Go Back   The Official Los Angeles Chargers Forum > Chargers Talk > General Discussions
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 09-18-2018, 02:07 PM
First member of the board

Leave it like it is -it's working well. Splitting carries will help them hold up - it's a long season.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 09-18-2018, 03:05 PM
glutton for punishment...

IMO... this thread is kinda silly. We are lucky to have two backs that can get the job done. Gordon has the frame to get more touches... furthermore, he is often running against more men in the box which makes it tougher for him to get big gainers... I think Ekeler will start to see some tougher looks in games to come as opponents key in on his threat on the ground... up to now, I think he has benefited a bit from opposing teams thinking that we are going to throw it when he is on the field... as others have said... it is a long season and relying on a single RB is very difficult. Don't worry about the labels... just let them work in tandem and watch them do their thing. Tough matchup this week though... I am not optimistic.

glutton for punishment.... glutton4Bolts
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 09-18-2018, 03:30 PM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdchrger View Post
My vote is for Gordon and Ekeler.
Concur. I think Ekeler understands the position better but he's not the athlete that MG3 is. Having them both is a nice situation.

Old 09-18-2018, 04:23 PM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK46um View Post
The problem is he's not shifty enough nor has the short area burst to hit the hole before it closes. Running into 300lb defenders isn't fun. He's got a 7+ second 3-cone.

For reference you guys remember Jacob Hester? 3-Cone Drill: 6.85.

Gordon has 4.5 speed but requires open lanes OR throw it to him in space for him to utilize it.
Uh no, he has the speed to hit the hole. He just hesitates/stops his feet constantly before hitting the hole. He’d have a whole lot more yardage if he just ran through the hole instead of stopping his feet, look, then hitting it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bolts4ever21 View Post
Ah, no thanks. That's like saying Sproles should start over LT. The design to have them both play within the flow of the game, is what makes it work.
Sorry, but Gordon ain’t LT. Ekeler is the better RB, he consistently makes more out of nothing than Gordon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeadTrip View Post
Concur. I think Ekeler understands the position better but he's not the athlete that MG3 is. Having them both is a nice situation.
Who cares if MG3 is the better athlete? Who’s the better football player and who consistently creates more? Ekeler does. Now this is not saying Ekeler should all of sudden be the bell cow. But i think it warrants him more touches or at the very least more playing time/snaps with him and Gordon on the field at the same time.

Old 09-18-2018, 04:35 PM
First member of the board

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperBowlBolts View Post
Uh no, he has the speed to hit the hole. He just hesitates/stops his feet constantly before hitting the hole. He’d have a whole lot more yardage if he just ran through the hole instead of stopping his feet, look, then hitting it.
I see it too but I also see RB's being praised for their "patience" for doing the same thing. - Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

Old 09-18-2018, 04:39 PM
its magic & im foolin you

Its nice to have both for their versatility. We dont really need to look at just YPC anymore. Today's RBs really do much more,they block and catch. Here is a couple article i thought was very interesting.

https://www.theringer.com/nfl/2018/8...ra-todd-gurley

Some teams, who still believe in the outdated idea of “establishing the run,” cannot be helped. But everyone else can use this generation of running backs to their advantage.

“I kind of laughed when people said the running back was done,” said Panthers general manager Marty Hurney. “It’s harder to overpower defensive lines now—they’ve gotten so big and so fast. Versatility is more important than it ever has been at that position because I don’t believe you have the guys who come in and pound, downhill road-graders. It’s harder to do that. You have to have a mix of skills.

One of the main skills Hurney references is pass catching. Two running backs had over 750 yards receiving last season—Alvin Kamara and Todd Gurley. That’s happened in only one other year since 2000. In 2014, Le’Veon Bell and Matt Forte both did it. From 2008 to 2012, not one running back eclipsed 750 receiving yards.

RELATED

The Art of Running Back Pass Protection
The Enduring Allure of the Franchise Running Back
How Frank Gore Outran Father Time
The Five Most Essential Running Back Traits
Plus, someone still has to be out there to run play-action. Even though it might not matter who it is, the concept baits linebackers and thus opens up the middle of the field. It’s crucial to modern offenses.

https://www.si.com/nfl/2017/09/12/nf...rd-kareem-hunt

while teams may have returned to valuing running backs on draft day, they still aren’t building around them financially. This spring, as Bell engaged in contract negotiations, Gordon shot him a text. “Hey, bro, I need you,” he said. “You’re setting the market. Don’t settle for less.” (Bell responded: “For sure. I know what I’m worth.”)

Ultimately the Steelers were unwilling to meet Bell’s demands, and he’ll play out this year on a franchise tag. “The running back market definitely took a hit, and I can’t be the guy who continues to let it take a hit,” he said in July. “We do everything. We block, we run, we catch the ball. Our value isn’t where it needs to be. I’m taking it upon myself to open up some eyes and show the position is more valuable.”

Last edited by rcali bolt hed; 09-18-2018 at 04:46 PM..
Old 09-18-2018, 04:54 PM
outback goon

I like them both, but lets be real Gordon runs against more in the box than Ekeler. This will change as opposing DC's gameplan for him.
Old 09-18-2018, 05:29 PM
Hall of Famer

These guys are super heroes with different super powers. In today's NFL no need to choose one guy over another. Love the shifts and sudden change of directions called by Whisenhut on Sunday.

Eckler is quick and fast enough to burst through the line for extra yards. I like how they isolate him out wide on some plays. He's tough to cover in space.

MG has really been outstanding as a receiver out of the backfield. The shuffling in the backfield these guys are too good to stop and stutter. MG can display a nice jump cut to see the hole and explode forward.
Old 09-18-2018, 05:44 PM
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltinabottle View Post

MG has really been outstanding as a receiver out of the backfield. The shuffling in the backfield these guys are too good to stop and stutter. MG can display a nice jump cut to see the hole and explode forward.
Not sure if I recall correctly, but the announcers during the Bills game said the Chargers had Gordon line up as a wide receiver on one play.

Is that correct?
Old 09-19-2018, 01:09 AM
Hall of Famer

They may have I missed the specific play. Against the Cowboys last year, they isolated Austin as a wide out. Rivers hit him downfield for a huge play.

In addition to Allen, Williams 1 and 2 and Benjamin you have to account for Austin at some point in the game. How do you adjust to so many players in space? Coach Lynn looks at various match ups and it's pick your poison. Gordon on a linebacker was too easy resulting in 3 touchdowns.
Quote:
Originally Posted by shruggy View Post
Not sure if I recall correctly, but the announcers during the Bills game said the Chargers had Gordon line up as a wide receiver on one play.

Is that correct?