Go Back   The Official Los Angeles Chargers Forum > Chargers Talk > Quarterback Talk
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 08-25-2018, 08:46 AM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdchrger View Post
Nicís ceiling is QB2 in the CFL until he shows otherwise. I agree that we have a bevy of undrafted rookies this preseason that show real promise. Shimonek isnít one of them. Heís not getting the reps or seeing the field with the ones or twos for a reason. That reason isnít ALís love of Cardale Jones.

"Nicís ceiling is QB2 in the CFL until he shows otherwise."

Nice qualifier.......

Old 08-25-2018, 09:43 AM
First member of the board

Unless they showcase Nic in the second half tonight, the rest of the teams have very little tape of him playing against NFL players. I truly doubt any team will poach him based off of simply his one year starting in college.

Put him on the taxi squad and let him learn all year long, then give him a shot next year.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 08-25-2018, 09:52 AM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chargeroo View Post
Unless they showcase Nic in the second half tonight, the rest of the teams have very little tape of him playing against NFL players. I truly doubt any team will poach him based off of simply his one year starting in college.

Put him on the taxi squad and let him learn all year long, then give him a shot next year.

The bold seems like a reasonable plan.

Old 08-25-2018, 10:02 AM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chargeroo View Post

Sounds like a plan. Hope you're right, Roo...

Old 08-25-2018, 11:38 AM
Go Chargers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by defense4wins View Post
Well tell me then, why are there so many udfa's on teams active list, heck in 2014 there were 400, it's a common place today. That's almost a quarter of a teams active players list. Must be because they are bad, right ? There are guys on teams today that are udfa's that are some of the best players at there positions or were at their prime, and then there are a lot of 1,2,3,4,5,6 and 7th round busts, you just never know who is going to be great and who isn't until they play, that's just a fact.
A solid post! .... there are so many examples of guys around the NFL who were either drafted later or UDFA's who made it, some made it big, heck just look at the Chargers in recent yrs - Ty Will, Trevor Williams, A. Ekeler and on and on, something like 20 straight yrs at least one UDFA has made the Chargers roster.

"you just never know who is going to be great and who isn't until they play"

True statement.

Too bad the Chargers didn't draft late or sign UDFA kicker Justin Tucker 6 or 7 yrs ago, he turned out to be a gem of a find for the Ravens, how come no teams (including the Ravens) drafted him in the late rds?

I don't know what lies ahead for Nic Shimonek, we'll just have to see.

Go Chargers!
Old 08-25-2018, 12:10 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Da_Cha-gers View Post
A solid post! .... there are so many examples of guys around the NFL who were either drafted later or UDFA's who made it, some made it big, heck just look at the Chargers in recent yrs - Ty Will, Trevor Williams, A. Ekeler and on and on, something like 20 straight yrs at least one UDFA has made the Chargers roster.

True statement.

Too bad the Chargers didn't draft late or sign UDFA kicker Justin Tucker 6 or 7 yrs ago, he turned out to be a gem of a find for the Ravens, how come no teams (including the Ravens) drafted him in the late rds?

Go Chargers!
Great example, there are so many around the Nfl.
Old 08-25-2018, 01:09 PM
Hall of Famer

Quote:

True statement.

Go Chargers!

There are 21 undrafted rookies in the Charger camp this preseason. You are correct that about one a year make a significant contribution to the team in their first few seasons. Your three examples all had some buzz about them. Writers &/or coaches telling us how impressed they were. All also got legit playing time in the preseason.

So all of that in mind, who is the 4.8 in a 100 guy this season?

Tony Brown, Zachary Crabtree, D'Juan Hines, JJ Jones, and Ben Johnson seem the most likely. People are talking them up and they are seeing the field.

The way Anthony Lynn talks about his QB's, Nic Shimonek doesn't even exist. I would bet on the five listed to either be the darkhorse(s) or to get poached off of the practice squad.

You guys are like Harry and Lloyd and their one in a million odds. So there's still a chance!!!
Old 08-25-2018, 03:06 PM
Go Chargers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdchrger View Post
There are 21 undrafted rookies in the Charger camp this preseason. You are correct that about one a year make a significant contribution to the team in their first few seasons. Your three examples all had some buzz about them. Writers &/or coaches telling us how impressed they were. All also got legit playing time in the preseason.

So all of that in mind, who is the 4.8 in a 100 guy this season?

Tony Brown, Zachary Crabtree, D'Juan Hines, JJ Jones, and Ben Johnson seem the most likely. People are talking them up and they are seeing the field.

The way Anthony Lynn talks about his QB's, Nic Shimonek doesn't even exist. I would bet on the five listed to either be the darkhorse(s) or to get poached off of the practice squad.

You guys are like Harry and Lloyd and their one in a million odds. So there's still a chance!!!
I'll 'guess' RB Detrez Newsome and possibly D'Juan and JJ .... of the 5 you listed, I haven't heard much about the other 3.

Of the 3 Chargers UDFA's I mentioned and there are others too in recent yrs such as S. Culkin, M. Davis etc. but Ty Will spent much of his 1st season on the PS, I don't know if that's where Nic is headed or not, if so, "he's still got a chance".

He does until he doesn't, Geno has looked respectable but not great to this point, IMO he's the leader for #2, Cardale hasn't impressed me TBH, I can't see much difference from last yr, will they keep him?, is he PS eligible? I don't know and Nic I haven't seen enough to form an opinion, but obviously you have - lol.

Go Chargers!
Old 08-25-2018, 03:27 PM
Pollyana-ish Homer Mod

Quote:
I'll 'guess' RB Detrez Newsome and possibly D'Juan and JJ .... of the 5 you listed, I haven't heard much about the other 3.

Of the 3 Chargers UDFA's I mentioned and there are others too in recent yrs such as S. Culkin, M. Davis etc. but Ty Will spent much of his 1st season on the PS, I don't know if that's where Nic is headed or not, if so, "he's still got a chance".

He does until he doesn't, Geno has looked respectable but not great to this point, IMO he's the leader for #2, Cardale hasn't impressed me TBH, I can't see much difference from last yr, will they keep him?, is he PS eligible? I don't know and Nic I haven't seen enough to form an opinion, but obviously you have - lol.

Go Chargers!
I don't know what they'll do with Cardale (i.e., release him outright), but he is still PS eligible.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

You want analysis? Don't ask me: I'm just a Pollyanna lying idiotic know-nothing ball-watching stat boy.
Old 08-25-2018, 04:56 PM
Go Chargers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeMcRugby View Post
I don't know what they'll do with Cardale (i.e., release him outright), but he is still PS eligible.
Thanks for the info Joe! .... thoughts on Cardale?

Ricky Henne wrote about 10 players to watch in this game and mentions:

QB Cardale Jones Ė Jones is coming off arguably his best week of practice. He showed off his cannon arm on several occasions, including a bullet over the middle for a 35-yard touchdown to JJ Jones. The Ohio State product is also a dual threat and showed off his wheels on a perfect play-action fake, turning the corner and then going off to the races for a long touchdown run.

Unless the light goes on for him starting tonight and he looks noticeably better than he has IMO it's tough to justify a roster spot for him, on Nic I'm 'guessing' we won't see him at all the next 2 games, could be just an xtra camp arm to them and he's gone on cut down day, or do they like what they see but wanna put him on the PS without letting other teams see much of him?, I don't know, we'll find out in time after cuts and formation of the PS.

Go Chargers!