Chargers Header
Forum Home News Media Vault Schedule Team Charger Girls Tickets Fan Zone Community En Espaņol Fantasy Football Pro Shop

Go Back   The Official Los Angeles Chargers Forum > Chargers Talk > Around the NFL
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 11-30-2012, 04:37 PM
Veteran

LOL...right on man...I don't have the time to figure out all the ifs, the numbers are on the table for everybody to see and come to their own conclusion...my conclusion is based on the assumption we would have to match the Bucs offer...reasonable enough...why would he stay here if we back loaded it more than the Bucs? He would want the same or better to stay right? These questions are rhetorical by the way...

By the way, the points in red were more critical than what you quoted and what I hoped you would address...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 11-30-2012, 05:06 PM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthonyVP27 View Post
LOL...right on man...I don't have the time to figure out all the ifs, the numbers are on the table for everybody to see and come to their own conclusion...my conclusion is based on the assumption we would have to match the Bucs offer...reasonable enough...why would he stay here if we back loaded it more than the Bucs? He would want the same or better to stay right? These questions are rhetorical by the way...

By the way, the points in red were more critical than what you quoted and what I hoped you would address...
In terms of the guarantees the two contracts would essentially be the same. The only thing that counts in the NFL is the guaranteed money. Now if you look at VJ's Bucs contract you'll see that nothing is guaranteed after his third season there. No difference to what the Chargers would have done in that regard. If VJ continues to produce there is no reason the Bucs wouldn't honor the last two years. If not he's gone.

Here is one possibility on the way the Chargers may have done it.

Year 1
Salary $1M
Signing Bonus $14M
Total $15M, same as Meach/Royal

Year 2
Salary $11M Guaranteed money of $26M paid off, Meach/Royal $8M
Diff $3M

Year 3
Salary $10M Not guaranteed. Meach/Royal $8M
Diff $3M

Year 4
Salary $10M Not guaranteed, Meach $6.5M, Royal gone someone else?

Year 5
Salary $10M Not guaranteed, Meach and Royal gone? Replacements???

So in the first 2 years the difference is $3M. I'd take VJ
Year 3 another $3M. Still take VJ.

Year 3 Meach, Royal and VJ could all be gone. Difference in the case of VJ the Chargers would take a $5.6M hit against the cap. In all cases replacements would be needed at a unknown cost.

I would take VJ's known production with PR over the unknown for the cost shown above. If you choose Meach/Royal then right now you are suffering in production. In the NFL you pay for production, therefore so far my theory is greater than your theory.

Now this assumes we would have signed VJ for $55M, the exact amount Tampa paid. There are reasons including comments coming from the horses mouth that states VJ would have taken less here. How much less is anyone's guess. At any rate at one point we could have signed him for $50M a sum the CMB scoffed at. That would have been $5M less than what he got in Tampa and the right move for both VJ and the Chargers.
Old 11-30-2012, 08:41 PM
Father's Day 2018

Really don't understand contracts either. But I do know that VJ needs to keep his mouth shut!
Old 12-01-2012, 01:21 AM
Power of 51

I usually don't look deep into the details of a contract. I know the basics/headlines and that's about it. But I looked over your post above. Meachem's is actually scaring the hell out of me. 7.5 mil signing bonus ??? WTH ? He has not even played well enough for a .75 mil signing bonus this year and I'm serious too.

His agent should have had a black ski mask on during negotiations.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 12-01-2012, 01:32 AM
Offseason Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chargerfreak View Post
I usually don't look deep into the details of a contract. I know the basics/headlines and that's about it. But I looked over your post above. Meachem's is actually scaring the hell out of me. 7.5 mil signing bonus ??? WTH ? He has not even played well enough for a .75 mil signing bonus this year and I'm serious too.

His agent should have had a black ski mask on during negotiations.

I didn't think it got that cold in San Diego....Skiing?
Old 12-01-2012, 01:35 AM
Power of 51

Quote:
Originally Posted by charger1_sj View Post

I would take VJ's known production with PR over the unknown for the cost shown above. If you choose Meach/Royal then right now you are suffering in production. In the NFL you pay for production, therefore so far my theory is greater than your theory.

That's correct and spotac, Spock's ears, or whatever isn't going to tell me differently either.

Old 12-01-2012, 01:39 AM
Power of 51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimmy187 View Post
I didn't think it got that cold in San Diego....Skiing?
That should have been our first sign. 90 degrees out and Meachem's agent went straight thug style on us.

Bye bye money $$$

Now that I have thought about it, you know what's great ? AJ.
YEARS of playing hardball with VJ, now look what you did. HA HA HA HA
Oh, I bet he's furious !!!!

Old 12-01-2012, 08:38 AM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chargerfreak View Post
That should have been our first sign. 90 degrees out and Meachem's agent went straight thug style on us.

Bye bye money $$$

Now that I have thought about it, you know what's great ? AJ.
YEARS of playing hardball with VJ, now look what you did. HA HA HA HA
Oh, I bet he's furious !!!!
Riiiiight. And Jackson's agents didn't cause a stir. Nope they were really working hard to negotiate a contract, and not telling Jackson to hold out, and not sign his tag. Nope they were Angels.
Old 12-01-2012, 10:08 AM
Hall of Famer

VJ is a premier NFL receiver who was a KEY to the Charger offense.

AJ felt Meachem and Royal could replace VJ.

AJ was wrong.

You can get into AJ's ego, his hard lining with agents and/or his ability to assess talent and judge his work.

For me, the key to this crash, and the hopes for the future, rest on Spanos, firing AJ.

Do I admit some bias... yep. VJ was a top 3 Charger for me. He, Gates, PR, Floyd, Sproles, etc. THAT was a high powered offense.

AJ must GO.

Old 12-01-2012, 12:46 PM
Power of 51

Quote:
Originally Posted by guerro619 View Post
Riiiiight. And Jackson's agents didn't cause a stir. Nope they were really working hard to negotiate a contract, and not telling Jackson to hold out, and not sign his tag. Nope they were Angels.
Well your post has the one- sided complete bias that we have recently gotten to know real well on here. Outside of that it is dead wrong. Everyone knows it was AJ's mishandling of the entire time of VJ transactions. Hard nosed, ego, we all know the drill.

PS No banning or warnings or crying is ever going to change the facts.

Next