Go Back   The Official Los Angeles Chargers Forum > Chargers Talk > Draft Talk
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 12-04-2018, 02:31 PM
& ramblin' man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boltnut View Post
Germaine Pratt is a thumper. But if I'm going to draft ILB for depth, I'm going to get a guy in the 2nd-4th rounds... and a guy who is better in coverage. A guy I can replace Perryman with in nickel/dime packages. Te'Von Coney, Devin Bush, T.J. Edwards, Joe Bachie, Kendall Joseph, Dakota Allen...
thought about that for a bit, and think that Pratt is pretty much the ideal kind of backup to Denzel, in that I def would like a thumper to pick up where Perryman leaves/left off, and given that Germaine is no liability in pass coverage, 'specially compared to Perryman, as he was a converted/former safety, and.... do agree that prolly 'bout half the guys you mentioned would fill in adequately.... given we were willing to divest of the such in draft capital.

ps. save for Mack Wilson (not sure 'bout him). pretty (darn) solid cluster.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 12-04-2018, 02:34 PM
& ramblin' man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damage Inc View Post
With the exception of offensive tackle, I think the glaring needs are on the defensive side of the ball. In my opinion they need to find a starting DT, ILB, CB & FS in the draft and free agency.
replacing Mebane, Denzel, Verrett and Jahleel ??

do you think Liuget sticks around and how are you w/dipping into FA.... any interest in coughing up the cash for the likes of Earl Thomas ??

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 12-04-2018, 07:10 PM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachcomber View Post
figured I'd (finally) do a mock to up and see how things might unfold, and.... can't see Little lasting past the first and is prolly off the board before the twenties me thinx.

he has been compared to Tunsil, who if I recall you were fond of.... I had him slotted 13 to Philly before they traded up for Wentz.... where would you put Little, and given that he is also compared to Germaine Ifedi, do you think he's Chargers material ??
Kudos on your mock draft... well thought out and researched.

I did like Tunsil a lot. Glad we went with Bosa. I don't think that Little has the feet that Tunsil had. But better feet than Ifedi. I would put Little in the top-25. Would I put him ahead of Dillard in our system...? I wouldn't (for me it's all about the feet) but TT might. It seems that he values run blockers (Okung, Tevi) more than pure pass blockers (Dillard).
4. Kalen Ballage RB
5. Ogbonnia Okoronkwo SAM
6. Andre Smith MIKE
7. Matthew Thomas WILL
Old 12-04-2018, 07:25 PM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
thought about that for a bit, and think that Pratt is pretty much the ideal kind of backup to Denzel, in that I def would like a thumper to pick up where Perryman leaves/left off, and given that Germaine is no liability in pass coverage, 'specially compared to Perryman, as he was a converted/former safety, and.... do agree that prolly 'bout half the guys you mentioned would fill in adequately.... given we were willing to divest of the such in draft capital.

ps. save for Mack Wilson (not sure 'bout him). pretty (darn) solid cluster.
Pratt is a very good comparison to Perryman. Perryman has improved his pass coverage. Still not known as a good coverage ILB. The problem with Perryman is his durability. Maybe if we got him off the field in dime/nickel situations, he might stay healthy a full season. For that reason, I wish we could get a backup MIKE that excelled in coverage. It's the reason I put Mack Wilson in my 1st round cluster. I do have reservations about spending 1st round capital on an ILB, though. Only if TT's thought was to replace Perryman once his contract is up. The best scenario would be to find a good coverage ILB in the 3rd or 4th round. I think I lean that way. The other thing we could do is commit to moving Phillips to WILL full time and moving Jatavis to MIKE and rotating Jatavis and Perryman. We'll get to see Jatavis more at MIKE these next weeks. Jatavis has had a bounce-back season thus far.
4. Kalen Ballage RB
6. Andre Smith MIKE
7. Matthew Thomas WILL
Old 12-06-2018, 12:25 AM
& ramblin' man

it's official, and personally.... am willing to burn our first for him.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/draft2019/st...ason-nfl-draft

