Go Back   The Official Los Angeles Chargers Forum > Chargers Talk > General Discussions
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 09-17-2018, 11:23 AM
<< . . . . . . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by glutton4Bolts View Post
I think it is because they didn't consider it a fumble... i.e. still in "kick return mode" rather than "running" mode.... which is lame... it was a fumble.
the exact phrase was "while still in kick status."

Huh??
Old 09-17-2018, 02:43 PM
vagabond ninja

Quote:
Originally Posted by LongTimeOCBolts View Post

Huh??
yeah what does that mean? It's been kicked. Now it's up to the opposing team to field it cleanly. So it sounds like if you muff the punt then there's no opportunity for the kicking team to jump on it. The returner hadnt completed the catch yet like on offense a catch is only a catch once they make a football move? do NOT understand that call AT ALL!
Old 09-17-2018, 08:06 PM
Hall of Famer

Guys, it's easy. Stupid but easy. The possession does not change until there is possession. It's the same reason why you cannot advance a muffed punt. Stupid rule in this scenario, correctly applied. We are not the first, Google it.

The fumble that wasn't. It was. Her touched the loose ball while out of bounds. Therefore the ball was out of bounds. Possession returns to previous possessor. No conspiracy make up call here.

The TyWill fumble. Well, i think that was a bad call on the field in terms of who recovered. It was never going to be overturned, no matter which way the original field call went.
Old 09-17-2018, 08:27 PM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by LongTimeOCBolts View Post

Huh??
It's like saying the Titanic didn't technically sink, only that it was in the submerging process "while still in water input status."

Old 09-17-2018, 09:41 PM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cthommes View Post
Guys, it's easy. Stupid but easy. The possession does not change until there is possession. It's the same reason why you cannot advance a muffed punt. Stupid rule in this scenario, correctly applied. We are not the first, Google it.

The fumble that wasn't. It was. Her touched the loose ball while out of bounds. Therefore the ball was out of bounds. Possession returns to previous possessor. No conspiracy make up call here.

The TyWill fumble. Well, i think that was a bad call on the field in terms of who recovered. It was never going to be overturned, no matter which way the original field call went.
I dont understand the first part.... in all my years of football i always thought that as soon as the ball is touched it's fair game? Maybe I'm not understanding your "possession" part.

Makes sense about the fumble. I kept saying "his arm isnt out when the ball comes loose."

Stupid rule. One of many in football.
Old 09-18-2018, 12:33 PM
Mo’ Hurts

I still think it's the wrong call on the punt.

If the ball hadn't gone into the endzone and we had recovered at the 2 yd line, that would be a muffed punt and Chargers ball. Happens all the time. Same thing happens on onside kickoffs without a "possession change."

Regarding the TWill fumble, he actually did have possession of the ball. If you watch the replay closely, he has his arm securely around the ball and has possession of it trapped on a Bills players leg. Then a Bills player came in and hooked around TWill's arm and started pulling him backwards which was stupid, dirty, and dangerous as it could have easily broken his arm.
4. Shaquem Griffin, LB
5. Poona Ford, DT
6. Shaun Dion Hamilton, LB
7. Trey Quinn, WR

UDFA. CB Grant Haley, S Troy Apke, OT Korey Cunningham, DE Mike Love

"Penetration is needed" - Woodeye via TT
Old 09-18-2018, 12:35 PM
Pollyana-ish Homer Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by I AMazing I View Post

Regarding the TWill fumble, he actually did have possession of the ball. If you watch the replay closely, he has his arm securely around the ball and has possession of it trapped on a Bills players leg. Then a Bills player came in and hooked around TWill's arm and started pulling him backwards which was stupid, dirty, and dangerous as it could have easily broken his arm.
That's how I saw it as well.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

You want analysis? Don't ask me: I'm just a Pollyanna lying idiotic know-nothing ball-watching stat boy.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 09-18-2018, 12:36 PM
Mo’ Hurts

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYboltfan1 View Post
The Chargers fumble where they ruled him out of bounds was clearly the make up call to compensate for the ridiculous punt muff call.
Strangely enough, that was a legit call. Even though he did lose possession prior to going out of bounds, he was touching the ball while touching out of bounds, which in effect made the ball out of bounds and the play dead... which means possession reverts back to the previous person with possession, being the Chargers player.
4. Shaquem Griffin, LB
5. Poona Ford, DT
6. Shaun Dion Hamilton, LB
7. Trey Quinn, WR

UDFA. CB Grant Haley, S Troy Apke, OT Korey Cunningham, DE Mike Love

"Penetration is needed" - Woodeye via TT