Go Back   The Official Los Angeles Chargers Forum > Chargers Talk > General Discussions
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 10-19-2005, 10:53 AM
Los Angeles Chargers

Default LT Named AFC Offensive Player of the Week

Congrats to LT! Below is the partial NFL release...

Running back LaDAINIAN TOMLINSON of the San Diego Chargers, defensive end JARED ALLEN of the Kansas City Chiefs and punter TODD SAUERBRUN of the Denver Broncos are the AFC Offensive, Defensive and Special Teams Players of the Week for games played the sixth week of the 2005 season (October 16-17), the NFL announced today.

OFFENSE: RB LaDAINIAN TOMLINSON, SAN DIEGO CHARGERS

LaDAINIAN TOMLINSON became the fifth player in the Super Bowl era (since 1966) to rush, pass, and catch his way to a touchdown in a 27-14 win at Oakland to help lift San Diego to a 3-3 record. The other four players to accomplish this feat since 1966: New Englandís DAVID PATTEN (2001), Pro Football Hall of Famer WALTER PAYTON (1979) of Chicago, Atlantaís HARMON WAGES (1969), and DAN REEVES of Dallas (1967). Tomlinson reached the TD trifecta by halftime and in the process tied Pro Football Hall of Famer LENNY MOORE for the longest streak of consecutive games with a TD scored at 18. Moore composed his streak from 1963-65 for the Baltimore Colts. Tomlinson, the AFC's Offensive Player of the Week for the second time in four games, totaled 179 scrimmage yards: 140 rushing on 31 attempts with a seven-yard TD run and 39 receiving on two receptions, including a 35-yard touchdown catch and run. Late in the second quarter, Tomlinson took a handoff on the Raidersí four-yard line, rolled right, and completed a strike to tight end JUSTIN PEELLE for a 24-7 lead going into the intermission.

For the fifth-year veteran from TCU, this is his fifth career Player of the Week distinction and his second of the 2005 season.

Other nominees for AFC Offensive Player of Week 6 were:
  • Kansas City running back PRIEST HOLMES, who scored a touchdown both rushing and receiving. Holmes totaled 100 receiving yards on five receptions and ran the ball 14 times for 18 yards.
  • Indianapolis running back EDGERRIN JAMES, who scored three touchdowns on 23 carries for 143 yards (6.2 average) and also caught three passes for 16 yards in a 45-28 win against the Rams on Monday night.
  • Cincinnati wide receiver CHAD JOHNSON, who caught eight passes for 135 yards and one touchdown in a 31-23 win at Tennessee.
  • Buffalo running back WILLIS MC GAHEE, who rushed for a career-best 143 yards, including a one-yard TD run, on 29 attempts (4.9 avg.) in a 27-17 win against the Jets. McGahee has rushed for a touchdown in four consecutive games.
  • Cincinnati quarterback CARSON PALMER, who delivered a 121.2 passer rating by completing 27 of 33 passes (81.8 percent) for 272 yards and a pair of touchdowns without an interception. Palmer needs one more game with a 100+ passer rating to reach an NFL-record 10th consecutive 100+ performance.
  • Denver quarterback JAKE PLUMMER, who registered a 134.4 passer rating by completing 17 of 24 passes (70.8 percent) for a season-high 262 yards with two TDs without an interception.
  • Baltimore running back CHESTER TAYLOR, who carried the ball eight times for 92 yards (11.5 average), including a career-long rush of 52 yards in a 16-3 victory against Cleveland.

Old 10-19-2005, 11:26 AM
HBBoltFan

Is it too early to start talking about the NFL MVP being in SD this year? A number of prime time games and a bunch of east coast games will finally give LT the exposure that he deserves.

MVP should be the best player in the league, right?
Old 10-19-2005, 11:30 AM
like a jungle sometimes

Default duh!

That's like a no-brainer after his trifecta play this past week. Also, the joy was it was against those faiders!!!!!

"Another raider loss is another great day in America!"
Old 10-19-2005, 11:38 AM
BlitzPackage

Angry long overdue

L . T . M . V . P .
Old 10-19-2005, 11:46 AM
edgeof17

For whatever reason, it took a little longer for me to appreciate LT's talents. This past sunday's game I finally really saw what he's all about, and I've been watching him since he started with the team. Most amazing to me is those cuts he can do and his balance. Just when you think he's gonna fall over, he just keeps going. I LOVE those TD passes too, especially againt the Raiders! It's like an ultimate F-YOU to the Raider Nation!

~Jamie
Old 10-19-2005, 12:21 PM
Red headed step-child.

**Yawn** Another AFC offensive player of the week award.

Honestly LT, it IS getting boring...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 10-19-2005, 12:29 PM
geekster

It is interesting, having watched years of media snubs, to watch the "bow wave effect" of media attention for Ladanian Tomlinson at this point in his career... Suddenly he has talking heads and former Bolt adversaries referring to him as possibly the "best to RB ever play the game"...

All I know is that he has earned each and every accolade and know that it should continue for a long, long time. I just hope they don't forget what a wonderful person and citizen LT is in the process of all this recognition. It is one thing to be a great player - it is a far finer thing to be great "person" and a great player IMO.

I am a San Diego Charger fan all the way - but I would have the same admiration for Ladanian Tomlinson as a football fan regardless of what team he played for - and from this old Bolt fan you can consider that RESPECT!
Old 10-19-2005, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjwash
**Yawn** Another AFC offensive player of the week award.

Honestly LT, it IS getting boring...

LoL... at first I was about to rip into yah... then the sarcasm light went off...
Old 10-19-2005, 01:58 PM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by LightEmUp
LoL... at first I was about to rip into yah... then the sarcasm light went off...
HaHa me too man. I was like "I know we don't have fans that are THAT stupid". LoL
Old 10-19-2005, 03:54 PM
Moderator of Delusions

Quote:
Originally Posted by HBBoltFan
Is it too early to start talking about the NFL MVP being in SD this year? A number of prime time games and a bunch of east coast games will finally give LT the exposure that he deserves.

MVP should be the best player in the league, right?
Stephen A Smith (ESPN show Quite Frankly) was asked at the end of his show Monday during audience questions ' Who should be the NFL MVP?" WIthout hestitation Stephen said, "Ladanian Tomlinson! That man is bad ass. He not only is the best RB in the game, he could be, and you could argue he is, the best player in the entire NFL right now."

Gotta love it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

The best Offense is a good Defense.