Chargers Header
Forum Home News Media Vault Schedule Team Charger Girls Tickets Fan Zone Community En Espaņol Fantasy Football Pro Shop

Go Back   The Official Los Angeles Chargers Forum > Chargers Talk > Quarterback Talk
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 11-19-2012, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JammerHammer23 View Post
They did offer Brees a contract, it just didn't have as much guaranteed money as NO.... Dr. James Andrews, the most renowned doctor in sports, calling it a unique injury.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vau...08/2/index.htm
Nice reid, errr, read. Thanks for that.
The most interesting part to me is it says he regained his full range of motion. That would have been enough for me to keep him.
Old 11-19-2012, 07:54 PM
Draft This Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by THORjr. View Post
The most interesting part to me is it says he regained his full range of motion. That would have been enough for me to keep him.
Yeah, but it is hard to fault AJ for not keeping him consideirng how bad it was. Plus, he happened to go to the perfect system.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

sean of BSX
Old 11-19-2012, 07:55 PM
Bandwagon Homer Moderator

Quote:
That's pure hindsight in action. Noone knew if he would ever recover after the surgery.

You've got a first round QB sitting on the bench, and you're gonna roll the dice on a maybe?

So they sign Brees, and trade Rivers, and then Brees goes down again. This time for good.

What then? Roast AJ some more for trading Rivers?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Los Angeles Super Chargers!
Old 11-19-2012, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by abernardojr View Post
You'd think more fans would know that, but often times it's the people that don't frequent forums or follow the team closely that don't remember why Brees left.

And in response to that other post, the Eli trade was a smart move, particularly at that time, because we got a ransom for a player that wasn't going to play here anyway. If Rivers would stop playing terribly, Merriman didn't get his knee blown up/take steroids, and Kaeding didn't choke in the playoffs, that'd still be one of the best draft-day trades.
I followed that quite closely. When I heard Brees went to NO, I almost cried. He has "it", the special things a champion QB has.
There are three things a great QB needs:
Smart enough to read the defense
Good enough to adjust on the fly
And "it", something about the attitude that "we are going to win" instead of , maybe, or I hope, I think we can. At any level, anyone who has managed/coached a team to multiple championships, know exactly what that is.
Old 11-19-2012, 08:01 PM
Moderator of the Trenches

Quote:
I followed that quite closely. When I heard Brees went to NO, I almost cried. He has "it", the special things a champion QB has.
There are three things a great QB needs:
Smart enough to read the defense
Good enough to adjust on the fly
And "it", something about the attitude that "we are going to win" instead of , maybe, or I hope, I think we can. At any level, anyone who has managed/coached a team to multiple championships, know exactly what that is.
Where was "it" in '05?
Old 11-19-2012, 08:02 PM
Bandwagon Homer Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacstud22 View Post
Where was "it" in '05?
"It" got benched for Flutie.

Los Angeles Super Chargers!
Old 11-19-2012, 08:02 PM
Moderator of the Trenches

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacstud22 View Post
Where was "it" in '05?
Pretty much where was "it" his whole time here and every year in NOLA they haven't won a title?
Old 11-19-2012, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Totally Bolted View Post
Great post Jammer.
Just love this. A good GM would have? 30 other teams all passed him up. Miami looked, but even they were not sold. that 31 teams. So I guess only N.O has the good GM?
Be honest now. It wasnt 30 teams that passed on him. Many already had a strong staring QB.
And see what miami has done since that year when they passed on him. Obviously it was a bad move by them.
In the SI article, it blatantly says he regained full range of motion, and thats what matter the most.

And one team didnt, who was that? Oh yea, NO, didnt they win a super bowl?

When you look at rosters of championship teams, there are always at least 2-3 players that unexpectedly performed great, whom most didnt think they would.
Old 11-19-2012, 08:08 PM
Diplomacy

At the time that Drew walked, it made sense to let him go, given that they then had #1 draft pick QB PR on the bench. Only one other team besides N.O. was interested in giving him the guaranteed money that he wanted and he did have a difficult surgery to recover from (though at the time, it 'sounded' as though the recovery was very doable.)

Brees was the perfect fit for that team and city when he signed. And it's unlikely he would have been able to do the same things in the Charger's system, on a grass turf home stadium.

Besides, he's really not relevant to the overall organizational issues that this franchise has.

And sadly, given that Norv was hired in the first place and is still here, it is unlikely that the ownership is going to be bringing in some kind of whiz-bang leadership, even if they could identify them/him.

Old 11-19-2012, 08:09 PM
Draft This Man

Quote:
Be honest now. It wasnt 30 teams that passed on him. Many already had a strong staring QB.
And see what miami has done since that year when they passed on him. Obviously it was a bad move by them.
In the SI article, it blatantly says he regained full range of motion, and thats what matter the most.

And one team didnt, who was that? Oh yea, NO, didnt they win a super bowl?

When you look at rosters of championship teams, there are always at least 2-3 players that unexpectedly performed great, whom most didnt think they would.
And yet, only SD and NO offered, so clearly, teams knew how bad it was....

Brees lucked into having Payton as a coach.

sean of BSX