Old 12-06-2018, 06:59 AM
Power of 51

Quote:
it's official, and personally.... am willing to burn our first for him.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/draft2019/st...ason-nfl-draft

The fourth-year junior has thrown for 2,421 yards, 13 touchdowns and five interceptions this season.
ESPN NFL draft expert Mel Kiper Jr. lists Stidham as the 10th best draft-eligible quarterback.
Old 12-06-2018, 12:49 PM
& ramblin' man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chargerfreak View Post
The fourth-year junior has thrown for 2,421 yards, 13 touchdowns and five interceptions this season.
ESPN NFL draft expert Mel Kiper Jr. lists Stidham as the 10th best draft-eligible quarterback.
w/all due respect to MK Ultra, and given that there's about a 50 percent success rate (@best) w/QBs in the draft, will volunteer that there are about five or so QBs worth drafting (out of your/his purported top ten signal callers), when all is said and done.

Justin Herbert, Daniel Jones, Dwayne Haskins, Ryan Finley and Stidham.

don't think it's time to look a gift horse in the mouth, as 'tis rare to find a legit starting QB @the back of the first.

hopefully the others will be off the board before Stidham, and/or teams decide to wait until the top of the second for their QB of choice.... which would in theory leave Stidham available @twentysomething for us.

and as personally don't think Lock is anything of a lock, that Thorsen has el terrible metrics, and that Grier and others might have a few good games/seasons, albeit in the long haul that Stidham will turn into a legit starting NFL QB, and well worth the first round gambit/investment.

Old 12-06-2018, 01:15 PM
Power of 51

Quote:
w/all due respect to MK Ultra, and given that there's about a 50 percent success rate (@best) w/QBs in the draft, will volunteer that there are about five or so QBs worth drafting (out of your/his purported top ten signal callers), when all is said and done.

Justin Herbert, Daniel Jones, Dwayne Haskins, Ryan Finley and Stidham.

don't think it's time to look a gift horse in the mouth, as 'tis rare to find a legit starting QB @the back of the first.

hopefully the others will be off the board before Stidham, and/or teams decide to wait until the top of the second for their QB of choice.... which would in theory leave Stidham available @twentysomething for us.

and as personally don't think Lock is anything of a lock, that Thorsen has el terrible metrics, and that Grier and others might have a few good games/seasons, albeit in the long haul that Stidham will turn into a legit starting NFL QB, and well worth the first round gambit/investment.
It ain't MY 10th best QB. However, to summarize, Kiper's 10th best QB, he's a junior coming out early, his TD to Int ratio is garbage, and you want to use a 1st round draft pick on him.

Is that about right ?
Old 12-06-2018, 02:26 PM
& ramblin' man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chargerfreak View Post
It ain't MY 10th best QB. However, to summarize, Kiper's 10th best QB, he's a junior coming out early, his TD to Int ratio is garbage, and you want to use a 1st round draft pick on him.

Is that about right ?
junior coming out early.... opportunity knocks as no tellin' where he'd be after his senior season, and given that plenty of scouts/draftniks surmised before this season that he was the one prospect that could make a large jump in the rankings.... (he didn't, alas you will have to make a most discerning/shrewd evaluation of his situation, and as compared to our need @QB, for the if and when inevitable).

his TD to INT ratio is garbage.... in fact most all his relevant stats have declined since @Baylor, and again as a shrewd evaluator of talent, are his metrics due to a decline in talent, or is it more a reflection of the scheme/personnel around him.

and you want to use a first round pick on him.... getting my request in early, as yes think he will rise during the draft process, and.... guessin' he will def be off the board by the time we pick in the second.

Old 12-06-2018, 06:30 PM
Hall of Famer

Rivers is having one of his best years, always stays in shape, and is very durable. I'm guessing that his competitive nature will make him want to play 4 more years. The Chargers will want name recognition moving in to the new stadium... hence, need PR for several more years. I wouldn't be looking for a starting caliber QB just yet.

Haven't had my eye on QB's. But Stidham in the 1st seems too high.
4. Kalen Ballage RB
6. Andre Smith MIKE
7. Matthew Thomas WILL