Go Back   The Official Los Angeles Chargers Forum > Chargers Talk > Quarterback Talk
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 11-19-2012, 09:10 PM
Hall of Famer

Lots of hindsight bias in this thread. No one can see the future. Who knew Brees would turn into a HOFer? Who knew Rivers would decline so quickly? Who knew the Saints would actually win the big one? Fact is no one saw those things coming. That's life.
Old 11-19-2012, 09:11 PM
Moderator of Delusions

Quote:
Originally Posted by THORjr. View Post
Exactly. It wasnt even really a predictive statement, as he said, "never had done this before"

But again, again, I say, you need to look at the period between post surgery, and when AJ let him go, thats the critical time, not before the surgery.
Keep spinning it.

Brees was offered. He walk away.
Only two teams offered.
He had major reconstructive surgery, that wasn't really done before.
It's pure speculation based on hindsight to think he would of won here.
Lets talk about how we get to where we want this team, instead of talk about what we think could been if AJ had any good in him.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

The best Offense is a good Defense.
Old 11-19-2012, 09:14 PM
Bandwagon Homer Moderator

We shoulda kept Donnie Edwards.

Noone got dragged down the field 10 yards after first contact like he did.

Damn you, AJ!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Los Angeles Super Chargers!
Old 11-19-2012, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BitterFan View Post
I bet lots of Chargers fans who said we should of kept Brees are the same ones who were ripping on him when he was stinking up the joint and wanted him gone. LOL. You know it.
You know that for a fact?

One of the reasons I was happy we got him, was because of when we picked him in the draft, he was practically a freebie, oh well, easy come, easy go

As far as Brees never winning here, you dont know that. We will never know. What we do know is we never got to the bowl game. Which = failure. Brees = super bowl winner.

Its always a risk, but so is a new untested QB.

We arent talking about some avg joe QB either.

Drew Christopher Brees (/ˈbrs/;[1] born January 15, 1979)
Brees has been selected to the Pro Bowl six times in his career – with the Chargers in 2004 and the Saints in 2006, 2008, 2009, 2010, and 2011. He was the NFL's Comeback Player of the Year in 2004, the National Football League Offensive Player of the Year in 2008 & 2011, and the MVP of Super Bowl XLIV. During his Super Bowl victory in 2009, Brees tied a record for most completions in a Super Bowl with 32 (Super Bowl XLIV; tied with Tom Brady). Brees is the only quarterback in NFL history to reach 400+ yards passing in consecutive playoff games, which he has done in three straight postseason games (2010 vs. Seattle; 2011 vs. Detroit; 2011 vs. San Francisco). He was also selected by voters to appear on the cover of EA Sports' Madden NFL 11.[2] Sports Illustrated named him as its 2010 Sportsman of the Year.[3]
Brees holds the NFL single-season record for most passing yards in a season by a quarterback, with 5,476 yards, which he accomplished during the 2011 season. That year Brees also set NFL records for highest completion percentage in a season – 71.2%, most 300+ yard passing games in a season – 13, and most completions in a season – 468. Brees has the highest career completion percentage among all quarterbacks in NFL history with at least 2,500+ attempts – 65.7%.[4] He also has the highest career post-season completion percentage – 66.8%. Brees is currently the leader of most consecutive games with at least 1 TD pass – 53 (2009–present) surpassing Johnny Unitas, who threw a touchdown pass in 47 consecutive games (between 1956–1960, a record he held for 52 years). Brees is the fastest player in NFL history to reach 40,000 yards passing.[5] He is also the all-time NFL leader in career passing yards per game.[6]
Old 11-19-2012, 09:20 PM
Bandwagon Homer Moderator

His Wiki page could just have easily said:

Played for the San Diego Chargers.

Got hurt playing in a meaningless game, after being put in as starter by a head coach looking to pad his win stats for the year.

Suffered gruesome shoulder injury, and never recovered.

Los Angeles Super Chargers!
Old 11-19-2012, 10:54 PM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by chargertom View Post
We shoulda kept Donnie Edwards.

Noone got dragged down the field 10 yards after first contact like he did.

Damn you, AJ!!
Matt Wilhelm says hello.
Old 11-19-2012, 11:21 PM

Could've anyone guaranteed that Brees was going to come back after such a major surgery??? I remember reading no posts of keeping an injured Brees over a newly drafted Rivers.

There were concerns of Brees being able to come back and play at a high level. We need to stop living in the hindsight what it's.
Old 11-19-2012, 11:51 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by cthommes View Post
Matt Wilhelm says hello.
Damnit, you beat me to the punch. With Wiffhelm, his man would be 10 yds down the field before Wiffhelm knew he had to tackle him, and then 20, 30, etc, until paydirt. Then again, Wiffhelm is a Superbowl champion, so the Chargers should've kept him.
Old 11-20-2012, 12:10 AM
Kentucky Derby Winner

Quote:
Originally Posted by THORjr. View Post
I think our newest star receiver has had a number of big injuries.

But what I keep trying to get you guys to look at is, not how bad it was before the surgery, but how good it turned out.

Sometimes taking a chance is what it takes. Look at Brady, I think the Pats never thought he had it to be a starter. But they let their starting QB go and take a chance on Brady.

It's easy to say what if, case in point, what if Bobby Beathard had listened to Mike Riley who was begging him to take Tom Brady in the 6th round of the 2000 draft before the Pats picked him.
Old 11-20-2012, 07:35 AM
Known as "HelpMeOut"!

Seriously let it GO ALREADY!! I wanted to keep Brees, and told everyone we would be sorry if we let him go. I have been proven right, but to keep talking about it is beyond ridiculousness!! It's done and over with!!

We know AJ is the real problem, and I hope Dean sees it and fires him. I am scared that Norv will be fired and AJ will stay!! That scares me and keeps me up at night!!!
“There is a sense of urgency. I think you can only say 'We're close' and 'We're building' for so long. At some point we're built, let's go. It's time now to be one of those teams that are battling through January" Philip Rivers.

Rest in Peace Patrick!
Yes, he was my bird! :-(