012, 03:29 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by THORjr. View Post
Im not sure what the major gamble on the Saints part was.
I know about the money, but still.

think about it, when you spend a top no 1 pick on a QB, not only are you risking the money and having him be a bust, ala cryin ryan, but you also gave up that pick you could have used on getting a top notch player.

So, I think its less of a risk than when picking a QB in the first round, cuz you have to pay them gobs of money too, ala cryin ryan
Money and draft picks fade when you are playing for the biggest stakes there is - survival !

The number of people living in NOLA and in SELA was way down during those first post-katrina years and there were very real discussions on whether the area could even support an NFL team. Bottom line - they needed to sell tickets

If the signing of Brees had been a bust of the same proportion as the Phins signing of Culpepper, those fears could very well have been realized and the city would have lost its team.

When Brees were signed, the way he approached the city and went to work - both as the QB and leader of the team and even more importantly as a leader in the community, won over everyone. The Saints sold out every season ticket before the season even began and have had a +40000 waiting list since then.

So yes - Saints took an incredible gamble
Old 11-22-2012, 06:31 PM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Norv has played PR in meaningless games. Nobody has bat an eye. Are you saying Marty should have known Brees was going to get hurt. If not then where is the outrage with Norv?
I beleive the recent 4/5 post are about being outraged w/ Norv,and rightfully so.
Facts are that Brees's injury happened on Marty's watch much like PR's recent need to throw to the other team is on Norv's watch.
My comment was in line w/ the rest of the rediculousness you see on this board.
Old 11-22-2012, 06:50 PM
Rookie

Default We should have kept Brees

We did not need to keep Brees, we just need to stop choking. We had a 14-2 season and managed to lose a home playoff game to the Pats. Classic choke.

We have had the pieces in place in the past, but we choked. Fouts should have at least one SB ring and so should LT. But we found a way to lose, instead of win.