Chargers Header
Forum Home News Media Vault Schedule Team Charger Girls Tickets Fan Zone Community En Espaņol Fantasy Football Pro Shop

Go Back   The Official Los Angeles Chargers Forum > Chargers Talk > Draft Talk
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 12-01-2012, 02:16 PM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by chargersfan85 View Post
Yes it was a pectoral injury.

I think we should start Molk right now at center or guard even just find some place for him, sign a veteran RT just for a few years then draft Jockle/Matthews in the first, and then get another tackle in the 3rd round and let him sit for a year or two and learn behind the vet tackle we bring in.

Then we could have a line that looks like Jockle/Matthews, Troutman, Molk, Vasquez, a Vet tackle. The weak link would then be Vasquez instead of the whole line
I don't understand why so many people are high on 7th rounder Molk coming off of a foot injury or 5th rounder Troutman coming off of a torn Pec. It would be great if either of them could become quality starters but it's not something we can rely on. Neither of them have shown anything at the NFL level so penciling them in as starters, better starters than we have, is very premature.

I think C and LG need to be looked at very carefully this offseason. Green is our weakest link besides MAYBE UDFA Harris and he is as weak at the point of attack as Hardwick. They don't work well together. Hardwick has proven to be a pretty good C so I'd look at a stud LG first. That would go a long way towards keeping a clean pocket for PR, then much of the pressure around the edge would be negated.

I sure wish we would have inked Nicks or Grubbs last offseason.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 12-01-2012, 02:20 PM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeadTrip View Post
I don't understand why so many people are high on 7th rounder Molk coming off of a foot injury or 5th rounder Troutman coming off of a torn Pec. It would be great if either of them could become quality starters but it's not something we can rely on. Neither of them have shown anything at the NFL level so penciling them in as starters, better starters than we have, is very premature.

I think C and LG need to be looked at very carefully this offseason. Green is our weakest link besides MAYBE UDFA Harris and he is as weak at the point of attack as Hardwick. They don't work well together. Hardwick has proven to be a pretty good C so I'd look at a stud LG first. That would go a long way towards keeping a clean pocket for PR, then much of the pressure around the edge would be negated.

I sure wish we would have inked Nicks or Grubbs last offseason.
I cant say why everyone else is high on troutman and molk but the reason I am saying it is because what we have clearly isnt working so we might as well give it a shot. Hardwick isnt as good as he use to be and Green isnt what we had hoped so at this point in the season I would leave Hardwick in there and put Molk in for Green and see how he handles it
Old 12-01-2012, 02:44 PM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
I cant say why everyone else is high on troutman and molk but the reason I am saying it is because what we have clearly isnt working so we might as well give it a shot. Hardwick isnt as good as he use to be and Green isnt what we had hoped so at this point in the season I would leave Hardwick in there and put Molk in for Green and see how he handles it
That makes sense, I wouldn't mind getting the young guys some game time at all, especially once we are officially eliminated from the playoffs. Put Molk at center, his natural position, and see if he's got what it takes, then we can accurately assess what we have at C before the draft. If he's good we can scratch that need off the list.

I don't think we can wait for Troutman though. I think LG is one of our biggest needs and if the right guy is available we should pull the trigger.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 12-01-2012, 02:59 PM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
That makes sense, I wouldn't mind getting the young guys some game time at all, especially once we are officially eliminated from the playoffs. Put Molk at center, his natural position, and see if he's got what it takes, then we can accurately assess what we have at C before the draft. If he's good we can scratch that need off the list.

I don't think we can wait for Troutman though. I think LG is one of our biggest needs and if the right guy is available we should pull the trigger.
I think we can only because the pressure usually comes from the outside and tackle is more important than guard. And we have the worst tackle and a bottom 10 tackle so that is a bigger need. Green is at least average and at least can get in someones way. And if Troutman does come in and play well then that pick was worth it and it would be dumb to risk a high pick on one. I rather build outside in.
Old 12-01-2012, 03:13 PM
Draft This Man

Quote:

Troutman isn't necessarily going to be our LG, could play RG. We should try Vasquez at LG.

sean of BSX
Old 12-01-2012, 03:13 PM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
I think we can only because the pressure usually comes from the outside and tackle is more important than guard. And we have the worst tackle and a bottom 10 tackle so that is a bigger need. Green is at least average and at least can get in someones way. And if Troutman does come in and play well then that pick was worth it and it would be dumb to risk a high pick on one. I rather build outside in.
IMO the tackles are not good and we go into this offseason with the mindset that we need to get better. That said, they look worse than they are because of the interior line play. When the tackles get beat around the edge it is ALWAYS resulting in a sack because Rivers has nowhere to go. If he had a pocket to step into I think a solid 1/3rd of the sacks would be eliminated and the pressure reduced by a huge margin. He would simply step up into a clean pocket if he were getting pressure around the ende.

Now getting a solid pocket might require upgrading both C and LG and I don't know if that's feasible. Maybe just one upgrade is necessary. Either way, it is absolutely critical that our less-than-mobile QB be given a pocket to step into. Dielman helped a lot for many years, now that he's gone PR has no where to go and is posting one of his worst seasons.

I'm really hoping there is a guard worth taking at one of our slots in the first 3 rounds. I've been hoping for Oline picks for years though.

Old 12-01-2012, 03:15 PM
Green text is the worst

Quote:
I like that idea, but it still doesn't do anything to address the fact that PR doesn't have a pocket to step up into. That Green/Hardwick combo is killing Rivers. At least one of them has got to go, preferably Green.
Definitely preferably Green. I agree that Hardwick is on the decline, but he still is responsible for all of the calls at the line and making sure that everyone knows their assignment. There are a lot of things that he is relied upon for that go unseen. And while it would be premature to say that Molk is definitely the future there, it's encouraging that he's been good enough to warrant the "6th lineman" position on heavy sets.

Old 12-01-2012, 03:24 PM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kemp17 View Post
Definitely preferably Green. I agree that Hardwick is on the decline, but he still is responsible for all of the calls at the line and making sure that everyone knows their assignment. There are a lot of things that he is relied upon for that go unseen. And while it would be premature to say that Molk is definitely the future there, it's encouraging that he's been good enough to warrant the "6th lineman" position on heavy sets.
I agree thats why I said maybe try Molk at guard because it would be hard for Rivers to change centers this late in the season even if there is nothing to play for I still dont want to see him get killed anymore than he already is
Old 12-01-2012, 04:09 PM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JammerHammer23 View Post
Troutman isn't necessarily going to be our LG, could play RG. We should try Vasquez at LG.
That could work, although I don't know if it's wise to move Vasquez when he's already pretty good where he is. I guess the advantage is that it would give us some flexability when chosing the other G. A RG is traditionally easier to find.

Old 12-02-2012, 02:57 AM
Rookie

where's Jon Runyan when you need him