Chargers Header
Forum Home News Media Vault Schedule Team Charger Girls Tickets Fan Zone Community En Espaņol Fantasy Football Pro Shop

Go Back   The Official Los Angeles Chargers Forum > Chargers Talk > Draft Talk
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 12-05-2012, 11:37 PM
Paradise is on the left.

On the other hand, what if we were able to get a 1st and a couple other draft picks, say from the Jets for Rivers. They'll be picking relatively high as well, so this will be a good pick.

Now, instead of focusing on the offense right now, why not turn around and keep addressing and fortifying this defense. The Ravens won a SB with a good, but not even close to an upper echelon QB and a good running game. That can still work. This draft doesn't offer the big QB you hope for, but there is depth, and some good prospects will be there in the 2nd and 3rd rounds.

Perhaps the young S from LSU, Eric Reid, and a stud pass rusher in the 1st, and then go after offense with the rest of our picks, with one of those a QB. By the time the young defense comes of age, say two years, the QB should also be coming around so that he is not going to lose games for us. Come up with your OL and a RB and we too could win with specatular defense and a steady, yet not spectacular offense.
Old 12-06-2012, 05:34 AM
Green text is the worst

Quote:
Originally Posted by flwelshman View Post
You surprise me here. I agree with a different assessment you made in another post concerning Gaither. We are stuck with that contract, thus him. We also know that when he feels like it, he plays, and plays at a high level, but to expect someone to take his salary and give us a pick as well is really a pipe dream, which you seem to understand.

However, the original post you made that I'm referring to is the one where you spoke about drafting an OT who probably plays OLT in college right now (Joeckel, Lewan, or Fisher) and installing him at ORT now and who might also offer a better option at OLT should Gaither suffer another hangnail injury than Harris.

This is in line with how I've looked at the situation. If, as you suggest here, we were able to somehow sucker someone into a deal like this, then it might be a package deal that includes River, because putting Rivers behind an OL with two rookie OTs, unless were were to get like Jake Long, is likely to turn into deja vu all over again with the OL issues as the youngsters get schooled by veteran NFL DEs and OLBs. And then instead of OT, we can add QB to the top of our draft board.
I'm just spit-balling. If Gaither's money wasn't guaranteed I would be in favor of cutting him and spending that money on a slightly less talented but more durable player (like Will Beatty). But as you said, we're stuck, unless some team wanted to trade for him and take on that contract. Probably not going to happen.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 12-06-2012, 10:16 AM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by flwelshman View Post
On the other hand, what if we were able to get a 1st and a couple other draft picks, say from the Jets for Rivers. They'll be picking relatively high as well, so this will be a good pick.

Now, instead of focusing on the offense right now, why not turn around and keep addressing and fortifying this defense. The Ravens won a SB with a good, but not even close to an upper echelon QB and a good running game. That can still work. This draft doesn't offer the big QB you hope for, but there is depth, and some good prospects will be there in the 2nd and 3rd rounds.

Perhaps the young S from LSU, Eric Reid, and a stud pass rusher in the 1st, and then go after offense with the rest of our picks, with one of those a QB. By the time the young defense comes of age, say two years, the QB should also be coming around so that he is not going to lose games for us. Come up with your OL and a RB and we too could win with specatular defense and a steady, yet not spectacular offense.
Defense wins championships. But if the Qb keeps throwing pick 6's the defense is out of the picture.

Bottom line we cannot proceed with the offense the way it is. The saying that defense wins championships makes some assumptions about the offense. Like for example that you have one.

We start by fixing the O line and go from there. We are in full rebuild mode when even PR job is not secure especially if a new GM, HC come in.
Old 12-06-2012, 10:24 AM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by charger1_sj View Post
Defense wins championships. But if the Qb keeps throwing pick 6's the defense is out of the picture.

Bottom line we cannot proceed with the offense the way it is. The saying that defense wins championships makes some assumptions about the offense. Like for example that you have one.

We start by fixing the O line and go from there. We are in full rebuild mode when even PR job is not secure especially if a new GM, HC come in.
That is a gross exaggeration.

The Chargers are in better shape then the Colts in 2011, or even the Chargers from 2003. If they make the right personnel moves, they could be a playoff caliber team next year.

