Go Back   The Official Los Angeles Chargers Forum > Chargers Talk > General Discussions
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 08-12-2018, 05:10 PM
Hall of Famer

Default Justin Jackson out with hamstring injury

In case any of you were wondering why we didn't see Bolt RB and 7th round draft pick Justin Jackson vs. the Cards, I had to do some digging, but here's the reason:

Chargers' Justin Jackson: Suffering from hamstring injury

Justin Jackson suffered a hamstring injury during training camp which is expected to keep him off the field for an extended time, Jack Wang of the Los Angeles Daily News reports.
Jackson is expected to be back healthy at some point during the preseason, but the injury squashes any bit of momentum the Northwestern product had been building in an effort to claim a spot on the 53-man roster. The untimely issue means that undrafted rookie free agents Russell Hansbrough and Detrez Newsome will see an increase in reps. With the No. 3 role behind Melvin Gordon and Austin Ekeler still wide open, either player could wiggle ahead of Jackson if he misses extended time.

https://www.cbssports.com/fantasy/fo...string-injury/

Old 08-12-2018, 06:14 PM
I be humbolt

Quote:
Originally Posted by topcat4477 View Post
In case any of you were wondering why we didn't see Bolt RB and 7th round draft pick Justin Jackson vs. the Cards, I had to do some digging, but here's the reason:

Chargers' Justin Jackson: Suffering from hamstring injury

Justin Jackson suffered a hamstring injury during training camp which is expected to keep him off the field for an extended time, Jack Wang of the Los Angeles Daily News reports.
Jackson is expected to be back healthy at some point during the preseason, but the injury squashes any bit of momentum the Northwestern product had been building in an effort to claim a spot on the 53-man roster. The untimely issue means that undrafted rookie free agents Russell Hansbrough and Detrez Newsome will see an increase in reps. With the No. 3 role behind Melvin Gordon and Austin Ekeler still wide open, either player could wiggle ahead of Jackson if he misses extended time.

https://www.cbssports.com/fantasy/fo...string-injury/
I still think he will be the No. 3 RB. Neither Hansbrough, who was a UDFA last year and didn't look like roster material except in a pinch, nor Newsome have Jackson's pedigree.

BTW, Austin Ekeler is a bonafide stud. Dude was pretty awesome last season; what I saw of him in last night's game looks like he's upped his game. AE backing up MG gives us a pretty good duo; if JJ can bring some of his college mojo to the pro game, we suddenly have a pretty deep RB corps, with three guys who can do damage. I can't say enough about Ekeler...nice burst, great body control and balance. Another UDFA gem...the Chargers' dominance finding and developing these guys is inspiring. No other team in the NFL has as much success as TT and Spanos clan...gotta give them credit.
Old 08-12-2018, 08:30 PM
Hall of Famer

If he's out for an extended period of time maybe he can go on pup?

I don't want him poached by another team.

The NFL should really let 5 of the practice squad be protected.
Old 08-12-2018, 08:37 PM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChargingBolts View Post
If he's out for an extended period of time maybe he can go on pup?

I don't want him poached by another team.

The NFL should really let 5 of the practice squad be protected.

Too late for PUP, that is a before TC designation only.