Hell, if the o-line was simply average, we would be in the driver seat for a wild card berth.
Old 12-06-2012, 10:57 AM
He's Alive, Jim.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Game3524 View Post

The Chargers are in better shape then the Colts in 2011, or even the Chargers from 2003. If they make the right personnel moves, they could be a playoff caliber team next year.

Hell, if the o-line was simply average, we would be in the driver seat for a wild card berth.
Hurts so good.
Old 12-06-2012, 11:04 AM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kemp17 View Post
I am going to get really sick of seeing mock drafts that have us taking Jake Matthews in the top 10.
I hope you are being sarcastic Kemp, I would truly love to get this guy, and would probably bet money that is our first pick!
Old 12-06-2012, 11:10 AM
Hall of Famer

Quote:

My opinion is that we need 4-5 new starting O line guys. Then PR needs to be evaluated. We also lack game changers at WRs. TE is getting old. RBs can be upgraded as Mathews is the only game changer and when he's out we have nothing.

On D we definitely can use upgrades at CB, both sides. Still need an OLB. Ilb looks a little weak as well. Still need a starting quality safety.

I count 6 or 7 guys of offense and 4 on D. That's 11 guys pretty major rebuild. If PR needs to be replaced it's full mode rebuild.

And that's just on the field. We still would be looking at HC, OC and possibly DC. GM another matter.

We are in rebuild mode whether you wish to acknowledge it or not. It's just a matter of how long it will take to rebuild the team. We have a core group of guys on D that could be around for the next 3-5 years. That's about it.
Old 12-06-2012, 11:27 AM
Green text is the worst

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhchargerfan View Post
I hope you are being sarcastic Kemp, I would truly love to get this guy, and would probably bet money that is our first pick!
I am not. He's a right tackle who should stay at right tackle at the next level. He's tough, nasty, and strong... all of which I like. But he doesn't have left tackle feet or athelticism and isn't worth a top 10 pick. He's probably going to slide below where he's being rated currently. Either later in the first or high in the second (a la Reiff, Bulaga, Martin, Glenn, etc). He'd be a fine target if we're trading back but where we'll likely be picking he would be a reach. I'd put Joeckel, Lewan, and Fisher all above him, let alone players at other positions.

Now please do tell me how awesome his blood lines are.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 12-06-2012, 11:36 AM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by charger1_sj View Post
My opinion is that we need 4-5 new starting O line guys. Then PR needs to be evaluated. We also lack game changers at WRs. TE is getting old. RBs can be upgraded as Mathews is the only game changer and when he's out we have nothing.

On D we definitely can use upgrades at CB, both sides. Still need an OLB. Ilb looks a little weak as well. Still need a starting quality safety.

I count 6 or 7 guys of offense and 4 on D. That's 11 guys pretty major rebuild. If PR needs to be replaced it's full mode rebuild.

And that's just on the field. We still would be looking at HC, OC and possibly DC. GM another matter.

We are in rebuild mode whether you wish to acknowledge it or not. It's just a matter of how long it will take to rebuild the team. We have a core group of guys on D that could be around for the next 3-5 years. That's about it.
Oh, I agree that they have holes and they won't fix all of them in one year(you never do.). But can they make enough moves, like add a tackle or two and be competitive next year? Yes, I think so.
Old 12-06-2012, 11:52 AM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Oh, I agree that they have holes and they won't fix all of them in one year(you never do.). But can they make enough moves, like add a tackle or two and be competitive next year? Yes, I think so.
It's going to take more than a tackle or two. Without Mathews we are devoid of any big time play makers on offense. We don't have a legit #1 receiver and Gates is no longer able to get the seperation he once did. I attended a couple games live this year and it's easy to see part of the reason PR struggles. Our receivers do not get seperation and when they do it's often too late and PR doesn't see it because at that point the play has broken down. PR is not the type of Qb that can extend plays as we all know. In other words the talent on O needs some major improvement.

The interior of our Oline is also in sorry shape. Hardwick maybe done and Green is not cutting it. Our running game is also greatly effected by the condition of our O line.

I do not think there is an easy fix. We won't get four new O line starters from the draft. We definitely can do better than we did this year. But to be clear we're talking about making the PO and being competitive when we get there. Can we patch thing up so that we get to 8-8, 9-7 sure.
Can we get to 12-4, probably not.

I'm more bullish on our D but that unit is not championship quality just yet.